• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

coldvein said:
apologies for my passionate and seemingly hateful posts in here last nite, i was drunk and fired up on my indie hiphop homies. i love you all, and your music, i love everything, lets hug.
too late, i already threw away my entire record collection..well, 80% of it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
coldvein said:
this is why i think 80% of the music talked about in this thread is garbage.

just went to the doomtree show in seattle. eric sims knows how to rock a crowd. accompanied by lazerbeak throwing out LIVE BEATS on the mpc, LIVE BEATS i said. all these mixtape jackasses have nothing on that, and never will. they will play pre-recorded shit and rap over it. that's fine, but what i just witnessed is real people-driven hiphop. real live shit.

dessa was wearing a longsleeve white buttonup business shirt, and she killed it. she littleraly killed everyone in the room, with a live band jamming all of her shit. sexiest woman to ever grace a stage. fuck you madonna. all these kids parading around throwing out mixtapes on the internet talking about money and women? they are jokers. their music is a joke. i plead with you, hiphop gaf, go to a doomtree show. become a convert.

Hip Hop gaf was loving Dessa last year, many of us are fully aware of how awesome she is (album was badly mixed though unfortunately, the vocals were way too low). Just because some of us enjoy a brainless action movie doesn't mean we don't enjoy something with a little more thought and creativity as well, and everything in between. Dessa sits right inbetween Deacon The Villian, De La Soul, DJ Quik, and Danny Brown on my playlist. And they all get play.

effzee

Detox said:
Again no Em chose to pick a woman, the goal was to shock people. That Minaj line was supposed to make you go oh shit like the J Lo one back in the day. It made me think that's how low you're going to go Em? I just thought 97 Slim Shady would have been much dirtier and chosen a bigger target it's just one of my gripes with the new Slim Shady which is that he's nowhere near as shocking as the old one. He either doesn't want be that bad maybe because he's getting old or just fears leaving his new fans which seem to like him screaming at 100mph with little focus on lyrics. That new bad / evil isn't in the same league as their early tracks. It's good but if all the tracks are on that level then the album would be good for a few listens.

Dude its not that he is "afraid". On his Relapse album he took shots at everyone from Ellen, Lohan, Palin, Rihanna, Madona, Britney, and Winehouse. He took less shots on Recovery (completely different tone) but even then he did. Its not that he is afraid, its just not funny anymore. Taking shots at pop stars isn't shocking anymore. It was 10-12 years ago when sites like TMZ didn't exist. Now? Its sort of common. On top of that Eminem isn't funny like that. He used to have wit/satire. He barely has that now. So for him to continue to take shots makes him extremely futile.

For example some of the songs of Relapse/Relapse2/Refill have some insane rhyming and flows but the subject matter is constant celeb bashing, rape, and murder that it gets tiring. Eminem of old was far more clever and funny. Now you get some funny lines here and there.

Ovid

dvdjamm said:
Jaguar Skills - 30 Years of Hip-Hop. 538 Songs in 60 Minutes

http://www.mediafire.com/?0cpacfq35a4gaq1

30-YEARS-blog-new-1.jpg
Is this the same one that was posted in the other hip-hop thread two years ago?

Recon

Banned
I have to say, Zero Heroes is my favorite thing released this year so far. I know thats not a popular opinion. But something about XV just really clicks with me. I have been listening to stuff from Everybody's Nobody and Vizzy Zone, and i love everything. He probably is one of my favorite newer artists. Him, J.Cole, and Kendrick Lamar are all getting heavy rotation in my ipod.

Edit: I forgot to include Big Kritt.

PBY

Banned
ReconYoda said:
I have to say, Zero Heroes is my favorite thing released this year so far. I know thats not a popular opinion. But something about XV just really clicks with me. I have been listening to stuff from Everybody's Nobody and Vizzy Zone, and i love everything. He probably is one of my favorite newer artists. Him, J.Cole, and Kendrick Lamar are all getting heavy rotation in my ipod.

Edit: I forgot to include Big Kritt.
+1... XV's awesome

PBY

Banned
coldvein said:

just went to the doomtree show in seattle. eric sims knows how to rock a crowd. accompanied by lazerbeak throwing out LIVE BEATS on the mpc, LIVE BEATS i said. all these mixtape jackasses have nothing on that, and never will. they will play pre-recorded shit and rap over it. that's fine, but what i just witnessed is real people-driven hiphop. real live shit.

dessa was wearing a longsleeve white buttonup business shirt, and she killed it. she littleraly killed everyone in the room, with a live band jamming all of her shit. sexiest woman to ever grace a stage. fuck you madonna. all these kids parading around throwing out mixtapes on the internet talking about money and women? they are jokers. their music is a joke. i plead with you, hiphop gaf, go to a doomtree show. become a convert.
I love doomtree, been rocking with them for a while now. When a Badly Broken Code dropped a lot of people here, including myself, were all over it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Double post, but this shit is necessary: Lil Wayne's '6 Foot, 7 Foot' Producer Bangladesh Says He Hasn't Been Compensated

Seriously son? Seriously? For a second time? You didn't get paid for fucking A Millie and you still did 6'7'? And still didn't get paid? Hang your fucking head in shame for being such a stupid motherfucker and making a fool of yourself making this video and playing this fucking damage control in this video saying its not about the money but still making a video about it.

Stupidest fucking producer alive. Fact.

enzo_gt said:
Double post, but this shit is necessary: Lil Wayne's '6 Foot, 7 Foot' Producer Bangladesh Says He Hasn't Been Compensated

Seriously son? Seriously? For a second time? You didn't get paid for fucking A Millie and you still did 6'7'? And still didn't get paid? Hang your fucking head in shame for being such a stupid motherfucker and making a fool of yourself making this video and playing this fucking damage control in this video saying its not about the money but still making a video about it.

Stupidest fucking producer alive. Fact.

he's stupid but those people over there at cash money need to work on their ethics......

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThePrivateCookie said:
he's stupid but those people over there at cash money need to work on their ethics......
No doubt. Birdman been flaunting that money all over. I'm not sure where he gets it from either, never seen him on the Forbes top ten. Guess while others are investing it and stuff he's spending it on whatever was yesterday's hot car.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
enzo_gt said:
No doubt. Birdman been flaunting that money all over. I'm not sure where he gets it from either, never seen him on the Forbes top ten. Guess while others are investing it and stuff he's spending it on whatever was yesterday's hot car.
Thats 90% of the rap game. Most of those fools are going to end up broke or already broke and buying shit on credit.

enzo_gt said:

he finally made the top 5 list this year with 100 million, but it seems kinda off..

also some news for you......

Kanye West’s and Jay-Z’s Watch The Throne: We all know it’s coming, or at least we hope, but today The DOTR comes through with some news on one of the tracks that we can expect on hear on the disc. The track is titled “Lift Off” and will supposedly be the first track on the album. Production is handled by Jeff Bhasker and will feature two big name artists by the names of Beyonce and Bruno Mars. This news is most likely true, but we’ll keep it marked as rumor until we get confirmation. Look out for Watch The Throne when it drops later this year.

http://rapdose.com/2011/04/29/rumor...-throne-set-to-feature-beyonce-and-bruno-mars

rumor..but i have heard the single was coming either this week or last week

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThePrivateCookie said:
he finally made the top 5 list this year with 100 million, but it seems kinda off..

also some news for you......

http://rapdose.com/2011/04/29/rumor...-throne-set-to-feature-beyonce-and-bruno-mars

rumor..but i have heard the single was coming either this week or last week
Hype.. probably the only thing we can agree on :lol

If any rumour has come out, it's got to be of either Yeezy or Jay camp's mouths, cause there's pretty much zero possibility of leaks going on.

Detox

effzee said:
Eminem of old was far more clever and funny. Now you get some funny lines here and there.
I agree but I will never lose hope that Em will one day get back to the way he was at the start of his career. I think he has still got it in him but he has no need to even try people will buy anything that has Em rapping at a crazy speed.

Also Tim Westwood is the worst thing to happen to UK Hiphop. I'm glad KRS called him out on that a few years ago. He basically runs the mainstream pseudo underground hiphop and everything he plays is garbage not in anyway has he tried to help the culture grow in the UK.

illadelph

Bad Meets Evil song is ill

"Shawty, when you dance, you got me captivated
Just by the way that you keep lickin’ them dicks like lips, I’m agitated, aggravated
To the point you don’t suck my dick, then you’re gonna get decapitated
Other words, you don’t fuckin’ give me head, then I’ma have to take it"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lil Wayne interview could've been even better, but he handled it pretty well.

Also, what happened to araabmuzik? Despite being a huge douche and suffering from a tame Luger syndrome, he made some hot beats that fit Cam very well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
All Black Everything...

Brings a tear to this dude's eye...

Why couldn't the rest of Lasers be this intense? ;_;
Break the Chain is instantly one of the best songs Lupe has ever made. But yeah, Lasers should have been more like Letting Go and All Black Everything. Personally, I still think Lasers is an alright album.

njean777

coldvein said:

I agree, most of hip hop is garbage but Gaf provides the good stuff for me. I cant even turn on the radio anymore cuz it is literally all about money, cars, and hoes. I listen to more Rock then hip hop and still dont touch the radio, most rock is the same way. The underground is where it always will be for most music.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
njean777 said:
I agree, most of hip hop is garbage but Gaf provides the good stuff for me. I cant even turn on the radio anymore cuz it is literally all about money, cars, and hoes. I listen to more Rock then hip hop and still dont touch the radio, most rock is the same way. The underground is where it always will be for most music.

Shit, I wish "rap" on the radio was about that stuff. Nowadays, it's just techno with a black dude on vocals.

NAILSDIDHAIRDIDEVERYTHINGDIDOUFANCYHUH!!!!

kamspy

Tron Cat sounds like a throwaway Bastard track on the first listen. Didn't catch me like Yonkers and Earl did instantly. Pretty skeptical now.

CRS

Some of my favorite albums. The top three are pretty much set. Everything after that is too difficult to number. Really difficult narrowing to down to 10 (11) though.

1. Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E.1999 Eternal
2. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
3. Samurai Champloo Soundtrack 'Departure'

Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon
Black Star - Black Star
OutKast - Aquemini & ATLiens
The Fugees - The Score
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
The Roots - How I Got Over
Wu-Tang Clan - 36th Chambers

Some honorable mentions are Illmatic, Ready to Die, The Infamous, MM..FOOD, All Eyez On Me, Creepin On Ah Come Up, and a whole bunch of others I can't remember right now.

kamspy

I can't do albums for most artists, so I'm just gonna do artists.

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers, Tical, purple tape, the pillage, liquid swords, supreme clientele, forever, return to 36 chambers, golden arms, no said date

UGK - Everything up to Ridin Dirty. Trill is very good. Trill O.G. is shit. Sweet James is mostly shit.

8 Ball & MJG - Comin Out Hard is a top 5 overall album. I know that. Outside Lookin In and On Top of the World are also great. OTotW is another classic, 5 mic album imo.

Nas - Illmatic

Tribe - everything up through midnight marauders. everything after that is pretty garbage.

De La Soul - early shit, and Mosiac Thump vol. 1 I think that record is mad overlooked.

Mobb Deep - all that shit. I actually think Murda Muzik has the most good tracks of the Mobb albums, but Return of the Mac is the best album from the crew. Infamous has the two best songs, but it get's sleepy here and there. Yeah, I said it. Get Away is one of their best joints too. Get's overlooked. There's even a couple bangers on the G Unit album.

E-40 - Everything up to Hall of Game, then you gotta skip to Revenue Retrieven epic 4 disc master slapper. Throw Charlie Hustle in there too.

Geto Boys - all the GB albums. Especially. The Resurrection since it kinda goes unpraised for how good it is. The Diary. Other Face albums are ehh

OutKast - First three albums. Some of Stankonia. Sir Left Foot

Dr. Dre Inc - Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food, 2001, Marshal Mathers LP, Get Rich or Die Tryin

50 Cent - Power of the Dollar. Top ten album

Spice 1 - Everything up to Black Bossalini. After that it gets sketchy.

2 Live Crew - I celebrate the entire catalog

Too Short - Everything up to Gettin' It.

Pac and Big - yeah, all of it.

Bone - Creepin and E1999. Art of War was OK, and Krayzie Bone double CD was good. Mixed aside from that. Oh, first Mo Thugs.

Extended Swisha House fam - Chamillionaire and Paul Wall. Slim Thug. early mixtape screwed stuff. classic.

Noreaga - NORE, Melvin Flynt the Hustla, God's Favorite, NOREaster

Goodie Mobb - First two albums. Both 5 mic classic.

Brotha Lynch Hung / black market - 24 Deep, Season of the Siccness, Setrippinbloccstyle, Best of Black Market

Jay Hov - Reasonable Doubt, Vol 1. Blueprint, Black Album. Some of Blueprint 2.

Kanye - College Dropout, Late Registration

No Limit - Down South Hustlers Bouncin' and Swingin' Tha Value Pak Compilation, Ice Cream Man, The Shocker, I'm Bout It soundtrack, first Kane and Abel, Young Bleed, Fiend, Mac, Mystical, C Murda, Mr. Serv On and Skull Duggery. All follow ups were not as good (haven't heard Mac's). Don't hate because Master P drives a Luis Vuitton helicopter.

Gangstarr - Moment of Truth. a top 10 album.

Redman - all. top ten rapper. all he does is make classics

Ice Cube - Everything except War.

DJ Quik - Safe and Sound is the only really boring one. Everything else is bangin.

DMX - first album was classic, but every album's got a classic joint on it.

Del - Brother George, No Need for Alarm, Deltron 3030

Talib Qweli - Reflection Eternal and Quality

M.O.P - BRRROOOOWWWNNNSVILLE HOME OF THE BRAVE PUT IN WORK TO THE STREET LIKE A SLAVE

Three 6 Mafia - Everything up to Chapter 2 was classic, after that it got sketchier as they went on. Chapter 2 is a banger though.

Luniz - Operation Stackola

Honorable Mentions:
Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde, Lords of the Underground, early Masta Ace (new stuff is ambien), early Common SENSE (see masta ace), Cypress Hill, Mood, Digable Planets, Black Rob, BCC, Big L, Big Pun, early Fat Joe, Dru Down, Dipset, MC Eiht, Currensy, CunninLynguists, Big Krit, Kieth Murray, Rass Kass, Cool Breeze, Xzibit (probably shoulda made the big list), Beasite Boys, Kool Kieth, Celly Cell, B Legit, The Lox, Beanie Siegal (see xzibit), Ice T, Dipset, OC (jewels), Busta, Bubba Sparxxx (2 really good albums), AZ, Prince Paul, King T,

Bishman

coldvein said:

We all love Dessa here.

Dessa's album last year, was one of the best hip-hop albums.

siddx said:
Hip Hop gaf was loving Dessa last year, many of us are fully aware of how awesome she is (album was badly mixed though unfortunately, the vocals were way too low). Just because some of us enjoy a brainless action movie doesn't mean we don't enjoy something with a little more thought and creativity as well, and everything in between. Dessa sits right inbetween Deacon The Villian, De La Soul, DJ Quik, and Danny Brown on my playlist. And they all get play.
Maybe your rip is bad because playing straight from the disc it sounds fine, thing with recording live instruments with hip hop is a lot of times the instruments get list in the mix, Dessa's album shines in this respect. In fact lazerbeak and paper tiger both shine in their ability to use drum kits with lice instruments with bead perfect balance

and Recon, Zero Heros is better with every listen, definitely makes up for the vizzy zone which I thought was terrible

Wooo lists:

01. Nas - Illmatic
02. Wu-Tang Clan - 36th Chamber
03. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
04. Tupac - All Eyez on Me
05. Outkast - ATLiens
06. Nas - Stillmatic
07. Dr. Dre - 2001
08. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
09. Kanye West - Late Registration
10. KiD CuDi - Man On The Moon: The End Of Day

I went pretty safe, except for the last two. I can't even tell if Late Registration is my favourite Kanye album, I love everything he did on pretty much the same level, except for some songs on The College Dropout.

eravulgaris said:
What do you people like about those cheap beats and a guy trying to sound badass? Seriously. You guys are hating on Lil' Wayne (good), but you still like stuff like this?

Does not compute.
SVPUV.jpg

We love it because it sounds new and original, and because it's good. Tron Cat is not his best though, did you ever listen too Yonkers? How can you hate that?

Idk about new and original. You can easily throw some artists in a blender and get Tyler/*insert OF artist*. Def dope tho, I don't see why ppl think they're original though. There might not be anything at the moment like them, but they aren't entirely unique.

Lionheart1337 said:
There might not be anything at the moment like them, but they aren't entirely unique.
Well that's what I was trying to say. Right now their sound is totally different from anybody else and that's very refreshing. Plus the fact that they are getting some major exposure is very good and kinda weird at the same time, since it's so different from what we hear in the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom