• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
i dont think all the instrumentals are on point but i really like the ones for DSoM and Halftime so yea

i think this is a pretty good way for el to raise awareness of his own stuff. I need a legit followup to the preface though. he showed similar chops on this album, he just needs to do it...over his own beats

kamspy

DSoM is the worst. The melody is only off by milliseconds, but it turns Preem's classic into an alarm clock noise. Just goes to show how important that intangible "touch" is when it comes to making music.

hubes

EschatonDX said:
i dont think all the instrumentals are on point but i really like the ones for DSoM and Halftime so yea

i think this is a pretty good way for el to raise awareness of his own stuff. I need a legit followup to the preface though. he showed similar chops on this album, he just needs to do it...over his own beats
is his stuff with slum village worth getting? i heard about elzhi for awhile but never got around to listening to him till a couple weeks ago when i listened to the preface and that was dope.

RPS37

This hasn't been posted yet?

Q3pdw.jpg

arsFw.jpg

Download

Haven't heard the other 5 songs, but the 2 leaks were decent.

And I guess I'll say it....EAST COAST BLU!!!

Update: I'm on the last song. I love it.

kamspy

I put Goblin in the same tier as Illmatic, The Chronic, Death Certificate. etc.

5 mics.

Straight up.

Suck it down haters. I don't even like alt rap. Ask anyone. So coming from me, this is high praise.

nns3d

Why is Wale collaborating with Rick Ross? I stopped keeping tabs on him since More About Nothing.

EDIT: Skyzoo beat is smooth, waaayy better than Dr. Carter.

kamspy said:
In comparison to the originals they sound like Mario Paint knock offs.

The fuck? It's live instrumentation, piff as hell. I haven't listened yet, but I heard the leaks and they were fire. Bass seemed low tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stat Flow said:
Okay...that new fucking J. Cole is better than Disgusting by far. Damn I love that beat.
Yep. Here's a link. Damn though, Cole needs to step up his hook game though.

kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

Suck it down haters. I don't even like alt rap. Ask anyone. So coming from me, this is high praise.
you are already dead.

Baby Milo

listening to that shit now. Woooooooow joe budden better hope no one who can bury him in prison is listening to that.

he's fucking detailing the physical altercation live on air.

kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

Stop it, I'm not falling for the hype!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

Kamspy is so old he's starting to get delusional and psychotic.

Now that Goblin has had time to sink in, I find that Tyler himself is fantastic as a rapper. No he isn't the most skilled lyricist, but I love his voice, delivery, and word choice.
But I fucking hate the production on the album. It ranges from tolerable to downright awful.
And thats the final word on Goblin, print it bitches.

kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

Word up son, someone needs to take that avatar away. You don't deserve that shit, b

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

Well, at least now i know not to get all hot and bothered about your opinion on(as DarkPhoenix said) those live instrumentals.

As for the guy who asked me about Slum and El: Trinity's not so bad, but SV without Jay Dee just isn't the same. It's worth a listen though.

I've been listening to Goblin too, trying to get a better feel for it but my opinion still stands. A great rapper(in the making?) rapping about nothing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Baby Milo said:
listening to that shit now. Woooooooow joe budden better hope no one who can bury him in prison is listening to that.

he's fucking detailing the physical altercation live on air.
Just finished listening. Nothing that can land him in jail is in that. I think at this point, he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is innocent. Way too much shady shit from Esther's end, and Joey blew that shit up properly. He comes off generally honest about what happened even through devil's advocate Charlemagne pressing him on.

Besides the ignorant sarcastic remarks he made on twitter, I think he handled this fairly well actually. Still not a good look, but I guess any look is a good look if they're eventually looking at the Mood Muzik 4.5 trailer.

*sigh of relief from a Budden fan*

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
enzo_gt said:
Just finished listening. Nothing that can land him in jail is in that. I think at this point, he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is innocent. Way too much shady shit from Esther's end, and Joey blew that shit up properly. He comes off generally honest about what happened even through devil's advocate Charlemagne pressing him on.

Besides the ignorant sarcastic remarks he made on twitter, I think he handled this fairly well actually. Still not a good look, but I guess any look is a good look if they're eventually looking at the Mood Muzik 4.5 trailer.

*sigh of relief from a Budden fan*
Take off your Budden Goggles.

He put the shit in a song first. The bullshit backpedaling, after the fact, is laughable.

You want to believe, for some strange reason.

kamspy

I'll explain my take. Every track on there is it's own focused project. Majority of hip hop albums are boringly formulated. Even the new unique stuff I've been hip to like krit, cunninlynguist is great, but its derivative.

To paraphrase meth, there ain't no father to his style.

Of the newer rappers, the only other ones I put with tyler are curren$y and Jay Electronica. Everything else out there has been done before. That doesn't make it bad, I'm just saying. I can see how some people can't dig tyler. You gotta be a little fucked up.

Detox

I have to say the part where he said yeah I sat on here but under her breasts not her stomach I was like what that is basically stomach especially considering she probably has big breasts. Then he backpedals and says but I wasn't putting any pressure on her, if he is so determined not to put pressure on her for obvious reasons there is no way she couldn't have got back up.

EDIT: kampsy when you say formulated do you mean an album has a concept or that Goblin isn't the usual album where it follows the pattern of having a couple of obvious club songs? I think I have to listen to Goblin at least because of all the mixed opinions

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
K.Jack said:
Take off your Budden Goggles.

He put the shit in a song first. The bullshit backpedaling, after the fact, is laughable.

You want to believe, for some strange reason.
Not sure what your implying here. Yeah Joe brought this out to the forefront first, now how does that make Esther a more legitimate source of information again? She's been caught to be lying. Derrick corroborated the cheating. I don't remember the bit where he said in the song I sat on your stomach for half an hour.

Budden goggles don't exist, go read my initial reactions a few pages ago.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

That is probably the most LOL worthy post of the year so far.

HiResDes

The only thing that baffles me is how a person could like Goblin and not like Bastard as well. They're very similar, but Bastard seems like the more cohesive package given that Tyler is able to say what he wants without second guessing himself.

siddx said:
Kamspy is so old he's starting to get delusional and psychotic.

Now that Goblin has had time to sink in, I find that Tyler himself is fantastic as a rapper. No he isn't the most skilled lyricist, but I love his voice, delivery, and word choice.
But I fucking hate the production on the album. It ranges from tolerable to downright awful.
And thats the final word on Goblin, print it bitches.

did you watch the needle drop's review of Goblin? did you have that opinion before you watched it?

Tokubetsu said:
I actually think Tyler's production is one of his stronger assests.

agreed. I'm a little thrown off by people saying they aren't feeling the beats. maybe people are tired of that "neptunes" synth etc. maybe the mixing was off.. I'm not an expert.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
This hasn't been posted yet?

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/Q3pdw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/arsFw.jpg[/IMG]

Download

Haven't heard the other 5 songs, but the 2 leaks were decent.

And I guess I'll say it....EAST COAST BLU!!!

Update: I'm on the last song. I love it.
HYPE

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kamspy said:

5 mics.

Straight up.

We will see how you feel in two weeks. You are high off that new CD smell.

We all have been there at one time or another.

Bishman

Tguy said:
Jeez, a lot of crazy stuff has happened. Joe Budden supposedly killing a fetus or whatever(didn't read into it).

Lauryn Hill being a fraud. I never really knew that and never really looked into it, but oh well I still love that album, it sucks her personality is like that though.

People calling J. Cole shit.....in comparison to Tyler? Really, this is going to need some explanation lol, because I don't care which rapper has more distinguishing qualities. A better rapper is a better rapper. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Kid Cudi fans here, just sayin.
Explain about Lauryn Hill please.

And lol at people calling J. Cole shit. Smarten up people.

I listened to Goblin a few times. The beats are probably a 6/10. They're not full beats, melodic, etc. They seem basic, simple. They get the job done in providing an adequate frame or compliment to his lyrics.

For someone who produces and rhymes, Tyler is a good combo (probably a better rapper than Kanye but not the same level of producer, not a good producer as Black Milk but slightly better rapper, Better rapper than Alchemist, worse producer, etc).

Personally, I think Tyler reminds me of Cage or Eminem. You just don't normally hear these type of dark, shock-value laden lyrics spouted by a someone of his color. The multiple personalities (Slim Shady, Eminem, Marshal Mathers), the dark lyrics and content (Cage and other horror-core rappers).

Some people are hyping Goblin to the levels of Kanye's last joint or comparing it to the greatness of Illmatic (which is probably one of the few "perfect" albums in hip-hop).

I'm going to listen to Bastard tomorrow.

Bishman said:

Someone said that Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was ghostwritten(I believe) and that she has a real bad attitude. I would read back to confirm, but damn you guys typed like 5 pages while I was asleep yesterday.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
matics said:
did you watch the needle drop's review of Goblin? did you have that opinion before you watched it?

What the fuck is needledrop

Nabs

toasty_T said:
Ugggh! The Elmatic that got dropped is 128kbps? I can't listen to this shit. This is some stone age shit.

Completely killed my hype.
Well, it's free. If you want it in .flac, just buy the thing.

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
Next illmatic??? That already happen with Em's debut album. But there hasn't been one since him. Rakim change the game of production(Eric B) and flow. After that, you got Nas. A game changer for the 90's when it came to story telling and lyrics. The 90's is a very interesting era of Hip-Hop. Every year people step their game up. Look at the production tip, so many styles from that time is still being use till this day. Back to the topic, Paid in Full, change the game. So did illmatic. Hate him or love him, but em step the game up with he's debut. Dude could spit and tell stories. He brought a different view to the game that people were not use to hearing(White Thrash hood America)Then your typical project, gangbang drama shit.

Not a fan of Em, but you got to give props were is due. That's why when people think Lil'wanye is the best, I want to throw-up. Homeboy hasn't put work like Rakim, Nas and Em. He ain't battle no one at all. How you going to claim your nice when you know Jada Kiss would murder you on the MIC, lol. 6Kisses.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Bishman said:

I personally don't think that J. Cole is shit--in fact, I enjoyed The Warm Up, which showed that he has a ton of potential. However, I thought Friday Night Lights was disappointingly average. I can't even entirely place what was wrong with it, but it just seemed like more of the same stuff that we heard on his previous releases, and kind of boring at that. :/ New songs by him that I have heard in recent months haven't got me excited for his debut either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom