• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my friend's album is finally out:
g0cQq.jpg

http://adamwarrock.bandcamp.com/album/the-war-for-infinity-deluxe-edition

I'd be pimping it even if he didn't thank me in the credits. It's seriously amazing. Streaming at the site, etc.

Tokubetsu

spermatic cord said:
Going to a FREE J. Cole concert in about 2 hours. Can't believe it's free :lol
:D

Would love to see J.Cole live. Sucks we probably won't be getting an album from him this year.

Death Is Silent is fucking amazing btw. Not to be outdone by The Roots and "Hustla" the title track has a sample of a girl crying. It's not the major sample but it works so fucking well. The whole album though, is amazing. Kno's production is nothing short of "genius." He's up to "Endtroducing..." levels of production man. His uses of samples is just...brilliant. One of the greats/masters we still have in the business no doubt.

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/death-is-silent

"Got no need for beef, got a vegan ego"

see5harp

Tokubetsu said:
Would love to see J.Cole live. Sucks we probably won't be getting an album from him this year.

Death Is Silent is fucking amazing btw. Not to be outdone by The Roots and "Hustla" the title track has a sample of a girl crying. It's not the major sample but it works so fucking well. The whole album though, is amazing. Kno's production is nothing short of "genius." He's up to "Endtroducing..." levels of production man. His uses of samples is just...brilliant. One of the greats/masters we still have in the business no doubt.

"Got no need for beef, got a vegan ego"

Take a deep breath man jesus. Endtroducing levels of production? Lil Wayne did the beef line better.

see5harp

Pinko Marx said:
Every rapper has done the beef/vegetarian line. Its completely played out now.

Maybe so, but Wayne did it perfect. I like the Das Racist "Dwight Schrute the way that I eat beets" line even if it does bite Wayne a little.

EDIT: I also don't wanna sound like I'm hating on Kno, he does some good work. I just don't think any sample based hip-hop producer will ever do Endtroducing again, including Shadow himself.

Nabs said:
That's great. Now it seems that Nas is having the same problem with Def Jam. Anyone check out his letter to DJ? http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2010/10/07/nas-vs-def-jam/

Kinda pathetic that he'd write such a juvenile letter to executives, regardless of the situation; Jay-Z is probably laughing his ass off.

Nas finally has some passion. I just hope he doesn't try to go all commercial to help pay his child support bills.

Tokubetsu

see5harp said:
Take a deep breath man jesus. Endtroducing levels of production? Lil Wayne did the beef line better.

I've been waiting on this shit all year and Kno is one of my all time favorite producers. I don't care what you think :D

Brettison said:
Does this mean Lupe is gonna stop bitching about shit and actually get you know a cd out?

At this point I couldn't care less either way to be honest.

Dude looks like a hipster in the above picture, lameass.

HiResDes

Devil Theory said:

WTF? He always looks like a hipster. And in fact I'd say he looks less hip than usual. But I've had enough the hipster bullshit on Gaf anyway. I've heard people say a guy dressed like a fucking mountain man looks a hipster and then in the same breath say that some guy dressed like a videogame software developer in the late 80s also looks like a hipster :lol

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Kinda pathetic that he'd write such a juvenile letter to executives, regardless of the situation; Jay-Z is probably laughing his ass off.

Nas finally has some passion. I just hope he doesn't try to go all commercial to help pay his child support bills.

I dont see how anyone in Nas' camp can't just be like. "Yo man, just take all that money you would have spent on a major album and get some dope underground producers, go super lyrical like your old shit and it will sell!"

HiResDes

BenjaminBirdie said:
g0cQq.jpg

I'd be pimping it even if he didn't thank me in the credits. It's seriously amazing. Streaming at the site, etc.
This is pretty tight. His name sold me, a fellow Marvel fan. His delivery is stellar. Gonna cop it tomorrow after this dude pays me back. I don't usually fuck with nerdcore, but it doesn't sound too gimmicky or lame like most others.

Sorry, but if anything the huge black framed glasses and stupid hat automatically give him that label, he doesn't even need a scarf. Maybe it's just me but I can't stand him anymore.

Look at any of his old photos on Google and then look at him there. I don't understand it, it's like if you don't make gangsta' rap, you automatically dress to the furthest extreme.

RPS37

Devil Theory said:
Sorry, but if anything the huge black framed glasses and stupid hat automatically give him that label, he doesn't even need a scarf. Maybe it's just me but I can't stand him anymore.

Look at any of his old photos on Google and then look at him there. I don't understand it, it's like if you don't make gangsta' rap, you automatically dress to the furthest extreme.

I wish I could play a song for you.

Ashhong

Devil Theory said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I dont understand why dressing nice and staying current with fashion is such a bad thing that people automatically have to label them a "hipster". Because of his golf hat and thick glasses? :lol

HiResDes said:
This is pretty tight. His name sold me, a fellow Marvel fan. His delivery is stellar. Gonna cop it tomorrow after this dude pays me back. I don't usually fuck with nerdcore, but it doesn't sound too gimmicky or lame like most others.

Yeah, he really does a good job at staying hip hop even though he occasionally raps about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles getting beaten by a wack MC.

:D

Seriously, I know I non-stop enthuse about everything, and this dude is a pal, but it's actually a really good record.

Ashhong said:
[/B]

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I dont understand why dressing nice and staying current with fashion is such a bad thing that people automatically have to label them a "hipster". Because of his golf hat and thick glasses? :lol
Didn't you know that Hipster is the new "N" word? Didn't you get the memo my hipster?

Ashhong

ShinobiFist said:
Didn't you know that Hipster is the new "N" word? Didn't you get the memo my hipster?

Yea I get that, I just think its lame. Especially since theres not really a way to determine who is a hipster vs...you know, the other word

Devil Theory said:

Did a hipster shit on your cereal? Damn.

I don't give a shit how you dress. Sure it's different, and that is what I respect and I have been dressing like that sans skinny jeans. Maybe I should invest on baggy pants and a grill for my teef...

Like Kid Cudi once said, it really saddens me to see grown men focus too hard on what others are wearing.

Honestly, Lasers is long overdue. I'm not as excited for it as I was before, but if this all means a release date is coming, then call me a happy negro.

thetechkid

spindashing said:

I don't give a shit how you dress. Sure it's different, and that is what I respect and I have been dressing like that sans skinny jeans. Maybe I should invest on baggy pants and a grill for my teef...

Like Kid Cudi once said, it really saddens me to see grown men focus too hard on what others are wearing.

Honestly, Lasers is long overdue. I'm not as excited for it as I was before, but if this all means a release date is coming, then call me a happy negro.

You obviously don't know that the way people dress defines how well they rap.

Recon

Banned
Anyone know when Kno's album "Death Is Silent" is gonna be shipped to those who pre-ordered the limited edition?

spindashing said:

Cudi can say whatever he wants, but more than half of the time when people talk about him they're referring to his clothes and style, not his music, so there goes that theory.

It's worse than the other stereotypes, it's something so opposite that it's the entire focus used primarily for mainstream differences. Which is evident by men copying the way he dresses.

I never said the way you dress affects the way you rap. I said Lupe is lame.

HiResDes

Listening to the Death is Silent stream right now...Production might be the best I've heard all year, Kno's lyrics are great as well, but I'm sorry to say his flow is somewhat lackluster (he gets beasted by all of featured artists)...Still gonna cop though, without a fucking question. :D

Devil Theory said:
Cudi can say whatever he wants, but more than half of the time when people talk about him they're referring to his clothes and style, not his music, so there goes that theory.

It's worse than the other stereotypes, it's something so opposite that it's the entire focus used primarily for mainstream differences. Which is evident by men copying the way he dresses.

What theory? It was just a saying that I thought held true for not only today's media, but for all time. I may not respect everything Cudi says, but I felt that made a lot of sense.

I really don't get the hate for styles like his and other people. I get people not liking things that some "radical" hipsters do, but I can't cast my hate for them as a whole because there are nice people who dress like that. I don't see the difference this has over dressing like a thug. Honestly I'd rather have this over wearing baggy Glad bag pants, etc.

So it's a trend emerging. I guess it's merely opinion at this point whether people like it or not.

As for Lupe, he's been my favorite artist for years. It's a shame where he is now, but I am glad his situation came to a resolution..if it did.

thetechkid

Devil Theory said:

I don't think so tim.

Kimosabae

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
g0cQq.jpg

I can't hate on this. It's nice. I think the production stands above Warrock, though. Not subtle enough for my taste, but he's nice, nonetheless. I'll definitely get this along with the instrumental version when my pockets loosen up a bit. Make sure to keep plugging this, so I don't forget.

'I Am Him (LOOOOOVE this instrumental)', 'Silver Age' and 'Ira Glass' are my joints.

Oozer3993

I hate to break up the hipster debate, but I feel this news needs to be posted.

During a Q&A after a screening of his new film Runaway, Kanye mentioned that the CRS (Kanye + Pharrell + Lupe) project is still alive.

ReconYoda said:
Anyone know when Kno's album "Death Is Silent" is gonna be shipped to those who pre-ordered the limited edition?

It's shipping on the 11th. It was gonna be shipped today but some problem with the coffin shaped boxes came up and now it's shipping on Monday in black boxes.

edit- and who ever mentioned Endtroducing levels of production, I agree. I think Kno is one of the top 3 producers right now, and his rapping is clever too.

edit-edit- For those interested, you can stream and BUY the album here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom