• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Will listen once I get home but let me guess...nothing like their old work right?

I am still hoping at least 1 track will sound something like the style they both used to rap in.

kamspy

effzee said:
Will listen once I get home but let me guess...nothing like their old work right?

I am still hoping at least 1 track will sound something like the style they both used to rap in.

What do you consider their old work?

Kimosabae said:
Will people stop uploading shit to Hulkshare? God, what a shitty site. Half the time I can even get the embedded player to work.
Same. I spent half of the time wondering where to download, but I guess it's good in that it doesn't have a timer that you have to wait to expire before you download.

I like I'm on Everything more than Fast Lane, actually... Eminem sounds more "Shady" if you know what I mean.

Also I love that Nikkiya track. Never heard of homegirl before but she can sing...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kimosabae said:
Will people stop uploading shit to Hulkshare? God, what a shitty site. Half the time I can even get the embedded player to work.
I thought it was just me. I ended up finding it elsewhere.

kamspy said:
What do you consider their old work?

12 Minute Freestyle
Bad Meets Evil
Nuttin' To Do
Renegades
Rock City
Scary Movies
She's the One
What The Beat (feat. Method Man)

Those I guess.

And I like the new track. I love back and forth verses, and this EP is looking to deliver in that aspect.

Net_Wrecker said:
The hell? There's a video for this?

2007...gotdamn I'm late
Yeah. Fuck, I got all nostalgic just now hearing it in its entirety. =(
ChldRebelSoldr said:
:O Where is this from?

You might never know. Lupe might do a gospel track one of these days.
It's from Gemini/GemStones/Demarco Castle's Troubles of the World. I'm not sure if that album ever got released or anything, though.

effzee said:
Bad blood between Lupe and Gem?
Nah. I think they're cool. It's just that GemStones dropped his whole "hard" persona and went to the Church. He does gospel music now. Gem was one of my favorite MCs ever since Lupe brought him out there.

His version of Free Chilly is fire even though it's short. Free Chilly is just one of those beats on an album that I wish an artist did more with.

CRS

spindashing said:
Yeah. Fuck, I got all nostalgic just now hearing it in its entirety. =(

It's from Gemini/GemStones/Demarco Castle's Troubles of the World. I'm not sure if that album ever got released or anything, though.
The Die will always be one of my favorite contributions from Gemini. Fuck that GemStones name.

Wikipedia says it's from F&Fth: Part VI. Seems wrong though. Never knew there was a part VI.

spindashing said:
Nah. I think they're cool. It's just that GemStones dropped his whole "hard" persona and went to the Church. He does gospel music now. Gem was one of my favorite MCs ever since Lupe brought him out there.
Gemini got dropped from F&Fth before though, no? I thought that was a cause of his departure.

spindashing said:
Damn.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
The Die will always be one of my favorite contributions from Gemini. Fuck that GemStones name.

Wikipedia says it's from F&Fth: Part VI. Seems wrong though. Never knew there was a part VI.

Gemini got dropped from F&Fth before though, no? I thought that was a cause of his departure.

Damn.
Yeah, The Die was pretty beast. And I may be wrong, I just looked up Part VI and it does exist. It has Free Chilly and We On amongst other Gemini tracks.

Yeah, he was dropped from 1st&15th along with Matthew Santos. The only person still in 1st&15th with Lupe is Sarah Green. The story is different from person to person, but Lupe himself said that there was no bad blood between any of them and I think Matthew Santos himself confirmed that he was cool with Lupe. We haven't heard a lot from Gem though.

EDIT:
WAIT!
16kawrd.jpg

BUT!:
RwRMI.png

So they are good.

TheOddOne

I still don't get why Lupe gutted the label. He referenced it a couple of times in his song, but always comes off as a egotistical douche.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Post more back and forth song verses plz. That shit is like crack for me.

EDIT: Nardwuar vs. Curren$y Pt.2

Not feeling I'm On Everything as much as I'd like. The crazy flow on Fast Lane is better IMO.

Holy shit:
Nardwuar: I once interviewed Marilyn Manson, and he said he had sex 11 times a day.
Curren$y: *gat damn face*
Narduwar: Are you anywhere near there?
Curren$y: ...like.. with another person?

I'm dying here. Holy shit this is the funniest Nardwuar vid yet. He also did one with Tech N9Ne recently.

hey enzo your link to the interview goes to that Eminem/Royce song, not the interview.

Ha, at currensy asking if marilyn manson has sex 11 times a day with another person

effzee

Don't like the new Em/Royce. The beat is annoying, the hook is annoying, and I wish they kept rapping how they did in the first verse for the whole song.

PBY

Banned
I'm making a playlist for bball/the gym of heavy hitting, swagger on 100, fuck the world songs... Suggestions gaf hop? I forget who posted that 600% mixtape, but that was awesome get hype music.

kamspy

peterb0y said:
I'm making a playlist for bball/the gym of heavy hitting, swagger on 100, fuck the world songs... Suggestions gaf hop? I forget who posted that 600% mixtape, but that was awesome get hype music.

DMX discography

Acid08

Banned
Damn, that Curren$y interview was awesome, better than the first one. His interview with Wayne is fucking terrible, that dude has no fucking charisma.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
peterb0y said:
As always, Flockavelli!

DominoKid

peterb0y said:

Juicy J - Rubba Band Business (2 Mixtapes)
Maybach Music Group - Self Made

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
hey enzo your link to the interview goes to that Eminem/Royce song, not the interview.

Ha, at currensy asking if marilyn manson has sex 11 times a day with another person
Shit my bad. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVvzAZh7LKs&feature=player_embedded

Fucking hysterical.
kamspy said:
DMX discography
And Then There Was.. X specifically.

What The Game's Been Missing album - Juelz Santana or atleast Rumble Young Man Rumble.
100 Miles & Runnin - NWA

TheOddOne

That interview is all kinds of awesome, Currency really has a lot of charisma.

Also CANNON.

Edit: Currency is affraid of MJ bubblegum lol
Edit 2: T-Small & Big Balls HAHAHAHHAHAH

Kaizer

Banned
peterb0y said:

J.Cole - I'm On It
Big Sean - I Do It

spindashing said:
Also Lupe Fiasco and GemStones. Too bad we won't get more of this...
I remember discovering this on YouTube like a year ago, took me totally by surprise. Such a dope collabo. Kanye and Common's Southside is also another back and forth song I love.

Of course nothing tops Black Star to me personally. I hope Kendrick Lamar's and J.Cole's forthcoming mixtape has some of this style.

overcast

peterb0y said:
Yeah thats great, Grown Simba and Im On It are on this playlist now too
Oh alright. Yeah those will all suffice for sure.
Kaizer said:
I hope Kendrick Lamar's and J.Cole's forthcoming mixtape has some of this style.
Yeah, those two have the capabilities to kill it back and forth. This is coming out this year correct?

Kaizer

Banned
overcast said:
Yeah, those two have the capabilities to kill it back and forth. This is coming out this year correct?
Supposedly, but if it does drop this it probably won't be till the end of year with Kendrick about to come out with Section.80 and J.Cole about to drop the album single in a few weeks (days?). I did hear this a few weeks ago and I hadn't heard it before, now I'm super hyped.

overcast

Kaizer said:
Supposedly, but if it does drop this it probably won't be till the end of year with Kendrick about to come out with Section.80 and J.Cole about to drop the album single in a few weeks (days?). I did hear this a few weeks ago and I hadn't heard it before, now I'm super hyped.
Yeah that makes sense. Holy shit that song is great.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If we're talking Dipset, Crunk Muzik, Dipset anthem and Santana's Town.

So glad they're back together. Hope they don't fuck around with Luger and put some more of those AraabMuzik beats on. Everything Dipset is hype. Gonna hit up that Gunz N Butta next too when I get a chance.

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:
If we're talking Dipset, Crunk Muzik, Dipset anthem and Santana's Town.

So glad they're back together. Hope they don't fuck around with Luger and put some more of those AraabMuzik beats on. Everything Dipset is hype. Gonna hit up that Gunz N Butta next too when I get a chance.
People like AraabMuzik beats? I've heard like 5 beats of his and goddamn does he loop alot (more then usual).

mooooose

TheOddOne said:
People like AraabMuzik beats? I've heard like 5 beats of his and goddamn does he loop alot (more then usual).
Listen to Stop it 5, Always Made It, and Salute and tell me he isn't a good producer.

Granted, "Hip Hop GAF" probably won't like him because all his beats don't sound like they're from before 2000. #shotsfired

Not sure if you guys know, but these lame rappers are the ones who are asking Lex Luger himself for beats that sound like BMF/Hard in the paint.

There was actually an article with him and asking why does all of his beats sound the same and he said that he'd give rappers beats that sound different from his usual and they'd say they don't want it and they want something like BMF.

I'll try to find the whole article and paste it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
Not sure if you guys know, but these lame rappers are the ones who are asking Lex Luger himself for beats that sound like BMF/Hard in the paint.

There was actually an article with him and asking why does all of his beats sound the same and he said that he'd give rappers beats that sound different from his usual and they'd say they don't want it and they want something like BMF.

I'll try to find the whole article and paste it
Right here. On the second page.

On the criticism that all his beats sound the same said:
“It is [true], in a way. But every interview I do, I try to tell them that it’s a lot more than that [‘B.M.F.’ sound]. When I’m sending out 40 beats a day to one artist, out of those 40 he might pick two just because they sound like ‘B.M.F.’ or ‘Hard In The Paint,’ and he feels like that’s his hit. I think that’s a big problem in music right now. Everybody is like, ‘Oh, he’s hot right now. I’m going to try and get something that sounds like him.’ And that’s what I feel like a lot of artists did to me because Waka was really the biggest thing at one time. So they wanted that ‘Hard In The Paint’ sound. And I was just the man behind that, so they reached out to me. So when I sent them other types of music, they were like ‘What is this?’ I want ‘B.M.F.’ or ‘Hard In The Paint. Don’t send me this.’ So what I try to do now is, I try and hold the ‘B.M.F.’ and ‘Hard In The Paint’ sound to myself. I won’t send that out. I’ll send the pop music or the R&B out to the major artists so they have to do it.”

“But certain artists just want ‘Hard In The Paint’ and ‘B.M.F.’ The thing that kills me is it’s the big artists that have five and six albums already out, asking me for what I made a year ago. I was at the airport, someone was calling me, and I didn’t know who it was, so I picked it up like, ‘Yeah, what’s up? This is Lex Luger.’ And they was like, ‘Yeah, this is Chingy.’ I was like, ‘Who? Chingy?’ I couldn’t believe that man. [Laughs.] He called me like, ‘I need some beats man. I want to go back in.’ And I wasn’t like, ‘Nah. Chingy, I don’t want to work with you.’ I was like, ‘Alright, cool.’ He was like, ‘I want that ‘Hard In The Paint.’ Give me something just like ‘Hard In The Paint.’’ I was like, ‘Bruh, I can’t do it.’ A lot of people like that call me though. I get that all the time. Busta Rhymes called me the other day. Sean Garrett said he wanted a hit for the club. They’ll call me and be like, ‘I need that hit to bring me back.’”

lol @ Chingy. But this gave me a lot more respect for the dude, especially knowing he's 19.

Heel

harSon said:
Glad you like my list! I'm still down for some recommendations haha

Never posted in this thread before, but saw your earlier list and can give you some recommendations. We have pretty similar taste in artists. Used to be heavily into Hip Hop about 5-10 years ago when a good amount these artists were hitting their stride. You may know some of this stuff, not sure. I'll try to bless you with some knowledge though!

First...saw you recommending Crown City Rockers. Did you know their group was originally called Mission:? They changed names when Moe Pope left the group (saw you recommended his music as well). They have a good amount of material under this name. One of my favorite tracks from them, a b-side:

Mission: - Soul Chips

When Moe Pope left Mission:, he linked up with Insight (I can get into Insight more thoroughly if you want, but a lot of your recommendations are Insight groups/pseudonyms if you weren't aware) in Boston for the group Electric (fka Electric Company). Grab the Electric album "Life's a Struggle" if you haven't heard it before. One of the tracks:

Electric - Respect Life

Afterwards, Moe Pope and a few of the MC's from Electric formed the offshoot group Project Move. Here's one of the tracks I enjoyed from their album:

Project Move - Butterfly Theory

Also, Raashan Ahmad, MC from Mission: and Crown City Rockers has solo material out you'd like...all in the same vein.

Hope that gets you started! If you like any of that I've got plenty more to recommend.

enzo_gt said:
Right here. On the second page.

lol @ Chingy. But this gave me a lot more respect for the dude, especially knowing he's 19.
Preciate it, I have no problems at all with Lex Luger ever since I read that article, but more problems with these rappers/producers who just go for that type of style. You'd think they'd be the ones who want to start trends and not follow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom