• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The best track I've heard this year is hands down Mo Brooklyn. All 3 murdered that beat. I can't listen to the Nas/AZ version anymore.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Gaf's hate for Mackelmore is odd. I thought the Ryan Lewis tape was really solid. It wasn't mindblowing or anything but there were some really great tracks on there. The End was one of my favorite tracks of 09/early 2010.

I really liked it too.

kamspy

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Nobody likes the GLC song ft. Three 6 Mafia? Song has been on loop for me.

Oh yeah, I'm always looking out for GLC. He's needs to get the fuck out of GOOD hell and onto the indie circuit.

K.Jack said:
What the fuck happened to RZA, as an MC? He make have fallen off harder there, than he has as a producer.
In my opinion, RZA is a decent MC at best. He has one of those annoying voices, but I won't lie: I dig his efforts in Gravediggaz.

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I have a friend who likes hip-hop but we usually don't talk about hip-hop between the two of us. It usually works like this: he posts a facebook video of a nice hiphop video and I like it or the other way around. Today, he brought up Fast Lane by Em and Royce and we talked about how nice it was.

Then randomly, I said, "Hey, man, you uhh ever hear of Lil B?"

He said, "Woop!"

I said, "Swag!"

Holy shit. We couldn't stop laughing. We spoke about how Lil B is essentially a troll in the hip-hop realm but does show glimpses of seriousness in tracks like the 9th Wonder produced track with Jean Grae. Ironic, I knew this guy for almost a year: we could have been cooking like master chefs together.

#swag

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ciara >>>>>>>>>> Ms. Ventura anyways.

Quick off topic note regarding the ban:
it was for blatantly telling people where to find them, in addition to having "no real discussion point in the OP." Which is some fucking BULLSHIT because there have been TONS of threads where people tell you what site and where on that site exactly to get pictures of the sort and nobody got banned, ever. Additionally, I don't think I have to point out the amount of threads that had no discussion points in the OP without people getting banned anyways, especially in the last week. Plus, the hell do you think people will discuss in that thread anyways? And I don't think the maker of the previous leak's thread got any repurcussions either from the looks of it. Another casualty of the blurry ban system on GAF I guess. I rallied for clear cut ban rules in a few other threads before, or some sort of public version of the ban history so people can clearly know for what reason people have been banned to avoid future bans and I guess generally improve the quality of the forum as a whole. Chances of that happening? Slim for whatever supposed privacy issues.
Protect Ya Neck, fam. But I digress..

Here's what I thought (essay incoming) about some of the things I listened to in the last few weeks without the usual hyperbole, including during my exile to the depths of EviLore's prison (and a welcome back to recent escapee Shinobi):

Goblin - I went in with an open mind, but it's still a really mediocre album I think. Goblin, Yonkers, Boppin Bitch and Bitch Suck Dick are the only tracks that I thought were half decent. I guess a lot of people that are liking this can get past Tyler's need to thing of the most ridiculous things and loosely string them together overlayed by what sounds like a diabolical sounding conscious that sounds like it's getting ready to deliver the portion of the album with some substance but never does. I mean the album has it's moments, but if your going to talk about gibberish for 70+ minutes, you better be a consistently good rapper. Tyler is not.

Nostalgia, Ultra - WOW. I downloaded this right after I got banned off of the strength of the sexy M3 on the cover alone. Then right as I was pressing play on the first song I realized it was by "that Odd Future guy" Frank Ocean. Ready to hear some mediocre rapper rapping about nonsense, I listened to it anyway. First off, it's R&B, and every post or interview discussing him I've seen somehow implied the dude was a rapper, so that was a surprise. The second surprise was how good it was. There Will Be Tears, Swim Good and American Wedding are the three that I'm liking the most ATM, but the entire thing is golden from start to finish. One of the better releases I've listened to so far in 2011. Oh and that "Acura Integurl" song Toku posted? Dope. And the dude's driving a fucking NSX, one of my favourite cars of all time in the video too? I approve of this. Yeah okay, I'm officially jumping on the bandwagon.

Niggaz with Lattitude - There's nothing particular that stands out for me from this album, it was just downright high quality and fun to listen to. A lot of good shit to bop your head to, and is very reminiscient of a sound which escapes me at the moment. A bunch of fun and interesting production from start to finish too, and that's good cause production is usually make or break for me. From the little CL-related stuff I've listened to, it seems like there's a pretty evident pattern of good production going on. Just a solid package as a whole, even though I can't really break down it's bits and pieces as to why I like it so much. Rip the Guts is my favourite track off of that, followed by the Final Call outro.

Covert Coup - For shits and giggles, I gave Curren$y another shot. The production is absolutely top notch, and Curren$y's flow is pretty much lock and key with Alchemist's production. You see I'd enjoy every single song a bit more than I already do if Curren$y didn't talk about absolute sporadic nonsense from start to finish. ADD rap. Funny seeing everyone criticize Royce because he talks about rubbish for days when Spitta does the exact same, and has arguably the same level (or lack of) of charisma as Royce. A shame to see someone with talent and potential put it all into boring and monotonous ADD raps, which is what keeps this and Royce's discography from being "great" and only "good". Though I can't speak for Curren$y's discography, the consistency of Royce's discography falls a bit below even "good." Still, I enjoyed it more than any of the Curren$y shit I've listened to in the past, so I guess that's a plus. The P feature is the best bit of the album hands down. /sober

Mood Muzik 4.5 - A good complement to Mood Muzik 4. That dreamers track could have been trimmed a bit though. Alas, still more evidence that Joe Budden needs to get on some different beats so all his songs don't sound the same though. He's held onto this production sound for too long, and in terms of releases I've listened to, it hasn't been that long, but it already feels dry. That said, enjoying this. Random diss track to god knows who is at the end is great too, more controversy and contemplative-rap from Joey, the kind I like. Good, not great or mindblowing. Dreamerz seems like the only song better than stuff on MM4.

And artists I particularly found dope from Siddx's first 3 round ups that I haven't heard before are Schoolboy Q, Johnny Spanish & Danny Brown. I think the Johnny Spanish song is just a one off song from him that I like. Will probably check out Schoolboy Q next at a later date, he seems nice
and I feel bad about being out of touch with the West
. Then Danny Brown, cause that dude seems funky as hell.

soul creator said:

Y'all slept on this. As one of the biggest Chappelle fans in the world, this shit had me in stitches for a good hour.

HiResDes

If I were to list my favorite rappers out of those who debuted in the last two years, Danny Brown would most definitely be in my top ten. He has no parallel, there's no one that sounds remotely like him, even more so than ODB.

Also the more you listen to NWL, the better it gets.

enzo_gt said:
Goblin - I went in with an open mind, but it's still a really mediocre album I think. Goblin, Yonkers, Boppin Bitch and Bitch Suck Dick are the only tracks that I thought were half decent. I guess a lot of people that are liking this can get past Tyler's need to thing of the most ridiculous things and loosely string them together overlayed by what sounds like a diabolical sounding conscious that sounds like it's getting ready to deliver the portion of the album with some substance but never does. I mean the album has it's moments, but if your going to talk about gibberish for 70+ minutes, you better be a consistently good rapper. Tyler is not.

Nostalgia, Ultra - WOW. I downloaded this right after I got banned off of the strength of the sexy M3 on the cover alone. Then right as I was pressing play on the first song I realized it was by "that Odd Future guy" Frank Ocean. Ready to hear some mediocre rapper rapping about nonsense, I listened to it anyway. First off, it's R&B, and every post or interview discussing him I've seen somehow implied the dude was a rapper, so that was a surprise. The second surprise was how good it was. There Will Be Tears, Swim Good and American Wedding are the three that I'm liking the most ATM, but the entire thing is golden from start to finish. One of the better releases I've listened to so far in 2011. Oh and that "Acura Integurl" song Toku posted? Dope. And the dude's driving a fucking NSX, one of my favourite cars of all time in the video too? I approve of this. Yeah okay, I'm officially jumping on the bandwagon.

Bitch suck dick is just too good lol.
The reason you probably heard Frank Ocean referred to as a rapper is because he raps two verses on Goblin, but whoever said that should of really just called him a R&B singer since that's what he mostly is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
If I were to list my favorite rappers out of those who debuted in the last two years, Danny Brown would most definitely be in my top ten. He has no parallel, there's no one that sounds remotely like him, even more so than ODB.

Yeah, everytime I try and think of what his sound reminds me of, even though it sounds familiar, I can't seem to put a finger on anyone. That's why funky is the best way to describe it. It.. almost sounds playful really. With a evil kind of twist to it.

Tguy said:
Bitch suck dick is just too good lol.
The reason you probably heard Frank Ocean referred to as a rapper is because he raps two verses on Goblin, but whoever said that should of really just called him a R&B singer since that's what he mostly is.
It was just odd listening to interviews like "FRANK OCEAN IS KILLIN EM OUT THERE FAM" and and then coming into some godlike R&B.

While I'm at it, Swizz (lol) says Jay sounds hungry on WTT. Oh and Snoop of all people speaking out about the state of Detox was unexpected as hell. Potentially even anti-hype.

JEKKI

enzo_gt said:
Y'all slept on this. As one of the biggest Chappelle fans in the world, this shit had me in stitches for a good hour.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOMG!!!!!

K.Jack said:
There is none. No one does it like The Lo.
BAM!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWvXj1tNCU

Black Nostaljack Remix

if u like Camp Lo and havent heard this u really need to.

this track reminds me when I used to go into my computer lab at high school and spend all morning on sandboxautomatic.com listening to real audio stream clips all morning before classes start.

in other news I was listening to Freebass 808 earlier today (Geechi Suede + some producer)

it's weird and not very good...

PBY

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
My dude, you know I got you. APT, has great DJ's there. BB Kings has great Hip-Hop acts, so does S.O.B's, were a lot of famous rappers like DOOM got their break.
Can't wait to check these places out, gonna be fun being in the city- thanks for the recommendations, Shinobi always comes through

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:

Given that time span, he'd be #1 on my list.

IrishNinja

HiResDes said:

aw, don't just say this, res - link to more tracks. ive literally heard Shaq on stilts and that last one you linked with his different flow.

DominoKid

does GAF-Hop like Tinie Tempah?

I've gotten that Written in the Stars song imprinted in my brain so I'm giving his album a listen.

Brit rappers dont really do it for me though. The accent makes em sound stupid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:

I've gotten that Written in the Stars song imprinted in my brain so I'm giving his album a listen.

That Pass Out song knocks. Otherwise, don't know much about him, like every other UK rapper.

kamspy

I think the amount of pure shock rap songs on Goblin in greatly overstated. His mic work in also understated in most impressions. Check the first verse in Fish, or anything in Tron Cat. As for songs that aren't pure """"shock lyrics"""", well: Goblin, She, Nightmare, Her, Fish, Analog, Window, Golden.

And yeah, it's still holding up for me. Only track I can't get into is Radicals. Best hip hop album this year still. No filler on this one.

TheOddOne

So I'm gonna change my stance on the MMG album. Its still for the most part mediocure with Wale really pushing for the spotlight. There are some highlights though, the title track "Self Made" is really something else, "Rise" (in which Currency steals the show) is straight fire and "Running Rebels" was what I was expecting of the whole album. Pill really can choose some shitty beats though, that "Ridin' on Dat Pole" song is straight garbage. Also I hope in the future they steer clear of Lex Luger style beats, its played out and they should stick to the staple Ross producers like The Inkredibles, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and The Olympicks.

PBY

Banned
TheOddOne said:
So I'm gonna change my stance on the MMG album. Its still for the most part mediocure with Wale really pushing for the spotlight. There are some highlights though, the title track "Self Made" is really something else, "Rise" (in which Currency steals the show) is straight fire and "Running Rebels" was what I was expecting of the whole album. Pill really can choose some shitty beats though, that "Ridin' on Dat Pole" song is straight garbage. Also I hope in the future they steer clear of Lex Luger style beats, its played out and they should stick to the staple Ross producers like The Inkredibles, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and The Olympicks.
I like 600 and Pandemonium...

DominoKid

peterb0y said:
I like 600 and Pandemonium...

I got a penny in my pocket, million in the trunk!

really RAWSE's hooks are on some other shit this album. that one, Pacman and Fitted Cap have me rollin.

so back to the Tinie Tempah album. i'm listening to the US release with a few of the UK tracks thrown into the sequence.

its actually pretty good. very poppy though so i can see a lot of GAF-Hop not liking it.

still not feeling the whole brit-rapper thing though.

Parts

DominoKid said:

I like his album, and he's made some good tunes. Played at my University ball last year as well.

Esch

Banned
frank ocean: probably what i enjoy most out of all odd future shits. good to have when you've got a girl over or something.

TheOddOne

DominoKid said:
still not feeling the whole brit-rapper thing though.
Have you listened to Kano's Home Sweet Home and Sway DaSafo's This Is My Demo? Pretty dope brit albums, but yeah the whole grime thing is really something you have to get use to.

Parts

TheOddOne said:
Have you listened to Kano's Home Sweet Home and Sway DaSafo's This Is My Demo? Pretty dope brit albums, but yeah the whole grime thing is really something you have to get use to.
Sway's Signature LP is awesome as well.

ShdwDrake

Banned
DominoKid said:

I'm really into Tempah right now. I normally don't like British rappers either.

DominoKid

TheOddOne said:

yeah I've heard the Kano album but not the Sway one.

i can recognize the skill some of them have, but...the voice/accent man.

i just havent heard a brit rapper that sounded right and its hard to put my finger on what would make them sound right

harSon

Banned
HiResDes said:
He was asking for recommendations, but I don't think he realized how ill his own list was, of course I tried to come up with a good list...But it still was nowhere as good as his

Glad you like my list! I'm still down for some recommendations haha

Since then I've added:

XV
Big KRIT
Ski Beatz
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Black Hippy
Gorilla Warfare Tactics
Saigon
Action Bronson
Joel Ortiz
Slaughterhouse
Little Brother
Scienze

TheOddOne

DominoKid said:
yeah I've heard the Kano album but not the Sway one.

i can recognize the skill some of them have, but...the voice/accent man.

i just havent heard a brit rapper that sounded right and its hard to put my finger on what would make them sound right
Maby because I am right around the pond, it not so bad for me. But I get why people have trouble with the voice and accent.

Detox

I'm from the UK and Grime is unequivocally shit. Slick Rick and MF DOOM are the best MC's the UK has produced and no the US isn't allowed to claim them.

Detox

Yes he is, but has slowly moved away from his debut which could have been described as a style of hiphop kind of exclusive to Britain.

K.Jack

Detox said:
I'm from the UK and Grime is unequivocally shit. Slick Rick and MF DOOM are the best MC's the UK has produced and no the US isn't allowed to claim them.
Awww, I'm a big fan of Dot Rotten, and Devlin. Sometimes Ghetts.

PBY

Banned
J-Rawls-The-Hip-Hop-Affect.jpg

really liking this

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
Pretty dope brit albums, but yeah the whole grime thing is really something you have to get use to.
It's been years since it came out, but I still get way hype every time I put on the Run the Road compliation.

K.Jack

Parts said:
Big Professor Green fan too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ddj7zY9QLo&feature=related

Lyrically Devlin's good. The problem is his flow, it sounds exactly the same on every track. His recent stint on an Ed Sheeran tune was the last straw for me with him. He just isn't versatile, at all.
New Devlin is not my guy, I should have said that. His flow is carbon copied on every track.

I like him circa this session. Much more aggressive, and sick bars.

This recent Dot track is my shit. It's way different for him, but it's awesome.

JEKKI

peterb0y said:
J-Rawls-The-Hip-Hop-Affect.jpg

really liking this
what's some standout tracks for you on it??

I listened to it the other day and was like meh, but I'm definitely planning on revisiting it again this weekend.

but then again, I listened to it after listening to two other stellar recent releases that I'll talk about later, so it may just have been eclipsed very hard

PBY

Banned
JEKKI said:
what's some standout tracks for you on it??

I listened to it the other day and was like meh, but I'm definitely planning on revisiting it again this weekend.

but then again, I listened to it after listening to two other stellar recent releases that I'll talk about later, so it may just have been eclipsed very hard
I liked all of the tracks, but especially:
We're on Top
Sandsy
That Very First Day

I think my fav track is Face It- Its just such a happy, upbeat song... I know some people might find it corny, but its just got a great vibe to it

kamspy

Song had the potential to be a banger, but you can barely discern the hook after the midway point because Royce insists on spitting random numbers of bars between hooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom