• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

51x-aPEbhiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Damn I envy you!
With NWA it's pretty simple:

Straight Outta Compton [with Ice Cube]
Niggaz4Life [without Ice Cube]

both produced by both Dre and Yella. Straight Outta Compton is an amazing album for sure. As you're on a Cube kick that's the one to get for now. Try and get the 17 track version that ends with 'A Bitch Iz a Bitch'.
There's a few other tracks by them scattered around but really, just get the 17 track first album for now and play it over and over :)

overcast

Just listened to this:
51Q8cI7SYiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Really dope. Album has a great feeling to it. It was recommended earlier in this thread. Listen to it if you haven't.

Does Sene have anything else?

Jay Sosa

Speaking of the non existing WC scene..Coss released a tape with stuff that didn't make the album, im sure HRD will post it sometime soon.

Just saw the new CB video..which asshole cleared the Human Nature sample?

Jay Sosa

Jacked from 2dz (duh)

The good folks at NahRight were asked to drop the precursor to the West Coast spitter’s Before I Awoke album (which drops June 21st), which features all-new cuts that didn’t make the album’s final cut. Nice playlist for your Memorial Day. Tracklist and link down bottom.

Sorry for the big ass pic, at work and too lazy to search for a smaller one.

Loved Revelations so I assume this one is good as well.

EDIT: click the pic for link or right here

JackEtc

Alright, finished listening to Straight Outta Compton.

It was.....okay. I didn't really enjoy it. I can't really put my finger on why at the moment, but I think it was that (to me) all the songs sounded too similar for my tastes, and a little too repetitive in each song. I could honestly barely tell the difference between most of the rappers, they all had the same style, unlike groups like the Wu-Tang Clan, who I can really tell the difference between.

It just didn't appeal to me, I suppose.

Jay Sosa

DominoKid said:
http://cookedcraic.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/dip-set-di-1.jpg

Absolutely classic. Dipset was mostly all hype and noise, but this the one time they truly delivered.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvxC8rofjs"]Dipset Anthem[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icw9F-M9NAQ"]I Really Mean It[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnjXM2TgzRw"]I'm Ready[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi8olUYeF4"]More Than Music[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlJbwjcJKI"]I Love You[/URL][/QUOTE]

eh I liked From me to U a lot more, DI has a lot of filler songs and Jim Jones shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a mic. He does has some [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dqF_6H2ou8"]nice verses[/URL] but overall he's one of the worst ever. His Church album is pretty nice though.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTVec19VPw"]Top 5 beat of all times[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cb0h4Jlx70"]DIPSET DIPSET DIPSET[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_WrDT7FCaM&playnext=1&list=PLB8F57CA8C270AE2E"]One Day[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPAMYVPvE3s&feature=related"]Rain Drops[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCLZSh8DNuo&feature=related"]Down[/URL]

DominoKid

definitely love FM2U. but my favorite Juelz album is What The Game's Been Missing. i thought he was gonna become a star after that album. everybody else was bumpin Tha Carter 2 a month later, but I wore that album out.

yeah I definitely missed the boat rolling with Juelz.

kamspy

DominoKid said:
2 CHAINZ!!!!

Ferrari Boyz bout to be right.

Tity don't get enough love on GAF.

I put 2 Chainz rename on the same shelf as Mike Bigga. LOL. Nah, I been listening to Tity Boy for years.

kamspy

I'm all over some Juiceman for next week. For summer. Overrated as hell unless you own a pool or live by a beach.

EDIT:

I'm a jack boy / you a jack ass / you must dress in the dark with yo tacky ass.

-Gucci Mane

fireflame

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Dre has been trolling us all, Detox will be a classic and hiphopgaf will implode.

That Jeezy poster is hilarious, only way his overrated ass could get me to listen to anymore of his bullshit is to use that as an album cover.

siddx

Just saw all the dipset love up there. I remember when DI dropped, my college was filled with idiots screaming dipset at each other every 5 seconds.
Diplomats were a classic example of how great production can make a dope album regardless of how weak the rappers are.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
JackEtc said:
Alright, finished listening to Straight Outta Compton.

It was.....okay. I didn't really enjoy it. I can't really put my finger on why at the moment, but I think it was that (to me) all the songs sounded too similar for my tastes, and a little too repetitive in each song. I could honestly barely tell the difference between most of the rappers, they all had the same style, unlike groups like the Wu-Tang Clan, who I can really tell the difference between.

It just didn't appeal to me, I suppose.

Wow... just horrible..

DominoKid

I was in the 7th grade when DI dropped. I picked it up for $7 the week it came out just cause it was on sale. A doubledisc for 7 bucks? why not

I live in NC so everybody around here was just rocking the typical Southern shit. So I felt like I was in enemy territory every time I tried to rock it cause wasnt nobody else trying to hear it.

Nothing could get me hype like that album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Acid08 said:
On a hard ass Ye kick right now. Poetry.
It's a lifestyle, man.

Also, I fucking love those two albums TheOddOne and DominoKid posted. Dipset for LIFE. What The Game's Been Missing is awesome, and I say it every few pages. There can never be enough Dipset love.

The intro is incredible too. That beat god damn.. Now that I got your attention.. I'm what the game's been missing.

I SAID ITS DIPSET BITCH.

Blackace

DominoKid said:
I was in the 7th grade when DI dropped. I picked it up for $7 the week it came out just cause it was on sale. A doubledisc for 7 bucks? why not

I live in NC so everybody around here was just rocking the typical Southern shit. So I felt like I was in enemy territory every time I tried to rock it cause wasnt nobody else trying to hear it.

Nothing could get me hype like that album.

Funny thing is how they rapped, looked, and the beats they had I thought they were from the South at first..

mileS

I miss The Heatmakerz old beats.

all the dipset talk got me looking back through all my older music I have saved. Started listening to Beanie Sigel "The B. Coming" man that was a great album. It's a shame what happened to him really.

nns3d

JackEtc said:
*sigh* I knew I'd be flamed for that..... :(

I meant their style of rapping l. But it isn't worth arguing, I'll just be flamed more.

*exiled from gaf-hop*

Honestly, I preferred their solo albums (Eazy Duz It, Chronic, Death Certificate) over Straight Outta Compton.

Meh, Straight Outta Compton isn't that good, there I said it. They shocked kids, who then grew up to tell the world how amazing the group was.

east coast represent represent

TheOddOne said:
The Weekend is street hard compared to soft ass Drake. Softness overload.
How does The Weeknd have street credibility? Just because he does an assortment of drugs?

Also, it's spelled The Weeknd. For fuck's sake, people. It's the new Kayne/Kanye.

siddx

It's hard to go back to appreciate older albums like Straight Outta Compton if you didn't grow up with it. NWA came out just as I was expanding my love for hip hop and it has memories and emotions attached to it for me. As I am sure it does for others who heard it either when it first dropped, or within the years afterwards. 20+ years later, it's going to sound dated and yes, boring, to people who are just now coming to it. Hip hop has evolved and grown to such a degree that a lot of older hip hop sounds dull or simplistic. I never listened to Run DMC until much much later and I don't enjoy any of their music outside of down with the king because there are no memories to go along with the music. It just sounds like 2 dudes reciting simplistic nursery rhymes over barebones beats that a child with a casio could make. But I have no doubts that if I experienced them when they first dropped, I would feel different. Anything that I didn't experience when it was new and fresh during the 80's has a hard time appealing to me.

edit: thats not to say you can't appreciate these albums and bands for their history and impact. Nothing pisses me off more than people who have no respect for the people who paved the way. It's fine to not enjoy the music, but if you have no knowledge or respect for it, you can go back to listening to soulja boy and fuck right off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JackEtc said:
*sigh* I knew I'd be flamed for that..... :(

I meant their style of rapping l. But it isn't worth arguing, I'll just be flamed more.

*exiled from gaf-hop*
Its cool man, you can join me in the Unpopular-Opinions corner of GAF-Ho- WAIT YOU DIDNT LIKE STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON WHAT THE !@#$%^&*(

kamspy

I think Ice T pioneered a lot of the slower West Coast sound that The Chronic is attributed for. N.W.A. was really raw and about 10 bpm to fast for new listeners. That old NWA/Bomb Squad sound isn't a universal taste.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
Meh, Straight Outta Compton isn't that good, there I said it. They shocked kids, who then grew up to tell the world how amazing the group was.

east coast represent represent

Even the East coast had to make way for NWA and the west coast come up.. so don't hate.

Blackace

kamspy said:
I think Ice T pioneered a lot of the slower West Coast sound that The Chronic is attributed for. N.W.A. was really raw and about 10 bpm to fast for new listeners. That old NWA/Bomb Squad sound isn't a universal taste.

Most of SOC was 93 to 105 BPM which is what the chronic and older Ice T is...

I still mix Boyz-n-Hood and My 64 because I like to do it..

siddx

kamspy said:

It Takes a Nation didn't click with me at all, but fear of black planet lived in my cd player. I bought both at the same time in the late 90's.
I find that anything pre 90/91 that I didn't listen to when it first dropped I don't enjoy. But I am much more receptive to anything after that point. There was a definite drastic shift in sound in that era.

edit: also, Muse-Sick n Hour Mess Age and There's a Poison Going on are under-appreciated.

Blackace

kamspy said:
Boyz in the Hood was pretty much the breakthrough song to the new sound. Still bangs just as hard today.

A lot of the Eazy/NWA sound goes hard today... it is like they plucked shit from the future.

JackEtc

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Honestly, I preferred their solo albums (Eazy Duz It, Chronic, Death Certificate) over Straight Outta Compton.
PhoenixDark said:
Meh, Straight Outta Compton isn't that good, there I said it.
:D

enzo_gt said:
Its cool man, you can join me in the Unpopular-Opinions corner of GAF-Ho- WAIT YOU DIDNT LIKE STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON WHAT THE !@#$%^&*(
D:

Maybe Straight Out of Compton is just too early for me.

Detox

As a young listener who also didn't grow up on the older classics I found The Chronic, SOC and the PE stuff unlistenable at first. A few more plays and my ears tuned to their style. I love those albums now, Jack you should give the NWA albums a few more listens when it clicks their music is amazing. I now prefer the old classics over the shit that gets play on radio nowadays.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
It Takes a Nation didn't click with me at all, but fear of black planet lived in my cd player. I bought both at the same time in the late 90's.
I find that anything pre 90/91 that I didn't listen to when it first dropped I don't enjoy. But I am much more receptive to anything after that point. There was a definite drastic shift in sound in that era.

edit: also, Muse-Sick n Hour Mess Age and There's a Poison Going on are under-appreciated.
Public Enemy is MUCH hardest to digest in this day and age compared to NWA. NWA's best shit shit is nearly timeless. Public Enemy requires a bit more, context so to speak to fully appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom