• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

Been listening to Panacea the past few weeks:

pancea-the-scenic-route.jpg

0e9e608ec20f33580b7c71a5f7c579f6_full.jpg

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of them, but I'm loving them. They give off almost a People Under the Stairs vibe, and it's very upbeat. You all should check them out.

Three tracks I really like:

Vandalism

Blue Ice (I love the verse at 2:14)

Pops Said

EDIT: Added links.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
IrishNinja said:
if its anything like the years prior, those are the albums they're primarily going to perform off. Snoop did Doggystyle last year, Nas did illmatic + most of his best set few years back.

Can't front that's pretty dope.. But still seems like walking into the biggest concert from 15 years

CRS

Blackace said:
Can't front that's pretty dope.. But still seems like walking into the biggest concert from 15 years
But there's nothing wrong with that. Gives people, who were too young to see them at the time (like me), a chance to see them live.

TheOddOne

ShinobiFist said:
Thats wiz all day. That's his back up clone. On the reals, homeboy has to know he looks like wiz, or is stealing his swag. Shit like this gets me mad, dude knows he is stealing Wiz, style. Fuck that, I hate the dude already. Puffy beat biting motherfucker, fuck him. I'm not downloading this clone ass bullshit, fuck him. What happen to be you? This shit wouldn't fly back then, stealing swag and shit. I bet, this mark ass trick blames the white man for his hard times in life like is a spike lee joint in 89.

Why blame the white man? blame yo self son! You swag stealing motherfucker. Go to school, be a doctor, not a rapper. I don't want to see this Judas motherfucker again. Fuck him, I hope he learns from this and ends up in Welfare and cries why he got a ghetto baby mommy on the Maury show and gets hit with the Maury flow. Enjoy your section 8 raps, fool. You ain't going no where like Kid sister. At least I'll pay for that Kid Sister pussy, I know when you put them panties down it smells like Downy, or better...Snuggles. Nice and fresh. Conway always gets the good buns...Unlike this wiz clone....Go to school! Say no to Drugs! Don't support swagger jackers, GAF! Don't.
cocaine.gif

Detox

Just listened to Goblin and wasn't too impressed, nothing special on the album. The only two tracks I really liked were Goblin and Steak Sauce everything else sounded like an average rapper trying to be like Eminem. The only problem is he doesn't have the wit or skill of Em, almost everything he says has me thinking oh you're trying to shock me (only some will be shocked personally if it is done well I just laugh) but it doesn't work. The production is good but I usually prioritise lyrics over beats unless it is something special. This is only my first listen but I would give it a 6/10.

Detox said:
Just listened to Goblin and wasn't too impressed, nothing special on the album. The only two tracks I really liked were Goblin and Steak Sauce everything else sounded like an average rapper trying to be like Eminem. The only problem is he doesn't have the wit or skill of Em, almost everything he says has me thinking oh you're trying to shock me (only some will be shocked personally if it is done well I just laugh) but it doesn't work. The production is good but I usually prioritise lyrics over beats unless it is something special. This is only my first listen but I would give it a 6/10.

I felt the same, except this album was also missing the Eminem or Dr. Dre production/supervision. But I'll give the album credit for having a theme, and Tyler's raps are serviceable, etc.

I think Bastard is a better album personally. And after listening to more OFWGKTA, the subject matter/shock value is something that runs through most (not all of the music).

If you haven't heard them, check out Tyler's Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt Earl, Mellowhype Blackenedwhite (yellow white is okay).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn, I wanna go to the Boston one. Lauren is a huge downgrade from Tribe being the headliners at the last rock the bells I went to but the rest of the lineup looks fantastic.

Bread

Banned
hoooly shit at rock the bells. Illmatic is easily my favorite album of all time, so I'm automatically going, but seeing Black Star, Raekwon and Ghostface, and Mobb Deep puts it on another level. Too bad I gotta wait until September.

PBY

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
I felt the same, except this album was also missing the Eminem or Dr. Dre production/supervision. But I'll give the album credit for having a theme, and Tyler's raps are serviceable, etc.

I think Bastard is a better album personally. And after listening to more OFWGKTA, the subject matter/shock value is something that runs through most (not all of the music).

If you haven't heard them, check out Tyler's Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt Earl, Mellowhype Blackenedwhite (yellow white is okay).
Yeah, Goblin is one of those albums that I listened through completely, and probably wont go back to. Blackenedwhite is the only OF album that I really, really like and go back to regularly

PBY

Banned
JackEtc said:

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of them, but I'm loving them. They give off almost a People Under the Stairs vibe, and it's very upbeat. You all should check them out.

Vandalism

Pop Said

Damn, this is exactly the kind of sound that I love. How did I miss this? Love it

Esch

Banned
WOW @ rock the bells. I'm gonna have to go to that.

Fuck em for not having any dates in the midwest or south though

EDIT: Mac miller and macklemore are a waste of space on that.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Bread said:
hoooly shit at rock the bells. Illmatic is easily my favorite album of all time, so I'm automatically going, but seeing Black Star, Raekwon and Ghostface, and Mobb Deep puts it on another level. Too bad I gotta wait until September.

I know I am getting old. I would be fine with a live feed off Youtube or something at this point.

nns3d

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...deep-and-nas-album-talks-about-rock-the-bells

Exclusive: Havoc says fans can expect a Mobb Deep and Nas album and explains why performing "The Infamous" in its entirety at Rock the Bells presents a new challenge for the duo.

One of the surprises announced during last night's Rock the Bells press conference was that Havoc and Prodigy would be performing Mobb Deep's The Infamous album in its entirety, joining a list of acts that includes Nas, Lauryn Hill and Souls of Mischief, to name a few. This news broke as Mobb Deep continues to work on new material after Prodigy's recent release from prison. Havoc sat down with us to talk about joining the Rock the Bells lineup and broke exclusive news to HipHopDX by saying, "We're going to do a Mobb Deep and Nas album."

When asked what fans can expect from Mobb Deep's renewed relationship with Nas, following their "Dog Shit" release, Havoc said that fans can expect, "an album from it."

"We’re gonna do a Mobb Deep and Nas album. It hasn’t begun but we tipped the iceberg a little bit with the 'Dog Shit.' I think as we was working, doing songs back and forth with Nas recently, I think it was just a mutual thought, like, 'Yo, let’s make a fucking album.' Everybody was like, 'Yeah, that would be dope. Fuck it, what we waiting for? Let’s do it.'"

The trio will have time to record over the summer as all three have decided to join the Rock the Bells tour. Like Mobb Deep, Nas will also perform an album in its entirety. He is scheduled to perform Illmatic. For Mobb Deep, this tour will bring about some exciting new challenges, as Havoc explained.

"We’re going to be performing the whole Infamous album, which is new for us. It’s going to be a challenge at the same time. We’re really looking forward to that and to seeing what the fans have to say about that."

While Mobb Deep could have selected to perform without doing an album in its entirety, Havoc explained that they selected to perform Infamous for a specific reason.

"We really wanted to perform something that got us to where we are today. We wanted people to experience what we went through at that time while making it. We want the whole crowd to experience what we went through so they can be like, 'Wow, that’s why they’re here now.'"

McNei1y

I do love the tracks Mobb Deep are featured in on Nas' albums. Would be pretty tight if it somehow happens. Rock the Bells sounds incredible though.

I just discovered Camp Lo recently, been going through a bunch of their older stuff. Jesus, it's so incredible.

Here's a few favs of mine.

Black Connection - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pSL8QljwCE
Simtracks ft Camp Lo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YocUXPCTkNI
Summer Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsHoq0x85I
Sparkle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhxazsQ6UiM
Bubblin' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAymn8YgSk
Gotcha! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkEYN3ic-h8
Coolie High - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaB_Qn1tDA
Lucini (Which I think is one of their most famous, if not the most famous Camp Lo tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG405y51cVk

Anyone know of similar kinda hip hop? lyrically deep and similar fantastic instrumentals? I'm also a huge fan of Outkast, who I also consider some of the very best.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Crook By Da Book by Project Pat is a good way to get through a miserable afternoon in the office. It'll be a late night, so I'm thinking Walkin' Bank Roll will follow this up.

Detox

kamspy said:
Snoop Dogg rips Detox in this interview.

http://rapradar.com/2011/05/25/snoop-dogg-speaks-on-the-delay-of-detox/

He doesn't pull many punches either.
This is not sounding good, Dre needs to swallow his pride and apologise or whatever to get his old team back together. Guys like Mel-Man, Snoop, DOC, Bud'da, Sam Sneed will get back with him all he has to do is ask.

If Snoop is coming out against it publicly then Dre needs to scrap this. I hope the Detox, Dre and DOC made leaks if Dre or fucking Jimmy pushes the shit version to release.

Recon

Banned
EP Available 6.14.2011

1. Welcome 2 Hell
Produced by Havoc

2. Fastlane
Produced by Supa Dups

3. The Reunion
Produced by Sid Roams

4. Above the Law
Produced by Mr. Porter

5. I’m On Everything Feat. Mike Epps
Produced by Mr. Porter

6. A Kiss
Produced by Bangladesh

7. Lighters Feat. Bruno Mars
Produced by Eminem, The SmeeZingtons & Battle Roy

8. Take from Me
Produced by Mr. Porter

9. Loud Noises Feat. Slaughterhouse
Produced by Mr. Porter

Tracklist for Bad Meets Evil Hell:The Sequel. Everything looking good except for bruno mars...wtf?

Detox

They got Havoc which is good but an album called bad meets evil hell, is screaming for Alchemist beats. Still excited hope it isn't just battle raps although it would be nice to hear Em going back somewhat to his old style.

Recon

Banned
Detox said:
They got Havoc which is good but an album called bad meets evil hell, is screaming for Alchemist beats. Still excited hope it isn't just battle raps although it would be nice to hear Em going back somewhat to his old style.

Kinda weird that an Em album has no Dre beat, but that is my only real problem, and the abundance of Mr.Porter, but thats understandable.

kamspy

DaMan121 said:
I love Snoop,even after 'selling' out and all, still have all the time for him.

I still say Snoop is the best freestyle MC I've ever heard.

Bad Meets Evil. The only song I can't already hear just by reading the name is Lighters. The rest, eh.

effzee

ReconYoda said:
Kinda weird that an Em album has no Dre beat, but that is my only real problem, and the abundance of Mr.Porter, but thats understandable.

Mr. Porter beats sometimes have a very heavy influence of Dre's sound.

HiResDes

Can't believe all ya'll so late on Panacea, The Scenic Route is probably my personal favorite album of theirs, but A Mind on a Ship is damn good as well.

kamspy

Lambtron said:
Crook By Da Book by Project Pat is a good way to get through a miserable afternoon in the office. It'll be a late night, so I'm thinking Walkin' Bank Roll will follow this up.

oh shit I missed this post completely. Yes. Project Pat is the best music to get through work. You just dumb the fuck out and starting thinking in the Project Pat flow / voice and the time just flies by. It's also fun to troll your coworkers with on the spot Project Pat freestyles. It fucks with the temps we just got so much. I love it.

overcast

HiResDes said:
Can't believe all ya'll so late on Panacea, The Scenic Route is probably my personal favorite album of theirs, but A Mind on a Ship is damn good as well.
]I'm dependant on gaf-hop. Haven't seen them mentioned :\ But it's great to know they exist. I'll get both of those albums.

HiResDes

About 6 months ago, I think it was HarSon who came in here and posted like thirty similar sounding groups...They were all ill, but I only had so much time to check them out before losing his post. I'll try to dig it up now.

HiResDes

harSon said:
Time to freshen up my collection. Here's most of what's on my playlist right now, minus most of the old school stuff since I have a good grip on that. Please recommend artists/albums/songs you think I'd like based on what's in my playlist:

7L & Esoteric
9th Wonder
Aesop Rock
The Beatnuts
Black Milk
Asheru
Black Star
Blame One
Blu/Blu and Exile/Johnson & Johnson
Blue Scholars
Broathaz Bent
Buff1 & DJ Rhettmatic
Camp Lo
Common
Common Market
Cradle Orchestra
Crown City Rockers
Cunninlynguists
Curren$y
Cyne
Damu the Fudgemunk
Danger Mouse and Jemini
Deacon The Villian
Deda
Dela
Del the funkee homosapian/deltron 3030
Dj Deckstream
DJ Honda
DJ Mitsu the Beats
DJ Premier
DJ Tonk
Doom/Mf Doom
Emanon
EMC
Emilio Rojas
Fashawn
Gang Starr
Ghostface Killah
Giant Panda
Group Hope
Headnodic
Himuki
Illa J
The Illz
Inverse
J. Cole
Jay Electronica
Jazz Addixx
Jazz Liberatorz
Jedi Mind Tricks
J Live
J. Period
Katalyst
Kenn Star
Knaan
Kno
Kooley High
The Left
The Living Legends
Lupe Fiasco
Madvillain
Main Flow and &L
Miami Beat Wave
Moe Pope and Headnodic
Mos Def
Move.Ment
Nas
Nomak
Nujabes
Oddisee
One Be Lo
Panacea
People Under the Stairs
Pete Rock
Raekwon
Reks
re:plus
The Roots
Royce Da 5'9"
Shad
Shinsight Trio/Shin-Ski
Skyzoo
Slum Village
Soloplexus
Sound Providers
Specifics
Statik Selekta
Strange Fruit Project
Strong Arm Steady
Supersci/Superscientifiku
Tonedeff
Torae
Versis
Y Society
Wise Intelligent
Zion I
He was asking for recommendations, but I don't think he realized how ill his own list was, of course I tried to come up with a good list...But it still was nowhere as good as his

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
HiResDes said:
He was asking for recommendations, but I don't think he realized how ill his own list was, of course I tried to come up with a good list...But it still was nowhere as good as his

Based on his list I would say he needs The Coup, the Pharcyde, The Liks and Dilated Peoples

JackEtc said:

Vandalism

Pops Said

Damn, I'm on vaca right now and don't have my mbp, but like what o heard so far, will definitely check out more when I get back to the ville

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
On the subject of hip hop...

7th Grade Beatboxer

Give him a couple of more years and he will put it all together.

kamspy said:
Snoop Dogg rips Detox in this interview.

http://rapradar.com/2011/05/25/snoop-dogg-speaks-on-the-delay-of-detox/

He doesn't pull many punches either.

This isn't good. I have heard from people who would know that Detox is in bad shape and Dre is thinking about scrapping it all and starting over yet again based on the reaction to the first two singles. This confirms all of that.

Also, looking at that video, it is easy to see why everyone loves Snoop. Dude is just so chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom