• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is anyone braving the DOOM gigs in the UK this month? I'm going to the one in Brixton next week, but I'd be wary if it wasnt a free ticket a friend got me, given the whole DOOM-poster nonsense before...

Tokubetsu

And to whoever was asking when Death Is Silent is actually shipping pre-orders, that starts next week, the 11th.

Retail won't be till the end of the month because of some UPC code mix up had Know's album as a Soulja Boy album and since Kno doesn't sell hundreds of thousand of records, his shit got bumped by the delay.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tokubetsu said:
I dont see how anyone in Nas' camp can't just be like. "Yo man, just take all that money you would have spent on a major album and get some dope underground producers, go super lyrical like your old shit and it will sell!"

Because it probably still wouldn't sell. Not a diss on Nas, but an indictment of the buying habits of people who made Waka Flocka famous.

Oh, and Lupe has always bounced between "hipster" and "urban" dress.

Him in 2007
http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/m/david_letterman_celebs_3_020108/lupe_fiasco_5072040.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/content/ontv/vma/2008/photo/flipbooks/08-red-carpet/lupe-fiasco-55660702_wire.jpg

So, saying you hate him because he dresses like a hipster now...well, it's two kinds of dumb.

Nabs

cbrotherson said:
So, is anyone braving the DOOM gigs in the UK this month? I'm going to the one in Brixton next week, but I'd be wary if it wasnt a free ticket a friend got me, given the whole DOOM-poster nonsense before...

his last set of uk shows were legit. glad you got a free ticket, because you never know with the doomposter.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
OrangeGrayBlue said:
I'm not a big fan of his rapping, but I like the direction of the overall sound. If this is the sound that becomes "cool", then people I've been a fan of for years might actually start to get the attention they deserve.

yeah, the beat is sick too. I'm a big fan of simple laid back beats such as this one.

oh by the way, they worked out a release date for Lasers.

208.png

peterb0y said:
damn thats far awayyy was hoping for lasers in 2010

honestly, it's good they are releasing it far from now.

if you think about it Lasers wasn't even promoted. You only heard that shit through word of mouth and the occaisonal Lupe interview.

they can promote that shit, maybe create singles, etc.

I heard the I'm Beamin video was created straight from Lupe's own pocket so smh.

Jay Sosa

Imm0rt4l said:
I'd like to see him get released from Atlantic, probably not gonna happen though.

http://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhu13vphL17Of3X3Z3

Eli Porter new freestyle.

Hey that's actually pretty good. I mean compared to Gucci and Wocka whatever, damn shame that he looks, well kinda special. With the right marketing he could make some money.

has this been discussed?

Mac Miller - Nikes on My Feet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-rqu-hjobc

Nice, have to checkout his tape I guess.

Imm0rt4l

Jay Sosa said:
Hey that's actually pretty good. I mean compared to Gucci and Wocka whatever, damn shame that he looks, well kinda special. With the right marketing he could make some money.

I agree that it's relatively good compared to a lot of these rappers like wacka and gucci, and considering that he is special, I don't think this speaks well of todays hip hop. smh

Jay Sosa

Imm0rt4l said:
I agree that it's relatively good compared to a lot of these rappers like wacka and gucci, and considering that he is special, I don't think this speaks well of todays hip hop. smh

Well yeah, that's kinda true(and truly sad) :lol

When I first heard Gucci on So Icy I thought he's mentally handicapped too.

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:

Mac Miller tape is awesome, but after seeing this video I lost a lot of respect for the guy...But yeah man what's taken you so long to dl it everybody including been giving it nothing but praise. :lol

Nabs said:
his last set of uk shows were legit. glad you got a free ticket, because you never know with the doomposter.

I saw some decent reviews of his last show. Good news

I'd imagine he's sitting on a shit ton of music. Hopefully we'll hear something about anything before the end of the year.

Kimosabae

Banned
Been listening to a lot of Doom lately. I appreciate his lesser talked about shit more than I 'Madvillany', 'King Geedorah', 'Danger Mouse' etc.

doom-born-like-this.jpg

cover.jpg

holy .... shit. this day got even more better.

according to lupefiasco.com:

lupefiasco.com said:
Lupe Fiasco's much-anticipated new album "Lasers" hits stores and online Tuesday, March 8th 2011. The first single will premiere on Tuesday, October 26th right here on LupeFiasco.com first! #GenerationLasers you ready? Let's go!

thank you based god

Bowser

Lasers in 2011? WTF? Is he rerecording all new material? He said he had handed in the finished album in February! :lol

like I said before a release date in March or atleast next year is best so that way they'd have more than enough time to actually ... you know ... promote the album or atleast attempt to try to build hype again

sigh spindashing stop defending lupe

he's not cool around here. no one cares about him.

._.

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
Mac Miller tape is awesome, but after seeing this video I lost a lot of respect for the guy...But yeah man what's taken you so long to dl it everybody including been giving it nothing but praise. :lol

Dunno, Pilot Talk and Vizzy Zone keep me entertained at the the moment, so I didn't check this thread for new tapes in a while.

Lupe Fiasco's much-anticipated new album "Lasers" hits stores and online Tuesday, March 8th 2011. The first single will premiere on Tuesday, October 26th right here on LupeFiasco.com first! #GenerationLasers you ready? Let's go!

Single comes out in October, album 5 months later. Sounds like a brilliant plan to me!

MMaRsu

Kimosabae said:
Been listening to a lot of Doom lately. I appreciate his lesser talked about shit more than I 'Madvillany', 'King Geedorah', 'Danger Mouse' etc.

doom-born-like-this.jpg

cover.jpg

you like Born like this that much? It's probably one of my lesser Doom albums..

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow, really??

'Supervillan Intro', 'Rap Ambush', 'Lightworks', 'Batty Boys', 'Angelz', 'More Rhymin''???

Madvillany's amazing, no doubt, but that's a well established look. Most of his other shit just blends together for me. Stream of conscious non-sequitors and abstract multiples form the content and the album themes are just dressing. Only shit from him I didn't like at all was Doomsday, but I might need to revisit it.

Kimosabae said:
Wow, really??

'Supervillan Intro', 'Rap Ambush', 'Lightworks', 'Batty Boys', 'Angelz', 'More Rhymin''???

Madvillany's amazing, no doubt, but that's a well established look. Most of his other shit just blends together for me. Stream of conscious non-sequitors and abstract multiples form the content and the album themes are just dressing. Only shit from him I didn't like at all was Doomsday, but I might need to revisit it.

When I heard Cellz I thought Born Like This could be a welcome comeback. But then the album came out, and the very first track had some wack re-enactment of superhero dialogue. Things didn't get much better after that. Definitely has some good tracks on it but overall it disappointed me.

Definitely agree with you on Vaudeville Villain though. It's an amazing album on every level. I'd love to get a VV3 after Madvillainy 2

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fuck'n track 2 on "The Pursuit" aka Heaven (Higher) might be my music track of the year (despite releasing last year on my b-day I didn't find it until this thread this year).

hie said:
I've always thought it was better. His best, actually.

Doomsday is most definitely his best, but only by a close shot. He just has so many good albums, which is why BORN LIKE THIS was such a disappoint. It had like maybe 3 good songs.

Love the new CRS. March 11th Lasers date is fhkn retarded, though. It doesn't take THAT damn long to build the hype train back up. And Spindashing, I may not be a Kanye stan like you, but I got your back when it comes to Lupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom