• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pinko Marx said:
Shaquille O'Neal: Most underrated rapper of our time?
ShaqDiesel.jpg

I think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIiHibUIMM

I actually owned, and enjoyed, his first two albums. But I was also a little punk ass shaq fan with a magic jersey so....

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Hey fellow gaf-hoppers,

If any of you are fans of Cunninlynguists, Tonedeff, Pack FM, Substantial, Mr. SOS, or Kokayi, you should really give this a read and consider showing some support. The label that they all operate under, which Tonedeff owns, is in financial dire straits at the moment. The amount of worthwhile hip-hop labels in the world are few and far between right now and I would hate to see them go under.

Read this and see for yourself:
http://qn5.com/discuss/viewthread/14305/P0/

For my fellow 50-posts-per-pagers.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
dope4goldrope said:
The vast majority of rap fans are idiots. If I had my way I'd stage a Hip-Hop Holocaust. This is a completely different discussion though.

I bet if someone in the studio were to smack the shit out of him every time he jotted down one of those false references he would've stopped making them years ago.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I agree with you about rap fans and shit. goddamn.

And I don't even know how "trap rap" can even be justified as being even classified as being its own genre ._.

dope4goldrope said:
I am incapable of following the train of thought that declares because Canibus is "harmlessly" wrong it's okay. So because his brain doesn't function at the same level of a high functioning retard (Gucci Mane, Wacka Flocka, etc.) he's completely excused? I can't accept that.

I bet if someone in the studio were to smack the shit out of him every time he jotted down one of those false references he would've stopped making them years ago.

Quite honestly I can't even begin to fathom how you're justifying this.

Every rapper in history makes false references or inaccurate statements or exaggerations, if your criteria for a good artist is 100% accuracy, then your playlist must be empty. It doesn't make sense to excuse a rapper of being good/great because every word that comes out of his mouth doesn't mimic exact reality. It's music, his rhymes are incredible and so are his beats and storytelling skills, I mean where do you draw the line? Do you have some minimum number of references or things a guy says before you say "alright that's enough, moving on."?

Canibus is more accurate than the majority of the game, and if you pick on him and call him garbage, I can only imagine you listen to what, maybe two, three artists? Christian only? I don't get it, the entire reason for hating him seems extremely petty.

IrishNinja

i was just talking with blackace few days back about that kinda thing, he said he didnt dig Nas kicking knowledge cause a lot of it was misinformed, i asked him what specifically but he didnt get back to me.
KRS-1 is intelligent, but can say dumb shit sometimes too (like right after 9-11). no one's gonna question someone like Rakim at the mic, id like to say the same for RZA after reading his books but i could be wrong.

but its not always about kicking knowledge, its poetry for some dudes. if it flows, it doesnt really have to make sense...i mean, fuck, most hip-hop fans just listen to only the beat, that's been said for years.

siddx said:
In was actually just thinking about this ^ kind of stuff this morning

What really pisses me off are rappers who spend every other line bragging about selling crack like it's some kind of proof they are hard or badass. No dude, it just makes you a piece of shit who made money destroying your neighborhood. Fuck you.

see, i get that, and i get tired of that shit too, cause its played and it's not really a great look...but when you can say it in a way that works on the track (older Jay, Clipse, some people here'd say Ross, etc) i don't mind, just kinda tired of everybody homogonizing on one fucking topic, whether its gangsta shit, rims, bottles & models, coke dealing, etc. you dont have to do tracks about water birth like fuckin Kweli or something, but if you're saying the same shit, at least try to say it differently.

HiResDes

Yeah some of stuff Nas spits about Egypt is misinformed...

Anyway rap has always been more about how you say something, than what you say.

DominoKid

Tokubetsu said:
On a side note, Waka Flocka Flame album, "Flockaveli" is great while driving around or bg noise while you're doing something else. Just crank the bass up. "LEX LUGER IS IN THE BUILDING" *TUNE UP SOUND EFFECT* I love how he goes into a name adlib at the end of every track

WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKA FLOCKA!

/post-lyricism mainstream hip-hop era

flockaveli is crazy awesome

Salazar

HiResDes said:

I like nonsensical Beasties and dharma Beasties just about the same.

HiResDes

My homie just slid me some money for the Skyzoo amazon download...HOLY SHIT!
Easily in my top 3 favorite hip-hop albums of the year. FUCK. The production amazing, Skyzoo's amazing, and overall it just feels like an even better package than the Salvation. This ain't no lil' kid rap, Skyzoo's rapping over some aggressive shit. GET IT, GET IT, GET IT! :lol

Solaros

HiResDes said:

Nas said:
Who made up words? who made up numbers?
And what kind of spell is mankind under?
I'm sorry, but that is some magnets level shit right there. :lol

I like the song, but I cringe every time he drops that line.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Easily in my top 3 favorite hip-hop albums of the year. FUCK. The production amazing, Skyzoo's amazing, and overall it just feels like an even better package than the Salvation. This ain't no lil' kid rap, Skyzoo's rapping over some aggressive shit. GET IT, GET IT, GET IT! :lol

Don't do this to me man.

The DJ Premier produced track on Canibus' new album just hit. What a pleasant surprise. This shit is bananas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuaRbBOJMMI

Messi

What is the gaf opinion of immortal techinque? I had my music on shuffle and the song 'you never know' by him came on and I havent heard him in years. Sad song :( . What happened to him after revolutionary vol 2, he still releasing albums?

HiResDes said:

First time Skyzoo listener here, and this project is super solid all the way through. The production is just hard. Kitchen Table is niiiiiiiiiiice. Langston's Pen is sick too.

Messi said:
What is the gaf opinion of immortal techinque? I had my music on shuffle and the song 'you never know' by him came on and I havent heard him in years. Sad song :( . What happened to him after revolutionary vol 2, he still releasing albums?

He released a not-quite-an-album-but-not-a-mixtape called "The 3rd World" about two years ago. And he's been taking his sweeeeet time making The Middle Passage, his official 3rd album.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Another thing I am getting really tired of in hip hop is homophobia. I know it's supposedly a reflection of a "macho" culture and for a while I just kind of shrugged it off, after all I'd be lying if I said I don't say some stupid ignorant shit once in a while when i'm joking around with friends...but there really is no fucking place for it in this day and age. The saddest thing is, and I'm sure some people will roll their eyes at this and disagree, but I truly believe that if a large amount of hip hop stars embraced tolerance and were anti homophobic, we would see a significant change in attitudes among the larger population. Kanye took a good step and i'll always respect him for that. And there are quite a few underground artists who are vocal about it. But can you imagine if most of the big stars came out strongly against homophobia? I have to believe the influence they have over millions of fans would have at least some positive effect.

siddx said:
Another thing I am getting really tired of in hip hop is homophobia. I know it's supposedly a reflection of a "macho" culture and for a while I just kind of shrugged it off, after all I'd be lying if I said I don't say some stupid ignorant shit once in a while when i'm joking around with friends...but there really is no fucking place for it in this day and age. The saddest thing is, and I'm sure some people will roll their eyes at this and disagree, but I truly believe that if a large amount of hip hop stars embraced tolerance and were anti homophobic, we would see a significant change in attitudes among the larger population. Kanye took a good step and i'll always respect him for that. And there are quite a few underground artists who are vocal about it. But can you imagine if most of the big stars came out strongly against homophobia? I have to believe the influence they have over millions of fans would have at least some positive effect.

This. Cosign. When I was young I will admit, I joined in some of that anti-gay stuff, but it's really hard to listen to now that I got older and met people from the gay community. I joke too with friends, but some of the anti-gay rap stuff is, "fucking ridiculous."

I blame Raekwon for my past anti-gay stuff. I love the Chef but damn. :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
Regarding Canibus, specifically, what makes him corny is simply his espousal of knowledge for the sake of showcasing it. He internalizes very little of what he supposedly knows, which makes listening to him just as often painful, or sometimes negligible, as listening to something ephemerally mainstream. Canibus is not a poet. He just comes across as someone that locked himself in a library for a few hours and blew his top at the first passer-by after leaving the building.

Early Canibus was just the right balance.

Kimosabae said:
Regarding Canibus, specifically, what makes him corny is simply his espousal of knowledge for the sake of showcasing it. He internalizes very little of what he supposedly knows, which makes listening to him just as often painful, or sometimes negligible, as listening to something ephemerally mainstream. Canibus is not a poet. He just comes across as someone that locked himself in a library for a few hours and blew his top at the first passer-by after leaving the building.

Early Canibus was just the right balance.

Totally agreed. I'm not a huge fan of Talib Kweli but at least you can tell he's well read/knows s0ome shit. Same with Mos when he's not talking about politics. Even Nas at times. Canibus has some epic shit but you can tell his interest in "learning" is solely about being perceived as smarter/better than other rappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom