• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detox said:
I don't how bad his money situation is but apart from a few rumours there isn't a lot of substantial evidence that he is hurting for cash. I hope he has sorted it all out. Going independent won't hurt Nas one bit, he can still get any producer he wants. They'll all probably line up for him. Nas isn't going to really get any new fans especially in the mainstream unless he actually switches styles which isn't likely. Independent Nas would still sell around half a million worldwide easily and that would leave him with a shit load of cash, plus he'll be making the music he wants. Sadly I don't see Nas leaving the comfy confines of a major record deal.

Whatever Mobb does next I feel Q-Tip would really help them. He played his part in Infamous helping them make a proper album and not just some raps. If they go with G-Unit again hopefully fiddy will leave them alone with Alchemist and Tip in the booth together with Mobb.

Agreed. He could make a lot of money independently where even low album sales would translate to money in his pocket. Plus dude makes a killing on tour. And considering EVERY good producer wants a shot at making a Nas classic, he could put out a bunch of great albums. Sadly he'll probably release another gimmick project, this time with a Skylar Grey hook vehicle and some acoustic guitars.

Co-sign on Q Tip reuniting with Mobb Deep too. I'd love to hear him produce some more Nas shit too. Pretty sure he worked with Roc Marciano, which rocks.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
kamspy said:
Now how many of you guys actually listened to the Saigon record? Be real. I'm not implying it's nearly as good as the CL record, I'm just saying.

I have it on my itunes sitting there all lonely and sad because I only listened to it once. It's trash. Saigon is trash. Little midget legged motherfucker too dumb to take advantage of hype he didn't deserve.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
siddx said:
I have it on my itunes sitting there all lonely and sad because I only listened to it once. It's trash. Saigon is trash. Little midget legged motherfucker too dumb to take advantage of hype he didn't deserve.

I swear, you're like my brother from another mother. Part of my dislike of him and Papoose is that they both had so much fucking hype around them and they both pissed it away, then spent years bitching about "the system." Fuck them both.

kamspy said:
Now how many of you guys actually listened to the Saigon record? Be real. I'm not implying it's nearly as good as the CL record, I'm just saying.

I was pretty hyped for it. I can't say much of anything positive about it. The production is good, but not as crazy as I expected from an all Just Blaze album. Most of the tracks revolve around generic platitudes and "if you believe you can achieve" lyricism. I'm all for social conscious shit but there's nothing interesting about the way he decided to present it. Instead of asking interesting questions or hitting a wide range of topics (think Little Brother) Saigon tells us blacks need to own more businesses. Ok.

Dude is too simple of a rhymer I guess.

siddx

kamspy said:
I'm gonna have to google image search now. brb

lol you never heard that royce diss talking about him being all jail ripped, big on top with no muscle on bottom?

PBY

Banned
The M.O.B said:
LOL: he is on 7 hours a 45 minutes now, has to beat 9 hours and 16 minutes for the world record.

The tension is rising.
I watched it for like 5 minutes, but then went back to watching nba/draft

its kind of interesting, but its super boring imho... ill tune back when hes about to break it

Ephemeris

effzee said:
Jesus that is fuck awesome. Yes he is still screaming but if the whole EP is that I would love it.

The beat, the verses, and the hook are all there.
I'm not even sure if this is real life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
I did- I thought it was really good actually
Me too, it's a bit dry and doesn't have the craziest rhymes all the time, but I would never call it a bad record. A lot of the songs are enjoyable. And in my books, that makes a good album.

Bring Me Down Pt.2 & Pt.3 + It's Alright >>>

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
protip: during Atmosphere's set, the lights go out a lot. Stand next to some drunk chick and cop a feel ;D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jobber said:
protip: during Atmosphere's set, the lights go out a lot. Stand next to some drunk chick and cop a feel ;D
Not that uncommon, HiResDes is copping a feel on some unwashed YouTube groupie dude as we speak.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

I have it on my ipod right now, i like a handful of tracks. Its not the worst thing that was released this year..(gucci)

Kaizer

Banned
soul creator said:
How the fuck does Steve to Stefan go so hard??

this is gonna be stuck in my head for days now
Damn you, this shit won't stop playing in my head like rebecca black's "friday".
20fRZ.jpg

siddx

soul creator said:
How the fuck does Steve to Stefan go so hard??

this is gonna be stuck in my head for days now

I threw up in my mouth a little bit. It's shit like this that makes me wanna say "I fucking hate rappers"

TheOddOne

Detox said:
No, he chose the woman who would get dirty with him in a heartbeat. He ain't going after no ones wifey because he's not interested in pissing people off. Slim shady Em wouldn't have given a fuck who he pisses off and would have chosen a woman already taken so as to increase the impact of that line. Beyonce is the new J.Lo which is way I chose her. Slim Shady probably would have gone with something similar or hell maybe even Michelle Obama.
Still, dissing women= makes a song better? Dunno, seems like nitpick.

coldvein

Banned
this is why i think 80% of the music talked about in this thread is garbage.

just went to the doomtree show in seattle. eric sims knows how to rock a crowd. accompanied by lazerbeak throwing out LIVE BEATS on the mpc, LIVE BEATS i said. all these mixtape jackasses have nothing on that, and never will. they will play pre-recorded shit and rap over it. that's fine, but what i just witnessed is real people-driven hiphop. real live shit.

dessa was wearing a longsleeve white buttonup business shirt, and she killed it. she littleraly killed everyone in the room, with a live band jamming all of her shit. sexiest woman to ever grace a stage. fuck you madonna. all these kids parading around throwing out mixtapes on the internet talking about money and women? they are jokers. their music is a joke. i plead with you, hiphop gaf, go to a doomtree show. become a convert.

overcast

coldvein said:

just went to the doomtree show in seattle. eric sims knows how to rock a crowd. accompanied by lazerbeak throwing out LIVE BEATS on the mpc, LIVE BEATS i said. all these mixtape jackasses have nothing on that, and never will. they will play pre-recorded shit and rap over it. that's fine, but what i just witnessed is real people-driven hiphop. real live shit.

dessa was wearing a longsleeve white buttonup business shirt, and she killed it. she littleraly killed everyone in the room, with a live band jamming all of her shit. sexiest woman to ever grace a stage. fuck you madonna. all these kids parading around throwing out mixtapes on the internet talking about money and women? they are jokers. their music is a joke. i plead with you, hiphop gaf, go to a doomtree show. become a convert.
But I like J Cole, Kanye, and Lupe (just to name a few). You like plenty of good artists so I'm okay with what you like as well. Especially P.O.S.

coldvein

Banned
overcast said:
But I like J Cole, Kanye, and Lupe (just to name a few). You like plenty of good artists so I'm okay with what you like as well. Especially P.O.S.

yeah, it's cool. i like kanye too. love kanye, in fact. but kanye lives in a crazy blown up mindspace. kanye is a pop star. anybody whose handle ends in -eezy is a pop star. and there's a place for that, i won't argue. but there is shit happening right now that is so real and so live, and it's coming from blue collar cats that have real things to speak about. that's where hiphop came from, and (to me) that's where it still is. it's here every day, at your local club, not on top 40 radio, not talking about bullshit. AMEN.

Detox

TheOddOne said:
Still, dissing women= makes a song better? Dunno, seems like nitpick.
Again no Em chose to pick a woman, the goal was to shock people. That Minaj line was supposed to make you go oh shit like the J Lo one back in the day. It made me think that's how low you're going to go Em? I just thought 97 Slim Shady would have been much dirtier and chosen a bigger target it's just one of my gripes with the new Slim Shady which is that he's nowhere near as shocking as the old one. He either doesn't want be that bad maybe because he's getting old or just fears leaving his new fans which seem to like him screaming at 100mph with little focus on lyrics. That new bad / evil isn't in the same league as their early tracks. It's good but if all the tracks are on that level then the album would be good for a few listens.

kamspy

coldvein said:

time to throw all my CD and hard drives into a fire. brb

Threi

notag
coldvein said:

obligatory "go listen to shad k" post

also: lighten up.

like common said:

Somedays I take the L to gel with the real world
Got on at 87th, stopped by this little girl
She recited raps, I forgot where they was from
In 'em, she was saying how she made brothers cum
I start thinking, how many souls hip-hop has affected
How many dead folks this art resurrected
How many nations this culture connected
Who am I to judge one's perspective?
Though some of that shit y'all pop true it, I ain't relating
If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating

coldvein

Banned
apologies for my passionate and seemingly hateful posts in here last nite, i was drunk and fired up on my indie hiphop homies. i love you all, and your music, i love everything, lets hug.

kamspy

I need a full report of Lil B at Bogarts from HRD. Hopefully you got some pics son. I'm salty as fuck I missed that shit. I love Bogarts. I wish they would get on the hip hop circuit that everyone is on. I hated the shift to the Ritz. Not because it's in the hood, that actually makes it easier to get dro in the building. The scene is just fucked up there. Too much good ol boy shit.

I remember seeing Eminem at Bogarts back in the DAY. Shit wasn't even half way full. It was also one of the worst shows in my life. He did a fucking 30 minutes set of snippets and rolled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom