• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Nas Scraps Lost Tapes 2.

http://rapradar.com/2011/05/16/nas-scraps-lost-tapes-2/

Surprised this wasn't posted yet. I'm kindof disappointed with this news tbh.

fuuuuuck. really did want him to have one more in him, too.

not entirely sure he's ready for the sunset as dre is, unlike ya'll...then again i might be making peace with the forthcoming struggles he's gonna put out to appease his baby momma.

jigga on the other hand....

Acid08

Banned
IrishNinja said:
fuuuuuck. really did want him to have one more in him, too.

not entirely sure he's ready for the sunset as dre is, unlike ya'll...then again i might be making peace with the forthcoming struggles he's gonna put out to appease his baby momma.

jigga on the other hand....
The best thing Nas has done in years is his one feature on the Beasties new album. He's done.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Acid08 said:
The best thing Nas has done in years is his one feature on the Beasties new album. He's done.
Distant Relatives.

Basically, for Nas to succeed again, he needs Jay or anyone with at least an elementary school education to do all of his interviews for him and make ALL of his decisions, life or music related. Then when he does need to speak, put him next to a kindergartener to make him look intellectual by comparison.

kamspy said:
It's been a good career Nas. Now please, you and Dre need to ride off into the sunset now. We'll be fine. Thanks for Illmatic. It Was Written is pretty good too, but damn those Trackmaster beasts. You Steve Stoute trustin mother fucker.
Okay this made me laugh :lol

Acid08

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Distant Relatives.

Basically, for Nas to succeed again, he needs Jay or anyone with at least an elementary school education to do all of his interviews for him and make ALL of his decisions, life or music related. Then when he does need to speak, put him next to a kindergartener to make him look intellectual by comparison.
Distant Relatives was way less about Nas and more about Damian Marley for me. Nas could have been replaced with any rapper really.

Jay Sosa

Acid08 said:
Distant Relatives was way less about Nas and more about Damian Marley for me. Nas could have been replaced with any rapper really.

Agree, I kinda hope for a Distant Relatives 2 with Gucci or Wacka Flocka, at least their both at the top of the game right now..or how abour Ross?. Dude's been killing it lately, he even destroyed 50 Cent!! Nas should finally retire for good. Nobody cares for him any more.

Tokubetsu

Nas adds literally, nothing to Distant Relatives. Pretty much all of his verses are garbage and stale. He doesn't even switch it up to. "Okay so Damian's gonna sing and rap and then go into some spoken word shit here and...I'm just gonna lay a boring ass verse on top that barely relates to what's going on in the song. Okay! Got it!"

I only go back to it for Land of Promise (My mother raised me on Dennis Brown), Dispear and Nah Mean. The thing they all have in common? Damian shits all over them and makes them his bitch.

Road To Zion is still the best Nas x Damian track. Because unlike Nas, Damian is versatile and has no problem adapting to shit. If it's not some 90s era , NE boom bap shit, Nas will sound garbage on it, 9 out of 10 times.

RPS37

PhoenixDark said:
Not buying anything from Blu until I know it's of good sound quality and actually has some songs on it. Gimme reviews folks
I'm only streaming it and I'm only on the first song, but the mixing sounds fuggin awkward.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Uh, I don't know if I can pay $10 for what I just listened to.

I love you Blu and I might buy NoYork, but I'll have to listen to that too.

Now, release your sequel to Below The Heavens with Exile and I will buy that before I even listen to one second of it, even if it's $15.

CRS

RPS37 said:
I'm only streaming it and I'm only on the first song, but the mixing sounds fuggin awkward.
Yep. The first few songs sounded like he recorded the vocals in his fucking kitchen or some shit. 10 dollars is a bit much too.

Acid08

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Uh, I don't know if I can pay $10 for what I just listened to.

I love you Blu and I might buy NoYork, but I'll have to listen to that too.

Now, release your sequel to Below The Heavens with Exile and I will buy that before I even listen to one second of it, even if it's $15.
Supposed to be this year right?

TheOddOne

Tokubetsu said:
Road To Zion is still the best Nas x Damian track. Because unlike Nas, Damian is versatile and has no problem adapting to shit. If it's not some 90s era , NE boom bap shit, Nas will sound garbage on it, 9 out of 10 times.
This. Nas, just embrace the boom bap and let us enjoy it.

LOZLINK

Jay Sosa said:
Agree, I kinda hope for a Distant Relatives 2 with Gucci or Wacka Flocka, at least their both at the top of the game right now..or how abour Ross?. Dude's been killing it lately, he even destroyed 50 Cent!! Nas should finally retire for good. Nobody cares for him any more.
Wait, you're trolling us right.

Jay Sosa

It's sad that you have to ask :D

It's Gucci!

Maybe I have to listen to the Nas/Marley album more intensily (stupid Ocean and Ab Soul are the reason I listen to almost NOTHING else at the moment) to understand where you guys are coming from, the few times I heard it it seemed pretty good and not only because of Mr.Marley. But yeah I didn't really pay attention if Nas says something of relevance to be honest.

But to say he only sounds good on good old NY beats is bs, I remember this phenomenal mixtape (well back when stuff like basically free albums were highly unusual) where someone blended Nas over songs like "the Mule" from Ro and it sounded brilliant.

Brrrr

EDIT: Not the song I was searching for but another good example how he can ride any beat:

Still Tippin

IrishNinja

Jay Sosa said:

takin' the joke too far, sosas

wait, when did officer ricky wreck 50? musta missed that.

Detox

Listen guys let us get one thing straight Nas is the GOAT. He has the best albums, Nastradamus is better than 95.5% of the shit you guys post here at least it has some keepers. Anyway he has the best lyrics, the best flow just so chill and yet serious at the same time, he can carry shit beats with his lyrics (see: ether), he writes the best inspirational songs (see: I Can), best gangster rap (see: It was Written), he is also the greatest ghostwriter in the history of hiphop if he wants to write diamond selling albums he can (see: Big Willie Style).

IrishNinja

Jay Sosa said:
Was a bait for Private Cookie :D the only thing Ross ever wrecked are the springs in his car.

fuck, it's a good one too...i should edit out my post and just wait for the 3 paragraph reply.

detox is mostly on his own here, but he's got a few points: if Nas isnt in your top 10 list, it needs revising.

effzee

Most of you guys know a lot more about Nas than I do so this might be a dumb question:

What exactly prevented him from putting out albums? Not back in the day I mean now. After Jay Z and him ended their beef and Nas was working with Jay Z I just assumed he would at least get the best producers and put out albums. I know about his legal issues with Kelis and the baby. But far lesser rappers with far lesser resources with far bigger problems have been to put work.

Is it just that on top of his Kelis drama he isn't motivated?

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
dskillzhtown said:
According to TMZ it was like I thought it might be, some trivial crap over a chick. As much as we hate on people being "soft", at times you have to do the smart thing and back down. Some crazy peeps out there.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/16/m-bon...dead-drive-by-woman-girlfriend-love-triangle/

OMG, over pussy, really? People need to calm the fuck down. No need to stress over pussy. China has a billion females, and that's just China. We're not running out of females anytime soon. I hope they find that fool, and gets DP in Jail with 10inch cocks with no lube or spit, just straight raw. The only lube he'll get is when the tears finally roll to the back of his crack. If pussy makes you crazy, you don't deserve it, you deserve hard juicy cock instead.

Esch

Banned
Man I love Blu but I think he's been making some 2nd rate production/mixing choices lately. I don't really like him w/FlyLo or Madlib, to be honest. Imagine dude with a dj premier, just blaze, or pete rock.... @_@

EDIT:Yeah, I'm listening to Jesus and it's very frustrating to hear him do this shit again. The sad thing is that this would be buy worthy with some proper mastering, it's kind of absurd to see someone waste prime material like this with...Laziness? Cheapness?

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
EDIT:Yeah, I'm listening to Jesus and it's very frustrating to hear him do this shit again. The sad thing is that this would be buy worthy with some proper mastering, it's kind of absurd to see someone waste prime material like this with...Laziness? Cheapness?

Probably kind bud. Pay someone to mix it down, or get a couple pounds of blueberry kush. It's not a hard decision.

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
Probably kind bud. Pay someone to mix it down, or get a couple pounds of blueberry kush. It's not a hard decision.

Sad but true, probably. The worst shit is that this would be so, so dope with even a little work. The way the vox and beats are mixed is not only low quality but inconsistent with every track. Like, on some tracks the vox will be louder, on others the beats.... And on top of that the actual quality of production varies with every single track. I've literally had less irritating production experience with basement norwegian black metal than this.

The sad thing is that he'll probably go back and try to redo it after the complaints, like some dumb ass kid asking to correct some homework he failed... SMH. Not too long ago, i thought dude was the future of rap.he needs someone to make sure he's not fucking himself over.

EDIT 2: some of the tracks on this are pretty dope despite all the fuckups. I hope he does correct his homework.

kamspy

Yeah, I paid $20 for the CD version of Big KRIT Returnof4eva, and it was the same 160kbps mess that was on the .mp3

The real crime here is that such a sonically awesome album will never be properly preserved. Artists need to watch this shit as we enter the digital age, and we, as consumers have to let them know that crap is not acceptable. Send an email, get on twitter. If you paid for it, let him know how you feel. I expressed my concerns directly to KRIT's camp and got a reply. Not sure if it's gonna fix anything, but I know someone read it. Supposedly, there is no better quality version in existence anymore.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Whats nice about not being a Blu fan is I don't end up disappointed whenever he inevitably releases yet another album that sounds like it was recorded in his bathroom with a built in laptop mic.

Also regarding nas, having one classic album and one good album doesn't automatically put you in my top 10. M Night Shamalamadingdong has one classic movie and one good movie but calling him a top 10 director is like calling Wiz one of top 10 hardest rappers. Consistency is a big part of being a top ten rapper for me. As is having more to offer than being a great lyricist.

Esch

Banned
I left a shout on his lastfm page, but an email might not be a bad idea. This type of straight laziness makes songs like "blu colla workers" kinda look like a load of shit too, dude loves to talk about how he's trying to bring himself up like some sort of journeyman rapper workin his ass off to improve his craft, with no time and money etc... It doesn't make sense to put out half-finished shit like this if you're really struggling. We've seen what true struggles can create in stuff like Illmatic, 36 chambers, infamous etc....He's gotta realize that putting out so many of these diddle mixtapes makes his best shit shine less. very disappointing.

siddx

kamspy said:
Yeah, I paid $20 for the CD version of Big KRIT Returnof4eva, and it was the same 160kbps mess that was on the .mp3

The real crime here is that such a sonically awesome album will never be properly preserved. Artists need to watch this shit as we enter the digital age, and we, as consumers have to let them know that crap is not acceptable. Send an email, get on twitter. If you paid for it, let him know how you feel. I expressed my concerns directly to KRIT's camp and got a reply. Not sure if it's gonna fix anything, but I know someone read it. Supposedly, there is no better quality version in existence anymore.

Dr.Dre, of all people, had a rant on this a year ago or so, talking about the digital age leaving sound quality suffering.

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
siddx said:
Dr.Dre, of all people, had a rant on this a year ago or so, talking about the digital age leaving sound quality suffering.
That's the artist fault, not the medium. Look on what Trent Reznor has been doing for the past couple of years. Releasing quality sounding music in all formats. Look at what he did on the Nine Inch Nails Live - Beside You in Time, Blu-Ray in 2007. It's one of the best sounding Blu-Ray's out there. The Bitrate is crazy high on the Blu-Ray. Artist, are to lazy. They don't get quality engineers for their shit. The Goblin album is a good example of this, some tracks are too low at times.

Detox

It would be awesome if classics were re-released in super high quality maybe on blu-ray with some extra behind the scenes footage to fill the space that is left over. I'm sure we will get a 20th anniversary edition of The Chronic next year and Dre should put his money where his mouth is and release it on blu-ray, those strings will sound amazing.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Detox said:
It would be awesome if classics were re-released in super high quality maybe on blu-ray with some extra behind the scenes footage to fill the space that is left over. I'm sure we will get a 20th anniversary edition of The Chronic next year and Dre should put his money where his mouth is and release it on blu-ray, those strings will sound amazing.

Complete with a Chronic 20th anniversary edition of BEATS!

siddx

BlackBeltBambi said:
That's the artist fault, not the medium. Look on what Trent Reznor has been doing for the past couple of years. Releasing quality sounding music in all formats. Look at what he did on the Nine Inch Nails Live - Beside You in Time, Blu-Ray in 2007. It's one of the best sounding Blu-Ray's out there. The Bitrate is crazy high on the Blu-Ray. Artist, are to lazy. They don't get quality engineers for their shit. The Goblin album is a good example of this, some tracks are too low at times.

Trent Reznor is also richer than god and can afford to do all that. These rappers making 80 bucks a show without a record deal can't exactly afford that.

But regardless, if your fans get your shit even when it's 160KB, why bother paying extra money for a good engineer? Not saying that's the right attitude to have, but if you are trying to make a living in a business that collapsed yeas ago, your going to cut corners whenever you can. Also there seems to be a lack of good engineers these days. They are out there of course, but there are way too many guys sitting behind their computers charging 500 bucks to run it through some basic filters and move on. I've been burned twice by studios that looked high quality and professional but were staffed by idiots who didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

dskillzhtown

siddx said:
Trent Reznor is also richer than god and can afford to do all that. These rappers making 80 bucks a show without a record deal can't exactly afford that.

But regardless, if your fans get your shit even when it's 160KB, why bother paying extra money for a good engineer? Not saying that's the right attitude to have, but if you are trying to make a living in a business that collapsed yeas ago, your going to cut corners whenever you can. Also there seems to be a lack of good engineers these days. They are out there of course, but there are way too many guys sitting behind their computers charging 500 bucks to run it through some basic filters and move on. I've been burned twice by studios that looked high quality and professional but were staffed by idiots who didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

You hit on the issue early on in your post. Artists can't afford it and most of their fans don't give a damn about 160kb vs 320kb or FLAC. They buy the CD, pump it in their car, rip it in iTunes at 192kb, listen to the jams on their iPhone with the factory earbuds. I am talking about the vast majority, not everyone, of course. Most fans just do care.

I think they care less when the majority of their music they get free in mixtapes. If I am not dropping one dime for music ever, I am not going to complain about the quality.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EschatonDX said:
Man I love Blu but I think he's been making some 2nd rate production/mixing choices lately. I don't really like him w/FlyLo or Madlib, to be honest. Imagine dude with a dj premier, just blaze, or pete rock.... @_@

Doesn't help that he's a second rate rapper. Production is his crutch and his songs are meh without good production, he ends up visibly struggling on tracks.

Esch

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Doesn't help that he's a second rate rapper. Production is his crutch and his songs are meh without good production, he ends up visibly struggling on tracks.

i've never seen someone describe kanye to a t in so few words

dskillzhtown

Bought Killer Mike off Amazon this morning. I am loving this album. Rap songs that sound good that actually are saying something. I wish I could get used to this.

You should atleast give it a listen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EschatonDX said:
i've never seen someone describe kanye to a t in so few words
Oh shit. haha.

Sucks though the amount of good production Kanye gets (nearly all his songs) is the inverse of the amount Blu gets.

kamspy

dskillzhtown said:
Bought Killer Mike off Amazon this morning. I am loving this album. Rap songs that sound good that actually are saying something. I wish I could get used to this.

You should atleast give it a listen.

already on top of it.

MCbxx.png

kamspy

Wow. This Killer Mike finally lives up to his potential. Early feel is a rock solid 4.5/5.

He kinda reminds me of southern Ice Cube. Voice, ease of delivery, content, etc.

Never forget:

Player I grind, my focus is crime
Raw with the rhyme, I'm slick with the slime
My words are diamonds dug out a mine
Spit 'em, polish, look how they shine
Glitter, glisten, gloss, floss
I catch a beat runnin like Randy Moss
Ride dat bitch off like a brand new horse
I'm rollin my stone, gatherin no moss
Mami I'm comin I hope you get off
Or rock your own boat like Aaliyah then talk
Back, back, forth, forth