• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Hold on, what is that real? HAHAHAHA

Kotomi said:
What does "a handful of beans" mean?
Probably pills/drugs

The west coast is back without Dre

The west coast has been back, it was reborn in the form of Black Hippie

MisterRueler said:
Hey all, what are the best free mixtapes, EPs, etc. right now?

I already know Odd Future, Das Racist, The Weeknd, and Curren$y's Covert Coup.

V-Nasty ~ Just Taste Don't Bite

Tokubetsu said:
Keep dreaming if you think she'll A) Release an album and B) It will do well

she'll put out an album, and this song will be on radio in the next month, if they're smart.

but sony is known to fuck up with rap acts....50 Cent, Nas, etc.

Tokubetsu

ThePrivateCookie said:
she'll put out an album, and this song will be on radio in the next month, if they're smart.

but sony is known to fuck up with rap acts....50 Cent, Nas, etc.

And that'll be the last we hear of her as she proceeds to go wood but I doubt she cares. She just make a cool mill off some throwaway track she probably made with some friends.

Tokubetsu said:
And that'll be the last we hear of her as she proceeds to go wood but I doubt she cares. She just make a cool mill off some throwaway track she probably made with some friends.

Thats the same thing people said about soulja boy and he lasted until last year lol

07-10

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ThePrivateCookie said:
Thats the same thing people said about soulja boy and he lasted until last year lol

07-10

SB has some talent, and makes true club bangers.....

Tokubetsu said:
SJB had a dance. She doesn't. She's basically appealing to an even smaller crowd than Kid Sister with this crap.

nah i think white girl hip hop fanbase is relativity untapped, she can get the nicki minaj fans, the "i hate rap but, i love eminem" white fans (maybe lol) , the odd future, lil b, & soulja boy fans based on her connection.

and not every soulja boy song that blew up had a dance, "Turn My Swag On", "Kiss Me Thru The Phone", etc

hoodrats, kids, & young adults of all races with eat this up down south too lol

i can see her becoming a staple for atleast a year lol. sadly.

ThePrivateCookie said:
nah i think white girl hip hop fanbase is relativity untapped, she can get the nicki minaj fans, the "i hate rap but, i love eminem" white fans (maybe lol) , the odd future, lil b, & soulja boy fans based on her connection.

and not every soulja boy song that blew up had a dance, "Turn My Swag On", "Kiss Me Thru The Phone", etc

hoodrats, kids, & young adults of all races with eat this up down south too lol

i can see her becoming a staple for atleast a year lol. sadly.

Next you're going to tell us 50 Cent's album will go plat. fuckouttahere

Gucci Gucci has 1.3m hits on youtube. That's not even impressive when compared to past viral hits like SB or Teach Me How to Dougie. There's obviously room for more female rappers, but I've heard nothing from her that suggests she can do anything on the radio/sales.

Minaj enjoys the co-sign of the three biggest rappers in the world: Eminem, Wayne, and Drake. Might as well say the top four, since Kanye has done stuff with her. This white chick has what exactly? A record deal. She'll have her 15 minutes and get an article on Pitchfork before disappearing.

PhoenixDark said:
Next you're going to tell us 50 Cent's album will go plat. fuckouttahere

Gucci Gucci has 1.3m hits on youtube. That's not even impressive when compared to past viral hits like SB or Teach Me How to Dougie. There's obviously room for more female rappers, but I've heard nothing from her that suggests she can do anything on the radio/sales.

Minaj enjoys the co-sign of the three biggest rappers in the world: Eminem, Wayne, and Drake. Might as well say the top four, since Kanye has done stuff with her. This white chick has what exactly? A record deal. She'll have her 15 minutes and get an article on Pitchfork before disappearing.

LMAO why are you getting so mad? all i'm saying is there is a market for her in today's rap world, i'm not saying she'll gonna go platinum or anything damn lol

and nice shade you're trying to throw with the 50 cent line.....guess who has the most added song on radio this week & went double platinum with "Down On Me"...yup you guessed it lol

but thats an argument for another day, i don't feel like battling right now lol

DominoKid

Kreayshawn just got a big deal?

Amanda Blank and Uffie wept.

I got a nagging feeling she's gonna be around for a little while. If not as a rapper than as a personality. She got an odd charm like that.

Tokubetsu

DominoKid said:
Kreayshawn just got a big deal?

Amanda Blank and Uffie wept.

I got a nagging feeling she's gonna be around for a little while. If not as a rapper than as a personality. She got an odd charm like that.

Uffie too busy making EU club money, not giving a fuck.

Blackace

What?? That's crazy he was just posting a little bit ago :(

No but really that is a damn shame, I hope all is well with him and his loved ones..

ThePrivateCookie said:
LMAO why are you getting so mad? all i'm saying is there is a market for her in today's rap world, i'm not saying she'll gonna go platinum or anything damn lol

and nice shade you're trying to throw with the 50 cent line.....guess who has the most added song on radio this week & went double platinum with "Down On Me"...yup you guessed it lol

but thats an argument for another day, i don't feel like battling right now lol

50 won't have a #1 hit song on his album, write it down lmao

PhoenixDark said:
50 won't have a #1 hit song on his album, write it down lmao

he already had a #4 hit this year though......he had a #1 in 09 too...thats a dumb bet to make in the itunes sales age where people buy whatever is spinning on radio.

i'll save that qoute lol

oh and i hope sean k is ok....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't say I'm a fan of Sean Kingston but best wishes for dude's health.

The west is rapidly approaching dead status in my eyes. Everytime I hear a rapper out of there, they make 2-3 hot songs, manufacture some hope, then go and make wack shit for months on end until they fade into irrelevancy. Many of them already holding irrelevant status while releasing those hot songs. A ton of people with potential and talent, that ultimately goes underused, or they can't hone it and are too busy trying to maintain respect on their own block rather than expanding. A lot of hype builds like they're going to save the west and they all fall flat. What's stopping Lamar from sufferring the same fate Nipsey Hussle did, and Glasses did, and Jay Rock did, and biggie Guerilla Black (okay there was no hype at all for this guy lets be honest) did... Every artist out of the West should be fucking mindblowing but they're just alright. I mean, ima try and give Schoolboy Q a shot but I doubt it'll do it for me, way too many disappointments out of the west coast in the past.

C'mon GAF, can y'all actually name someone who's going to usher in a new West Coast era? Shoes are too big to fill. I await the day we get a renaissance of West Coast rap over the airwaves. Has the time just passed for West Coast rap? No labels are looking for that shit, and if they are it's just club joints. Game was the last person who had a shot at it I think, and he fucked up (unless somehow the RED album is godlike, but even still Game has lost mainstream ground). Maybe I'm just spoiled from NWA, 2001, and the shit that got me into rap, but everything seems to pale in comparison. Mumble grumble.

HiResDes, your not allowed to reply to this because we all know your just a viral marketer for the Black Hippies movement.

TheOddOne

HiResDes said:
I used to think Pill had a lot of potential...I don't know what the fuck I was thinking
Thank god somebody said it, because I wasn't feeling his mixtape. He sounded like a dime a dozen rapper to me.

enzo_gt said:
Can't say I'm a fan of Sean Kingston but best wishes for dude's health.

The west is rapidly approaching dead status in my eyes. Everytime I hear a rapper out of there, they make 2-3 hot songs, manufacture some hope, then go and make wack shit for months on end until they fade into irrelevancy. Many of them already holding irrelevant status while releasing those hot songs. A ton of people with potential and talent, that ultimately goes underused, or they can't hone it and are too busy trying to maintain respect on their own block rather than expanding. A lot of hype builds like they're going to save the west and they all fall flat. What's stopping Lamar from sufferring the same fate Nipsey Hussle did, and Glasses did, and Jay Rock did, and biggie Guerilla Black (okay there was no hype at all for this guy lets be honest) did... Every artist out of the West should be fucking mindblowing but they're just alright. I mean, ima try and give Schoolboy Q a shot but I doubt it'll do it for me, way too many disappointments out of the west coast in the past.

C'mon GAF, can y'all actually name someone who's going to usher in a new West Coast era? Shoes are too big to fill. I await the day we get a renaissance of West Coast rap over the airwaves. Has the time just passed for West Coast rap? No labels are looking for that shit, and if they are it's just club joints. Game was the last person who had a shot at it I think, and he fucked up (unless somehow the RED album is godlike, but even still Game has lost mainstream ground). Maybe I'm just spoiled from NWA, 2001, and the shit that got me into rap, but everything seems to pale in comparison. Mumble grumble.

HiResDes, your not allowed to reply to this because we all know your just a viral marketer for the Black Hippies movement.

I think that old g-funk sound you love is dead, and the black hippie movement IS the new west coast sound.....lol

there is a reason those dudes didn't blow up/fell off....they were living off the legacy of the past and not bringing anything new to the table

well this is probably the closest thing you'll get to that sound right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjLXxrNmD0

The west is thriving, just not on the radio. Too many west coast rappers seem to feel their identity is solely rooted in Dre era shit, which is clearly outdated. You don't hear a bunch of NY rappers trying to make hits by replicating Diddy era sounds. All the other regions have adapted as music changed. NY is still grumpy/hesitant, but they get a big hit every now and then like Beamer Benz Bentley.

There's so much awesome indie shit coming out of the west, and has been for some time. Although I'm kinda surprised that a state that big hasn't produced a light skinned soft ass rapper to sing/rap his way up the charts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThePrivateCookie said:
I think that old g-funk sound you love is dead, and the black hippie movement IS the new west coast sound.....lol

there is a reason those dudes didn't blow up/fell off....they were living off the legacy of the past and not bringing anything new to the table

well this is probably the closest thing you'll get to that sound right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjLXxrNmD0
It doesn't have to be the same G-Funk style, but just something substantial, consistent, and successive. I'm not talking a retro throwback kind of phase, but a renaissance, a reinvention of the West. I guess I'm just not feeling new West as much as everyone else is. Maybe I'm salty cause Overly Dedicated wasn't as crazy good as it was hyped up to be.

...that song is pretty nice though.

HiResDes

dr-dre-kendrick-lamar-lakers-game.jpg

Skeme, Dom Kennedy, Shabazz Palaces, Versis, Blu, Overdoz., Pac Div, U-N-I, Strong Arm Steady, Stevie Crooks, and Self Scientific all beg to differ

IrishNinja said:
MACK TEN...FO LYYYYFE

before Bone Thugs, Eazy was a candidate for that list, too. also, Budden got punked.

FALSE. Eazy signed the black eyed peas, or at least will.i.am from what i remember, and he found dr. dre, ice cube, and the rest of those dudes. Eazy was a master mind.

Blackace

IrishNinja said:
MACK TEN...FO LYYYYFE

before Bone Thugs, Eazy was a candidate for that list, too. also, Budden got punked.

Eazy made NWA.. so, don't see how he failed.. tried to sign Quik as well..

HiResDes

I sincerely think Lamar is the best upcoming lyricist in the game. Danny Brown is close, but he's insane in an entirely different way.

IrishNinja

didnt know about will.i.am, and i never heard him credited with all of NWA either. i just recall working a record store with several albums of his pre-Bone Thugs flops. shit was embarrassing like those early cash money album covers.

Tokubetsu

I only really like Schoolboy Q out of the whole Black Hippy movement. He has just the right amount of enthusiasm and dontgiveafuck attitude to make it work.

Recon

Banned
overcast said:
He's up there for me. But I'm a Cole dude. That (potential) collab is going to be insane.

Yeah, i like lamar, but Cole is on another level for me. But if that collabo comes together, then that will probably be album of the year for me.

Nitsuj23

HiResDes said:
I sincerely think Lamar is the best upcoming lyricist in the game. Danny Brown is close, but he's insane in an entirely different way.
I agree 100% with the Lamar statement, even bought the HiiPoWeR shirt haha.

Haven't heard much of Danny Brown, that's high praise though. Where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom