• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis Kim

Banned
GAF-HOP, help me.

There's this song from an album I downloaded ages ago that I can't remember the name to, nor where I left it in my computer.

It was specifically a videogame sampling album, but the one song that stood out for me used Double Dragon, and I'm willing to believe that that was even the song title.

I've spent the last half-hour searching around, and I've come up empty handed.

All I remember was that the album cover was incredibly busy with color :S

I don't remember the album itself being particularly phenomenal, but that one song kinda stuck, though I think it was more thanks to DD itself than not. Did a search, and I think I may have only had it in zip form and lost it when I formatted my hdd :/

I think the lyrics to the song possibly had something to do with growing up and dealing with stuff.

ThePrivateCookie said:
5774315068_7e68c1a516.jpg

O_O Wow.........I gotta admit the song is catchy as fuck....i killed the replay button lol

I bet you guys didn't think the west would comeback like this lmao

Oddfuture, lil b, Mann, Kreayshawn, etc.

The west coast is back. Without Dr. Dre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6WJFjXtHcy4
http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/kreayshawn-signs-million-dollar-deal-off-of-one-hit-gucci-gucci/

Dre never had the West Coast, and never will. This girl could fill a void that Lily Allen and Kid Sister, slacked on. Make more songs with catchy hooks, and she's good. She needs to be random like, Peaches("Fuck the pain away"...Greatest line she ever wrote)or Princess Superstar(Ahead of her time)Damn, I feel old mentioning Princess Superstar, love her records....Good times. EDIT-My bad, Princess Superstar actually has some skill.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ShinobiFist said:
Dre never had the West Coast, and never will. This girl could fill a void that Lily Allen and Kid Sister, slacked on. Make more songs with catchy hooks, and she's good. She needs to be random like, Peaches("Fuck the pain away"...Greatest line she ever wrote)or Princess Superstar(Ahead of her time)Damn, I feel old mentioning Princess Superstar, love her records....Good times. EDIT-My bad, Princess Superstar actually has some skill.

Dre is a former shell of himself these days but are you high saying he never had the west coast? Real talk.. What are smoking to come to that outlandish claim?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Its been really invigorating watching a former classmate soar so high. I just hope she gets a good manager, if she doesn't already have one.

And here I thought getting myself dropped into a continuation high school wouldn't have its merits :p

DominoKid

Ellis Kim said:
GAF-HOP, help me.

There's this song from an album I downloaded ages ago that I can't remember the name to, nor where I left it in my computer.

It was specifically a videogame sampling album, but the one song that stood out for me used Double Dragon, and I'm willing to believe that that was even the song title.

I've spent the last half-hour searching around, and I've come up empty handed.

All I remember was that the album cover was incredibly busy with color :S

I don't remember the album itself being particularly phenomenal, but that one song kinda stuck, though I think it was more thanks to DD itself than not. Did a search, and I think I may have only had it in zip form and lost it when I formatted my hdd :/

I think the lyrics to the song possibly had something to do with growing up and dealing with stuff.

I really hope its not this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQ9BynF-fY

lol

Blackace said:
Dre is a former shell of himself these days but are you high saying he never had the west coast? Real talk.. What are smoking to come to that outlandish claim?

Johnny J and DJ Muggz say otherwise. Dre would be nothing without his crew, nothing! Dude's like JJ made that West Coast sound what it is today. No wonder Suge had him do most of All Eyez on me album. Dre is a loop hogging fool and nothing more. Once he ran out of funk breaks to sample...My bad, loop. Homeboy exposed himself.

Detox

I'm down for that GAF-HOP Mixtape. I'm looking for a mic and I remember there were 2 posts in quick succession discussing setups for recording at home, can anyone find them or the guys who posted their setup post again please?

Blackace

ShinobiFist said:
Johnny J and DJ Muggz say otherwise. Dre would be nothing without his crew, nothing! Dude's like JJ made that West Coast sound what it is today. No wonder Suge had him do most of All Eyez on me album. Dre is a loop hogging fool and nothing more. Once he ran out of funk breaks to sample...My bad, loop. Homeboy exposed himself.

DJ Muggs says otherwise to what?

And regardless All Eyez on Me, Da Chronic and 2001 are all credited to Dre.. He put together the best teams to carry him at all times, from the DOC to JJ to Mike E.. The eye for talent is just as important for making classic albums, especially if you run a label. So what is your beef?

Jay Sosa

JackEtc said:
Been listening to Panacea the past few weeks.

Own Scenic Route and Ink in my drink, awesome stuff.

HiResDes said:
http://www.southernhospitality.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/WHEN-I-WAS-HIGH-INTERNET.jpeg

[B][URL="http://limelinx.com/files/bafe90d2b0d9419acb1a4554dd78f99f"]Nikkiya - When I Was High[/URL][/B][/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]´

Bought her last two albums yesterday, glad to see someone else like her.

Blackace said:
DJ Muggs says otherwise to what?

And regardless All Eyez on Me, Da Chronic and 2001 are all credited to Dre.. He put together the best teams to carry him at all times, from the DOC to JJ to Mike E.. The eye for talent is just as important for making classic albums, especially if you run a label. So what is your beef?
Half credit. That goes to Mel-Man. The man who MADE the aftermath sound. And you tend to forget that Lord Finesse was part of that project as well. My beef is, people tend to think he does everything dolo, when that's not the case at all. I understand you need a crew to make bangers and such, but when most of your bangers were done by your dude "Hitman" Snoop, Jay-Z(That's right folks)etc....You wack. By your logic, Puffy is GOD then.

Blackace

ShinobiFist said:
Half credit. That goes to Mel-Mel. The man who MADE the aftermath sound. And you tend to forget that Lord Finesse was part of that project as well. My beef is, people tend to think he does everything dolo, when that's not the case at all. I understand you need a crew to make bangers and such, but when most of your bangers were done by your dude "Hitman" Snoop, Jay-Z(That's right folks)etc....You wack. By your logic, Puffy is GOD then.

Puffy wasn't so bad back in the day, but didn't have the eye for talent Dre does.. What you say isn't a secret and nobody who knows hip hop thinks Dre created everything solo... Ice Cube created the NWA swagger and basically made Eazy-E, just like DOC made Snoop... But Eazy was Eazy and Snoop is dressing up like a Pixie in Kate Perry videos and people respect them.. Few people do everything, DJ Quik is one of the few...

Blackace said:
Puffy wasn't so bad back in the day, but didn't have the eye for talent Dre does.. What you say isn't a secret and nobody who knows hip hop thinks Dre created everything solo... Ice Cube created the NWA swagger and basically made Eazy-E, just like DOC made Snoop... But Eazy was Eazy and Snoop is dressing up like a Pixie in Kate Perry videos and people respect them.. Few people do everything, DJ Quik is one of the few...

Yes indeed. Same could be said about Too Short as well. Puffy Still looking for that "Star" since Ma$e. Was Ma$e his last superstar to carry the label?

Blackace

ShinobiFist said:
Yes indeed. Same could be said about Too Short as well. Puffy Still looking for that "Star" since Ma$e. Was Ma$e his last superstar to carry the label?

Too Short had a great eye for the sound he wanted.. I wished Ant Banks was still banging

Bad Boy is pretty washed up to me...

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
Own Scenic Route and Ink in my drink, awesome stuff.

´

Bought her last two albums yesterday, glad to see someone else like her.
Huh? Last two albums? I didn't think she had released her debut yet.

kamspy

Detox said:
I'm down for that GAF-HOP Mixtape. I'm looking for a mic and I remember there were 2 posts in quick succession discussing setups for recording at home, can anyone find them or the guys who posted their setup post again please?

I use a CAD u37 and Audacity and basically two track it. Well, it's not really two tracks since I layer the vocals a couple times and do some adlibs, but yeah, really basic. There are good tutorials on YouTube for normalizing and EQing your vocals. Results can be pretty clean for $50. Sure as hell sounds better then the stuff I recorded 12 years ago on $600 worth of real (cheap) kit. A plosive filter is $15 well spent for this set up too.

Detox

Tokubetsu said:
I bet you must feel silly with that username.
Dre got us OD on Chronic, 2001 and Detox is removing the toxins left behind. amirite?

:( I will judge Detox when I finally have the CD in my hands.

hie

Kimosabae said:
What about Myka himself?

Get "Haiku D'Etat" also. There are only a couple solo Myka records, I believe. I have a really old one with purple/gray cover and a drawing of his face. Can't remember the name. Try to find the Fat Jack comp and any of the Project Blowed stuff. He's all over that shit. Great MC.

nns3d

Tguy said:
These Hitler videos became so overdone so fast, but man sometimes it's still funny.

"We still have skylar grey" haha

"Bitch Tits?!" The Nate Dogg parts had me rollin'.

Speaking of Dre, did he ever release that Die Hard song?

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
Dre got us OD on Chronic, 2001 and Detox is removing the toxins left behind. amirite?

:( I will judge Detox when I finally have the CD in my hands.

That's cute, that you still think you'll ever get to hold it. Give in, lose all hope.

MickD

Hey ya'll, having trouble finding more music by "The Weekend"

Can you guys point me in the direction of a wiki or something? Not sure because there are a bunch.

Edit: found it, house of balloons :)

Jay Sosa

I just ordered 15 cds wuhaha..Isaac Hayes, Herbie Hancock, Roy Ayers and Quincy Jones all brand new for 5€ each is just way too good to miss

MickD said:
Hey ya'll, having trouble finding more music by "The Weekend"

Can you guys point me in the direction of a wiki or something? Not sure because there are a bunch.
He only has one mixtape called House of Balloons. Download it here.

Jay Sosa

Oh I thought you was talking about his other stuff since HOB was posted like a million times in this thread already.

Have fun, the tape is amazing.

JackEtc

So, as usual, I am always catching up with albums from the best era of hip-hop, which was before I was alive.

Just got Ice Cube's album, "The Predator". I already knew "It Was a Good Day" and "Check Yo Self".

This album is incredible.

kamspy said:
Kreayshawn is gonna work.

You know!
I gotta respect her because she knows the ultimate truth that Shakespeare was "historical" and had "swag" and also that Napoleon was "coming through with the swag".

JackEtc said:
So, as usual, I am always catching up with albuims from the best era of hip-hop, which was before I was alive.

Just got Ice Cube's album, "The Predator". I already knew "It Was a Good Day" and "Check Yo Self".

This album is incredible.

If by any chance you are working backwards through his catalogue, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted + Kill At Will & Death Certificate are going to blow you away. Both infinitely superior to The Predator

JackEtc

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
If by any chance you are working backwards through his catalogue, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted + Kill At Will & Death Certificate are going to blow you away. Both infinitely superior to The Predator

I wasn't really working backwards, but went and downloaded it because I had just watched Due Date, and didn't have Check Yo Self in my iTunes. But I'll go get both albums now, I'm always looking for hip-hop from the 80's/90's. Since I'm only 17, I was never exposed to this stuff, and I love it.

Is AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Kill At Will the same album? You said "both albums", so that's what I'm assuming, otherwise you listed 3 albums....

kamspy

JackEtc said:
I wasn't really working backwards, but went and downloaded it because I had just watched Due Date, and didn't have Check Yo Self in my iTunes. But I'll go get both albums now, I'm always looking for hip-hop from the 80's/90's. Since I'm only 17, I was never exposed to this stuff, and I love it.

Is AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and Kill At Will the same album? You said "both albums", so that's what I'm assuming, since you listed 3 albums....

Death Certificate is the main one you want.

Heh yeah I did word that a little stupidly
Kill At Will is a short 6 track EP that was released shortly after AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted.
Re-releases of AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted have always included the Kill At Will disc so I kinda see them as the same album now.
But yeah, get AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted LP, Kill At Will EP and Death Certificate LP and I can guarantee if you like The Predator you won't regret it!

Have you checked out any NWA yet?

JackEtc

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Have you checked out any NWA yet?
FUCK, that's right, I need to get NWA. I only know a few songs by them (Express Yourself), and I remember telling myself to get some NWA stuff, but I never did.

What are the albums to get for NWA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom