• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Holy SHIT. That lineup!! How much do these tickets generally go for? Cause I am in socal, would love to go to that as my first concert.

CRS

Paid Dues was like 60 bucks, if I remember correctly, which was a fucking steal. I would expect these to be around 100 bucks which I don't care. Only thing stopping me from going is going to be God himself.

IrishNinja

ChldRebelSoldr said:
The southeast always gets fucked on tours though.

thing is, we got rock the bell for several years (though PE/rage/Doom/Roots etc would never show down here), i think i kinda assumed it was a given till last year when it didnt go down.

overcast

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Paid Dues was like 60 bucks, if I remember correctly, which was a fucking steal. I would expect these to be around 100 bucks which I don't care. Only thing stopping me from going is going to be God himself.
100 isn't that bad. I need to see if my mother (grad present) can help me pay for it. Doubt it though :\

CRS

Boost Mobile in Association with GUERILLA UNION
Presents
ROCK THE BELLS 2011 FESTIVAL SERIES
Powered by BlackBerry
Heads to Four Major North American Cities, Featuring Three Main Stages
Confirmed Headliners Performing Full Album Sets Include
Ms. Lauryn Hill, Nas, Cypress Hill, Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star, Raekwon & Ghostface and more
Guerilla Union Announce Title Sponsorship with Boost Mobile;
Team with House of Blues for Intimate Club Tour
GU Pre-sale Starts June 3; General On-sale Starts June 4
The line-up for the ROCK THE BELLS 2011 FESTIVAL SERIES–presented by Boost Mobile in association with GUERILLA UNION and powered by BlackBerry–will feature an array of seminal and up-and-coming hip-hop artists on three stages. Headliners include Ms. Lauryn Hill, Nas, Erykah Badu and Cypress Hill. See the current line-up below and look for more performers to be announced soon.
This year’s festival will head to four major North American markets. Kicking off in the Los Angeles-area on August 20 at the San Manuel Amphitheater, ROCK THE BELLS will then head to San Francisco on August 27 at Shoreline Amphitheatre. The festival moves to the east coast for a show in New York on September 3 at Governor’s Island (co-promoted with Bowery Presents, Highline, Mad Dog Presents) before wrapping in Boston on September 10.
ROCK THE BELLS featured a number of headliners performing their most influential albums in their entirety for the first time in the history of hip-hop entertainment last summer. The tradition continues this year with Ms. Lauryn Hill performing her landmark, multi-platinum selling, multi-GRAMMY winning album The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill and Nas performing his breakthrough debut album Illmatic with special guests AZ, Pete Rock and DJ Premier. Nas says about performing Illmatic this summer, “For years people have been asking me to do Illmatic in so many ways, from stage plays to movies to books, but the time wasn’t right. Where music is going now, the time is right. This will be my biggest production and it only makes sense to do it on the best rap tour which also happens to be a brand I’ve built and am a partner in. Can’t wait to kill it with my comrades AZ, Premo & Pete Rock!”
Full album sets can also be expected from: Cypress Hill performing their 1993 multi-platinum album Black Sunday, featuring modern rock radio mainstay “Insane In The Membrane”; Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star performing their 1998 self-titled debut album; Raekwon & Ghostface teaming up for critically acclaimed, platinum selling Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and more.
“I am excited that this year’s Rock The Bells will continue its rich history and tradition by presenting the best and most ambitious festival programming in Hip Hop,” says festival co-founder and Guerilla Union head Chang Weisberg. “The bar has been set high and this year’s line-up will certainly stake its claim. With ten of the biggest records in the history of the genre and the freshest new talent bubbling from the underground, this summer’s Rock The Bells is another dream come true.”
ROCK THE BELLS will feature three main stages this year. The two returning stages are the ROCK THE BELLS STAGE and the PAID DUES STAGE, which will feature independent hip-hop acts that performed at the Paid Dues Festival this past April in San Bernardino and new artists-on-the-rise. Paid Dues Festival creator Murs says, “I am excited that I once again have the privilege of hosting the Paid Dues Stage. We will have the honor of showcasing some of the best talent in independent hip hop as part of the worlds largest and longest running hip hop festival… the Paid Dues stage is gonna be the one to watch this year.”
The 36 CHAMBERS STAGE is a new addition to the festival and will primarily feature members of the Wu-Tang Clan as well as artists selected by stage curator and Wu-Tang Clan mainstay RZA. A fourth stage that will also be added to most markets is the GRINDTIME NOW STAGE, which will feature battle-style performances.
Guerilla Union, the live events company behind world-class platforms including Cypress Hill SmokeOut Festival and Paid Dues Independent Hip-Hop Festival, has teamed up with a new title sponsor Boost Mobile for the eighth annual installment of ROCK THE BELLS.
“Boost Mobile has a strong history in the music community and being part of such a well-established festival further enhances that commitment,” said Steve Gaffney, vice president-Corporate Marketing, Boost Mobile. “With our handset partner BlackBerry, we look forward to bringing the sponsorship to life and giving festival attendees an experience to remember.”
In addition to the festival dates, Guerilla Union has teamed with new strategic partner House of Blues/Live Nation for an intimate ROCK THE BELLS club tour featuring select ROCK THE BELLS artists on dates surrounding the festival shows. Look for more information on the confirmed artists and routing for the ROCK THE BELLS club tour shortly.
Venues, dates and the lineup for the ROCK THE BELLS tour were announced at the ROCK THE BELLS 2010 LAUNCH PARTY on May 24 at the House of Blues Sunset in West Hollywood, CA. For the fourth year in a row, freestyle champion MC Supernatural freestyled the lineup to the media. Artists in attendance at the press conference and launch party include co-host RZA, Cypress Hill, Havoc (Mobb Deep), Souls of Mischief, Blu & Exile and Evidence.

36 Chambers Stage?! So much hype. Like seriously, so much hype right now. I really hope the schedule isn't too fucked up. Someone have a clone machine?

I think I'm gonna try and go to both the San Francisco and LA dates. I need to concentrate and finish my finals. This did not help.

m3k

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Rock the Bells 2011
B3c5n.png

Oh my. Oh. FUCKING. My.

Los Angeles - August 20 San Manuel Amphitheater
San Francisco - August 27 Shoreline Amphitheater
New York- September 3 Governor's Island
Boston - September 10 TBA

I'm freaking out about this. This line-up is INSANE.

my face screwed up as soon as i hit the second line

i live in the wrong country :(

Acid08

Banned
ChldRebelSoldr said:
Rock the Bells 2011
B3c5n.png

Oh my. Oh. FUCKING. My.

Fuck yeah, SF show.

CRS

Yep. The artists with albums under their names means they will be performing that album in it's entirety.

It occurred to me, the guests are also there to perform these two Mobb Deep songs. It's ridiculous.

I hope they do the skits too. I know it's really unlikely but I a guy can hope, right?

overcast

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Yep. The artists with albums under their names means they will be performing that album in it's entirety.

It occurred to me, the guests are also there to perform these two Mobb Deep songs. It's ridiculous.

I hope they do the skits too. I know it's really unlikely but I a guy can hope, right?
How long is Rock tha Bells? As in how many hours? How many stages? Should we expect any more megatons as far as other rappers being there?

GrapeApes

I hate that there are only 4 dates and 2 are in Cali. What about places like DC? Also they keep pushing this away from summer. I'm sure lots of people would prefer July over September.

CRS

overcast said:
How long is Rock tha Bells? As in how many hours? How many stages? Should we expect any more megatons as far as other rappers being there?
10 AM to 10 PM. 4 stages. Rock the Bells stage. Paid Dues stage. 36 Chambers stage(!). Grindtime Now Stage. More rappers are expected to be announced. Not sure if they can drop any more megatons though at this point. Some rappers aren't gonna be at all locations though. The ones with asterisks next to their name are location dependent.

Edit: The time was for the pre-sale. My bad.

overcast

ChldRebelSoldr said:
10 AM to 10 PM. 4 stages. Rock the Bells stage. Paid Dues stage. 36 Chambers stage(!). Grindtime Now Stage. More rappers are expected to be announced. Not sure if they can drop any more megatons though at this point. Some rappers aren't gonna be at all locations though. The ones with asterisks next to their name are location dependent.

Edit: The time was for the pre-sale. My bad.
How the hell would I get pulled away from that 36 chambers stage?!?! I really want to see Blu, Krit, currensy, and gambino as far as recent acts go. Shit, they are doing Infamous... FUCK.

Ashhong

ChldRebelSoldr said:

hahahahaha ARE YOU SERIOUS? I am there. So there. I'm like, already there and waiting. This is going to be awesome. Please J Cole, come and make my experience complete.

overcast

Ashhong said:
hahahahaha ARE YOU SERIOUS? I am there. So there. I'm like, already there and waiting. This is going to be awesome. Please J Cole, come and make my experience complete.
If J. Cole were to go, I wouldn't miss it even if the ticket was an extra 50. Need to see him in concert.

CRS

In addition to the festival dates, Guerilla Union has teamed with new strategic partner House of Blues/Live Nation for an intimate ROCK THE BELLS club tour featuring select ROCK THE BELLS artists on dates surrounding the festival shows. Look for more information on the confirmed artists and routing for the ROCK THE BELLS club tour shortly.
Can't believe I missed this part. Need to start saving up money.

Ashhong

overcast said:
If J. Cole were to go, I wouldn't miss it even if the ticket was an extra 50. Need to see him in concert.

It's such a no brainer for him to promote at Rock The Bells. Speaking of, didn't he say he would be in full promo mode starting this week? I was expecting the first single and all that.

overcast

Ashhong said:
It's such a no brainer for him to promote at Rock The Bells. Speaking of, didn't he say he would be in full promo mode starting this week? I was expecting the first single and all that.
I thought in Return of Simba he was basically saying watch out for this summer.

IrishNinja

overcast said:
Should we expect any more megatons as far as other rappers being there?

depends on what you consider "megaton", when i went a few years back, they did this badass native tongue thing since tribe, blackstar, pharcyde and de la were going, and black sheep just showed up outta nowhere, i was so happy.

it was like on jay-z's hard knock tour when "gimme some mo" was on and busta showed up outta fuckin' nowhere.

RPS37 said:
kR6nX.jpg

DatPiff link

The reason that I even know about this dude.

(I really gotta learn a way to pitch artists/tapes to you guys. Umm...Vegas Wiz Khalifa? lmao)
Thats wiz all day. That's his back up clone. On the reals, homeboy has to know he looks like wiz, or is stealing his swag. Shit like this gets me mad, dude knows he is stealing Wiz, style. Fuck that, I hate the dude already. Puffy beat biting motherfucker, fuck him. I'm not downloading this clone ass bullshit, fuck him. What happen to be you? This shit wouldn't fly back then, stealing swag and shit. I bet, this mark ass trick blames the white man for his hard times in life like is a spike lee joint in 89.

Why blame the white man? blame yo self son! You swag stealing motherfucker. Go to school, be a doctor, not a rapper. I don't want to see this Judas motherfucker again. Fuck him, I hope he learns from this and ends up in Welfare and cries why he got a ghetto baby mommy on the Maury show and gets hit with the Maury flow. Enjoy your section 8 raps, fool. You ain't going no where like Kid sister. At least I'll pay for that Kid Sister pussy, I know when you put them panties down it smells like Downy, or better...Snuggles. Nice and fresh. Conway always gets the good buns...Unlike this wiz clone....Go to school! Say no to Drugs! Don't support swagger jackers, GAF! Don't.

N4Us

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Sorry for the semi-brag, but that doesn't even come close to the lineup when I went in '07:
rock-the-bells-2007.jpg

Ugh that parking lot in SF sucked. All I remember was cement and dirt.

LOZLINK

In regards to the 07 RTB, I'd personally much rather go to the 2011 one. A lot of the artists on the 07 list don't appeal to me.

MMaRsu

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Rock the Bells 2011
B3c5n.png

Oh my. Oh. FUCKING. My.

Jesus

get me to the US ffs :(

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ChldRebelSoldr said:
Rock the Bells 2011
B3c5n.png

Oh my. Oh. FUCKING. My.

In 1994 this would have been insane

Detox

PhoenixDark said:
Nas with Premo, AZ, and Pete Rock? Holy fucking shit. Holy shit. There's no way they don't get him into a studio.
They need to kidnap Nas after this and lock him in the studio.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
How the hell did Lauren Hill get top billing?

She isn't going to show up until 4 hours after the show is over and be as high as a kite when she performs.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
dskillzhtown said:
How the hell did Lauren Hill get top billing?

She isn't going to show up until 4 hours after the show is over and be as high as a kite when she performs.

I love how they listed their best albums lol

IrishNinja

Blackace said:
I love how they listed their best albums lol

if its anything like the years prior, those are the albums they're primarily going to perform off. Snoop did Doggystyle last year, Nas did illmatic + most of his best set few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom