• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Spiderjericho said:
I'd take Carter 1 over Carter 3.

I was never a real Cash Money fan, but Carter 1 converted me (even with the Gillie accusations). And Carter 2, along with Dedication 2 and Drought 2, seem to cement in my mind Wayne's credibility as an emcee.

Carter 3 and after, though commercially successful, were just pop-influenced, semi coherent ramblings (not sure if he and Kanye drank from the same bottle of Ace, since they both decided to ride auto tune and tried to venture out of rap with R&B and Rock albums).

But Wayne can go in every now and then.

Yea, I still think Carter II is a GREAT album. Anything from Wayne during that ERA is great imo. He was just heads and tails above everyone else back then.

I finally checked my mail and I got Big Krit Cd.....which is a slip cover..not even a case man

I think the both Carter 1 and 2 are better than 3, but each album has at least 2 songs that I really really like.

I'm not sure which I like more between Carter 1 and 2. I'd have to listen to them back to back.

DominoKid

Spiderjericho said:
I'd take Carter 1 over Carter 3.

I was never a real Cash Money fan, but Carter 1 converted me (even with the Gillie accusations). And Carter 2, along with Dedication 2 and Drought 2, seem to cement in my mind Wayne's credibility as an emcee.

Carter 3 and after, though commercially successful, were just pop-influenced, semi coherent ramblings (not sure if he and Kanye drank from the same bottle of Ace, since they both decided to ride auto tune and tried to venture out of rap with R&B and Rock albums).

But Wayne can go in every now and then.

here's how it ranks out for me

Drought 3 >>> Carter 2 > Dedication 2 = Carter 1 > all the other stuff

also check out Carter 2.5 and The Drought Is Over 2 (Carter 3 era) for some dope shit that aint make the respective albums

i would recommend the Sqad Up mixtapes cause he kills those, but it aint worth it to sit through a bunch of sorry dudes just to hear Wayne.

Drought 3 Wayne is like a perfect cross-section of all his styles. He's still spitting hard as fuck, but he'd also figured out how to make catchy shit. plus he straight up stole Mike Jones song and effectively ended his career. Sky's The Limit

the thing about Wayne though, is that I wish he had pushed Curren$y more after Where Da Cash At. they had way better chemistry together than Wayne had with anybody else (Birdman, Drake, etc). but i guess it worked out for everybody.

edit: i get some funny looks from people whenever I play C$ for people that only remember him for one song. guess a lot of people thought he stopped rapping, or died or something. i kinda want to hear them on a song together but it'd never happen cause C$ raps rings around Wayne now.

HiResDes

Lil'B Bogarts Concert:

I showed up right after 8, the place was nearly empty, although as I predicted the quality ass ratio was off the charts. Sure, only about a quarter of the people were women, but man oh man were there some sights. I scored three or four Long Islands because I figured they had the best alcohol quantity to price ratio even at seven bucks. The first performer comes on and he's in a wheelchair. The crowd looks up in dismay, everyone thinks this is about to be a bunch of gimmicky bullshit. However, when he starts rapping everyone shuts the fuck up. Dude was pretty ill, like a white handicapped Keith Murray. I met up with this chick I know and her brother (bummer). However he turns out to be a fellow master chef, so we form a BASED coalition like Voltron. I'm so ready to swag out, but the shittiest rap group ever comes on. Basically all of their songs sound like swag-less versions of Racks on Racks. Their so momentously bad that they single-handedly make me reevaluate my love for hip-hop. They leave, thankfully...And I need a couple more drinks. Now I'm drunk, hitting on this chick while she's sitting next to her little teenage brother and BASED GOD is nowhere to be seen. Nearly an hour later, probably some two hours after the scheduled time he comes out of nowhere. Everyone goes nuts. Bogarts fills up to nearly half capacity after only having a 1/4. Everyone swags out. He performs every banger in his repertoire. He fucking killed it, so much energy everywhere even with Bogarts being only half capacity. At this point, I'm going nuts. I leveled up past master chef on Wonton Soup, reaching the Iron Chef level. I single-handedly start a crowd participatory Woop! Woop! Woop! Woop!, which continued throughout pretty much every song. I'm sweaty, I'm happy, BASED GOD exits and I feel like I have been blessed. He comes back out and everyone clamors to get their picture with him. The chick's little brother somehow pushed me out of frame after using my short stature to sneak to the front.

yqRNl.jpg
ywBUv.jpg
ZVo0C.jpg

4wuar.jpg
7orvf.jpg

I finally got around to listening to ALC X Curren$y. Great album. I "might" like it more than the Pilot Talk 1 and 2. Though one of the beats seemed to be inspired by ALC's beat on the REK's album.

And I listened to Big Krit Wuz Here. That joint is great. Massive mixtape with a sampling of different song types. I tried to listen to Return of the 4 Eva but it seemed to have a slower, more introspective and commentary vibe.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Lil'B Bogarts Concert:

I showed up right after 8, the place was nearly empty, although as I predicted the quality ass ratio was off the charts. Sure, only about a quarter of the people were women, but man oh man were there some sights. I scored three or four Long Islands because I figured they had the best alcohol quantity to price ratio even at seven bucks. The first performer comes on and he's in a wheelchair. The crowd looks up in dismay, everyone thinks this is about to be a bunch of gimmicky bullshit. However, when he starts rapping everyone shuts the fuck up. Dude was pretty ill, like a white handicapped Keith Murray. I met up with this chick I know and her brother (bummer). However he turns out to be a fellow master chef, so we form a BASED coalition like Voltron. I'm so ready to swag out, but the shittiest rap group ever comes on. Basically all of their songs sound like swag-less versions of Racks on Racks. Their so momentously bad that they single-handedly make me reevaluate my love for hip-hop. They leave, thankfully...And I need a couple more drinks. Now I'm drunk, hitting on this chick while she's sitting next to her little teenage brother and BASED GOD is nowhere to be seen. Nearly an hour later, probably some two hours after the scheduled time he comes out of nowhere. Everyone goes nuts. Bogarts fills up to nearly half capacity after only having a 1/4. Everyone swags out. He performs every banger in his repertoire. He fucking killed it, so much energy everywhere even with Bogarts being only half capacity. At this point, I'm going nuts. I leveled up past master chef on Wonton Soup, reaching the Iron Chef level. I single-handedly start a crowd participatory Woop! Woop! Woop! Woop!, which continued throughout pretty much every song. I'm sweaty, I'm happy, BASED GOD exits and I feel like I have been blessed. He comes back out and everyone clamors to get their picture with him. The chick's little brother somehow pushed me out of frame after using my short stature to sneak to the front.

yqRNl.jpg
ywBUv.jpg
ZVo0C.jpg

4wuar.jpg
7orvf.jpg

I'm happy for you man. You just got touched, blessed.

kamspy

DAMN IT.

Nice recap Des. Sounds like you had a real good time. Wish I coulda made it. I don't look at tour dates much cause I'm an old soccer dad now, but hit me up if a good act is passing through next time.

DominoKid

I just realized something. Bricksquad is is trap-rap's Dipset.

Like Dipset, they may not be the best at what they do, but they're the biggest, loudest, and most braggadocious.

and they're fuckin awesome.

Am I High - N*E*R*D

All Hail Flocka
waka-flocka2.jpg

side note, this Nashville/Vancouver hockey game is dope. I don't even fuck w/ hockey like that either.

overcast

Tron Cat is a solid song. It sounds a lot like a Bastards song, which isn't a bad thing. But like somebody said earlier it isn't very fresh. Not close to Yonkers.

Tokubetsu

overcast said:
Tron Cat is a solid song. It sounds a lot like a Bastards song, which isn't a bad thing. But like somebody said earlier it isn't very fresh. Not close to Yonkers.

Apparently thats an old version of the song. Tyler was on twitter talking about how it was someone close who leaked the track because only OF has the copy/has heard that version of the track. Album version will be different.

overcast

Tokubetsu said:
Apparently thats an old version of the song. Tyler was on twitter talking about how it was someone close who leaked the track because only OF has the copy/has heard that version of the track. Album version will be different.
Oh alright then.

Only 10 days until the release. Cautiously optimistic.

I'm surprised his record label's A&R department hasn't gotten him into the gym. Dude could attract the ladies a lot better if he got rid of the pot belly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
That was before he came out, we were irritated by the horrible sounds coming from the second act.
Did he do Ellen DeGeneres?

Also Carter III was a solid album. I mean it wasn't classic or Wayne at his best, but the jams from that album are great. That Bobby Valentino joint was great until it was played the fuck out.

And No Cielings is underrated because I'm pretty sure most of GAF-Hop probably wrote off Lil Wayne years ago.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Did he do Ellen DeGeneres?

Also Carter III was a solid album. I mean it wasn't classic or Wayne at his best, but the jams from that album are great. That Bobby Valentino joint was great until it was played the fuck out.

And No Cielings is underrated because I'm pretty sure most of GAF-Hop probably wrote off Lil Wayne years ago.

Like someone posted earlier, Carter 3 was an incoherent mess. Lollipop was approaching Plies levels of shitty.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
ReconYoda said:
Like someone posted earlier, Carter 3 was an incoherent mess. Lollipop was approaching Plies levels of shitty.

Lil Wayne is a one dimensional rapper who shit the bed after Carter 1 when it became obvious he has nothing new to say.

IrishNinja

kamspy said:
Tribe - everything up through midnight marauders. everything after that is pretty garbage.

no idea why you took an otherwise masterful list and shat it up with this, my man.

i'd co-sign much of the rest of it, was on a puba/brand nubians kick the other day but not sure which albums id put up there if i had to call it.

IrishNinja said:
no idea why you took an otherwise masterful list and shat it up with this, my man.

yeah...Beats, Rhymes & Life is a VERY good album. The Love Movement was alright, it still had joints, but it was definitely was a step down. Definitely not a bad album though.

m3k

hey gaf heres a rough top ten list

illmatic - nas
game theory - roots
36 chambers - wu tang
the infamous - mobb deep
only built - raekwon
doggystyle - snoop
ice cube - death cert
e 1999 - bone thugs
midnight marauders - tribe
capital punishment - big pun

lots of cds i really liked alot and if you asked me again in a few days i might replace bone thugs and big pun cause it feel like ive missed something... but again its a rough list

outkast seems like it needs to be there...

siddx said:
Tron Cat sounds like some corny mid 90's horrocore rap group trying to sound hard. Sorry gaf :/ just don't get the hype. I wish Tyler and OF all the success in the world but this pretty much seals it for me.

My man.

overcast

Confession time. I've never listened to Camp Lo- Uptown Saturday Night.. just listened to the first track off the album. Holy shit.

RJT

I just bought an iPad. What's the recommended app for hiphop production? I'd like to toy with some remixes for personal use only, and the iPad seems like a cool way to it (considering I spend hours on a train every week).

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:

Tyler doing damage control already? Fuuuck.

Yall can stop hating on Plies now. Yall jelly.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

I hope you really aren't defending that piece of shit. Plies has no redeeming qualities...

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:

It was more along the lines of him bitching/sadface because someone close to him leaked it personally.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
I hope you really aren't defending that piece of shit. Plies has no redeeming qualities...

He's got a couple joints on mixtapes I like. When he's not screaming he's aiight. 100 Years is good. First 48 is good.

coldvein

Banned
kamspy said:
Well damn. GAF knows more about Plies then I do. lol.

well, you are an old soccer dad.

despite your gangstertastic avatar, you're really just an old soccer dad typing on an internet forum. you shouldn't expect to be in touch, kampsy. ;).

kamspy

I know. I didn't even know he had a cool Goon seal. If it's not posted here, Nah Right or Live Mixtapes, I probably miss it.

Now, off to buy some shin guards and plastic cones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom