• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Oooh. Look at HRD everyone. He's so different and hipster.

Its not different or hipster, a lot of people realize tyler is one of the weakest out of oddfuture. Frank Ocean,Mellowhype>Tyler

I wouldn't say that Tyler is one of the weakest but there are definitely more acts in OFWGKTA that are better.

As someone previously said, Tyler can be seen as the "gateway" drug of OFWGKTA. Through him you get into the other acts.

Recon

Banned
spindashing said:
I wouldn't say that Tyler is one of the weakest but there are definitely more acts in OFWGKTA that are better.

As someone previously said, Tyler can be seen as the "gateway" drug of OFWGKTA. Through him you get into the other acts.

Well, considering the main acts are Mellowhype, Frank Ocean, Earl, and Tyler, Tyler is at the bottom of those.

Edit: Im not saying i dislike Tyler, i really like him. I just dont understand the huge hype about Goblin, its competent but could be better. Odd Future has some really solid talent.

kamspy

Damn. 2011 GAF Hipster HOP | Look at our unique and different peacock feathers.

Mellowhype is pretty good, but they don't hold a candle to anything in Tyler's catalog. Post a track that proves otherwise, Until then, take Splatter, French, Bastard, Yonkers, Tron Cat, Transylvania, etc. That should give you guys a good head start. Find me some MH songs that are better then those.

Recon is salty because Tyler took Eminem's seat at the hip hop table of relevancy. :(

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Damn. 2011 GAF Hipster HOP | Look at our unique and different peacock feathers.

Mellowhype is pretty good, but they don't hold a candle to anything in Tyler's catalog. Post a track that proves otherwise, Until then, take Splatter, French, Bastard, Yonkers, Tron Cat, Transylvania, etc. That should give you guys a good head start. Find me some MH songs that are better then those.

Recon is salty because Tyler took Eminem's seat at the hip hop table of relevancy. :(

Lol, you could of tried a bit better to troll me. That was pretty weak.

I would go as far as to say if there was no Tyler, OFWGKTA wouldn't be as "big" as they are right now. He has a certain bravado/charisma to him that's irreplaceable in the group as its leader. He's neck-at-neck with Earl in terms of rapping ability (I'd wager Earl is the better wordsmith), and I don't know how people prefer Mellowhype over all other OFWGKTA projects; maybe I should re-listen.

For some reason, I don't vibe well with Frank Ocean. The Weeknd > Frank Ocean, but that's another story.

Sidenote: I'm really interested in The Jet Age of Tomorrow. I should check that OFWGKTA project out.

EschatonDX said:
earl's better too, in fact i'd prefer for him to separate himself from all OF crap and just work on his own.

I listened to Earl and the beats were all OFWGTKA type beats, but the kid seems to be a real spitter, easily better than Tyler.

And after listening to Bastard after Goblin, I'd say Bastard was better than Goblin in production and songs, while Goblin had the better theme.

I'm going to check out Mellowhype's two releases.

The people's champ is back....
3wTnQ.jpg

kamspy

Shinobi - wassuper?

rest of yall idiots - I want links to better songs from MH then the Tyler songs I posted. Start with Splatter and French.

Recon - lol. Tyler doesn't have Jimmy Iovine buying him hairplugs and botox. GTFO.

Pinko, I think, is back with the army. If you're ready this buddy SALUTE!

Esch

Banned
holy shit new oddisee dropped? getting now, i am a bum

BTW kamspy i hate when people make the argument of "NAME 3 BETTER SONGS THAN _ _ _"...... It's not an argument at all, it's list making and it's not very convincing on either side

kamspy said:
Shinobi - wassuper?

rest of yall idiots - I want links to better songs from MH then the Tyler songs I posted. Start with Splatter and French.

Recon - lol. Tyler doesn't have Jimmy Iovine buying him hairplugs and botox. GTFO.

Pinko, I think, is back with the army. If you're ready this buddy SALUTE!
Damn, lol.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
BTW kamspy i hate when people make the argument of "NAME 3 BETTER SONGS THAN _ _ _"...... It's not an argument at all, it's list making and it's not very convincing on either side

Well, I'm not dead serious, and just trying to get a dialog going.

Honestly, if there are MH songs in the same league as the Tyler songs I posted, I want to know about them. Only one I can think of is Fuck the Police.

Gamer98

Banned
kamspy said:

Honestly, if there are MH songs in the same league as the Tyler songs I posted, I want to know about them. Only one I can think of is Fuck the Police.

AH man LMAO

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

Can i get a clarification on you trying to troll me using Eminem? Im seriously confused on that one. Is it because im white and you assumed i think Em is the greatest because of that?

TheOddOne

Head ups: everybody's favorite crackhead and Keith Murray's Underdogs collab album has leaked.

Also, not feeling that Mayback mixtape/album.

RJT

Cage - Hell's Winter. Why the fuck isn't this album considered a classic? Production, lyrics, theme... The album is brilliant any way you look at it. One of the most underrated albums ever.

Do yourself a favour and (re)listen to it.

JEKKI

CunninLynguist live show are tiiiiight!! awesome stage presence, crowd control, and the members have a lot of great chemistry with each other and look like they're having a real great time.

with that attitude it's like dang no wonder their music is so good.

I am so glad that I can now take them off my list of artists I haven't seen live yet!!

overcast said:
Listening to Dessa. A Badly Broken Code is really damn good. Don't know how I didn't listen to this in the past year.
I was listening to some Floetry lately.

similar to Dessa, but way better imo. You should definitely check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s716EpraBB4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCCGIXME164

RJT said:
Cage - Hell's Winter. Why the fuck isn't this album considered a classic? Production, lyrics, theme... The album is brilliant any way you look at it. One of the most underrated albums ever.

Do yourself a favour and (re)listen to it.
Cage's Hell's Winter is the best medium inbetween his first and third albums. He doesn't go too "emo" like his third and he keeps the some of the grittiness of his first.

Just don't get Depart From Me. Don't do it.

RJT

spindashing said:
Cage's Hell's Winter is the best medium inbetween his first and third albums. He doesn't go too "emo" like his third and he keeps the some of the grittiness of his first.

Just don't get Depart From Me. Don't do it.
I was going to give it a shot...

Kyzer said:
So since I'm new here...where are you guys from? And what do you guys think of Wale?

Hollis, Queens.
rundmc.jpg

I think Wale's a good rapper. I loved Back to the Feature, A Mixtape About Nothing and More About Nothing. While his debut album left things to be desired, it's alright in its own right when you don't compare it to his mixtapes.

The M.O.B said:
Common – Ghetto Dreams f. Nas (prod. No I.D.) - SNIPPET
I CAME. ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD HOLY SHIT

Esch

Banned
man releasing a snippet of a single is like worse than a teaser trailer for a game ESPECIALLY if it looks good. hnnnnngghhhhh

kamspy

The M.O.B said:

I was having this conversation. I forget where. Might have been here on GAF HOP. Do you guys ever feel like you've had your fill of an artist? I think Common falls into that category from me. The snippet sounded good. Nice flow, good beat. I didn't like the 1998 Cassette Tape filter going on, but it's a solid track. Still, I have no hype for a Common album. There were a couple other good examples of artists I felt this way about too, but I can't think of who they are right now. Oh, Raekwon. He still makes good music, but I feel like my thirst for new Rae music has been sated. I've had Shao vs Wu in my Rhapsody since it came out and hardly listen to it.

Anyone feel this way about certain artists? It's not a knock on the new stuff they're doing, just a general burn out altogether.

Kyzer said:
So since I'm new here...where are you guys from? And what do you guys think of Wale?

Made in Russia. Grown on a boat. Born in the Bronx. Lived in Cincinnati since I was 3. I think Wale is cool as fuck. Only thing I don't like of his is the mixtape he did after the album. 600 Benz is one of the best thumper songs this year.

Originally from the Boogie Down. Probably one of the oldest in this thread.

Cage and El P are a great combo. Cage's Movies For the Blind, Hell's Winter and the Weathermen were my joints in the early 2000s.

And theOddOne mentioned it, but no feedback on the Keith Murray/Cannibus, Jadakiss or Big L joints?

Kyzer said:
Born in Houston...recently moved to TN couple of years ago.

I like Wale. I thought his debut album was pretty decent, there are some songs on it I come back to.

kamspy

If Kieth Murray x Bis makes it to Rhapsody I'll talk shit about it. But I'm so unpumped I'm not even gonna bother digging up the link.

Are the songs on YouTube? Streaming anywhere?

I really like Kieth. Why he teamed up with bitch is beyond me.

What's the new Jada you mentioned?

jadakiss_rapradar_cover.jpg

1. Intro
2. Hold You Down feat. Emanny
3. Lil Bruh
4. How I Feel
5. Rock Wit Me feat. Teyana Taylor
6. In The Streets
7. Lay Em Down feat. Styles P & Chynk Show
8. Toast (Intro)
9. Toast To That feat. Fred The Godson
10. Inkredible Remix feat. Trae Tha Truth & Rick Ross
11. Gone Too Long

Download Link

The mixtape got leaked early lol

Kyzer

Banned
True. Looks like we got some real niggas in this thread. (STFU you know what I mean.)

The reason I ask about Wale is I'm from the same little town in MD as him. Well. At least I moved there in 7th grade. I grew up in the way worse parts of town than he did.

I actually am really close friends with his cousin, who attends UMD.

I didn't even know they were related until earlier this year when I showed him I was trying to be a rapper and he kind of just sprung up the fact. Like yo, you know I'm Wale's cousin right? I'm gonna show him your stuff when you finish your mixtape.

My mind was blown.

needless to say.

Well, did he like your stuff?

And I think Wale has potential. I thought his debut was aiight. I'm looking to see how well he meshes with Rick Ross on that tape.

And these are the Earl joints I've been bumping:

Ass Milk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOU6dooqxo

Pigeons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpsQI6iRx-s

Stapleton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xlbauTpOA

And I didn't know Common had a new joint dropping. If it's solely No I.D. and Kanye West then it'll be another classic or near (like Resurrection, One Day It'll Make Sens, BE or Finding Forever). Except for that Universal Mind Control and Electric Circus, his discography is on point. Only Ghost, Outkast or Scarface are as consistent.

DominoKid

Kyzer said:

NC.

I go back and forth on Wale cause he makes some questionable decisions but after the MMG album I like Wale again.

Esch

Banned
Kyzer said:

Saint Louis.

I'm in the "mixtapes were good and fresh but debut was lacking" camp. I hope he does better with a sophomore effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom