• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

man, how does reality check have so many fucking views? i'm still mad onebelo never followed up motu properly. =\

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
Well I know one thing. Dipset got the GOAT Rap City Freestyle

swag like that should be illegal
I have watched this shit nearly a thousand times. Fuck Drake and his blackberry, Cam be counting money while on the mic, those ain't rhymes on paper.

The Booth was the best thing about BET. As soon as Rap City got rid of the Tha Basement and Big Tigger I stopped watching it. /Brown guy.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
The Booth was the best thing about BET. As soon as Rap City got rid of the Tha Basement and Big Tigger I stopped watching it. /Brown guy.

I was pissed when they dropped Joe Clair and Big Les. The Basement was a compromise when it came out. When they dropped that, yeah, Rap City died.

To the people here making beats (doesn't really matter what program you use, I use Ableton):

How did you learn it? Did you follow a tutorial, did you study the program by yourself, ... Do you sample a lot or do you like making your own drum sounds? Do you use an external device such as a MPC?

I'm actually looking for good tutorials on making some nice beats. I'm tempted to put a lot of time and effort in it in the coming weeks, so I might as well do some research before I start.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
eravulgaris said:
To the people here making beats (doesn't really matter what program you use, I use Ableton):

How did you learn it? Did you follow a tutorial, did you study the program by yourself, ... Do you sample a lot or do you like making your own drum sounds? Do you use an external device such as a MPC?

I'm actually looking for good tutorials on making some nice beats. I'm tempted to put a lot of time and effort in it in the coming weeks, so I might as well do some research before I start.

I learned by banging my head against the wall for 12 years. Basically. I'm stubborn as hell so I never used tutorials. I started with a program called ejay which was very simple and limited compared to programs like abelton and reason, but extremely user friendly. It was very useful in learning the basics of how to construct a song. As time went on, I started using the built in drum machine to make my own drum loops. Then I started taking the premade bass/snyth/etc loops and putting them in an editor to tweak them and make them more original.
Then I switched to Reason. Which I am still trying to get the hang of.
I use a M-Audio keyboard that I spent 110 bucks on and is alright for what it is, gets the job done. But if I had more money laying around I'd get something nicer.

Early on, I tried to imitate songs a lot. I'd hear a beat I really like and study the drums, the bass, the piano and so on. And then I'd try to replicate it. As I did so, I started to realize why the producer did certain things in certain ways. Like why the snare was delayed slightly, or why the bass started a beat late and so on. It helped me see thats it's not just throwing neat sounds together and calling it a beat, things need to be tweaked. And thats where I am now with Reason, I spent time learning how to just use the program, and now I am learning how to tweak with this program.

siddx said:
I learned by banging my head against the wall for 12 years. Basically. I'm stubborn as hell so I never used tutorials. I started with a program called ejay which was very simple and limited compared to programs like abelton and reason, but extremely user friendly. It was very useful in learning the basics of how to construct a song. As time went on, I started using the built in drum machine to make my own drum loops. Then I started taking the premade bass/snyth/etc loops and putting them in an editor to tweak them and make them more original.
Then I switched to Reason. Which I am still trying to get the hang of.
I use a M-Audio keyboard that I spent 110 bucks on and is alright for what it is, gets the job done. But if I had more money laying around I'd get something nicer.

Early on, I tried to imitate songs a lot. I'd hear a beat I really like and study the drums, the bass, the piano and so on. And then I'd try to replicate it. As I did so, I started to realize why the producer did certain things in certain ways. Like why the snare was delayed slightly, or why the bass started a beat late and so on. It helped me see thats it's not just throwing neat sounds together and calling it a beat, things need to be tweaked. And thats where I am now with Reason, I spent time learning how to just use the program, and now I am learning how to tweak with this program.

Thanks for the words, man. I might be more inclined to learn it by myself too, but some tutorials could be useful to get on the right track.

SUPREME1

Banned
I caught the last 20 seconds or so of a song called "Chilling" by Dr. Dre and Swizz Beats this morning on Shade45.

Is this from Detox? Or is this some old shit I just never heard before?

Don't really have an opinion of the track, didn't catch enough of it.

I was hoping it might be Detox-related and that I would come in here and see a bunch of shit being posted by you fellas.

Like maybe it dropped or some shit. : (

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SUPREME1 said:
I caught the last 20 seconds or so of a song called "Chilling" by Dr. Dre and Swizz Beats this morning on Shade45.

I was hoping it might be Detox-related and that I would come in here and see a bunch of shit being posted by you fellas.

Unfinished/reference track Swizz made for Dre that leaked months ago. Think nothing of it. Shade45 even playing unofficial leaked shit? Weird.

TheOddOne

Did anyone ever see Camron's Killa Season movie? Words cannot describe how bad this "movie" was. If your bored, I mean really fucking bored, check the movie out on youtube.

KillaSeas_Poster.jpg

HiResDes

Whenever I feel like watching Cam'ron do his acting thing I'll pop in Paid in Full and laugh at the point where he's doing the dougie.

siddx

K.Jack said:
I was actually nodding to that one earlier.

Where was it going in the last five seconds though? That sounded like something sick was about to happen.

I'm interested in hearing some of your 2011 technology.

Thats from my dumbass using a crossfader when I burnt the tracks to CD. Thats the first couple of seconds of the next song on the CD, which is this, my piss poor attempt at a DJ Premier sounding beat.
http://soundcloud.com/missbreedz/08-make

I really need to get my shit together and get some of my newer stuff finished. I have a few darker beats that would probably suit, but I am having trouble putting the finishing touches on stuff.

DominoKid

"Young Based God on the news rocking CNN
Sucka wanna hate tell that nigga come and see me then" - Spirit of the Based God via DominoKid

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/24/lil.b.album/

(CNN) -- Brandon "Lil B" McCartney is no stranger to making bold statements.

In front of thousands of concert-goers at April's Coachella Music and Arts Festival, the 21-year-old rap artist announced that he would name one of his future albums "I'm Gay."

So, what's the big deal? Well, for starters, Lil B is not gay. And although it'd be easy to write him off as another performer trying to stir up controversy and gain popularity, he's already got the latter covered.

Like Soulja Boy and Justin Bieber, Lil B has almost single-handedly used the internet to put himself into the spotlight.

In a few short years as a solo artist without a major-label deal, Lil B has recorded almost 4,000 songs, gained over 200,000 Twitter followers and signed a touring deal with LiveNation. His YouTube videos have been viewed 28.7 million times and counting.

Lil B's supporters and fans laud him for his gender-defying self-proclamations that he's "pretty b----" and a "princess" while producing songs inspired by untraditional hip-hop topics like Miley Cyrus and Ellen DeGeneres. At the same time, a growing skepticism follows the artist, who some critics argue is full of himself and is more concerned with selling an image through hyperbolic claims than any music of substance.

Lil B says he saw the Coachella moment as a chance to bridge the differences between communities and spread his message of "loving."

"I think that (announcement) was so much bigger than he was," said Terrance Dean, a former MTV executive and the openly gay author of the book "Hiding in Hip-Hop." "That it was like seeing his future before it even actually happened."

While advocates in the LGBT community like Dean feel that Lil B is sincere, others like Lloyd "Gyant" Dinwiddie, a BET blogger of the year who is openly gay, aren't so sure.

"I don't want to take anything away from what I think he's trying to do," Gyant said of the album, which is set for release in a few months, according to Lil B. "I really do feel that it is less about social evolution, and it's more about making a name for yourself and selling your project."

Lil B sat down with CNN to talk about the inspiration for the title, the death threats that have followed and why he's the rap version of Lady Gaga. The following is a transcript of that interview.

CNN: What were you thinking when you named the album "I'm Gay?"

Lil B: It was something that was going through my mind for a while. I feel like I'm man of the people: meeting people, respecting people and accepting people. I hope that I can turn some of my fans that might be homophobic or supporters that might be homophobic and say, "You know what, we're all one people. This is love." It's just respect, and I did that to bring people together and bring more love and to spark the minds of people and not let words and judgments and stereotypes stop you from loving.

CNN: I read that you've gotten some death threats.

Lil B: Mainly, a lot of them are on Twitter, saying that they're going to kill me for being gay, and they're going to kill me for being homosexual even though I'm not homosexual. I don't like men. They're saying they're going to bash my head in. They're calling me f-----. That's all right, because I did this with the pure intention in my heart to help people, and I didn't do this for promotional reasons. I did because there needs to be someone brave enough to do it, brave enough to speak up and have the right reasonings of doing it.

CNN: What's your response to people who say this is all a gimmick?

Lil B: I'm not here just doing stuff just trying to do it or outsmart somebody and try to do something witty. I call myself the human sacrifice, because I look at it like, no one else is going to do it and push that line for the people, and I'm going to do it, and they're going to look at me and say, "Well, you know what? If that guy can do it, I can be myself too, and if that rapper can be himself and be free and be happy and still hold masculinity and love people and love flowers and just be happy being alive, well then, I can do that too."

CNN: You're big Twitter fan, and recently rapper Rhymefest tweeted that after he spoke to California artist Xzibit and listened to your music, his response was, "Homeboy needed a dad in his life."

Lil B: I'm going to say, who is Rhymefest? So he needs to work on promoting and marketing himself, because I don't know him. But what I feel about his comment is that it's true, I needed a father figure in my life, but I'm not complaining about that. What do you mean, I need that? Tell Rhymefest I'm very happy. Tell Rhymefest I actually wake up and I'm happy, and I'm positive and I love people. Ask Rhymefest, does he feel the same way?

CNN: How influential are your parents in your career, and what do they think about your music?

Lil B: I can say they're not very influential in my career, but I'm motivated; I work hard to show my mother that her child has a purpose. My father has played a part unconsciously when I was younger, which he probably didn't know,. But he was giving me a lot of good music, (and) my mother played a lot of good music. So I will always forever show respect to both of them on that. They might not be listening to my music all the time because there's stuff that they don't agree with. I don't expect them to agree with my language and stuff like that.

CNN: You've called yourself rap's Lady Gaga. Care to elaborate?

Lil B: It's just because I'm fearless. I have a huge support base of people that love me around the world: millions of fans and supporters and growing. You know what, it's just me putting what I want to put out and me just being an artist, a true artist to myself. I go to sleep happy. I wake up excited because I give the truth.

CNN: On Twitter, you threatened to sexually assault Kanye West if he didn't respond to your tweets. Why threaten Kanye West with sexual violence?

Lil B: You know, really, it's just my jokes. I have a funny sense of humor. If I was a comedian and I was up on stage, people would think that's funny, because I'm a funny comedian. I'm an entertainer. Throughout the years I feel if God promotes me to stay alive and have more years to live on Earth, which I pray and I would love to, people are going to see my personality, and they're going to see more of me and be able to understand me more.

CNN: Do you think of a lot of the hate/confusion is a generational thing?

Lil B: There's a disconnect because they want a disconnect. When you want to read the book, come read the book. When you want to come talk to me and be my friend, come talk to me. They want that disconnect. They want to seclude themselves. The generation gap, they don't want to understand.

CNN: What's your response to folks who say you've pushed the progression of hip-hop back a few steps?

Lil B: They're just not paying attention fully, and I forgive them. Not everybody has time to pay attention fully, or not everybody has the time to read a book. Some people refuse to read books, and I'm just an unread book. Open me!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He has a touring deal with LiveNation AND hes on CNN? Applaud this man's grind.

Saying "Who is Rhymefest?" in an interview is one of the most stole cold burn statements made in a professional interview hahaa. Chalk it up as another L, Rhymefest.

Esch

Banned
CNN: what do you think about people calling this a gimmick

Lil B: i'm a big fucking bag of gimmicks at this point. my life is a gimmick.

siddx

ReconYoda said:
You got any soft piano or guitar type beats? Im looking to do a song that would definitely be great with a minimalistic beat.

Tainted

And this is actually a new beat, made with Reason. It's very minimal, just drum loop, bass, strings. I actually had one more thing I was going to add to it that would transfer over into the hook (which is just the drum loop right now) so if you think it's too simple I can add that.)
Nomo

This is also a recent beat made with Reason. It's very minimal as well, however I think it's a little too sinister for what you are looking for. Very moody though.
Wutwhenwhere

I have some unfinished beats that may fit the bill too

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Action Bronson – Imported Goods (Falside Remix)

http://nahright.com/news/2011/05/31/action-bronson-imported-goods-falside-remix/

Hulkshare is back up, but now it has changed. How the hell do you DL now?
Exactly the same as before? Black and green button on upper left. I don't see any difference in that or the sites.

And On Beans:
I was explaining the whole Roc-A-Fella shit and a lot of feelings were going to get hurt. I was airing shit out. Just the homies could listen to that when they come into the studio. I couldn’t put that out. It wouldn’t sit right with me.
So basically, Jay hurt your feelings and you cried it out for press, and now that your irrelevant again, your inverting the tactic to get back in the news. Same song and dance. Go away Beans, J. Cole is sleeping on the pull out couch now.

Why is a radio station playing a reference track anyways? Are they that dried up of actual music to play?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
SUPREME1 said:

It finally made Shade rotation? o_O They been playing it on Hip Hop Nation for a good 2 months now.

siddx

HiResDes said:
WutWhenWhere and The Twat are right up my ally.

I have two more similar tracks I made with Reason that are actually pretty much finished, I just need to re-export them with a better equalizer. I'll reupload when I get that done.

ForThem2
stobbac

both are two of my favorite current beats.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Tainted

And this is actually a new beat, made with Reason. It's very minimal, just drum loop, bass, strings. I actually had one more thing I was going to add to it that would transfer over into the hook (which is just the drum loop right now) so if you think it's too simple I can add that.)
Nomo

This is also a recent beat made with Reason. It's very minimal as well, however I think it's a little too sinister for what you are looking for. Very moody though.
Wutwhenwhere

I have some unfinished beats that may fit the bill too

Awsome, exactly what i was looking for.

IrishNinja

HiResDes said:
So you don't agree about Dipset being charismatic?...I do agree about Predator though

see, i won't get into it IRL with dipset stans, cause ive not really spent enough time with their music to say, but nothing ive heard from cam, much less santana, ever really impessed me.

siddx

ReconYoda said:
Awsome, exactly what i was looking for.

Nice, I had a few more...but they were kind of corny. They were my attempts at making happy beats and that is always a challenge for me lol

Tguy said:
Nice beats man, going to try to listen to most of them now.

I'm really liking that 9ine beat a lot

9ine was one of those beats that I made years ago and didn't listen to again until recently at which point I went "holy shit, I was actually pretty damn good back then" haha.

ReconYoda said:
Im gonna use FORTHEM2 and TAINTED if ya dont mind, im in love with those. They fit my projects theme very well.

Not at all, everything up there is free for anyone to use. I like that you picked one of my older tracks that I always had a fondness for (tainted), and one that I made just a few weeks ago that is one of my new favorites (forthem). Also if you find you could use a slightly higher sound quality version of forthem let me know. I forgot to switch the equalizer from standard to hiphop, which usually ups the volume a few ticks.

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
see, i won't get into it IRL with dipset stans, cause ive not really spent enough time with their music to say, but nothing ive heard from cam, much less santana, ever really impessed me.
I don't know if you didn't listen to Diplomatic Immunity, Purple Haze, Back Like Cooked Crack and Diplomatic Immunity 2 right when they came out maybe those albums wouldn't have the same affect on you. Personally I think I'd have to put the first Diplomatic Immunity in my top 25 favorite albums of all time list if I were being honest...But I'm rarely honest whenever I make a list.

Edit: Even Writer's History in the Making was straight fire...Oh and the Writer's Blocks OMG!

Hootie

Cudi said on his Tumblr that at 10pm he's going to debut something. Guess we'll find out what it is in about 50 minutes

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hootie said:
Cudi said on his Tumblr that at 10pm he's going to debut something. Guess we'll find out what it is in about 50 minutes
pleasebeakidnamedscottpleasebeakidnamedscottpleasebeakidnamedscott

siddx

Recon, I got one more brand new beat that might fit.
It's real chill, minimal, has a soft piano, and a harp/sitar/guitar sounding instrument. Only reason I hesitate is because of the second piano I put in the hook. Opinions vary from "it's fine" to "what the fucking fuck is that? It sounds awful". But the rest of the beat imo is fantastic. If you like it enough but are one of the people who can't stand the second piano during the chorus I can just take it out or change it up. Or you can just tell me to burn it and never look back lol, its all good.

ALW

enzo_gt said:
pleasebeakidnamedscottpleasebeakidnamedscottpleasebeakidnamedscott
It'll probably be just one track that's slated to be on either his 2 Be Continuum project or A Kid Named Scott.

Either way, it'll be great to have new Cudder material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom