• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

LOZLINK said:
not a snob at all, but cmon son. Illmatic is perfection, can't say the same as goblin. Solid album, but in no way on the same level as hip hop greats. Red Flame>Goblin

There are more than a couple gaffers here who believe It Was Written > Illmatic. Just so you know.

overcast

Goblin is really good stuff. Doesn't touch Illmatic though.
Damn, the Cole track was pulled before I could listen to it.
When does noyork drop?

LOZLINK

Tokubetsu said:
There are more than a couple gaffers here who believe It Was Written > Illmatic. Just so you know.
Of course I realize that, there's also a gaffer who believes Wu tang Forever>36 chambers who's also the best drunk poster ever.

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
LOZLINK said:
Of course I realize that, there's also a gaffer who believes Wu tang Forever>36 chambers who's also the best drunk poster ever.

One was raw, the other is a mature Wu.....Give me Wu4Ever any day, sunshine. 6kisses#

overcast

Net_Wrecker said:
That new J. Cole is SO much better than Disgusting. I don't know what he was thinking with that track.
Seriously. Apparently this is another random cole track, not off the album. Hopefully the album is like this, but even better.

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
LOZLINK said:
Shinobi that you?
Thank you, but no honey. 6Kisses sweetie# Anyway, Is J.Cole doing all the production for his debut album? Or does he have fellow dudes from the rock lacing him with beats, like Kanye? I wouldn't mind J.Cole on a Just Blaze beat.

illadelph

Elzhi tape is bananas. The live instrumentation, while some may dislike it, was a great way to differentiate it from the original. I love the instrumental interludes, I got fucking chills when that Represent intro kicked in on the track before it. I like how he didn't just set out to copy it lyrically, he re imagined each song...... One Love is a perfect example of this.

The complaints I have:
- Where is One Time 4 Your Mind?!?
- Detroit State of Mind beat is slightly off as someone said earlier. This makes it probably the weakest track IMO.
- Royce feature was kind of embarrassing. Some people can write songs, others just write bars.... Royce is the latter. Generic and uninspired.

Overall, one of the best releases of the year. THIS is how you pay homage. I can see a bunch of shitty rappers right now trying to remake The Chronic and 36 Chambers and failing miserably...

RPS37

Nero – Skew It On The Bar-B Freestyle

Omen – Colorful Noose (prod. Voli)

Also, this free album came out today

3pkMK.jpg

xjxs4.jpg

Focus - Music of the Misinterpretted [bandcamp link so it's streamable]

kamspy

It only occurred to me last night that Elzhi is the dude from Slum Village. That's where I know the name from.

Also:

FRANK FUCKING OCEAN GODDAM SON

IrishNinja

RPS37 - streaming that Focus - Music of the Misinterpretted now, shit's nice so far...thanks man! vocals sound slightly familiar (in a good way) and production's good by me too.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
It only occurred to me last night that Elzhi is the dude from Slum Village. That's where I know the name from.

Also:

FRANK FUCKING OCEAN GODDAM SON
Mayer Hawthorne > Novel > Frank Ocean > Weeknd

DominoKid

who knows.

he's still got the mixtape w/ DJ Drama. the mixtape w/ Chuck English. and Pilot Talk 3 coming out this year.

so no shortage of Spitta in the coming months.

i hope he does a mixtape or EP w/ Trademark. they compliment each other well.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Mayer Hawthorne > Novel > Frank Ocean > Weeknd

Not gonna lie, but lately, you've been pissing me off HiRes. I feel like you do this shit now just to be different. *folds arms* Mayer Hawthorne over Ocean? Really bruh? This is coming from someone who owns that Novel EP with cowboys too. I'm throwing you off the building.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
Not gonna lie, but lately, you've been pissing me off HiRes. I feel like you do this shit now just to be different. *folds arms* Mayer Hawthorne over Ocean? Really bruh? This is coming from someone who owns that Novel EP with cowboys too. I'm throwing you off the building.
Sometimes I'll post shit just to fuck with ya'll, but I'm dead serious on this...

I like Frank Ocean, but jeez I thought that mixtape only had like 4 or 5 bangers on it...Novel and Mayer Hawthorne have a couple of releases under their belt and each one has like 8 or 9 bangers on it.

Also...DANKNESS (Listen to the understated lyrics, figure out what makes that shit genius).

DominoKid

MH freaked the Chromeo song real nice.

I feel like I need to be sipping on a classy beverage listening to this.

what else has he put out since A Strange Arrangement?

HiResDes

...You've Got the Makings of a Lover is so dank from the new release

Also the ScienZe track with Ayomari is so momentous, JEEZ!

...Novel's Legato Blues Summer > Nostalgia Ultra

HiResDes

DominoKid said:
MH freaked the Chromeo song real nice.

I feel like I need to be sipping on a classy beverage listening to this.

what else has he put out since A Strange Arrangement?

I Need You....I dare anyone to say something bad about the track!

And grab the mixtape he just put out

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Legato Summer Blues was indeed good stuff. But I am not a huge fan of RnB in general.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
...You've Got the Makings of a Lover is so dank from the new release

Also the ScienZe track with Ayomari is so momentous, JEEZ!

...Novel's Legato Blues Summer > Nostalgia Ultra

Never talk to me again HiRes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom