• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Loving this song right now, if you like south florida hip hop, you'll prob like this (great music video too):

Brisco, Lee Major, C-Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8d6tV_tMOo&feature=player_embedded#!

edit: track is catchy as hell, but definitely doesn't deserve to be at the top of any page on this thread :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
Is 'Monster' anything to go by? If so, I agree.
Wait, so now Nicki's 3-4 good verses in the history of her shitty career make her a better rapper than the wealth of good Drake verses?

*scratches head* Guess it's hype.

Jay Sosa

enzo_gt said:
Wait, so now Nicki's 3-4 good verses in the history of her shitty career make her a better rapper than the wealth of good Drake verses?

Nah I guess you didn't notice but Drake is the worst rapper to ever walk on this earth. Basically what Wayne was 2 years ago. And Eminem before that and so on..

Btw. Someone posted something about that awesome Novel mixtape: This track reminded me how brilliant Papoose is:

So much more

WTF happened to him? I remembered he signed a pretty big contract, battled with Fat Joe (I think) and then suddenly disappeared from the face of this earth.

Goddamnit listen to him riding this beat, in fucking credible. :D

Nick Cannon has created a facebook page challenging Eminem to a boxing match. Nick Cannon tweeted,”Nick vs Eminem: The Challenge Has Been Made!” Nick Cannon’s site states:

"The time has come! Boys talk the talk, but men walk the walk. Nick has laid down the challenge to meet Eminem in the ring. Nick and the rest of the crew on Rollin’ think it’s time for the feud to be over once and for all. And to draw Slim Shady out of hiding, Nick has decided to do it all for charity."

what

PBY

Banned
spindashing said:

Nick Cannon has created a facebook page challenging Eminem to a boxing match. Nick Cannon tweeted,”Nick vs Eminem: The Challenge Has Been Made!” Nick Cannon’s site states:

what
I would walk across the entire country to see this

Don't get the Kno love. His production is good but pretty standard imo, and his samples aren't particularly interesting.

Madlib and Exile are ahead of everyone imo. Damu also deserves props

PhoenixDark said:
Don't get the Kno love. His production is good but pretty standard imo, and his samples aren't particularly interesting.

Madlib and Exile are ahead of everyone imo. Damu also deserves props

Madlib's beats feel soulless to me. They're good, but I don't get any sense of what he was trying to convey with them when I listen most of the time. I agree on Exile, though, he's extremely talented.

Da Fish said:
I think I'm feeling the first link you posted a lot more.

This is probably more in line with your tastes then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xi_amm31Wg

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Madlib's beats feel soulless to me. They're good, but I don't get any sense of what he was trying to convey with them when I listen most of the time. I agree on Exile, though, he's extremely talented.

He's got so much stuff it really varies. Oftentimes his production albums are kinda hit and miss, with a lot of beats that are just...there; wouldn't call it soulless, simply thrown together in a drug induced lazy spurt. But when he's on the ball he can't be stopped.

Exile is definitely more consistent imo. The thing I really like about both of them is how versatile their sampling is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt33wnUXhbU

Nabs said:
madlib...soulless... doesnotcompute.

Maybe soulless is a bit harsh, but I rarely get a sense of any feeling he's trying to convey or purpose to the music. His beats often feel like they exist just to exist, if that makes sense. More of experiments with sounds than a cohesive product.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Maybe soulless is a bit harsh, but I rarely get a sense of any feeling he's trying to convey or purpose to the music. His beats often feel like they exist just to exist, if that makes sense. More of experiments with sounds than a cohesive product.

ehh
2wfhj66

HiResDes said:
9th Wonder...Where is the love?

9th Wonder is overrated imo. Very boring, predictable production with the same drums and he hasn't evolved. Phonte was right about him.

It's 2010 and he's still producing like it's 2002, speeding up soul samples and shit. Can't believe he's being compared to Premier and Pete Rock, teaching hip hop classes etc.

enzo_gt said:

Drake is nothing but Lil Wayne with more pop sensibilities. You can tell both Drake and Nicki Minaj have been under Wayne's tutelage, but at least Minaj is starting to develop her own style. Her early shit was stupid, sure, but if she keeps up on the path shes on right now shes gunna be a fucking beast. Drake, on the other hand...

And since we're talking producers, I'd list my faves but I have far too many. I usually watch producers more than I do rappers. Though I will say El-P is criminally underrated.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
Drake is nothing but Lil Wayne with more pop sensibilities. You can tell both Drake and Nicki Minaj have been under Wayne's tutelage, but at least Minaj is starting to develop her own style. Her early shit was stupid, sure, but if she keeps up on the path shes on right now shes gunna be a fucking beast. Drake, on the other hand...
You guys are crazy...She'll never be a beast at anything besides stuffing booty pads under her hot pants.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Pinko Marx said:

And since we're talking producers, I'd list my faves but I have far too many. I usually watch producers more than I do rappers.

Am I insane to believe that Niki is going to be the new Missy? Her delivery reminds me of Missy. I don't know, I thought she was going to be the new Lil Kim, but she is seemingly more like Missy. Who knows.

HiResDes said:
You guys are crazy...She'll never be a beast at anything besides stuffing booty pads under her hot pants.

I don't see how you can like Drake but hate on Nicki. I honestly don't get it. Bitch can rap. Her image is annoying, but she has killed any song shes been featured on recently.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
I don't see how you can like Drake but hate on Nicki. I honestly don't get it. Bitch can rap. Her image is annoying, but she has killed any song shes been featured on recently.
I don't like Drake...I just like Room For Improvement.

Tokubetsu

dskillzhtown said:
Am I insane to believe that Niki is going to be the new Missy? Her delivery reminds me of Missy. I don't know, I thought she was going to be the new Lil Kim, but she is seemingly more like Missy. Who knows.

No, I definitely think you're spot on. Her delivery is hitting Missy circa 1998 (Supa Dupa FLy Era) territory right now.

Tokubetsu said:

Second official leak off Kno's album, "La Petite Mort (Come Die With Me)"

Kno knocks it out the fucking park...AGAIN. This album is gonna be phenomenal.

Am I the only one fucking loving this? ='(

HiResDes

This probably was posted a while ago, but I just started bumping it hard...Can I take back what I said about the best female MC's and erect her to the top of the list:

Ra_cvr_v2-01-e1283263338331.jpg

DL LINK

...Also features some incredible fucking production, incredibly diverse and dope, not one single mediocre track (besides maybe Pricey) :D

This is also pretty ill:

20100923-JLATELY.jpg

DL LINK

...Will come back with Mickey Factz impressions later, so far not so good.

HiResDes

Okay, after a second listen in the car I think this tape goes pretty hard...It's a bit overproduced, but maybe that's a blessing because it seems like the production >> Mickey Factz. Very different sounding, definitely along the lines of Gilbert Forte's last tape, but a little less poppy.

imbetterthanyou1.jpg

1. Diamond Dust (Prod. By Mickey Factz)
2. I’m Better Than You feat. Steve-O (Prod. By Don Cannon)
3. Legend (Prod. By Precize)
4. Paradise Remix feat. Fat Joe & Bun B (Prod. By Precize)
5. iLL feat. Nakim (Prod. By Precize)
6. Showing Love feat. Count Jus (Prod. By Precize)
7. Light Up
8. Empty Bottle (Prod. Sean C & LV)
9. Interlove (Prod. By Mickey Factz)
10. Friend Zone feat. Redd Stylez & Lundon (Prod. By Count Jus)
11. Again (Prod. By Steven Linde)
12. Mona Lisa feat. Chester French & Kara Rose (Prod. By Precize)
12.5 Da as Mickey Factz
13. Trinity (Prod. By Soundsmith For Soundsmith & Neenyo)
14. Get By feat. Big K.R.I.T. (Prod. By Big K.R.I.T.)
15. Skyscraper (Prod. By Precize)
16. Melodic Nightmares (Prod. By M83)
Bonus Track – Mind Got Blown feat. B.O.B. (Prod By 6th Sense)
Bonus Track – Amnesia (The Return)

DL LINK

I wonder how Dame Dash feels about that lol.

Hopefully Kanye challenges Mos to actually rap more, instead of the scat singing stuff. And I'd love to hear him over more Madlib beats

Tokubetsu

In these hard economic times, I can't blame Mos for going where the money is. Even if he doesn't drop an album, Kanye will have him sitting pretty with features alone *looks at Big Sean*

~Devil Trigger~ said:
DJ Premier is still top producer to me

As far as my favorite producers still living goes, in no particular order:
DJ Premier
The Alchemist
Kno
Madlib
DJ Muggs
And an assortment of Wu Tang affiliates like Mathematics, 4th Disciple etc.

ILikeFeet

Banned
HiResDes said:
This probably was posted a while ago, but I just started bumping it hard...Can I take back what I said about the best female MC's and erect her to the top of the list:

Ra_cvr_v2-01-e1283263338331.jpg

DL LINK

...Also features some incredible fucking production, incredibly diverse and dope, not one single mediocre track (besides maybe Pricey) :D

This is also pretty ill:

20100923-JLATELY.jpg

DL LINK

...Will come back with Mickey Factz impressions later, so far not so good.

finished both of these a short time ago. both are hot shit. which makes me wonder, why so few female artist tapes? :\

Imm0rt4l

PhoenixDark said:
I wonder how Dame Dash feels about that lol.

Hopefully Kanye challenges Mos to actually rap more, instead of the scat singing stuff. And I'd love to hear him over more Madlib beats

I actually like a lot of his singing, The Beggar was one of my favorite songs on The New Danger. I still want him to rap more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom