• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Kimosabae said:
:lol

If it makes you feel any better, I DLd it from your post. Shit's good.

scott_victory.gif

Also, I don't think any of the previous leaks were shit, persay, just that they didn't exude that charisma he had on the warm up. Relaxation definitely did.

Recon

Banned
Ashhong said:
I cant find proof, but I swear he was a part of GOOD Music...maybe not in anyway important, but he associated himself as part of them.

and why the Chamillionaire hate? I love that dude

What Cham hate? I love Cham, i got into him because of Paul Wall, i quickly realized who was the better rapper.

PBY

Banned
ReconYoda said:
What Cham hate? I love Cham, i got into him because of Paul Wall, i quickly realized who was the better rapper.
cham gets a ton of hate here

edit: cole track is fireeee

Recon

Banned
peterb0y said:
cham gets a ton of hate here

Ive noticed that, and while im not a big fan of all his albums, i love most of his mixtapes. I understand why some dont like him though, he is very polarizing.

PBY

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Ive noticed that, and while im not a big fan of all his albums, i love most of his mixtapes. I understand why some dont like him though, he is very polarizing.
same; love MM7

Tokubetsu

Love Cham here as well. Bought Ultimate Victory on release day off the strength of MM3. Was not disppointed. Been a huge fan since :D

Hopefully we get to see Venom at some point =/

Ashhong

Ultimate Victory is one of my favorite rap albums. One of the few that I will actually listen to on my iPod when I'm out of new music

Tokubetsu

Ashhong said:
Ultimate Victory is one of my favorite rap albums. One of the few that I will actually listen to on my iPod when I'm out of new music

So many great tracks on it. "Welcome To The South" feat. Pimp C was one of my favorites and it was in heavy rotation towards the end of 07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR6skb7ufQY

Now everybody pimpin' and they all got keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyssssssssssssssss

RIP Pimp C.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just a side note, but I listened to that Illz album for the 1st time in like a month... uhhh yeah... that shit is still the dopest thing I've heard in a LONG time. :lol

Tokubetsu

On a side note, Waka Flocka Flame album, "Flockaveli" is great while driving around or bg noise while you're doing something else. Just crank the bass up. "LEX LUGER IS IN THE BUILDING" *TUNE UP SOUND EFFECT* I love how he goes into a name adlib at the end of every track

WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKA FLOCKA!

/post-lyricism mainstream hip-hop era

Tokubetsu said:
On a side note, Waka Flocka Flame album, "Flockaveli" is great while drive around or bg noise while you something else. Just crank the bass up. "LEX LUGER IS IN THE BUILDING" *TUNE UP SOUND EFFECT* I love how he goes into a name adlib at the end of every track

...............................................................................WHAT.

no I completely understand. Waka Flocka Flame can get you hyped but his rapping is just straight poo poo

Tokubetsu

spindashing said:
...............................................................................WHAT.

no I completely understand. Waka Flocka Flame can get you hyped but his rapping is just straight poo poo

His energy is nice but his attempt at rhyming is shameful but I guess most people don't pay attention to rhyming anymore these days.

Side Note, Ski Beatz released a JP version of 24 Hour Karate School with all JP Rappers and a new cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ1rlceQmv4&hd=1

QUv7s.jpg

Not sure what it has to do with Afro Samurai but no doubt it was a smart move on Dame Dash's part to do this as both versions will no doubt sell well there (Huge JP hip hop underground scene and like EU, they actually still buy records).

PBY

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
On a side note, Waka Flocka Flame album, "Flockaveli" is great while driving around or bg noise while you're doing something else. Just crank the bass up. "LEX LUGER IS IN THE BUILDING" *TUNE UP SOUND EFFECT* I love how he goes into a name adlib at the end of every track

Every Lex Luger beat is exactly the same

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Tokubetsu said:

This album makes me want to totally wild out. BOW BOW BOW BOW BOW BITCH I'M BUUUUSTIN' AT 'EM.

New Pimp C is great. I was concerned how it would turn out but it's great. Pimp & Bun still work best together, but Pimp's solo albums definitely resonate with me more than Bun's. I love it. UGK 4 Life, RIP Pimp C.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
^Nice, respect.

Just found out this came out today too:

skyzoo.jpg

...But I'm currently low on funds : (

On my to get list it's just that Skyzoo can be pretty boring somtimes. I liked The Salvation though

see5harp

This morning saw Curren$y do an alright off the domepiece to Gold Panda. Not a huge fan of his but I do like Gold Panda and at least he attempted to actually freestyle. I actually like his style more when he isn't trying to fit so many words into his lines.

Canibus is trash. I can see the appeal to him but listening to his music and having to painfully fumble completely bogus science claims makes me want to kick my dog.

dope4goldrope said:
Canibus is trash. I can see the appeal to him but listening to his music and having to painfully fumble completely bogus science claims makes me want to kick my dog.

What?

What bogus science claims are you talking about? You can't say he's trash and then give zero reason.

Devil Theory said:
What?

What bogus science claims are you talking about? You can't say he's trash and then give zero reason.

I gave reason. First let's start with his most infamous blooper: "I can double my density from 360 degrees to 720 instantly". Seriously, you can probably go through the majority of his discography and in each song find he's constituted scientific blasphemy.

dope4goldrope said:
I gave reason. First let's start with his most infamous blooper: "I can double my density from 360 degrees to 720 instantly". Seriously, you can probably go through the majority of his discography and in each song find he's constituted scientific blasphemy.

I don't understand the logic behind asserting that because he raps about Science and technical things that he has to be flawlessly accurate all the time; I'm sure he's intentionally said something awkward just to make it rhyme, how is this different than other rappers who are infinitely worse with infinitely more infantile lyrical content and delivery?

He's making music, not reading from textbooks, because you can find random errors that nobody in reality cares about doesn't mean he's an idiot or a bad rapper. Listening to some guy rap about 'bitches and gangsta' life' over 4 straight albums is far more infuriating than anything Canibus has ever done.

Devil Theory said:
I don't understand the logic behind asserting that because he raps about Science and technical things that he has to be flawlessly accurate all the time; I'm sure he's intentionally said something awkward just to make it rhyme, how is this different than other rappers who are infinitely worse with infinitely more infantile lyrical content and delivery?

He's making music, not reading from textbooks, because you can find random errors that nobody in reality cares about doesn't mean he's an idiot or a bad rapper. Listening to some guy rap about 'bitches and gangsta' life' over 4 straight albums is far more infuriating than anything Canibus has ever done.

To quote Jay-Z (someone I have a fair share of distaste for):

Cause you don't understand him, it doesn't mean that he's nice
It just means you don't understand all the bullshit that he writes

Just because you're making music doesn't give you the right to say whatever the fuck you want without being held accountable.

Also, I don't listen to gangster rap or anything that vaguely resembles a modern day incarnation minstrel show over instrumentation. But I'd probably find that vastly more entertaining than a Canibus album.

dope4goldrope said:
Just because you're making music doesn't give you the right to say whatever the fuck you want without being held accountable.

Actually, yes it does.

Thousands of rappers get big with songs talking about murder and degradation, 99% of them never get held accountable. Doesn't matter if you listen to them or not, it's a static fact, and holding Canibus 'accountable' for some meaningless and harmless misconceptions within his rhymes about Science is actually insulting when contrasted with other "artists" more harmful and sometimes dangerous lyrics.

I don't have much a problem with Canibus' style. Some of his "kickin' knowledge" stuff is ridiculous but he can be pretty damn amazing at times; Poet Laureate II speaks for itself.

But yea, backpack rappers who raid thesauruses are embarrassing. One of the reasons Papoose is so bad; I can imagine him reading various lists in the library (chain of command, human nerves, etc lol).

HiResDes

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Hey fellow gaf-hoppers,

If any of you are fans of Cunninlynguists, Tonedeff, Pack FM, Substantial, Mr. SOS, or Kokayi, you should really give this a read and consider showing some support. The label that they all operate under, which Tonedeff owns, is in financial dire straits at the moment. The amount of worthwhile hip-hop labels in the world are few and far between right now and I would hate to see them go under.

Read this and see for yourself:
http://qn5.com/discuss/viewthread/14305/P0/
That's so fucked. I love Tonedeff, Cunninlynguists, and Pack FM. I'd hate to see those guys down and out.

I wrote something similar to this on my facebook: It almost seems like in order to make money these days you have to cease making...And focus on some sort of commercialized product.

Devil Theory said:
Actually, yes it does.

Thousands of rappers get big with songs talking about murder and degradation, 99% of them never get held accountable.

The vast majority of rap fans are idiots. If I had my way I'd stage a Hip-Hop Holocaust. This is a completely different discussion though.

Doesn't matter if you listen to them or not, it's a static fact, and holding Canibus 'accountable' for some meaningless and harmless misconceptions within his rhymes about Science is actually insulting when contrasted with other "artists" more harmful and sometimes dangerous lyrics.

I am incapable of following the train of thought that declares because Canibus is "harmlessly" wrong it's okay. So because his brain doesn't function at the same level of a high functioning retard (Gucci Mane, Wacka Flocka, etc.) he's completely excused? I can't accept that.

I bet if someone in the studio were to smack the shit out of him every time he jotted down one of those false references he would've stopped making them years ago.

Quite honestly I can't even begin to fathom how you're justifying this.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
In was actually just thinking about this ^ kind of stuff this morning

What really pisses me off are rappers who spend every other line bragging about selling crack like it's some kind of proof they are hard or badass. No dude, it just makes you a piece of shit who made money destroying your neighborhood. Fuck you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom