• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

My mansion sittin on 40 acres, who da neighbors, Kobe Bryant from the Lakers...Now that's the paper!

juicy_j.jpg

...Just played this shit in my friend's whip, basically caused a minor earthquake in Ohio.

Gave Self Made another spin. I feel Ross is a good rapper, I've liked his last two albums etc, but I wonder if he's rapidly approaching self parody status. Or "major rapper" parody status. He has his foot in the door, has some level of dominance over the "street banger" aspect of mainstream rap, and has has begun building his empire like Jay-Z and others did.

Very little on Self Made makes me interested in hearing more of the label's artists. Nor can I possibly imagine how any of these guys are going to sell records, ring tones, songs, etc. Wale has the most potential, and sounds surprisingly good over southern style production (No Hands) but I'm not sure he's going to become some big star. Meek Mill is cool but I put him on Kweli status: has some dope verses but I'd rather hear him as a feature than on a full song. Pill...meh whatever, don't get the appeal.

The album has a lot of bangers, but most of them sound the same. Nothing stands out, and none of the songs have become hits on the street. Apparently the album is going to sell around 50k. Obviously that's good for a distribution deal, but I can't forsee bigger success for these guys.

DominoKid

Great article on Curren$y

not gonna post the whole thing because it's fucking Madbury Club and their articles are awesome and they deserve the hits.

http://madburyclub.com/music/2011/0...-the-most-innovative-rapper-of-our-generation

Wiz Khalifa: “Curren$y is like ahead of me I feel…”

Then Ski Beatz stops. Looks confused. Looks at the ceiling. Looks like he’s about to laugh. Then looks at Wiz as if he’s about to ask him whether he realizes Curren$y went certified cardboard on his last release while he himself is set to be raps next Snoop Dogg. But that’s besides the point.

It’s what Wiz Khalifa says next that really caught my attention.

“I feel like Spitta is ahead of the game. People might not get it till later though. And when they do they’ll be like ‘Holy shit!’ We’re just lucky enough to understand it now.”

That statement there made me stop. And usually I don’t listen to anything that comes out of Wiz Khalifa’s mouth. Be it rap, complete sentences, hair styling advice or interview responses, but this statement here struck me as important.

Could Wiz Khalifa possibly be onto something that the rest of us were glazing over in a fury of weed jokes and assumed indifference? Is Curren$y very consistently stringing together a small renaissance in rap over 21st century Camp Lo instrumentals and what is without doubt a one of a kind unique Southern flow?

HiResDes

I used to just play Trap Goin Ham and Ok Denn as high as possible all the time and get amped as fuck...But now I can barely stand listening to the guy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
PhoenixDark said:
Gave Self Made another spin. I feel Ross is a good rapper, I've liked his last two albums etc, but I wonder if he's rapidly approaching self parody status. Or "major rapper" parody status. He has his foot in the door, has some level of dominance over the "street banger" aspect of mainstream rap, and has has begun building his empire like Jay-Z and others did.

Very little on Self Made makes me interested in hearing more of the label's artists. Nor can I possibly imagine how any of these guys are going to sell records, ring tones, songs, etc. Wale has the most potential, and sounds surprisingly good over southern style production (No Hands) but I'm not sure he's going to become some big star. Meek Mill is cool but I put him on Kweli status: has some dope verses but I'd rather hear him as a feature than on a full song. Pill...meh whatever, don't get the appeal.

The album has a lot of bangers, but most of them sound the same. Nothing stands out, and none of the songs have become hits on the street. Apparently the album is going to sell around 50k. Obviously that's good for a distribution deal, but I can't forsee bigger success for these guys.

Very few "great rappers" have a good eye for talent.. 2Pac and the Outlawz.. Biggie and Jr mafia.. It mostly is the "meh" to "trashy" rappers like Birdman, Master P and so on who have more success finding good talent for whatever reason..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
I liked Crack a Bottle.

but then again i like Em and Dre's shitty attempts to make anthems
see: Encore feat. Dre/50
Yo Encore is the shit. That song is amazing. I liked Crack A Bottle too, but it was supposed to be pretty much Encore Part 2 and ended up nowhere near it's greatness.

Encore wasn't really an anthem, it's just a really good song.

Blackace said:
Very few "great rappers" have a good eye for talent.. 2Pac and the Outlawz.. Biggie and Jr mafia.. It mostly is the "meh" to "trashy" rappers like Birdman, Master P and so on who have more success finding good talent for whatever reason..
Jay? Actually hold that I'm not even sure if I'm ready to back that up because of Bleek.

Pill and Meek Mill should never be touted as increasing the quality of any label though..

Tokubetsu

DominoKid said:

not gonna post the whole thing because it's fucking Madbury Club and their articles are awesome and they deserve the hits.

http://madburyclub.com/music/2011/0...-the-most-innovative-rapper-of-our-generation

As one of the biggest Curren$y stans you'll ever meet, I love seeing him getting more love. I think if we had someone try to swagger jack Curren$y and fail utterly more people would take notice. Curren$y is one of few artists that I'll just blind buy anything he puts out at this point. Total saturation and 90% of it is quality.

Tokubetsu said:
As one of the biggest Curren$y stans you'll ever meet, I love seeing him getting more love. I think if we had someone try to swagger jack Curren$y and fail utterly more people would take notice. Curren$y is one of few artists that I'll just blind buy anything he puts out at this point. Total saturation and 90% of it is quality.
I cannot wait for Weekend At Burnie's.

DominoKid said:

It's impossible for me to explain Currency's dopeness. He injects himself into a beat in a way no other rapper does. He crawls in there and brings it alive - instead of some super lyrical rapper giving a beat no breath because he's rapid fire spitting over it.

Covert Coup is amazing. I don't know if he can top it this year, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does

Blackace

enzo_gt said:
Yo Encore is the shit. That song is amazing. I liked Crack A Bottle too, but it was supposed to be pretty much Encore Part 2 and ended up nowhere near it's greatness.

Encore wasn't really an anthem, it's just a really good song.

Jay? Actually hold that I'm not even sure if I'm ready to back that up because of Bleek.

Pill and Meek Mill should never be touted as increasing the quality of any label though..

Jay gets a bit of a pass.. but now as head of Def Jam he has other people around him to make those calls as well.. but of the so called "great tier" of rappers Jay seems to have been the best of finding and grooming new talent..

Forgot to add Ice Cube as huge failure of finding talent..

kamspy

Ross should have went after Tity Boy instead of Pill. Ross, Tity and Wale would be a pretty good group. He's overloading on B rappers right now.

Blackace

kamspy said:
Ross should have went after Tity Boy instead of Pill. Ross, Tity and Wale would be a pretty good group. He's overloading on B rappers right now.

He has B rappers?

kamspy

Well, I guess B is being a little too kind. C-, D rappers.

Wale is a good B rapper though. Yeah, Meek and Pill are probably in the D area.

Tity would have fit the Ross style really well.

Blackace

kamspy said:
Well, I guess B is being a little too kind. C-, D rappers.

Wale is a good B rapper though. Yeah, Meek and Pill are probably in the D area.

Turning the Tupac's back beat into an ok song instead of the 2011 and beyond banger it shoud be is a crime in some countries..

Afrocentric-Asian said:
On the subject of Curren$y, I recently checked out his song Scottie Pippen with Freddie Gibbs. Some good stuff, Alchemist is a great producer.
If you haven't already check out all of Covert Coup. Quality tracks right there. I'm still surprised that it was free.

nns3d

spindashing said:
If you haven't already check out all of Covert Coup. Quality tracks right there. I'm still surprised that it was free.

Gonna check it out right now, if the tracks are on the same level as Scottie Pippen then this should be great.

HiResDes

Man I wish I was feeling the new Jeezy more, the beats are great but he just doesn't seem to have the same energy he had during the trap-rap resurgence period.

Blackace

HiResDes said:
Man I wish I was feeling the new Jeezy more, the beats are great but he just doesn't seem to have the same energy he had during the trap-rap resurgence period.

It is his hooks.. they are super bad now. They weren't great before but they were catchy. YOU THINK YOU BALLIN CAUSE YOU GOT A BLOCK???? YOU THINK YOU BALLIN CAUSE YOU GOT A BLOCK?????

just lame..

Hey gaf dudes...still thinkin about a gaf mixtape. But....problem is whenever we try to do it, there is a disconnect between the producers and the MCs and shit never gets done. SO for the first round, to try and get something established and accomplished.....It's on the MCs, just pick any dope instrumental or loop from some rapper/hiphop artist that you like and spit some bars and submit.....like any other rappers mixtape.

lets see if we can get that off the ground and THEN start doing the gaf production + gaf emceeing.

what do yall think?

If so, I already got the instrumental im gonna use.

Tokubetsu

"With a handful of beans and a chest full of weed, got me singing about a bitch while I'm blowing out my steam/ Yeah, I know I got my issues why you think I fucking flow? and Imma keep on smoking until I can't hit another note..."

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Tokubetsu said:
"With a handful of beans and a chest full of weed, got me singing about a bitch while I'm blowing out my steam/ Yeah, I know I got my issues why you think I fucking flow? and Imma keep on smoking until I can't hit another note..."
So GDLK.

I'm on like 10 listens.

Meek Millz is probably the only thing Philly has left...

I remember when everyone in the city was all hype about Cassidy making it when in reality he's only a battle rapper that makes meh/shitty songs.

Blackace

Knux-Future said:
Meek Millz is probably the only thing Philly has left...

I remember when everyone in the city was all hype about Cassidy making it when in reality he's only a battle rapper that makes meh/shitty songs.

Eve shits all over Meek Millz

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Hey gaf dudes...still thinkin about a gaf mixtape. But....problem is whenever we try to do it, there is a disconnect between the producers and the MCs and shit never gets done. SO for the first round, to try and get something established and accomplished.....It's on the MCs, just pick any dope instrumental or loop from some rapper/hiphop artist that you like and spit some bars and submit.....like any other rappers mixtape.

lets see if we can get that off the ground and THEN start doing the gaf production + gaf emceeing.

what do yall think?

If so, I already got the instrumental im gonna use.

cmon hiphop gaf, whos down?

5774315068_7e68c1a516.jpg

All it takes it one viral hit to hit paydirt. Just ask Oakland-native Kreayshawn. The indie female rapper’s song “Gucci Gucci” went from youtube hit to hipster sensation in just a few months, sparking a bidding war with multiple labels. Today, insiders tell Miss Info that Kreayshawn has signed with Sony for over a million dollars. Will she live up to the hype? And if the music cant sell enough to justify the upfront payoff, does she have the presence to make the 360 degrees of shows and merchandise worthwhile?

O_O Wow.........I gotta admit the song is catchy as fuck....i killed the replay button lol

I bet you guys didn't think the west would comeback like this lmao

Oddfuture, lil b, Mann, Kreayshawn, etc.

The west coast is back. Without Dr. Dre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6WJFjXtHcy4
http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/kreayshawn-signs-million-dollar-deal-off-of-one-hit-gucci-gucci/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom