• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

enzo_gt said:
Break the Chain is instantly one of the best songs Lupe has ever made. But yeah, Lasers should have been more like Letting Go and All Black Everything. Personally, I still think Lasers is an alright album.

Some of the tracks have a great feel to them. Basically everything that isn't a love song. I dont think Lupe fits love songs very well unless its something like Sunshine.

It also didn't help that even over the better moody beats his verses seemed shorter than usual or after the 2nd verse it would just be an extended chorus till the end. Seemed like every song was shorter than it should have been.

In no particular order:

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Snoop -Doggystyle
Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang(36 Chambers)
Dr Dre - 2001
Klashnekoff - Lionheart: Tussle with the Beast
Big L - The Big Picture (bit of a cop-out but I've never seen an individual Big L album available in the UK)
Game - Documentary
Nas - Illmatic
Dr Dre - Chronic
Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die

Detox

I don't know if that means you have never heard Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous but it is £5.99 on iTunes and £7.49 on amazon mp3.

Detox said:
I don't know if that means you have never heard Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous but it is £5.99 on iTunes and £7.49 on amazon mp3.

I haven't, but I will be looking into it now, I just have to decide if its worth £1.50 to boot up iTunes or not. Thanks for that.

Since I saw people putting top ten lists together I found that old list I put out ages ago.

Pinko Marx said:
Alright Hip-Hop GAF. I've never done this before, but I've just tried my hand at putting together a list of what i consider to be the essential Hip-Hop albums according to me. This list should be COMPLETELY representative of my taste in Hip-Hop. As in, if you listen to all of these, you should get a fairly get grip on what my taste in Hip-Hop and what I feel is the best in it. I've never actually put a list together, but I figured I'd try it. The hard part is trying to condense it down into 25-10 albums, so I'm gunna try 20. So here goes, in no particular order.

Artist Name - Album Name

1) Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
2) Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
3) MF DOOM - Doomsday
4) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu
5) Mobb Deep - The Infamous
6) Kanye West - The College Dropout
7) Slum Village - Fan-tas-tic Vol. 2
8) Little Brother - The Listening
9) Jay-Z - The Black Album
10) Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (kinda cheating here, but give me a break)
11) Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
12) Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
13) Somobe - The Great Communication
14) Raekwon (and Ghostface) - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
15) Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
16) Tyler the Creator - Bastard
17) Kev Brown - I Do What I Do
18) Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
19) Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagynecologist
20) Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

So yeah, I feel pretty good about this list. It covers pretty much the entire range. I feel like its missing a few, but most should get the point.

I could probably revise it. Add some new albums (Pilot Talk I & II), take some out. But whatever, I just woke up and I'm lazy.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I defintely should have thrown Spice 1's Amerikkkka's Nightmare and 187 he wrote on my mention's list. Both are some of my favorite West Coast albums of all time.

And as much as I think Cudi comes across as a bitchy little fuck shit and man on the moon 2 was extremely disappointing (after the initial "oooooh" wore off), man on the moon 1 deserves mention too, I love that album.

Pinko Marx said:
Since I saw people putting top ten lists together I found that old list I put out ages ago.
There must be some mistake cause I don't see Illmatic mentioned on your list. Just so you can fix it. Unless you just put it at number one by default, which I understand completely.

siddx

eravulgaris said:
What do you people like about those cheap beats and a guy trying to sound badass? Seriously. You guys are hating on Lil' Wayne (good), but you still like stuff like this?

Does not compute.

Karmin > Lil Wayne

Seriously... she fucking rips it.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
After he fell off, aka after Tha Carter.

His albums have always been halfway garbage. But he didn't fall off after the Carter. His best work is Drought 3. He went in on that as hard as anyone has ever went in on anything.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
His albums have always been halfway garbage. But he didn't fall off after the Carter. His best work is Drought 3. He went in on that as hard as anyone has ever went in on anything.

Really? I really liked Tha Carter 1, but i know he has like a million mixtapes so i never bothered.

siddx

Tron Cat sounds like some corny mid 90's horrocore rap group trying to sound hard. Sorry gaf :/ just don't get the hype. I wish Tyler and OF all the success in the world but this pretty much seals it for me.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
Really? I really liked Tha Carter 1, but i know he has like a million mixtapes so i never bothered.

Find Da Drought 3.

The whole damn tape is lyrics to go. Every cut. Burnt to the ground.

siddx said:
Tron Cat sounds like some corny mid 90's horrocore rap group trying to sound hard. Sorry gaf :/ just don't get the hype. I wish Tyler and OF all the success in the world but this pretty much seals it for me.

Yeah, I kinda expected a little more.... I don't want to say growth, but.... polish. I dunno. French off Bastard sounds about 100x more polished then this. Not to mention Yonkers. etc. I hope he didn't put his best track forward with this leak.

kamspy

MThanded said:

it ain't nuttin yall can teach me / I been locked up more times than sweet pea.

Famlay is dope, but I really wish Roscoe P Coldchain didn't get locked up. I thought dude had mad potential. Pharrell is smart as hell. He get gangster ass WCs. Never heard of Pharrell's chain gettin popped.

kamspy said:
Yeah, I kinda expected a little more.... I don't want to say growth, but.... polish. I dunno. French off Bastard sounds about 100x more polished then this. Not to mention Yonkers. etc. I hope he didn't put his best track forward with this leak.

Tyler said Tron Cat was a track he made before he even put out Bastard, or around the same time he made a lot of the Bastard tracks. So... Take that as you will.

PhoenixDark said:
Isn't Tron Cat old? Seems like I've heard it before. Regardless it's meh.

Nah. Don't think its been released before. What I am mad about though is him throwing Sandwitches on Goblin. Its an awesome track and all but...C'mon. Shits old.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zoramon089 said:
You mean after Carter II...I mean, how can you hate Hustler Musik, Shooter, RECEIPT?!
Yup. I definitely prefer Carter II > Carter III > Carter I . Receipt is the second best Lil Wayne song ever made.

Cosigning Drought 3 again. Sky's The Limit >>> _________. The entire song/freestyle is delivered so well and it literally sounds like he isn't trying at all and is still flowing great.

No Ceilings gave me hope for a Wayne Renaissance, and Wayne goes hard as fuck on 6'7' so I have renewed hope.

Nabs

Pinko Marx said:
Nah. Don't think its been released before. What I am mad about though is him throwing Sandwitches on Goblin. Its an awesome track and all but...C'mon. Shits old.

Shit sounds like it was recorded off youtube though.

kamspy

Pinko Marx said:

Really? Why is it on the album then? I figured he'd cook up some all new stuff. :/

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Yup. I definitely prefer Carter II > Carter III > Carter I . Receipt is the second best Lil Wayne song ever made.

Cosigning Drought 3 again. Sky's The Limit >>> _________. The entire song/freestyle is delivered so well and it literally sounds like he isn't trying at all and is still flowing great.

No Ceilings gave me hope for a Wayne Renaissance, and Wayne goes hard as fuck on 6'7' so I have renewed hope.

I like a handful of songs from Tha Carter 2, but carter 3 is some hot garbage. I dont know how anyone could prefer Carter 2,3 over the mannie produced Carter 1.

ReconYoda said:
I like a handful of songs from Tha Carter 2, but carter 3 is some hot garbage. I dont know how anyone could prefer Carter 2,3 over the mannie produced Carter 1.

I dunno I liked Carter 2 over Carter 1, but Carter 3 was the worst shit I've heard in a while. Then Blueprint 3 came along....those two stand tall as shit that shouldn't have been made.

peterb0y said:
The new Mac Lethal tape is the mixtape of the year hands down
Seven produce any of it? As much as I like XV I wish Seven would split his efforts more between "his" artist. At one point he was supposed to be producing/executive producing XV, Mac Lethal and the indie rock group Jupiter One, while being Tech N9ne's main producer as well. Obviously XV is carving his own lane, but I haven't heard anything about him working with Mac lethal still, and I'm pretty sure Jupiter One are going on without him

Really fans Seven should check out some if his Tech N9ne production, might post up a list later, but it's pretty different from his XV beats

Recon

Banned
GodfatherX said:
Seven produce any of it? As much as I like XV I wish Seven would split his efforts more between "his" artist. At one point he was supposed to be producing/executive producing XV, Mac Lethal and the indie rock group Jupiter One, while being Tech N9ne's main producer as well. Obviously XV is carving his own lane, but I haven't heard anything about him working with Mac lethal still, and I'm pretty sure Jupiter One are going on without him

Really fans Seven should check out some if his Tech N9ne production, might post up a list later, but it's pretty different from his XV beats

I didnt realize he did Tech, i was loving his tracks on XV's stuff.

kamspy

someone post a couple songs that will make me like Tech 9. I've always written him off as a gimmick rapper, but I never gave him a fair shake.

kamspy said:
someone post a couple songs that will make me like Tech 9. I've always written him off as a gimmick rapper, but I never gave him a fair shake.

Everytime you do this the result is= "why do people like him afterall? This doesn't bump in teh whip"

TheOddOne

XXL posted The 50 Greatest Dr. Dre Beats Of All Time article.
50. “Fight Music” – D12 (2001)
49. “Natural Born Killaz” — Dr. Dre & Ice Cube (1995)
48. “Remember Me” — Eminem (2000)
47. “Boss’ Life” — Snoop Dogg (2007)
46. “Family Affair” — Mary J. Blige (2001)
45. “Bitches Ain’t Shit” — Dr. Dre (1992)
44. “Fast Lane” — Bilal (2001)
43. “Been There Done That” — Dr. Dre (1996)
42. “Satisfaction” — Eve (2003)
41. “Express Yourself” — N.W.A (1989)
40. “My Name Is” — Eminem (1999)
39. ”Ask Yourself A Question” — Kurupt (1998)
38. “Fuck You” — Dre (1999)
37. “Poppin’ Them Thangs” — G-Unit (2003)
36. “Next Episode” — Dr. Dre (1999)
35. “Lil’ Ghetto Boy” — Dr. Dre (1992)
34. “Westside Story” — Game (2004)
33. “Outta Control” Remix — 50 Cent (2006)
32. “Afro Puffs” — The Lady Of Rage (1994)
31. “Ain’t No Fun” — Snoop Dogg (1993)
30. “Keep Their Heads Ringin’ — Dr. Dre (1995)
29. “Hello” — Ice Cube (2000)
28. “Heat” — 50 Cent (2003)
27. “Forgot About Dre” — Dr. Dre (1999)
26. “Fuck Tha Police”— N.W.A (1988)
25. “Imagine” — Snoop Dogg (2006)
24. “How We Do” — Game (2005)
23. “Lay Low” — Snoop Dogg (2000)
22. “Nas Is Coming” — Nas (1996)
21. ”Bad Intentions” — Knoc-turnal (2001)
20. “X” — Xzibit (2000)
19. “Let Me Ride” — Dr. Dre (1992)
18. “Phone Tap” — The Firm (1997)
17. “Let Me Blow Ya Mind” — Eve (2002)
16. “Guilty Conscience” — Eminem (1999)
15. “Tha Shiznit” — Snoop Dogg (1993)
14. “Bitch Please” — Snoop Dogg (1999)
13. “Doggy Dogg World” — Snoop Dogg (1993)
12. “Ho’s a Housewife” — Kurupt (1999)
11. “California Love” — 2Pac (1995)
10. “Straight Outta Compton” — N.W.A (1988)
9. “The Watcher” — Dr. Dre (1999)
8. “Still D.R.E.” — Dr. Dre (1999)
7. “Fuck Wit Dre Day (And Everybody’s Celebratin’)” — Dr. Dre (1992)
6. “Gin and Juice” — Snoop Dogg (1993)
5. “In Da Club” — 50 Cent (2003)
4. “It’s Funky Enough” — The D.O.C. (1989)
3. ”Xxplosive” — Dr. Dre (1999)
2. “Deep Cover” — Dr. Dre (1992)
1. “Nuthin But A “G” Thang” — Dr. Dre (1993)

kamspy

PhoenixDark said:
Everytime you do this the result is= "why do people like him afterall? This doesn't bump in teh whip"

Well, this would slap in the truck, but yeah, I'm not really sold. It's not bad in any way shape or form, but it just doesn't strike me. His skills are amazing though. He's like the Canibus of speed rappers.

But still, I've only heard those two Recon linked and a couple more I clicked. I forget the old songs someone tried to hip me to, but I had the same reaction.

Your post isn't always true though. GAF put me up on a ton much new hip hop. Currensy, KRIT, Wale, OFWGKTA, Yelawolf and no doubt a bunch I'm forgetting.

EDIT: Dre list is junk. I don't know where to begin. Did Dre produce Boyz in the Hood?

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Well, this would slap in the truck, but yeah, I'm not really sold. It's not bad in any way shape or form, but it just doesn't strike me. His skills are amazing though. He's like the Canibus of speed rappers.

But still, I've only heard those two Recon linked and a couple more I clicked. I forget the old songs someone tried to hip me to, but I had the same reaction.

Your post isn't always true though. GAF put me up on a ton much new hip hop. Currensy, KRIT, Wale, OFWGKTA, Yelawolf and no doubt a bunch I'm forgetting.

He is a kinda polarizing rapper. His voice is really unique IMO, so some like it, others dont. His content sometimes is a bit crazy.

Here is another couple i liked from his Killer album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5IT8Fe0W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVRdrF03Uys

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
JEKKI said:
stylistically the same stuff he put out on bandcamp,

but slightly better music... only slightly tho

Hmmm I'll check it out eventually then but I'm not gonna run and listen to it anytime soon then...

both Tech N9ne - Midwest Choppers and Tech N9ne - Welcome to the Midwest were produced by Seven

some other Seven produced Tech N9ne tracks
Tech N9ne - Happy Ending
Tech N9ne - K.O.D.
Tech N9ne - Come Gangsta
Tech N9ne - Poisonous
Tech N9ne - Hope for a Higher Power
Tech N9ne - Paint a Dark Picture
Tech N9ne - Fan or Foe
Tech N9ne - Shadows on the Road

Strange Camp
Krizz Kaliko - Chip on my Shoulder
Krizz Kaliko - Misunderstood
Krizz Kaliko - The Need
Krizz Kaliko - The Chemical
Krizz Kaliko - Where You Want Me
Kutt Cahloun - Whip It

ReconYoda said:
produced by Matic Lee, very cool guy who is also a rapper out of Nashville. Him and one of Tech's other old producers, David Sanders II helped me out when I first started producing about 3 years ago. Got me on Reason instead of FL studio, which was the best advice anyone could give really

I'd take Carter 1 over Carter 3.

I was never a real Cash Money fan, but Carter 1 converted me (even with the Gillie accusations). And Carter 2, along with Dedication 2 and Drought 2, seem to cement in my mind Wayne's credibility as an emcee.

Carter 3 and after, though commercially successful, were just pop-influenced, semi coherent ramblings (not sure if he and Kanye drank from the same bottle of Ace, since they both decided to ride auto tune and tried to venture out of rap with R&B and Rock albums).

But Wayne can go in every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom