• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
JackEtc said:
:D

D:

Maybe Straight Out of Compton is just too early for me.

Try buying the NWA greatest hits album. The fact it's a mix of both albums (plus some other stuff) gives it a more varied feel and in my opinion is much easier to digest.

siddx

Soul Creator, I like your voice, good stuff.

I'd be happy to offer beats for this mixtape project. I'm not very good put i'll put some up at some point and anyone is free to use them or ignore them.

edit: jesus, called soul creator trademark, fuck is wrong with me tonight.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
GAF-HOP, help me.

There's this song from an album I downloaded ages ago that I can't remember the name to, nor where I left it in my computer.

It was specifically a videogame sampling album, but the one song that stood out for me used Double Dragon, and I'm willing to believe that that was even the song title.

I've spent the last half-hour searching around, and I've come up empty handed.

All I remember was that the album cover was incredibly busy with color :S

I don't remember the album itself being particularly phenomenal, but that one song kinda stuck, though I think it was more thanks to DD itself than not. Did a search, and I think I may have only had it in zip form and lost it when I formatted my hdd :/

I think the lyrics to the song possibly had something to do with growing up and dealing with stuff.
bump

siddx

Ellis Kim said:

I remember the album you are talking about but I deleted it and can't for the life of me remember the name. Sorry man.

JEKKI

Ellis Kim said:
is it Game Over??

61oku7f8SIL._AA300_.jpg

u can find a digital copy of this record on emusic.

There's a part 2 also, but it's a little harder to find...

DaFish

JEKKI said:
is it Game Over??

61oku7f8SIL._AA300_.jpg

u can find a digital copy of this record on emusic.

There's a part 2 also, but it's a little harder to find...
I'v got both Game Over I and II on CD from way back... The first one is better from what I remember

Jay Sosa

siddx said:
Just saw all the dipset love up there. I remember when DI dropped, my college was filled with idiots screaming dipset at each other every 5 seconds.
Diplomats were a classic example of how great production can make a dope album regardless of how weak the rappers are.
i tried to teach my niece dipset dipset as first words..didnt work.

and neither cam nor juelz are weak.

siddx

Jay Sosa said:
i tried to teach my niece dipset dipset as first words..didnt work.

and neither cam nor juelz are weak.

Cam and Juelz are garbage rappers with charisma.

siddx

K so I uploaded all my older instrumentals first. The two last tracks (breathin hard and fuck me running) are actually my buddy/bandmate's beats. Everything else is stuff I did from 2001-2005. A handful are more recent (2008 era)
edit: oh and neverthat2 is something I did a few months ago, but I never got it quite...right. It's just ever so slightly off but I still really like it.

Yes it's older but I think some of it is actually really really good. The only reason I am less..."proud" I guess you could say...about them is that they are largely premade loop based. Basically I had thousands of 5 second or so drum/bass/synth/piano etc... loops and I stitched them together to make the songs. It still took talent and a good ear (as evidenced by all the people who tried to do the same thing with my program over the years and failed miserably). But later on I started making my own loops, at which point I looked back at these like a stepping stone to where I am now.

Regardless, I think some of these are really really good. I think I uploaded 28 tracks. 20 in a single set, another 4 in a separate set, and then some individual ones.
Also just a note, on the 20 track set (old cookies) the only copies I had left were on a CD that I strangely burnt with a crossfade on, meaning as the cd progressed, the crossfade got worse and worse, to the point the last few tracks have the beginning 10 seconds of so of the next track at the end. Annoying, but nothing I can do. And still usable.

Take em or ignore em. Use em or mock em. I'll probably upload more recent stuff at some other time.

FREE Instrumentals bitchtitties

http://soundcloud.com/missbreedz

Jay Sosa

siddx said:
I get computers puten

Thats all im gonna say.

Thats what I like about them. Not being lyrical and saying stupid shit doesn't mean their garbage. Flow is nice, technically their both sound, voices are unique, they're both funny and like you said charismatic. If Juelz would've played his hand right he could be as big as Wayne right now.

Btw. After listening to Apollo Kids a bit more I can absolutely see why some say it's one of the best albums of 2010, my second favorite GFK record for sure. Still think it would be even better without all the features.

IrishNinja

dont quote me boy, i aint said shit

ya'll really put the predator at the bottom of cube's classics?
check yo self, wicked, gangsta's fairytale 2, it was a good day...this is like on the gaming side when i front on FF VII and act like it wasnt my shit at its time.

that said, i bumped Lethal Injection way more. i can still get hyped over shit like you know how we do it (remix or no, love both versions), really doe, etc.

mooooose

siddx said:
Cam isn't a garbage rapper by any means, he has his "style" by choice and can MC his own with some NY greats. Juelz is more than competent and has only gotten much better.

All of Dipset runs on charisma though. They have enough charisma for all of NY.
Jay Sosa said:
If Juelz would've played his hand right he could be as big as Wayne right now.
This is so so soooooooooooooooooooo SO right. If Jim didn't fuck up Dipset after his success from We Fly High, Juelz was about to capitalize HARD on that shit with Wayne and I Can't Feel My Face. It would've been HUUUUUUUUUGE for him and Dipset. Close ties with Weezy after a hugely succesful album would've meant the world to his career. Now he's sitting on a mediocre album after 5 years of no output.

Also I forgot about old Weezy in Bape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beUWjPaaEg&NR=1

so dope

Cosmic Dreams said:
FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD, HIP HOP GAF HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS INDIVIDUAL?

Heard of him through my girlfriend's little brother. Great at making mixes. Give him a listen for all of you classic video game lovers out there:

http://soundcloud.com/teamteamwork
Yeah I heard about it a while back. Didn't give it a listen though cause video game music ain't my thing.

siddx said:

Hell fucking no. "Yeah, I must clown/I'm from Harlem Uptown/Were we flash money and take your bitch and ask you what now/" So harlem right there my dude. Typical uptown swag and truth in that verse.

IrishNinja

shinobis....you got crazier in your absence, man.

still working through your recommendations, oddisee and a few others were nice

JackEtc

Detox said:
As a young listener who also didn't grow up on the older classics I found The Chronic, SOC and the PE stuff unlistenable at first. A few more plays and my ears tuned to their style. I love those albums now, Jack you should give the NWA albums a few more listens when it clicks their music is amazing. I now prefer the old classics over the shit that gets play on radio nowadays.
I plan on listening to more NWA stuff, and giving SOC a few more tries. It's obvious that it's weird not liking them, so I'll give it some more of my time.

siddx said:
Try buying the NWA greatest hits album. The fact it's a mix of both albums (plus some other stuff) gives it a more varied feel and in my opinion is much easier to digest.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a listen.

Don't worry GAF-Hop, I will be redeemed!

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
shinobis....you got crazier in your absence, man.

still working through your recommendations, oddisee and a few others were nice
So you don't agree about Dipset being charismatic?...I do agree about Predator though

JackEtc

Cosmic Dreams said:
FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD, HIP HOP GAF HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS INDIVIDUAL?

Heard of him through my girlfriend's little brother. Great at making mixes. Give him a listen for all of you classic video game lovers out there:

http://soundcloud.com/teamteamwork
Team Teamwork is the shit, heard a DJ at PAX playing the Clipse/Zelda mix and fell in love. Super Nintendo Sega Genesis is awesome.

And the names he thinks of are brilliant. Ocarina of Rhyme? Vinyl Fantasy? Keep it up man, that's gold.

Man I'm listening to Deltron 3030 now for about the 20th time and I still don't really like it.
I love the production, Automator killed it on that front, that's what keeps me coming back but overall as an album, especially a concept album with it's type of narrative, I just can never really get into it.

Any fans of it here?

JackEtc said:
Don't worry GAF-Hop, I will be redeemed!

Heh don't take it so hard there are plenty of albums I feel are classics that were underwhelming on their first play.
It's true that a lot of stuff does need time to grow on you but, you know, perhaps you just don't dig it.
That's cool too, I've never rated Common or Tupac for example and I like a bit of everything

so I'm taking my 11 year old nephew to the movies yesterday and he's all, "man I want that Lasers album! Words I Never Said is the jam!"

And then later on, he's asking me, "what is the Gaza Strip?" And we actually had a short conversation about Israel and Palestine.

Did Lupe just make my nephew turn political? Truly, he is this generation's Public Enemy.

lol

illadelph

Regarding old school hip-hop and classic albums, I wasn't nuts about Illmatic or 36 Chambers the first time I heard them, but I liked them enough to try them again every now and then. Now they're among my favorite and most listened to albums.

Then there's other shit like Run-D.M.C. and Grandmaster Flash that I fell in love with right away. I don't know.

Not sure how many of you care about it but Kid Cudi was in a show on HBO called "How to Make it in Amerca." It basically was the tale of a couple of 20somethings in New York and how they all aim to make their dreams come true in such a big city. I recommend it to anyone and it's going to have a season 2 starting this September that I'm pretty hyped for.

Anyway.

Pusha T's facebook said:
On set at "How to Make it in America".
oh fck

Edit: But to contribute to the current conversation as far as old school albums, I too did not love 36 Chambers at first. (Gasp)

I was a late bloomer into Wu-Financial, and the first Wu-Tang album that I heard in its entirety was Wu-Forever. (Uhoh) Then I went back and listened to 36 Chambers and hated it at first.

But a few months later I came to love and appreciate 36 Chambers over Wu Forever.

kamspy

Man. I remember buying Illmatic when it was new. Cassette tape. From Hills. Played while I moved houses and drank wild cherry pepsi. Good times. Damn album still reminds me of moving and wild cherry pepsi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom