• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
...Well to be honest I was lying about Toro Y Moi, I forgot how much I used to listen to him back when he was still making prototypical chillwave music...But then the genre got so watered down that I avoided listening to it much...And before long I forgot I even had it.

@ Siddx maybe my tastes are really changing for the worse. I've been listening to so much jazz and folk music lately LOL

The jazz I can get with (unless its that aimless bullshit that just sounds like a bunch of heroin addicts playing around with instruments while out of their mind high.)
But folk music...man, don't make us take your hiphopgaf card away.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
kamspy said:
Battle rap is cool as hell when it stays on the stage and off the CDs.

I'm still listening to OF. Never really got into the older tapes until now. Still don't get the rampant love. I don't want to come off like I think he's bad, he's just not touching Tyler, Earl, Mike G or even rapping Frank Ocean. Honestly I put Hodgy and Domo on the same level. The Radical mixtape has some great songs. For some reason I always just ignored it. Splatter might be Tyler's best 'just spittin' song. Earl also owns Rich Boys Drop beat on that tape better than anyone else I've heard.

Really refreshing collective.
Come on now, Mike G has never spit a verse better than Hodgy, and they've done tracks together. And Domo is just ass. Wtf is wrong with you?
mileS said:
Lots of people say this but its just how it evolved.
If you call that evolution, I want off of this planet.

mileS

K.Jack said:
If you call that evolution, I want off of this planet.

seriously? what kind of reply is this? Do I have to link you the dictionary definition or are you just an asshole trying to call me out for no reason?

siddx

WanderingWind said:
...Everlast?

Gotta be honest, I can't stand folk music everlast, I'm glad he returned to straight up hip hop on that La Coka Nostra album.

speaking of ill bill, anyone get that Heavy Metal Kings album by him and Vinnie Paz? I seem to remember some talk about it. How was it? Ill Bill is so hit or miss for me and I'm not a big Paz fan but when Bill is on, he is fucking fire.

HiResDes said:
I'm talking about Freak Folk

lol wtf is freak folk?

siddx

mileS said:
seriously? what kind of reply is this? Do I have to link you the dictionary definition or are you just an asshole trying to call me out for no reason?

It's K.Jack, he's like the lifelong benchwarmer of teamhiphop.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Gotta be honest, I can't stand folk music everlast, I'm glad he returned to straight up hip hop on that La Coka Nostra album.

speaking of ill bill, anyone get that Heavy Metal Kings album by him and Vinnie Paz? I seem to remember some talk about it. How was it? Ill Bill is so hit or miss for me and I'm not a big Paz fan but when Bill is on, he is fucking fire.

lol wtf is freak folk?

I didn't get it but none of the tracks I've heard, especially production wise, were doing it for me. If you're in the mood for some Ill Bill though, I really enjoyed last years Kill Devil Hills with DJ Muggs. Great production throughout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWyBw5nm4s

Everlast feature too!

siddx

Yeah I though that Devil Hills album was alright.
I was still high off of Hour Of Reprisal, which I thought was genius, so I didn't get into Devil Hills as much as I probably should have.

HiResDes

Freak folk draws from traditional folk music and uses mainly acoustic instrumentation, but introduces elements of avant-garde music, baroque pop and psychedelic folk, often featuring uncommon sounds, themes, and vocal styles.

IrishNinja

FEELIN ME SOME FREAK FOLK

siddx said:

awesome, im down for some real horrorcore shit.

Detox said:
Fucking RZA go make a album with the OG Wu members.

again, ive granted myself the RZA-stan crown of this thread, and frankly, if his mind's not there, i dont want him on it. if shaolin vs wu-tang didnt wake him up, let him keep making kung-fu flicks in china and writing books, cause im sure both are more enjoyable than another half-hearted 8 diagrams.

CRS

HiResDes said:
Freak folk draws from traditional folk music and uses mainly acoustic instrumentation, but introduces elements of avant-garde music, baroque pop and psychedelic folk, often featuring uncommon sounds, themes, and vocal styles.
Ahh okay. Man, so many artists, old and new, I still haven't listened to. Hopefully I'll get around to it sometime soon.

IrishNinja

like 3 of us on this page, anyway? why ya'll got me on ignore and shit

speaking of: yeah, an update of any kind on Liquid Swords 2 would be really nice.

Acid08

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Keep telling yourself it will be even half as good as LQ1 or that it will even actually happen.
FUCK YOU MAN I NEED THIS.

GZA will probably just record himself farting into a microphone.

Cedric

I don't understand how anyone could be hyped for Liquid Swords 2, GZA is an old man far past his prime. His last album was boring as fuck and that Paper Plates diss was a snooze-fest. He might still have some dope lyrics but his flow and voice are so monotone and not in a good way (see Guru).

edit: You know what, I think he's currently the worst member of the Wu... Probably tied with INS, funny how the tables have turned.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
The jazz I can get with (unless its that aimless bullshit that just sounds like a bunch of heroin addicts playing around with instruments while out of their mind high.)
But folk music...man, don't make us take your hiphopgaf card away.
so basically Blu?

i kid, i kid

IrishNinja

catchin' feelings on this page, fam. dont be squashing my wu-dreams here: some of ya'll are too big for me to be throwing off buildings, but please believe, i will trip you.

siddx

Goddamn, sometimes wiki leads me to the most interesting shit.

I had no idea that before Alchemist produced (and before he was called Alchemist) he went by Mudfoot and was in a group with Scott Caan (the actor, he was in Ocean's 11, son of James Caan). The group was called The Whooliganz, and were briefly part of the Soul Assassins Collective. They released one album before splitting up.

Their first single

Also just read that the dude who shot 50 cent 9 times was a close friend and bodyguard of Mike Tyson. Don't know if thats true or complete bullshit.

overcast

siddx said:

I had no idea that before Alchemist produced (and before he was called Alchemist) he went by Mudfoot and was in a group with Scott Caan (the actor, he was in Ocean's 11, son of James Caan). The group was called The Whooliganz, and were briefly part of the Soul Assassins Collective. They released one album before splitting up.

Their first single
Wikipedia is incredible.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:

Their first single

Also just read that the dude who shot 50 cent 9 times was a close friend and bodyguard of Mike Tyson. Don't know if thats true or complete bullshit.

Didn't the album get shelved too? ALC looked so young here. Probably sitll in high school here. He went to NYU around 97 right? Thats how he ended up linking with NYC cats and meeting Prodigy etc. I wonder if they're all still friends? I know Evidence has talked about reading lines with DiCaprio before

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Didn't the album get shelved too? ALC looked so young here. Probably sitll in high school here. He went to NYU around 97 right? Thats how he ended up linking with NYC cats and meeting Prodigy etc. I wonder if they're all still friends? I know Evidence has talked about reading lines with DiCaprio before

Wiki says he got hooked up with Mobb Deep through DJ Muggs. Muggs took alc under his wing seeing a talent for making beats, and then introduced him to Prodigy who was so impressed with his production he had him produce on every album after that.

TheOddOne

siddx said:
Wiki says he got hooked up with Mobb Deep through DJ Muggs. Muggs took alc under his wing seeing a talent for making beats, and then introduced him to Prodigy who was so impressed with his production he had him produce on every album after that.
Prodigy use to think Alc was a fed. True story.

Detox

m3k said:
i dunno if i put that down to just a funny story or prodigy being stupid
vpf6y.png

IrishNinja

just got back from voting Uncle Luke for miami mayor. feels good, man.

fuck it: i had a provisional job offer from metro dade fire dept a few years back, and then the state froze the funding - less than a year after my medic internship with them, where we learned the county had a 3+ year surplus...but FL is saying that damn near doubling property tax in the last decade or so wasn't enough? some shady shit going down, and frankly, any dude with that many big-booty-ho's pay-per-view specials can a) fundraise like a motherfucker and b) has his priorities straight.

if/when he loses, i'm gonna blame his lack of a verse on classic tracks like "can a n*gga get a table dance" cause that was just lazy.

Esch

Banned
yeah, so i just nabbed XV- no heroes. not bad. I like dude, he has a good synergy with seven and i'm partial to hip hop from the midbest(represent) so it's nice to see someone with actual talent come out of somewhere besides detroit and actually get some rec for it.

PBY

Banned
IrishNinja said:
just got back from voting Uncle Luke for miami mayor. feels good, man.

fuck it: i had a provisional job offer from metro dade fire dept a few years back, and then the state froze the funding - less than a year after my medic internship with them, where we learned the county had a 3+ year surplus...but FL is saying that damn near doubling property tax in the last decade or so wasn't enough? some shady shit going down, and frankly, any dude with that many big-booty-ho's pay-per-view specials can a) fundraise like a motherfucker and b) has his priorities straight.

if/when he loses, i'm gonna blame his lack of a verse on classic tracks like "can a n*gga get a table dance" cause that was just lazy.
I should go vote- but I prob won't, too lazy...

edit: what does gaf hop think of this guy, btw:
http://flavela.com/?p=7799

I knew about him before the Pharell cosign- my mom's secretary at work is related to him. Apparently he's rich as fuck. He didn't go to college, his dad just built him an incredible studio at home. Hes okay, but he managed to make Wiz softer. My gf is visiting during his release party, so well prob check it out.

DominoKid

insight into the mind of Wale on 106&Park

maybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-3-570x458.jpg

"Guys, I'm here too! Make sure you get me in the picture."

maybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-1.jpg

"Look at this nigga Pill. Why Ross dont hug me in public???"

maybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-2-570x440.jpg

"Yeah! I'm in the group! Let me try and look hard right now."

maybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-4-570x527.jpg

Ross: "Heh heh heh. Where Wale? Oh yeah. I ate him. BAWSE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.