• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEKKI

oh yeay, if any gaf hoppers are in LA/socal area, u should go to this on saturday:

funkollective_043011+%25281%2529.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=211192995576452

it's an event to raise money for Kool Herc; which if u havent heard the news:

http://theurbandaily.com/gossip-new...hospitalized-in-need-of-financial-assistance/

but yeay, open mic & open floor abd it's for a good cause, should be dope if u like hiphop.

overcast

enzo_gt said:
Okay now time to go back and digest all of that. If I made my top 10 albums of all time, GAF-Hop would shake their heads and exile me forever from here. I simply haven't listened to many/enough albums. I'll have you know I've never listened to Atmosphere, ever.
Listen to them!
Edit: Words I never said video isn't that bad. Pretentious as hell. But that Lupe kung fu section was hilarious.

coldvein

Banned
"atmosphere is quite emo" what does that even mean? really, what do you mean when you say that?

@siddx .. hard for me to say what the best atmosphere album is, but it CANT be lemons. gotta be sevens travels or god loves ugly. sevens has the harder kinda edgier sound, which i prefer, but i think god loves ugly is the best, lyrically. i felt kinda lukewarm about lemons. some really really good songs, but i found most of it not that interesting.

Acid08

Banned
siddx said:
I'm going to bed, I expect to see lists and lots of angry fighting tomorrow when I wake up. I also expect Wiz to still be softer than a melted milkshake dribbling outta diddy's buttcheeks.
Softer than a jello milkshake in a sippy cup.

Kimosabae said:
I like 'None Shall Pass' less and less everytime I hear it. It was my second favorite after Float when it released, but as the years passed, it hasn't held it's age as well as his fan favorites - and for good reason - the subject matter is more digestible (relative to Ace) but largely more disposable (again, relative to Ace).

Personally it's my favorite because the production was outstanding. He has great beats on all his albums but that one really mixes things up and uses a wide range of styles, making every track feel like a completely different experience. I can see how that could turn some people off, but I love that type of variety in my music.

CRS

Quik killed it tonight. Would rap a couple of songs, get on the turntables for a song, and then go back to rapping more. The whole crowd was into it and feeling it. He did an awesome Nate Dogg tribute in the middle of the set and ended with a short Michael Jackson tribute at the end. Quik has got some moves. Wish everyone would perform the way Quik did tonight. Hip-hop shows would be a lot better.

m3k

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Quik killed it tonight. Would rap a couple of songs, get on the turntables for a song, and then go back to rapping more. The whole crowd was into it and feeling it. He did an awesome Nate Dogg tribute in the middle of the set and ended with a short Michael Jackson tribute at the end. Quik has got some moves. Wish everyone would perform the way Quik did tonight. Hip-hop shows would be a lot better.

sounds nice although i never knew many of quicks songs i like hearing that sort of thing... when i watched mos def once i had that feeling too

not asking that rappers sing and dance but sometimes it makes it a nice package... or just get a really good band to play with you

ive seen some shocking bands play with rappers

The M.O.B

I hate when rappers just have a Dj set behind them and a crap ton of other people on stage with no purpose.

If they don't have a band backing them then they should atleast put some of that money into a nice setup(fog machines, some special laser effects or something, maybe some dramatic intermissions ala Kanye's performances.). Dont just have a giant stage with all yo groupies behind you. (ex. Gucci, waka, any other "hood" rapper.)

CRS

Having a live band perform your songs is a sure way to have a great show but Quik showed me that you can have a performance just as excellent without. After seeing Quik and People Under the Stairs, I think I prefer small venues over bigger stages. Being much closer to the stage helps out a lot.

Quik had two other rappers with him on the stage, his DJ on the turntables, a few "groupies" to the side, and his bodyguard on the other side of the stage. The "groupies" were barely noticeable and all they did were recording video footage.

The only problem I have is when the rapper has a buddy or two that just "chip in" during the song. Quik didn't have anyone backing him up and I was very grateful for that.

m3k

i saw bizzy and wish bone perform the other day and they were great... it was a smallish place which i think is ideal for hiphop, also granted it was bonethugs and theyve been doing it for 20 years apparently but since they harmonised a bit it really added alot to the performance... breaking it up just from talking and rapping

big places are shit unless you are up front or have a nice view away from some of the dickheads that are unavoidable at any concert/gig

Detox

Here's my top 10
1. Illmatic. I just listened to any type of music didn't really care for any genre and just went with whatever was the sound for that month. A friend recommended this to me and after two listens I was hooked. Nas’s flow is just so smooth which I’ve found is very unique to QB. The beats are just amazing those guys were ahead of their time and I think the competition between the producers really made them work on some of the greatest sounds in music. Nas brought some really good complex rhymes and everything in the album just fits together perfectly. Illmatic made me a Nas stan on some days this list would be filled with just Nas albums but I’m just going to keep it down to one. And yes I can listen to most of Nastradamus with no problem.

2. 36 Chambers. This album is just so fucking raw, RZA’s dirty beats are amazing. The Wu were all united they had no petty beef with each other and none of RZA’s WC’s are on this. Lyrically and in terms of flow they are all unique and it’s testament to RZA’s ability to get so many great MC’s to flow on one beat. On their own each member is a legend and together Wu is the definition of the super group. RZA, GZA and Ins Deck brought a lot of powerful lyrics while Ghostface and Rae did their Mafioso shit while ODB and Meth was the crazy fuckers; and U-God well he’s U-God.

3. Ready to Die. Big is so talented at bringing stories to life. It’s like he’s just talking to you and the picture just starts forming in your head. His rhymes were on point and they just stacked so smoothly on to each other. In terms of gangster rap he had it all crime, drugs, violence mixed with emotion. Diddy made sure the production was always tight and I love some of the funky beats on there.

4. 2001. I prefer this over the Chronic mainly because it’s got less G-Funk. I’m not dissing Chronic but I sometimes find it hard to listen with all the strings but it is still a classic. Anyway back to 2001, Dre was going through tough patch at the time and it was probably Em blowing up that saved him but you can see the hunger in this album. Dre may not have written the lyrics but he made sure they were on point and were about what he wanted. Still Dre is still one of those songs that can get a crowd growing crazy among so many other classics forgot about Dre, xxplosive, the watcher etc. My favourite song on the album has to be The Message because Dre proves he can do more than just club bangers and West Coast gangster rap. I would love for him to do a whole album in the style of the message proving to the mainstream that hiphop can be so much more powerful. In terms of the beats what can I say he pioneered a new sound for the millennium.

5. By All Means Necessary. There are many more KRS albums I could have chosen but I just think if you want to know what KRS’s style is like then this should be enough to let you know. KRS is one of my top MC’s and I still listen to all his new stuff where there might be a few bad tracks while the rest range from good to amazing. This was after Scott La Rock’s murder and I like the different direction KRS went in.

6. The Infamous. This is the Mobb Deep sound everyone wants them to come back to. The beats are so moody and dark without being as dirty as RZA’s. Some really raw tracks are on this album and Prodigy and Havoc just really brought that real grimey nature of the projects to life.

7. Eminem Show. It was either this or the Slim Shady LP. I just went with this because it is slightly more listenable than SS where I pretty much know all the lyrics and the shocking lines. Em really showed he had more in him than just being a guy with a fucked up mind from a trailer park. Every single song on there and the skits are vintage Em. He pisses you off and makes some nice thought provoking statements all at the same time. It’s like Em on Renegade made a whole album using that style.

8. Death Certificate. Pure raw Ice Cube. Cube is basically the king of west coast gangster rap. From the stories in My Summer Vacation, Look who’s Burnin and Steady Mobbin to more straight gangster shit Cube has it all. This album also has the second best diss song ever after Ether with No Vaseline. The beats got a nice George Clinton funky vibe to them which leads on to my question what happened to the Boogiemen who did most of the producing on this?

9. Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous. Like BIG, L could stack rhymes like it’s nothing. Like he said himself “I'm so ahead of my time my parents haven't met yet.” Lord Finesse really made sure all the beats were tight. You can listen to this album from start to finish and will just hit replay as soon as it’s over to get all the crazy lines L came up with. L is up there with the most talented MC’s of all time.

10. Moment of Truth. I chose this over hard to earn just because it has The Militia. This album is just Gangstarr doing their thing. Premier brings the beats, Guru the lyrics with his classic monotone style. They suit each other so well and this album is just a joy to listen to.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My top 10 based solely on personal preference/amount listened to.

1. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool. A dark, moody, intelligent and thoroughly entertaining concept album. While there are certainly more records with far more impact and popularity, this is a personal favorite of mine. It's gotten more spins than damn near anything else on this list.

2. NaS - Illmatic. Do I really have to explain this one? It's on damn near every list for a reason. It's really fucking good and stands the test of time.

3. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold. Another recent record, but one that has, according to my iTunes playlist, got more plays than anything save my number one. It's that rare record where I never skip a track and know all the words.

4. Big - Life After Death. I can't explain it, but for some reason this one gelled with me more than Ready to Die. I think due to a combo of when it was released and Notorious Thugs/Hypnotize/Ten Crack Commandments.

5. Tupac - Me Against the World - While I like more of Pac's songs than Big, his was more scattershot. This record had more tracks I liked than any of his others.

6. Eminem - Slim Shady LP. This album blew a lot of minds. It wasn't until his follow up that he was taken seriously as a rapper, but this one is my favorite simply due to the shock factor of it, and the connection I felt with Rock Bottom. Very entertaining, even if I think it's the one that will age the worst.

7. Kanye West - College Dropout. Before he lost his damn mind, Kanye used to be a fairly down to earth guy. This record if played next to MBDTF would seem like two different people if not for the similar voice and familiar cadence of West's vocals. Dropout had a lot of relatable tracks, whereas his more recent efforts are relatable to only a handful of the richest and most glammed out frauds. He'll never make another "Through the Wire" or "Spaceship" but that's okay. At least he did at one point.

8. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt. Another predictable entry. Can't be helped though, as Brooklyn's Finest, Dead Presidents, Feelin' It, D'Evils, 22 Two's and Can't I Live might be the best 6 track run in the history of rap.

9. Nappy Roots - Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz. Southern rappers from Kentucky. Unlikely as this record being on anybodies top 10, but I bumped this for 2 years straight. Ballin' on a Budget, Life is a Bitch, Start it Over, Awnam, Po Folks and Country Boys are all amazing tracks that I've listened to about 1,000,000 times.

10. The Roots - Game Theory . I honestly could have put this, Busta's The Big Bang, Obie's Cheers, Rhymefest's Blue Collar, Clipse's When the Casket Drops or Snoops or Cubes debut albums. But I'm a sucker for dark beats and themes and Black Thought is at his best when tackling meaty tracks like 'Don't Feel Right."

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Woooow I can't believe I forgot Me Against the World. Definitely in my top 20, and maybe even top 10.
Watermelon Chicken and Gritz deserved mention from me too.

see5harp

Can southern rappers stop saying people "forgot about the south." No actually I think the average rap audience is very aware of your existance.

EDIT: and yea I prefer shows with live musicians but if you're good enough like De La Soul you don't necessarily need one. The majority of rappers out there are not good performers and I would not pay to see them again.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
siddx said:
Woooow I can't believe I forgot Me Against the World. Definitely in my top 20, and maybe even top 10.
Watermelon Chicken and Gritz deserved mention from me too.

As always, you have good taste.

kamspy said:
Yeah I can co-sign Nappy Roots too. I wonder what happened to them.

They sort of fizzled out. I think they're all more or less pursuing solo careers/other jobs in the music industry. They did put out an album recently, but it was clearly a half-ass effort. Decent, but not spectacular. Their hearts just aren't in it any more.

Detox

Is there no tracklisting for that? Probably just RZA's WC's then. Someone bite the bullet or we just wait to see if it's 36 chambers Wu which I doubt as it would probably have been a full album.

RJT

WanderingWind said:
My top 10 based solely on personal preference/amount listened to.

1. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool. A dark, moody, intelligent and thoroughly entertaining concept album. While there are certainly more records with far more impact and popularity, this is a personal favorite of mine. It's gotten more spins than damn near anything else on this list.

2. NaS - Illmatic. Do I really have to explain this one? It's on damn near every list for a reason. It's really fucking good and stands the test of time.

3. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold. Another recent record, but one that has, according to my iTunes playlist, got more plays than anything save my number one. It's that rare record where I never skip a track and know all the words.

4. Big - Life After Death. I can't explain it, but for some reason this one gelled with me more than Ready to Die. I think due to a combo of when it was released and Notorious Thugs/Hypnotize/Ten Crack Commandments.

5. Tupac - Me Against the World - While I like more of Pac's songs than Big, his was more scattershot. This record had more tracks I liked than any of his others.

6. Eminem - Slim Shady LP. This album blew a lot of minds. It wasn't until his follow up that he was taken seriously as a rapper, but this one is my favorite simply due to the shock factor of it, and the connection I felt with Rock Bottom. Very entertaining, even if I think it's the one that will age the worst.

7. Kanye West - College Dropout. Before he lost his damn mind, Kanye used to be a fairly down to earth guy. This record if played next to MBDTF would seem like two different people if not for the similar voice and familiar cadence of West's vocals. Dropout had a lot of relatable tracks, whereas his more recent efforts are relatable to only a handful of the richest and most glammed out frauds. He'll never make another "Through the Wire" or "Spaceship" but that's okay. At least he did at one point.

8. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt. Another predictable entry. Can't be helped though, as Brooklyn's Finest, Dead Presidents, Feelin' It, D'Evils, 22 Two's and Can't I Live might be the best 6 track run in the history of rap.

9. Nappy Roots - Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz. Southern rappers from Kentucky. Unlikely as this record being on anybodies top 10, but I bumped this for 2 years straight. Ballin' on a Budget, Life is a Bitch, Start it Over, Awnam, Po Folks and Country Boys are all amazing tracks that I've listened to about 1,000,000 times.

10. The Roots - Game Theory . I honestly could have put this, Busta's The Big Bang, Obie's Cheers, Rhymefest's Blue Collar, Clipse's When the Casket Drops or Snoops or Cubes debut albums. But I'm a sucker for dark beats and themes and Black Thought is at his best when tackling meaty tracks like 'Don't Feel Right."

Substitute Lupe with Black Star and add 36 Chambers at number 3 (removing Nappy Roots), and this would be pretty much my list.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Yelawolf is from the gutter and his live shows are off the hook.

I did say usually, and, i think its more of a problem with the mainstream hood rappers. Now, my love for gangster rap lived and died with the old west coast, so im not exactly unbiased.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I wouldn't call yelawolf a hood rapper, at least not in the same grunting, babbling, often incoherent way gucci and wacka are. Yela makes an effort to write lyrics, while someone like wacka just throws words out there and makes sure at least two of them rhyme.

SUPREME1

Banned
DJ Quik - Safe and Sound : This album could very very easily slide into the top 10 at any time. Just a few days ago it was, but I am so damn ADD I can barely keep a top ten list the same from hour to hour. I have no doubt it will be back in the top 10 within the week. Just a brilliant display of west coast gangsta funk, done with more intelligence and creativity than Dre could ever hope.

Someone actually recognized DJ Quik on GAF???

I really am shocked. And delighted that someone besides me has some common sense and good taste. ; )

DJ Quik is more under-appreciated than Masta Ace.

<3

You are now my brother until death, whether you like it or not.

Under Tha Influence is also one of my fav albums. Quik is just so funky.

<3
<3
<3

Nabs

Flow-wise, Nas pulled the years back a bit. I'd like to see him on a Remi track w/o a bad singer.

Anyway, I'm bumping eye for an eye now.

Detox

Yeah, seems like he's just paying Salaam Remi back for all his help. Flow wise he's definitely on point and the lyrics suit this track. That singer is shit though.

enzo_gt said:
Those GDSSON stocks are looking pretty low right now, invest in Nortel Nas today.
You just want Nas to get signed by Ye. The quicker he realises that he's better off independent the better his career is going to be.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Detox said:
You just want Nas to get signed by Ye. The quicker he realises that he's better off independent the better his career is going to be.
Nah, I mean Ye could help Nas a bit, and I wouldn't object to it, but I don't even know if an independent label can help Nas get out of his financial situation. Also, something about Nas being under Ye's wing is weird as fuck. I mean Common getting reupholstered is one thing, Nas is something else altogether. Nas has always been great over Ye beats though.

hubes

Acid08 said:
I'm seeing Donald Glover(Childish Gambino) in SF tonight, he's doing stand up and music. Pretty fucking hyped.
damn i've been trying to get tickets to his show in philly 2 weeks from now but it's sold out.

I like the idea of an independent Nas...

On another note, I was just on my way home from class when my iPod shuffled Shook Ones Pt. II.

The Infamous has to be one of my favorite top 3 albums of all time. From start to finish it is gold, skits and everything. It felt like I was listening to a movie when I heard it in its entirety the first time; it perfectly captured the essence of the "streets" in my opinion.

It's one of those albums that you listen to, even to this day and go, "Damn."

Detox

I don't how bad his money situation is but apart from a few rumours there isn't a lot of substantial evidence that he is hurting for cash. I hope he has sorted it all out. Going independent won't hurt Nas one bit, he can still get any producer he wants. They'll all probably line up for him. Nas isn't going to really get any new fans especially in the mainstream unless he actually switches styles which isn't likely. Independent Nas would still sell around half a million worldwide easily and that would leave him with a shit load of cash, plus he'll be making the music he wants. Sadly I don't see Nas leaving the comfy confines of a major record deal.

Whatever Mobb does next I feel Q-Tip would really help them. He played his part in Infamous helping them make a proper album and not just some raps. If they go with G-Unit again hopefully fiddy will leave them alone with Alchemist and Tip in the booth together with Mobb.

Jay Sosa

siddx said:
B.O.B.s mixtapes are very different in feel from his album. And are the reason his album was met with such disdain among his pre-nothing on you fans. That said, now that his album has come out and exposed him as a pop rapper, I'd rather he just stuck to that. I don't begrudge him one bit for trying to make a living that way, but don't turn around and go from "magic" to "beast mode" and expect me to buy your bullshit. It makes him sound like a phony.

His album was a bit more poppy than expected BUT he already had a lot of those songs on BOB vs Bobby Ray for example. The entire Bobby Ray part was kinda like the album..So it wasn't that surprising and one of the reason I never understood what the whole fuzz was about.

It wasn't like Nas making You Owe me or Ja Rule starting to sing. He always had a split personality so I don't see how that makes him a phony.

Someone actually recognized DJ Quik on GAF???

I really am shocked. And delighted that someone besides me has some common sense and good taste. ; )

Does anyone in here read more than the last page?

All of GAF was eagerly anticipating Quiks new album and basically everyone agreed that he's a living legend

And thanks hires didn't even know that AB Soul had an album..but I still refuse to pay money for dl only albums, no matter how cheap they are. The only cd I dl for money was the Turquoise Jeep record.

Top 10 of the top of me head..actually doesnt make any sense because it really depends what mood I'm in but I'm bored anyway so here it goes:

AOEM - Pac
Sonogram - One Be Lo
Disposable Arts - Masta Ace
Donnerwetter - Prinz Pi
Illmatic - Nas
Reasonable Doubt - Young Hov
Connected - Foreign Exchange
Project English - Juve (I'm probably the only Juve fan that think it's his best work)
Let the truth be told - Ro
Train of Thought - Kweli&Hi-Tek

But like I said it's impossible...can't leave out 2001 or Doggystyle or Blue Scholars or Evolution Flight or the Slim Shady LP or Aquemini..I own a ton of records and love each and everyone of them and could never really rank them..maybe when I split them up in categories like car music, albums to chill and so on. I think I could narrow it down to a top 50. Hell I even still love all of my NL and CMR records. Make em say ungggh!

Acid08 said:
I'm seeing Donald Glover(Childish Gambino) in SF tonight, he's doing stand up and music. Pretty fucking hyped.

If I where you I'd make the "meeting LeVar Burton" face the entire show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom