• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOZLINK

spindashing said:
After listening to Illmatic and several other Nas albums, you would think Nas can speak.

All of his interviews have him sounding like a brain dead patient. Not sure if it's the weed or not.

Same goes for Jay Electronica. Lyrical beast on the mic, but he babbles/stutters nonstop incoherently in interviews.

Now, let's see who the first rapper will be to drop, "Osama is dead" or "I killed Osama."

lol @ the people saying Lil B's tweets could be the potential death of a meme. Lil B was never the brightest apple of the bunch.
What do you guys mean potential death of a meme? Which meme?

TheOddOne

This is what Bun wrote about Big Hawk:
“Yesterday was May 1, 2011. For most people, it was just another day. In many countries, it represented International Workers Day, or Labour Day. Here in the city of Houston, this date carries extra significance. It was five years ago today that John “Big Hawk” Hawkins, a member of Houston’s Screwed Up Click, was murdered. His loss was felt by all in Houston’s hip-hop community, as he was well known and loved for his honesty, upbeat attitude and peaceful character. Tragically his own brother, Patrick “Fat Pat” Hawkins, a fellow member of the Screwed Up Click, was also murdered just a few years prior. To this day, Hawk’s killer has never been found. We are saddened by his passing, but we are encouraged by his memory. He is survived by his wife and two sons. I think I speak for all SUC fans, as well as your family and friends, when I say we miss you Hawk. R.I.P.” – Bun B
hawklt.jpg

R.I.P.

exarkun

I liked Hawk, and Bun is as classy as always. RIP

I just got Lasers, and I have to say: Lupe's record company must be dumb as fuck. There are three songs on here that could be monster smashes on the radio for the summer and I haven't heard a single one. Whereas Gaga is releasing singles to promote her albums, I haven't heard anything of Lupe on the radio. I have no idea how he made it to 1 on the charts with no single out right now.

Dumb. I hate it when record companies just mess things up. Like Big Boi's album, there was only one real single that got play. They could have at least released Tamborine or the last song of the album, the gucci feature, any of them.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
exarkun said:

I just got Lasers, and I have to say: Lupe's record company must be dumb as fuck. There are three songs on here that could be monster smashes on the radio for the summer and I haven't heard a single one. Whereas Gaga is releasing singles to promote her albums, I haven't heard anything of Lupe on the radio. I have no idea how he made it to 1 on the charts with no single out right now.

Dumb. I hate it when record companies just mess things up. Like Big Boi's album, there was only one real single that got play. They could have at least released Tamborine or the last song of the album, the gucci feature, any of them.
Agreed.

Recon

Banned
exarkun said:

The Show Goes On was pretty big, i never listen to the radio so i cant say if it was on the radio or not.

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I knew Mos was a conspiracy theorist for years and kinda dismissed it. But when I saw him embarrass himself on Bill Maher's show I lost a lot of respect for him. Dude just sounded uninformed and ignorant, something I would have never said of him before.

Lupe is a complete idiot, so I'm sure he'll have plenty to say about this news. It's just a shame most hip hop folks who interview him don't know much either, so he's never challenged. Well, expect for the time Rhymefest annihilated him.

Rhymefest is one of my favorite rappers, and Bullet is one of my favorite hip hop songs, but Lupe is not a complete idiot.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
exarkun said:

Bun B could easily take Chuck D's spot as the "go to" guy the media contacts for rap's reaction to news and events. He is that articulate and has a worldy view that most rappers lack.

The circumstances around that Big Boi album were crazy. That was a good album that got totally jerked around by label issues. Resulting in him just leaking songs, shooting his own videos and trying to get buzz for his shows instead of the album. Hell, the mixtape he pout out before release had most of the album on there for free. Even for fans, by the time the album did come out, you had legaly obtained most of the best songs from the album for free.

In general I am not sure how this mixtape strategy is going to work out long-term. Sure you get buzz and excitement for an artist, but you also create a situation of conditioning fans to expect things for free. I remember people counting down the days until the T.I. mixtape (which turned out better than the album) like it was a major release. I think it is great for us to listen to music for free, but at the end of the day does it decrease money in rap even more? Big KRIT giving away his album makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I was thinking they could have remastered "KRIT wuz here", add a couple of new tracks to get buzz, then a month later release 'return of 4eva". I have been saying for awhile that rappers need to try to get sponsors on these things. I would throw a skit for Skittles on my mixtape in a second!!!!

Recon

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Bun B could easily take Chuck D's spot as the "go to" guy the media contacts for rap's reaction to news and events. He is that articulate and has a worldy view that most rappers lack.

The circumstances around that Big Boi album were crazy. That was a good album that got totally jerked around by label issues. Resulting in him just leaking songs, shooting his own videos and trying to get buzz for his shows instead of the album. Hell, the mixtape he pout out before release had most of the album on there for free. Even for fans, by the time the album did come out, you had legaly obtained most of the best songs from the album for free.

In general I am not sure how this mixtape strategy is going to work out long-term. Sure you get buzz and excitement for an artist, but you also create a situation of conditioning fans to expect things for free. I remember people counting down the days until the T.I. mixtape (which turned out better than the album) like it was a major release. I think it is great for us to listen to music for free, but at the end of the day does it decrease money in rap even more? Big KRIT giving away his album makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I was thinking they could have remastered "KRIT wuz here", add a couple of new tracks to get buzz, then a month later release 'return of 4eva". I have been saying for awhile that rappers need to try to get sponsors on these things. I would throw a skit for Skittles on my mixtape in a second!!!!

Well,to be honest, all that most of these artists care about is buzz anyways, since they see mostly nothing from their album sales. What i dont get is why Kritts label decided to release returnof4eva for free...that shit was album quality.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ReconYoda said:
Well,to be honest, all that most of these artists care about is buzz anyways, since they see mostly nothing from their album sales. What i dont get is why Kritts label decided to release returnof4eva for free...that shit was album quality.

True, but at what point does the label system totally disappear if artists don't care about album sales? What if new "mixtape" labels started up? Signing artists, fronting money for tours, making money off mixtape sponsorships and a cut of tour profits. I mean, give it all away and make money off shows. Not even sure that would work. Just thinking aloud.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Guesses on the countdown to Lupe's inevitable Osama's death related song? How many days from now? I'm saying 4.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Guesses on the countdown to Lupe's inevitable Osama's death related song? How many days from now? I'm saying 4.

The Lupe twist is that he thinks instead of killing Osama, we should have put him on a public speaking tour on the liberal college circuit.

lupedressedashipsterterroristwearingsunglassesindoors.jpg

Detox

Focus got good beats not sure about the rapping I would need to hear some more tracks although there is this Idols & Role Models which I thought was really good. Speaking of focus, I'm not sure if this was posted earlier in the thread before I joined but everyone needs to download his Pay Homage mixtape where he pays homage to all the top producers (premier, Pete Rock, RZA, Dr Dre, Jay Dilla) by mimicking their style and getting some guys to rap over it.

Edit: @kampsy I'm of those guys that likes Game's namedropping. I'm just a sucker for stuff like that.

kamspy

The Rae shit is dope, and the Lil B comment, as HiResDes summed up, is more christian then most responses from actual christians.

Esch

Banned
I like the beat a lot but it is fucking stupid as hell to release a snippet of a song like that one. And to compare Osama to MLK and Malcolm X. He's gonna get horrible press from it and his NY fanbase will fucking hate it if the rest of the song continues in that vein

HiResDes

Probably not the list you were expecting, which I will be posting on a late night creep after having a couple beers...

HRD's Honest Top Ten Favorite Albums:

1. Nas - Illmatic
2. Ghostface Killah - Ironman
3. Outkast - ATLiens
4. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
5. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
6. Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star
7. Shabazz Palaces - Self-Titled
8. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
9. Kool G Rap - 4,5,6
10. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
I like the beat a lot but it is fucking stupid as hell to release a snippet of a song like that one. And to compare Osama to MLK and Malcolm X. He's gonna get horrible press from it and his NY fanbase will fucking hate it if the rest of the song continues in that vein

I like the lyrics that were in the snippet. I didn't hear anything specifically offensive.

Esch

Banned
You don't think comparing a mass murderer and terrorist with two guys who are renowned civil rights activists(despite their own misgivings) is a bad idea?

kamspy

Well, I'm not gonna open the can of worms in this thread. But I will say that I'm also pretty indifferent about the news story as a whole. I can see why people over there can get behind a guy like Osama.

I might be late about this, but... am I going crazy, or did Royce say in his 2nd verse on Fast Lane say he'd dig up the corpse of Jack Kevorkian?

Someone please tell me I'm wrong. Jack Kevorkian isn't dead.

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
Well, I'm not gonna open the can of worms in this thread. But I will say that I'm also pretty indifferent about the news story as a whole. I can see why people over there can get behind a guy like Osama.
Sure, but that doesn't mean this isn't going to make the people who pay for his ginormous sacks of weed very fucking pissed

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Oh jesus not even the Hip Hop thread is safe from this bullshit. Fuck Raekwon. When people told your boring ass to rap about something other than the same old guns and drugs bullshit they didn't mean you should romanticize a mass murderer you dipshit.

I expect more of this bullshit from various rappers though. For every brilliant mind hip hop draws in, it also draws 10 dumbfucks who just happen to have a gift for rhyming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
Probably not the list you were expecting, which I will be posting on a late night creep after having a couple beers...

HRD's Honest Top Ten Favorite Albums:

1. Nas - Illmatic
2. Ghostface Killah - Ironman
3. Outkast - ATLiens
4. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
5. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
6. Talib Kweli & Mos Def - Black Star
7. Shabazz Palaces - Self-Titled
8. N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
9. Kool G Rap - 4,5,6
10. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
I expected more obscure shit I've never heard of before and would never care for in my lifetime, TBH.

kamspy

The Ironman ranking is kinda shocking. Never seen it up that high on any list. Hell, never seen it over Supreme Clientele on any list.

kamspy

parrotbeak said:
My first rap cassettes were Run DMC's King of Rock and Fat Boys' Big and Beautiful. You feeling old for having a Ghostface tape makes me feel really old.

Mine was either Kriss Kross or C&C Music Factory.

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:
Mine was either Kriss Kross or C&C Music Factory.

True story, as a kid, to get me to jump in the pool at the YMCA swim lessons, my sister had to start singing Kriss Kross' "Jump." One of my earliest memories too haha.

Kaizer

Banned
parrotbeak said:
Someone please me older than me. :(

I was in 6th grade in 1986 and I think I bought them at Sears of all places with birthday money.
Hah, in 1986 I hadn't even been thought of yet. Pops was still bumping that good hip-hop though when I was still just a sea man.

Anybody ever seen this J.Cole studio footage? Dude is funny as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom