• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Well he's facing what every producer in the game has also felt, people want to copy the sound and run in the ground.

Dunno still not feeling Araab though, but yeah he makes some energetic beats that fit Dipset.

DominoKid

Luger can tweak his style though

The shit he gave to Juicy/Wiz is a lot different than the Ross/Waka stuff.

then he got that beat on the MMG album which i never woulda guessed was a Luger beat.

lol @ Chingy though. I bought Powerballin in the 8th grade and forced myself to like it and it was my soundtrack to basketball season. i hate him for how he defiled Rudy Huxtable though. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ME KEISHA!

i used to get ignant to this song and this one too

matter of fact i probably still know that whole album by heart.

I actually haven't listened to that Juicy J/Lex Luger mixtape yet, I'm still catching up on a lot of stuff from last year/early this year.

The Phone Numbers beat off Cabin Fever is sick though.

Lol, I think the only chingy album I'd probably give a chance is Jackpot

enzo_gt said:
Post more back and forth song verses plz. That shit is like crack for me.

EDIT: Nardwuar vs. Curren$y Pt.2

Not feeling I'm On Everything as much as I'd like. The crazy flow on Fast Lane is better IMO.

Holy shit:
Nardwuar: I once interviewed Marilyn Manson, and he said he had sex 11 times a day.
Curren$y: *gat damn face*
Narduwar: Are you anywhere near there?
Curren$y: ...like.. with another person?

I'm dying here. Holy shit this is the funniest Nardwuar vid yet. He also did one with Tech N9Ne recently.

Haaa, Curren$y handled that well. A lot of Nardwuar's interviews are so awkward because the person being interview acts like such a douche.

HiResDes

Damn that first Diplomatic Immunity was so damn good, I used to be Dipset crazy...Like a great multitude of games on my Xbox listening to that album from the hard drive repeatedly. I used to have this post route with like two of my other friends and we'd just ride around all summer playing that shit over and over with all of our windows down. Man that album brings back so many good memories.

kamspy

Slim Thug is consistent as hell. The leaked version of Already Platinum, that got scrapped and redone because of the leak, is hard as hell. I looked all over the internet for it and could only find a couple songs. Digging through my CDs a couple weeks ago I found it. Fuck Yeah moment if there ever was one.

Kaizer

Banned
peterb0y said:
Derrick Rose fan?
Nope, especially after dude choked last night in the final seconds. I have noticed both of those songs for D.Rose commercials though.

EDIT: I loved Slim Thug's Already Platinum, mainly the title song. I haven't really listened to anything else by him though.

kamspy

I liked Teflon Don a lot. Easily in the top 3 retail albums of 2010 for me. Almost every track reeked of quality and quality and quality and fine calfskin leather. It's obviously a very influential album, like it or not. Self Made has some of the same qualities, but Pill and Meek just don't fit the tailor to perfection style that Teflon Don had. Wale was a steal as far as free agents go. He adds a ton of lyrics to go for the group, and saves the album from being "just a thumper". Most of the Meek and Pill songs would have been better with just Ross and maybe Wale. They have very different styles, but 600 Benz really shows that it can work. Like a thunder and lighting backfield for a football team (shitty ass metaphor, sue me). It's not in the same league as Teflon Don, but it's probably gonna bump all summer. Ross was dumb as hell for giving Tupac Back to Meek. It would have been crazy as hell with just him on it. Blasphemous or not, that's a track I could dig.

CRS

One of the biggest reasons why I love hip-hop: the samples used for beats. Finding so many amazing songs through a sample is awesome. Used in Cunninlynguists' "Nothin to Give?" and Trae the Truth's "Bad Don't Seem So Wrong".

Example: Garfield - Private Affair /drunk

Edit: Your favorite sample?

DominoKid

Xt3uM.jpg

jeez Ross, put a goddamn shirt on.

XEUGS.jpg

Drake you aint banging Grape Street. ditch the bandanna.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
kamspy said:
I liked Teflon Don a lot. Easily in the top 3 retail albums of 2010 for me. Almost every track reeked of quality and quality and quality and fine calfskin leather. It's obviously a very influential album, like it or not. Self Made has some of the same qualities, but Pill and Meek just don't fit the tailor to perfection style that Teflon Don had. Wale was a steal as far as free agents go. He adds a ton of lyrics to go for the group, and saves the album from being "just a thumper". Most of the Meek and Pill songs would have been better with just Ross and maybe Wale. They have very different styles, but 600 Benz really shows that it can work. Like a thunder and lighting backfield for a football team (shitty ass metaphor, sue me). It's not in the same league as Teflon Don, but it's probably gonna bump all summer. Ross was dumb as hell for giving Tupac Back to Meek. It would have been crazy as hell with just him on it. Blasphemous or not, that's a track I could dig.

Fucking beat is bananas

DiddyBop

kamspy said:

have to agree about teflon don. this is when i became a huge ross fan. dude's ear for beats are incredible, and his lyrics are great too. ross is the best thing to happen to "cocaine rap" since the clipse's hell hath no fury.

ashes to ashes is also a ridiculously good mixtape.

Nitsuj23

I want to like Ross it's just hard after 50 exposed everything. It'd be one thing to admit to being a correctional officer, but to deny then later be proved wrong makes everything he says less believable. His songs are fictitious facts, there are rappers that do what he does better imo.

overcast

I haven't copped Teflon yet. But that's because I don't like what I've heard from Ross prior to that coming out. Why should I get it? (this page is convincing though).

Grzi

Tokubetsu said:
I still don't understand why he left the intro off of Teflon Don. LOVE that beat so much I actually added it to my playlist.

Where can I find this?

And yeah, I've been a Ross fan for a minute, Deeper Than Rap was great too, but Teflon Don was simply amazing.

I agree with what kamspy said about Self Made, Rawse became too good for these other rappers in his camp, his verses are great, but Meek Mill and Pill are not in the same league.

kamspy

Nitsuj23 said:
I want to like Ross it's just hard after 50 exposed everything. It'd be one thing to admit to being a correctional officer, but to deny then later be proved wrong makes everything he says less believable. His songs are fictitious facts, there are rappers that do what he does better imo.

Who makes JUSTICE LEAGUE Bawse music better than Ross?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
overcast said:
I haven't copped Teflon yet. But that's because I don't like what I've heard from Ross prior to that coming out. Why should I get it? (this page is convincing though).

Teflon was so much better than past releases, IMO. I think it was the fact everything was tighter, very little filler, production was much better, the features didn't overpower Ross. It was a really good package.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
If anybody really wants to get into Danny Brown, The Hybrid Deluxe is inarguably the best entry point.
Duly noted for the future.

What's worse, putting Meek Mill on Tupac Back or Styles P on BMF? Styles P is another rapper I dont understand. How the fuck does he get features on relevant artist's songs in this day and age? Why do people even put his ass on songs he doesn't fit on at all?

I liked Ross back when he debuted. Push It, Cross that Line and the whole debut Port of Miami was gold. Probably the last time I'd call myself a fan. Then we got Trilla where we started to hear the change in his sound, but the album had much more shitty songs than POM. DTR continued the pattern but gave us Maybach Music 2, an anthem of sorts for his larger than life-lifestyle. I disliked Teflon Don at first but it grown on me tenfold. I'm Not A Star opens up the album with some of the hardest lines (why does this JUSTICE LEAGUE joint sound like a Luger anyways?) and leads into Ross' best work yet. I just want to know where he goes next, is he going to piggyback on some Luger shit to stay safe, go back and do an entire JUSTICE LEAGUE album, or try to switch it up hopefully. I think he'll just add Luger to the arsenal of producers that will grow with every album, I'm just wondering who's next.

It's just hard knowing the dude who attempts to make the hardest music out is a con artist. Listening to I'm Not A Star and just WAITING for him to rhyme something with CO when he never does is painful, still my favourite off of Teflon Don though. But the music was enough to make everyone look past that, and that's an accomplishment in itself.

Kyzer

Banned
Hey guys I just wanted to stop by and let you know that if everything works out, I'm gonna take part in the XXL Top Mics competition here in DC, and if that goes well I get to play a crucial venue in Miami and get featured in the magazine. wish me luck, GAF.

kamspy

Good luck man. Link me to that mixtape again. I only browsed the snippets. Don't feel like digging it up again in this thread. What did you record it with?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
.........I know I'm late on this but......wtf
Remember the tracklist we thought up:

01 - I'm Back (feat. Hayley Williams) (prod. by Alex da Kidd)
02 - N.A.S. (feat. Gucci Mane) (prod. by Lex Luger)
03 - Queensbridge Love Story (feat. Drake) (prod. by. Boi-1da)
04 - Skinny Jeans Is Ok (feat. Bruno Mars) (prod. by the kid who brings in the newspaper)

5. Girl (feat. Trey Songz) (prod. by Kanye West)
6. QB 4 Life (feat. Jungle) (prod. by Just Blaze)
7. Riderz (prod. by Lex Luger)
8. Hot Titties (feat. T.I.) (prod. by Drumma Boy)

It'll come true.

DominoKid

enzo_gt said:
Duly noted for the future.

What's worse, putting Meek Mill on Tupac Back or Styles P on BMF? Styles P is another rapper I dont understand. How the fuck does he get features on relevant artist's songs in this day and age? Why do people even put his ass on songs he doesn't fit on at all?

twas worth it for this line

Did I mention guns from, Red Dead Redemption
Nine mils, fifty clip extensions

anyway i dont care that Ross was a CO. yeah he's a fraud, but he's a fraud thats damn good at making music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom