• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
JEKKI said:
I agree with your opinions on mixtape nonsense lol. But how is this record in comparison to Renaissance Child??

coz Razah's first record pretty much defines average imo. The only reason to listen to that records was for RA the Rugged Man's verse.
His first record is thrash, imo. This one he actually goes back on some Sun's of Man shit. The bars he spit and the production is intense. Give it shot homie.

Hieberrr

I know I'm not adding anything new to this thread, but my goodness... :O "Lost In the World" is friggin epic. Those drums at the end.. my gawd :O~

exarkun

Alright ladies, I decided something.

I loooved power when it leaked, and I decided then that I wasn't going to listen to anything else from the album (I ruin/hear so much of albums nowadays from mixtapes that I just want to hear something completely new) until it came out.

Good idea? Doable? I know Ye is a whore and will probably leak something that will get huge radio play but other than that I think I will be safe.

Ashhong

exarkun said:
Alright ladies, I decided something.

I loooved power when it leaked, and I decided then that I wasn't going to listen to anything else from the album (I ruin/hear so much of albums nowadays from mixtapes that I just want to hear something completely new) until it came out.

Good idea? Doable? I know Ye is a whore and will probably leak something that will get huge radio play but other than that I think I will be safe.

I think you are missing out because Lost in the World and All of the Lights is absolutely fantastic. However, if you have the will to wait for the final version, more power to ya.

grouphomeguru.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJxrv2ZeC4

New Group Home album slackers.

xwdRi.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqwq_S2_LCc

Fuck yeah son, this is what happens when ya to busy wasting your time on some MIXTAPE shit. Listen to this shit son, LISSSSSTTTTTEN.....Weed, Low rider. With a girl from the Philippines on the side.....SHiiiitttttt, love this shit right here.

557887642-1.jpg

http://konceptbbas.bandcamp.com/album/playing-life
Free DL right there. 10$ for bonus tracks and CD.

IrishNinja

Kimosabae said:
Is it just me, or the whole Miami Beatwave Project a potential watershed moment in hip hop? Maybe I'm looking too much into this (as I often tend to do), but it seems like lyrics are becoming a focus again in hip hop. With that said, these eclectic works from this group of producers shows "pure" hip hop may have finally penetrated the farthest reaches of the South.

I live in South Florida, but rarely visit Miami. Maybe Toku can tell me if these tapes manage to represent the culture there?

toku's in miami?
said it a few pages back - im on miami beach, one of my best friends is a big DJ down here, and what little ive heard of Beatwave a) i liked, b) didn't really sound like much ive heard lately...that said, link some of that one, id really like to support something local but all MIA's given me for years was uh, trick, trina, ross, pitbull etc...ive been saying for years, id trade them all for a reggie noble or something standout:lol fuck, you dont know what it is to talk to NY dudes who're like "oh, ya'll got Outkast down in ATL" and its like "yeah, but that's almost a day's trip up north...uh, you ever heard of uncle luke?"

DominoKid

currently on a Cash Money Millionaires (circa 98-03ish) binge. Mannie Fresh really doesn't get the respect he deserves.

i was ALL about some Cash Money as a kid.

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
toku's in miami?
said it a few pages back - im on miami beach, one of my best friends is a big DJ down here, and what little ive heard of Beatwave a) i liked, b) didn't really sound like much ive heard lately...that said, link some of that one, id really like to support something local but all MIA's given me for years was uh, trick, trina, ross, pitbull etc...ive been saying for years, id trade them all for a reggie noble or something standout:lol fuck, you dont know what it is to talk to NY dudes who're like "oh, ya'll got Outkast down in ATL" and its like "yeah, but that's almost a day's trip up north...uh, you ever heard of uncle luke?"

Rick Ross is probably the biggest national export South Fl has had since Trick Daddy and Trina a million years ago. My dealer was telling me about some other young guy but it's still the same kinda shit. Name escapes me at the moment.

Jay Sosa

DominoKid said:
currently on a Cash Money Millionaires (circa 98-03ish) binge. Mannie Fresh really doesn't get the respect he deserves.

I was ALL about some Cash Money as a kid.

I always have a couple of CMR albums on my USB drive in the car, the old shit still holds up pretty well, especially compared to most NL albums. BGs Chopper City is one of my most played albums when driving.

Real N***z
With tha BG

Btw. Speaking of Mannie have you already seen this:

Mannie plays beats for Mystikal

And I think from Mannie gets a lot of love from people who aren't prejudiced and whats most important other producers and Mcs. Dude produced like 10 of my personal classics all by himself.

DominoKid

Jay Sosa said:
Mannie plays beats for Mystikal

And I think from Mannie gets a lot of love from people who aren't prejudiced and whats most important other producers and Mcs. Dude produced like 10 of my personal classics all by himself.

Fresh still got that heat.
side note, Mystikal still looks the same as he did like 8 years ago or however long its been.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DominoKid said:

i was ALL about some Cash Money as a kid.

WTF is Mannie doing these days? He was a household name for a long time then *POOF* Vanished.

PBY

Banned
Miami hip hop just generally sucks, but I'm not gonna lie, I like a lot of the it :lol

You have ur big starts like Ross, Trick Daddy etc, and then you have dudes like Brisco, Billy Blue, Lee Majors, Ace Hood, C-Ride and the list goes on and on

One of the guys I used to work with is starting his own record label and all of the stuff that his crew puts out sound pretty much exactly the same, like cuts that didn't make a Khaled album. To be honest the Beatwave tape doesn't sound typical of what you'd normally here down in MIA

Heres a perfect example of what I'm talking about- lyrically = garbage, but it sounds nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uXPHWpW6o
^I played the hell out of this song

Heres something from my boys crew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Ko_TJ22qk

ILikeFeet

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Mystikal: DAMN, GOD DAMN, GOD DAMN, DAMN, GOD DAMN.

Fuckin love Mystikal.
Aw damn that freestyle. MYSTIKAL WE NEED YOU BACK IN THE GAME.

last I heard he was still in jail. then again that was many years ago and I have since stopped caring about Cash Money :lol

ILikeFeet said:
last I heard he was still in jail. then again that was many years ago and I have since stopped caring about Cash Money :lol

He got out a while ago. And he left Cash Money before he even went to jail.

Jay Sosa

WanderingWind said:
WTF is Mannie doing these days? He was a household name for a long time then *POOF* Vanished.

He produces a track here and there for quite a nice sum of money I assume(check wiki).

But I would love if he would produce entire albums for others artists again.

He did release another album last year, haven't heard much from it though just this one single:

Boss

Dude sure has a lot of RL shirts :lol

Btw: Mystikal was with NL not CMR.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jay Sosa said:
He produces a track here and there for quite a nice sum of money I assume(check wiki).

But I would love if he would produce entire albums for others artists again.

He did release another album last year, haven't heard much from it though just this one single:

Boss

Dude sure has a lot of RL shirts :lol

Btw: Mystikal was with NL not CMR.

So, basically he just (semi) retired. :lol

Tokubetsu

peterb0y said:
Miami hip hop just generally sucks, but I'm not gonna lie, I like a lot of the it :lol

You have ur big starts like Ross, Trick Daddy etc, and then you have dudes like Brisco, Billy Blue, Lee Majors, Ace Hood, C-Ride and the list goes on and on

One of the guys I used to work with is starting his own record label and all of the stuff that his crew puts out sound pretty much exactly the same, like cuts that didn't make a Khaled album. To be honest the Beatwave tape doesn't sound typical of what you'd normally here down in MIA

Heres a perfect example of what I'm talking about- lyrically = garbage, but it sounds nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uXPHWpW6o
^I played the hell out of this song

Heres something from my boys crew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Ko_TJ22qk

Brisco was the dudes name :lol I assume it's the same no matter where you go though. They just have more artists who've "made" it in places like ATL, NYC, LA etc. !MayDay! is from Miami too I think and they aren't half bad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
For some reason all night I've had the old Public Enemy song with Flavor Flav busting it out on the track 911 is a joke! I love this video! :lol

It is a serious topic though!

Ashhong

peterb0y said:
no doubt, cudi was the best live show ive ever been to

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I've seen him twice now...he doesn't even rank in my top 10. Dude was pretty boring, and I'm a huge fan.

You have not have gone to Kanye's Glow in the Dark tour, or any Lupe show. Cause damn...amazing.

All in my opinion of course :)

IrishNinja

Tokubetsu said:
!MayDay! is from Miami too I think and they aren't half bad.

oh hey, i might have the name fucked up but i think i heard them years back opening for Rock the Bells...any links/samples? i remember liking some shit with a name like that that said they were local, but its hard to remember shit in the smoky section:lol

Some Latin-Hip-Hop...Anyone notice a pattern in this four videos?

BOO DOOH-NUEVO PRINCIPIO / CABEN MUCHOS MUNDOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeC-cgKom0
The second track is freaking insane, that beat :O

Quid Comba - En la mesa (Prod. por Jars)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxbMHpmb0I
Another great beat and flow right here.

ZEROPOSITIVO - DE CLASE AL MICRO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrOfAdcIVJQ
I NEED THE INSTRUMENTAL FOR THIS TRACK BADLY! Fuuuuuuuuuuu!

La Tribu (Prod. por Jars)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EMEwzc574&
YES! YES! YES! YESSSSS!!! THIS IS THE SHIT RIGHT HERE! Fuck man!

Now, some SAS shit.
Strong Arm Steady - Cheeba Cheeba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cCTbFqbbZE
Fucking Madlib kills it again, FUEGO!

Strong Arm Steady- Best of Times feat. Phonte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JEDUqFEZHE
This shit is fucking smooth as fuck, damn Madlib.

PBY

Banned
Ashhong said:

I've seen him twice now...he doesn't even rank in my top 10. Dude was pretty boring, and I'm a huge fan.

You have not have gone to Kanye's Glow in the Dark tour, or any Lupe show. Cause damn...amazing.

I've never seen Kanye or Lupe, so I have no point of reference, but the Cudi show was amazing pretty much not because Cudi didanything spectacular, but because the entire audience was waaay into into it. Everyone in that arena knew every lyric and pretty much sang with him every song, everyone had lighters in the air, etc, etc... I dunno, it was a pretty great experience

Recon

Banned
Ashhong said:

I saw the Glow in the Dark Tour when it came to Detroit....by far my favorite concert i have ever been to, just one hell of an experience. Im not expecting big things from the Cudi show, but i just wanna go support him.

Ashhong

peterb0y said:
I've never seen Kanye or Lupe, so I have no point of reference, but the Cudi show was amazing pretty much not because Cudi didanything spectacular, but because the entire audience was waaay into into it. Everyone in that arena knew every lyric and pretty much sang with him every song, everyone had lighters in the air, etc, etc... I dunno, it was a pretty great experience

That is a good point. I always get chills when the entire crowd is that into it. The two times I saw him were before he was really huge, and they werent at Cudi specific concerts so a lot of people didn't even know who he was. I can imagine a good time having an entire crowd singing "Pursuit of Happiness" though.

and I'm waiting on that new Kanye! Gets hacked, multiple tracked leaked, and still works hard to bring his fan a brand new collab. Gotta love him.

I forgot to post this to my previous post, but fuck it.

stoney-jackson-450x450.jpg

This and the Hell Razah album has me bugging, shit is fucking crazy. This two albums are killing my rotation. Madlib fucking kills it man.

Tracklist:
01 - Best of Times ft. Phonte
02 - Cheeba Cheeba
03 - Chittlins & Pepsi ft. Planet Asia
04 - Telegram
05 - Questions ft. Planet Asia & Fashawn
06 - Smile
07 - New Love ft. Planet Asia & Tri-State
08 - Get Started ft. Talib Kweli
09 - Interlude 1
10 - Pressure ft. Sick Jacken & Mitchy Slick
11 - True Champs ft. Montage One, Evidence, Oh No & Roc C
12 - Needle In The Haystack ft. Roscoe & Guilty Simpson
13 - Interlude 2
14 - Ambassadors ft. Planet Asia & Chace Infinite
15 - Chants
16 - Bark Like A Dog ft. Phats Bossalini & Montage One
17 - Two Pistols ft. Mitchy Slick
18 - Outro

Jacobi

Banned
Yes. I didn't really like that album though... Haven't liked much of madlib's recent stuff... Only that Brazil Medicine Show

Never really liked Strong Arm Steady, though I haven't heard much of their music in the first place.
And that Brazil Medicine Show is amazing shit. AMAZING SHIT.

MMaRsu

ShinobiFist said:
I forgot to post this to my previous post, but fuck it.

stoney-jackson-450x450.jpg

This and the Hell Razah album has me bugging, shit is fucking crazy. This two albums are killing my rotation. Madlib fucking kills it man.

Tracklist:
01 - Best of Times ft. Phonte
02 - Cheeba Cheeba
03 - Chittlins & Pepsi ft. Planet Asia
04 - Telegram
05 - Questions ft. Planet Asia & Fashawn
06 - Smile
07 - New Love ft. Planet Asia & Tri-State
08 - Get Started ft. Talib Kweli
09 - Interlude 1
10 - Pressure ft. Sick Jacken & Mitchy Slick
11 - True Champs ft. Montage One, Evidence, Oh No & Roc C
12 - Needle In The Haystack ft. Roscoe & Guilty Simpson
13 - Interlude 2
14 - Ambassadors ft. Planet Asia & Chace Infinite
15 - Chants
16 - Bark Like A Dog ft. Phats Bossalini & Montage One
17 - Two Pistols ft. Mitchy Slick
18 - Outro

One of the best albums.. I've been listening to this for awhile now and it's really really great :).

Kimosabae

Banned
Mayday, Ghostwridah, Wreckonize, Omniscient, Saheed, Dead Prez (though they relocated to NY) - Just about all the artists on the Miami Beat Wave Project are from South Florida and are fuckin' ill. Not in a "Well he's from the South, but has a heavily NY influenced style" type of ill, like Jay Electronica, but real, Florida inspired lyricism. All these dudes are sicker than any of the names I recognize from the lists given.

Some, like Omniscient and Ghostwridah, have heavy southern drawl, so it's refreshing to hear em' bug out on a track with relatively complexed metaphors, multiples and such.

'With Slight Modification' is some the best shit I've heard this year, no doubt. Their tape from last year is at least as good:

3290716723-1.jpg

I'll definitely be paying close attention to the MBWP. You all should to. This is definitely evidence for some type of trend.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
Mayday, Ghostwridah, Wreckonize, Omniscient, Saheed, Dead Prez (though they relocated to NY) - Just about all the artists on the Miami Beat Wave Project are from South Florida and are fuckin' ill. Not in a "Well he's from the South, but has a heavily NY influenced style" type of ill, like Jay Electronica, but real, Florida inspired lyricism. All these dudes are sicker than any of the names I recognize from the lists given.

Some, like Omniscient and Ghostwridah, have heavy southern drawl, so it's refreshing to hear em' bug out on a track with relatively complexed metaphors, multiples and such.

'With Slight Modification' is some the best shit I've heard this year, no doubt. Their tape from last year is at least as good:

3290716723-1.jpg

I'll definitely be paying close attention to the MBWP. You all should to. This is definitely evidence for some type of trend.
Love all of those guys, but you already know Wreckonize is my dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom