• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawt

Dude, Wale...One is not like the other. lol.

&I'm late to the Frank Ocean talk, but have you guys listened to the Lonny Breaux Collection? 72 track awesomeness!
album-lonny-breaux-1.jpg

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Whoa, this is my first time hearing/seeing about that Lonny Breaux, preciate it. It'd take me some time to get through 72 tracks, but I'll check it out.

CRS

Apparently, Lonny Breaux was the name he used before. The tracks, album covers, etc. were all collected/created on the Kanye To The forums a while back.
Another cover:
0Ma36.jpg

nns3d

I'll check that out eventually, love Frank Ocean but I still have to get around hearing the other Odd Future guys starting with Earl.

kamspy

IIRC, Frank doesn't endorse any of that material and kinda wishes it didn't exist. I'm still downloading since the links were there just out of curiosity.

Have you guys heard his verse on Window? Man. I hope his album is more OF than DefJam. Acura Integurl is a great start though. I just don't want DefJam to turn it into a checklist.

nns3d

DominoKid said:
insight into the mind of Wale on 106&Park

http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-co...usic-group-visit-106-and-park-2-3-570x458.jpg
"Guys, I'm here too! Make sure you get me in the picture."

http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-co...aybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-1.jpg
"Look at this nigga Pill. Why Ross dont hug me in public???"

http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-co...usic-group-visit-106-and-park-2-2-570x440.jpg
"Yeah! I'm in the group! Let me try and look hard right now."

http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-co...usic-group-visit-106-and-park-2-4-570x527.jpg
Ross: "Heh heh heh. Where Wale? Oh yeah. I ate him. BAWSE!"

tumblr_llpvtf2zRd1qz92zao1_500.jpg

Wale gets no love :(

Have you guys heard his verse on Window? Man. I hope his album is more OF than DefJam. Acura Integurl is a great start though. I just don't want DefJam to turn it into a checklist.

Beat is chill, but I almost forgot about the song because of its length.

CRS

A comment from the KanyeToThe forum is that most of the stuff is pretty different from the stuff on Nostalgia, ULTRA. I haven't gotten around to it yet so take it with a grain of salt.

DominoKid

TheOddOne said:
Am I the only guy laughing at Wale's pants? I'm in tears.

i'm tellin yall, dude is a true DC bamma. that shit is hot there.

the Foams set it off. only place them shoes are hot is DC and NY. everywhere else they sit on shelves until Nike moves the leftover stock to those areas to unload the rest of em.

nns3d

kamspy said:
Attention spans are good to have.

Don't have one unfortunately. :( Also, I youtubed the song and found this...

You say Tyler, the Creator - I say Nickelback!

You say Earl Sweatshirt - I say John Lennon!

You say Hodgy Beats - I say Daughtry!

You say Domo Genesis - I say Train!

You Say R&B - I say CHRISTIAN ROCK!

You say Hip Hop - I say COUNTRY!

You say Horrorcore - I say Church Music!

You say Odd Future - I say Big & Rich!

92% of teenagers have turned to satanic Rap & R&B. If you're part of the 8% that listen to non-violent music, post this message to Odd Future Videos! DONT LET THE SPIRIT OF GOD DIE!!!

Oh youtube comments...

kamspy

You know how some people swear that people are trolling when they say they like Lil B? Or his existence is a meme? Yeah, exactly how I feel about Hawthorn.

CRS

I'm not really a fan of Lil B so not sure how it feels to be on "this side" of the spectrum, but Hawthorne's existence being a meme? Really?

Kyzer

Banned
kamspy said:
You know how some people swear that people are trolling when they say they like Lil B? Or his existence is a meme? Yeah, exactly how I feel about Hawthorn.

I thought Lil B himself was the troll, and that his fans are just like Charlie Sheen followers.

kamspy

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I'm not really a fan of Lil B so not sure how it feels to be on "this side" of the spectrum, but Hawthorne's existence being a meme? Really?

I can appreciate the 70s soul act he does, but if I want to listen to that style music I'll go for some Al Green. From what I've heard he doesn't bring anything new to the table, and in the niche he plays in, the competition is too much. I'm going Al Green every time if I want to hear that style R&B.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Kyzer said:
I thought Lil B himself was the troll, and that his fans are just like Charlie Sheen followers.

Lil B just reminds me that hip hop should be fun.

CRS

Soul is another genre that I have listened very little of. I love it but I just don't know any great soul artists other than the big names like Al Green, Stevie Wonder, etc. Maybe that's why I like Mayer Hawthorne.

hawt

I'm kinda in the same boat as CRS. I've never really listened to anything that fell into the Soul genre and being a dude that pretty much only listens to hip-hop, hearing Mayer Hawthorne is definitely refreshing.

I've also seen the guy live and met him in person. He's a pretty down to earth dude and I appreciate the fact that he took the time to take pictures, sign autographs, talk, etc. with all his fans after his show.

JEKKI

illadelph said:
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6lgnuBAh51qb79dqo1_500.jpg[IMG]

I just listened to this for the first time on the train today......and DAMN. The only Common albums I had heard prior to this in their entirety were Be and Finding Forever. Both of those are on some other shit, but this is on some [I]other[/I] other shit.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_B1Si33TM&feature=related"]Book of Life[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf5S_F_5QOA"]Orange Pineapple Juice[/URL][/QUOTE]listen to One Day It'll All Make Sense and Like Water for Chocolate

Slizz

illadelph said:
Yo somebody answer this question, holy fuck what is the matter with his hands
Can you post wtf you mean plz. I see hands with tats....

EDIT: And Wale has shit-stained jeans...

Slizz

OK I see that lol. Definitely present and intriguing... I dunno? Maybe Ross was bleaching some pussy... But you are right thats odd.... A lot lighter than the color of his actual dome.

EDIT: Has to be the lighting. Hands look normal in this pic:

maybach-music-group-visit-106-and-park-2-3-570x458.jpg

Wale's jeans still shit-stained

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
GrapeApes said:
What's up with Ross' hands in them pictures?

Considering everything about Ross is fake as fuck, it wouldn't surprise me if he's really a fat white dude who dyes his skin and his hands just didn't take the dye as strongly this time around.

overcast

kamspy said:
IIRC, Frank doesn't endorse any of that material and kinda wishes it didn't exist. I'm still downloading since the links were there just out of curiosity.

Yeah just not gonna check it out in that case. I also love Franks part in She. Chorus and verse.

Commons best album is easily Resurrection in my opinion.

IrishNinja

peterb0y said:
I should go vote- but I prob won't, too lazy...

you're MIA, yeah? cmon man, this kinda apathy is how hypemen like Khaled get the key to our freakin' city.

The Rizza said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XocwTxBWj_4C

This is from the same guy who made Enter The Magical Mystery Chambers (Wu-Tang mixed with The Beatles), Tom Caruana. Getting really hyped for this.

fuck yes.

@ Com - i love Ressurection, but yeah, you cant go wrong with Like Water for Chocolate. One Day it'll all make sense, as i recall, he's got a different/more 90s flow, which isnt to say its not a great album, just expect more native tongue than usual. its like going back and hearing Em's invincible for the first time.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Have a soft spot for LWFC, played the hell out of that album, but One Day is a great album. I tend to alternate between LWFC, One Day, and Resurrection as my favorite Common album.

illadelph said:
tumblr_l6lgnuBAh51qb79dqo1_500.jpg

I just listened to this for the first time on the train today......and DAMN. The only Common albums I had heard prior to this in their entirety were Be and Finding Forever. Both of those are on some other shit, but this is on some other other shit.

Book of Life

Orange Pineapple Juice

There are lines on this album that I literally didn't get until like 10 years after I first listened to them, lol. Crazy amounts of wordplay. I somehow stumbled upon an instrumental version of this album as well...No ID's been doing his thing for over 15 years now...

IrishNinja

siddx said:
Considering everything about Ross is fake as fuck, it wouldn't surprise me if he's really a fat white dude who dyes his skin and his hands just didn't take the dye as strongly this time around.

my man.

kams! check your PMs, man.

CRS

Rock the Bells 2011
B3c5n.png

Oh my. Oh. FUCKING. My.

Los Angeles - August 20 San Manuel Amphitheater
San Francisco - August 27 Shoreline Amphitheater
New York- September 3 Governor's Island
Boston - September 10 TBA

I'm freaking out about this. This line-up is INSANE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom