• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
kamspy said:
I know. I didn't even know he had a cool Goon seal. If it's not posted here, Nah Right or Live Mixtapes, I probably miss it.

Now, off to buy some shin guards and plastic cones.

it's cool man. buying shinguards and plastic cones is a good thing to do for the youth of america. unlike trying to sell them on shitty crystalline rap music. ;).

Tokubetsu

MThanded said:
This confirms my suspicions.

Tyler is far from my favorite (or even top 3) OF member but I'm still gonna support (in hopes we get more from the rest of the crew sooner). Tyler is like the gateway drug into OF. You smoke Tyler and then you end up snorting MellowHype, popping tabs of Earl and shooting up Frank Ocean.

IrishNinja

any of you caught (up in toronto) or heard about Beats Rhymes & Life, the new Tribe documentary? link there says ali & phife were cool with it, Tip's saying on his twitter he didnt see the final cut and doesn't seem pleased. one of the fans said it highlighted the rift between him/phife too much, but even id love to know what happened there, cant wait till a screener leaks or something.

fuck i miss Native Tongue.

DominoKid

What would you say if I told you that Curren$y ghostwrote Tha Carter II?

i'm not saying that I believe it either (or that its true), but its an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

either way it dont matter cause they've had completely opposite skill trajectories since C$ left YM

LOZLINK

DominoKid said:
What would you say if I told you that Curren$y ghostwrote Tha Carter II?

i'm not saying that I believe it either (or that its true), but its an idea I've been kicking around for a while.
Doubt it.

kamspy

The GAF HOP Steam Group is alive. Add me or Toku and we'll shoot you an invite. I invited everyone I have on my friends list I can think of so far.

My steam id is kamspy

Slizz

Yo Miami GAF-Hopper's:

Curren$y, Smoke DZA, Trademark tha Skydiver, Young Roddy all gonna be performing at Grand Central June 16th. I have to go to this, therefore I will. Holler if you're down

iavi

MThanded said:
This confirms my suspicions.

Out of the samples, Transylvania is the only one that I'm really feeling. I'm sure that'll change as I get a grab at the full tracks, but it doesn't inspire hope.

HiResDes

2630411965-1.jpg

Grab the EP for $4, support Soul Khan!

LOZLINK

I want a steam hop invite :(
Man, my friend is such a OF stan. Can't say anything bad about tyler at all. Bitches and whores man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IrishNinja said:
any of you caught (up in toronto) or heard about Beats Rhymes & Life, the new Tribe documentary? link there says ali & phife were cool with it, Tip's saying on his twitter he didnt see the final cut and doesn't seem pleased. one of the fans said it highlighted the rift between him/phife too much, but even id love to know what happened there, cant wait till a screener leaks or something.

fuck i miss Native Tongue.
There's been a huge controversy over this. I think they all went on MTV Live recently and read aloud the accidental E-Mail Tip got that basically exposed the shadiest shit the director did, trying to exploit ATCQ with the documentary.

And I've been seeing a ton of people getting banned recently, WTF. We need vigilante Blackace on the scene.

IrishNinja

kamspy said:
The GAF HOP Steam Group is alive. Add me or Toku and we'll shoot you an invite. I invited everyone I have on my friends list I can think of so far.

My steam id is kamspy

/ADDED, #SWAG

im only gonna speak on that page in lyrics. great call, kams.

Slizz said:
Yo Miami GAF-Hopper's:

Curren$y, Smoke DZA, Trademark tha Skydiver, Young Roddy all gonna be performing at Grand Central June 16th. I have to go to this, therefore I will. Holler if you're down

i havent really given DZA or the others a try, but i think im down just for Curren$y....what are the details? price/etc? i'm actually off that night...

enzo_gt said:
There's been a huge controversy over this. I think they all went on MTV Live recently and read aloud the accidental E-Mail Tip got that basically exposed the shadiest shit the director did, trying to exploit ATCQ with the documentary.

for real? that's really shitty, i knew Tip was pissy about something legit. any more on the particulars?
and yeah, few heads over in gaming seem gone recently too. who we missing from here? fuck, where's my man Shinobis at?

Slizz

IrishNinja said:
i havent really given DZA or the others a try, but i think im down just for Curren$y....what are the details? price/etc? i'm actually off that night...

General admission; says the show starts at 8, doors open at 7, 20$, age 18 and up

neptunes

IrishNinja said:
/ADDED, #SWAG

im only gonna speak on that page in lyrics. great call, kams.

for real? that's really shitty, i knew Tip was pissy about something legit. any more on the particulars?
and yeah, few heads over in gaming seem gone recently too. who we missing from here? fuck, where's my man Shinobis at?
ALl things aside, tip vs. phife dawg was one of the reasons the group broke up though.

DominoKid

MThanded said:
zRxf5.png

Seriously...

it aint like he knowledgeable about it. even the Based God doesnt know everything.

LILBTHEBASEDGOD Lil B From The Pack
and do you techqinlly no osama has killed these people? im tryna get abettr understanding, because i dont speak on things i dont no - Lil B
2 minutes ago

LILBTHEBASEDGOD Lil B From The Pack
whats ur perspective on osama ? i dont no much so i wanna no both sides? why do u think he was motivated to kill? - Lil B
3 minutes ago

IrishNinja

@ neptunes - yeah, i even remember the maxwell shots phife took on tip, i thought that got patched up though...i was so hopeful after that I CU doin' it with badu and them being on tours that they'd be back, but this shit looks like it didn't help.
what beef did Ali shaheed have?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I understand what Based God is trying to say.. but he is admittedly uninformed and cannot articulate what he's trying to do well.

Like someone said in the other thread, potential death of a meme incoming.

Tokubetsu

I cannot fucking WAIT for all the conspiracy raps that are gonna be coming in the next few weeks. Who knows, maybe we'll get some new gem from Canibus? Ras Kass maybe? Nature of The Threat PT. II

PBY

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I cannot fucking WAIT for all the conspiracy raps that are gonna be coming in the next few weeks. Who knows, maybe we'll get some new gem from Canibus? Ras Kass maybe? Nature of The Threat PT. II
Lupe?

IrishNinja

KRS prolly, id love to see something from Immortal Technique.

also: if BASED GOD is a troll to you guys, how is his trolling equating "death of a meme"? that was a masterfully timed troll, 2nd place behind the limbaugh one i thought.

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:
Please God no. Lupe is gonna be on some dumb shit if he does. He aint as bright as he thinks he is.

But smarter than most of the rappers you claim to like.

Edit: Let me clarify, Lupe is one intelligent dude. He makes one or two songs that some people disagree with and he gets labeled a faux intellectual rapper. Disagree with him all you want, but the guy has his heart in the right place and does know some shit, he just sometimes veers a little more to the conspiracy side of shit.

IrishNinja

you know, i wanna say Recon's playing Lupde Defense Force/stan here, but if i think of intellectual/conscious rappers, i have a hard time naming one that doesnt have a dumbass theory on 9-11/gov't creating AIDS/etc.
id like to think Rakim hasn't said anything particularly dumb, but part of me would rather not know.

Tokubetsu

Killer Mike is one of the few I'll listen to when he talks in interviews and he STILL dips into conspiracy shit every now and then.

Recon

Banned
IrishNinja said:
you know, i wanna say Recon's playing Lupde Defense Force/stan here, but if i think of intellectual/conscious rappers, i have a hard time naming one that doesnt have a dumbass theory on 9-11/gov't creating AIDS/etc.
id like to think Rakim hasn't said anything particularly dumb, but part of me would rather not know.

Everyone usually has some weird theory or belief, rappers are just like everyone else, they just have a much bigger platform to speak their beliefs.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lil B is dumber than dogshit? What a shocker. Judging by his magnificent lyrical ability I would have never guessed.

As far as Lupe and Mos and all the other rappers who say stupid shit sometimes, there is a reason I stopped reading most interviews with rappers years ago. It becomes harder and harder to be a fan of hip hop when you read some of the stupid bullshit that comes out of these fucker's mouths.
It's especially aggravating with guys who have great points and come across intelligent in other instances, only to say something that makes you want to face palm so hard you leave a fucking handprint.

edit: on an unrelated note, I totally didn't see that Mac Lethal tape. Downloading now, Mac Lethal is a pretty mixed bag a lot of the time but when he's on point he's fantastic.

I knew Mos was a conspiracy theorist for years and kinda dismissed it. But when I saw him embarrass himself on Bill Maher's show I lost a lot of respect for him. Dude just sounded uninformed and ignorant, something I would have never said of him before.

Lupe is a complete idiot, so I'm sure he'll have plenty to say about this news. It's just a shame most hip hop folks who interview him don't know much either, so he's never challenged. Well, expect for the time Rhymefest annihilated him.

IrishNinja

PhoenixDark said:
Well, expect for the time Rhymefest annihilated him.

that i gotta see.
yeah, never saw but i heard mos "IM FROM BROOKLYN" was kinda out of his league on Maher.
KRS on 9/11: "when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm ... justice.' " right up there with Nas cheerleading gaddafi.

parrotbeak said:
I'm alright with them not being up on history/current events, but I expect rappers to be more articulate.
After listening to Illmatic and several other Nas albums, you would think Nas can speak.

All of his interviews have him sounding like a brain dead patient. Not sure if it's the weed or not.

Same goes for Jay Electronica. Lyrical beast on the mic, but he babbles/stutters nonstop incoherently in interviews.

Now, let's see who the first rapper will be to drop, "Osama is dead" or "I killed Osama."

lol @ the people saying Lil B's tweets could be the potential death of a meme. Lil B was never the brightest apple of the bunch.

Detox

spindashing said:
After listening to Illmatic and several other Nas albums, you would think Nas can speak.

All of his interviews have him sounding like a brain dead patient. Not sure if it's the weed or not.

Same goes for Jay Electronica. Lyrical beast on the mic, but he babbles/stutters nonstop incoherently in interviews.
A lot of great MC's just sound weird when they are interviewed l have no idea what the problem is but it's like they can never form their ideas properly before answering a question.

I hope Osama's death doesn't mean Immortal Tech has to go through a couple of tracks and change some lines or completely scrap a song which might delay it. I'm going to guess Tech will go the route that Osama's death really doesn't make a huge difference and he will just be a martyr.

HiResDes

Eh, I'm indifferent to Osama's death. I don't want to get into it here, but there are actually a few ways in which this new power vacuum could make for a messier situation. Lil B's comments are more Christian like than most of the religious hypocrites in America, even if they were made out of complete ignorance lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom