• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mooooose said:
RZA would never give him free beats. Especially after Ghostface SUED RZA for not paying him enough.

I doubt RZA will ever produce for solely Ghostface again.

It's weird you'd bring up all those producers... because they have worked with Ghost. They worked with Ghost to put out a ton of free music too. Whereas, for Ghost's past couple of albums, he uses no names that Def Jam is trying to hire because he just doesn't give a fuck.

Regardless, his beat selection is still pretty good and Ghostdini definitely had some gems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFDgrLuYwA4 - Stay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnBXfEOMCo - Paragraphs of Love

One he's off Def Jam (I thought he was? I guess not), then we'll see what he puts out. I'll expect huge things. Also, Swift and Changable might actually come out...

Dunno, didn't RZA say it's still all good between them anyway?

Ghost has worked with many of them in the past, making it odd that he sticks with mixtape producers. He has a great ear for production and rarely picks bad beats, but I've always wanted more memorable stuff. He's worked with Exile before, who wants to work with him again; why not hook up again. Or Havoc.

Swift and Changable...nah. I don't see it happening. Which sucks because DOOM and Starks are my two favorite rappers.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
enzo_gt said:
The rest of the Cyphers on a stream, as well as the performances.
Cypher #1: Wiz Khalifa, Bones Brigante, YelaWolf & Raekwon
Cypher #2: Tyga, Kuniva, Diamond & Royce Da 5’9″...obviously
Cypher #3: OMG, Doughboy, Ice Cube, Diggy, JoJo & Rev Run
Cypher #4: Reek Da Villian, Zawcain & Mickey Factz
G.O.O.D Music cypher that featured Kanye West, Pusha T, Big Sean, CyHi Da Prynce and Common

& Damn J. Cole performed Who Dat? That's insane, and damn good to hear he's getting exposure.

winnarz!!
fuckin Reek, i always like his flow.

Kimosabae

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Yep haha. I don't care TOO much for Hell's Winter but Movies For The Blind was my shit. "Among The Sleep" is one of my favorite tracks.

Make sure you stay the fuck away from Depart From Me. It's horrible.

I heard the EP he dropped last year... that was enough for me to know better.

STILL, I'm gonna give it a listen eventually, in consideration of the criticisms.

Kimosabae

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
DOOM seems a little washed up these days.

Why?

I've been meaning to ask - what is missing from 'Born Like This' in relation to his older shit that generates so much contempt? Progression? I thought it was good for what it was. But as I said before, all Doom's shit kinda blends together for me.

*shrugs*

Might have to read some reviews.

Kimosabae said:
Why?

I've been meaning to ask - what is missing from 'Born Like This' in relation to his older shit that generates so much contempt? Progression? I thought it was good for what it was. But as I said before, all Doom's shit kinda blends together for me.

*shrugs*

Born Like This sounds like a buncha leftover tracks. They don't have any heart in them. His flow is boring, the concepts are kinda lame, the beats are okay. Its just a buncha "okay" tracks save for a few standouts.
Its not a bad album, its just not that memorable.

And to answer your question why he seems washed up, he hasn't dropped a solo album in god knows how long, and when he did it was Born Like This. Though his work with Trunks was pretty dope. That was years agos. Dude hasn't done much of anything lately.

mooooose

PhoenixDark said:
Dunno, didn't RZA say it's still all good between them anyway?

Ghost has worked with many of them in the past, making it odd that he sticks with mixtape producers. He has a great ear for production and rarely picks bad beats, but I've always wanted more memorable stuff. He's worked with Exile before, who wants to work with him again; why not hook up again. Or Havoc.

Swift and Changable...nah. I don't see it happening. Which sucks because DOOM and Starks are my two favorite rappers.
RZA lies when it comes to the Wu/Money.

I'm sure Ghost is doing everything he's doing for a reason, right now. We'll see what comes of these projects.

Swift and Changable has been on delay because Def Jam, they won't allow those kinds of collaborations. According to Nature Sounds, as of maybe a month ago, DOOM is still working on it. Ghost's verses are apparently done.

Ghost has a ton of shit lined up for the future. We'll see what happens with him... as my favorite rapper, I'm curious.

HiResDes

Imm0rt4l said:
yea, dude's corny.
Charles Hamilton shows spurts of genius all the time. And I think more highly of a guy that is so hungry that he releases too much material than a guy that releases nothing and talks a lot.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I guess I'm the only one, who felt DOOM'S Born Like This was a great album.

Gazillion Ear
Ballskin
Yessir
Absolutely
Rap Ambush
Lightworks
Angels
Cellz
Microwave Mayo
That's That

I love all of these tracks. The only one I abjectly hate is Batty Boys, for obvious reasons.

Kimosabae

Banned
Sonically, I quite like 'Batty Boyz' but disliking it due to its content is totally understandable.

I often wonder if I'm interpreting the song too superficially.

HiResDes said:
Charles Hamilton shows spurts of genius all the time. And I think more highly of a guy that is so hungry that he releases too much material than a guy that releases nothing and talks a lot.
I love Lupe but...zing. :lol :lol

Is Charles still in a mental institute or whatever? Dude freestyled for 9 mins in a wheelchair last time I saw him. He had black nail polish with pink tips? Wtf. :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kimosabae said:
Sonically, I quite like 'Batty Boyz' but disliking it due to its content is totally understandable.

I often wonder if I'm interpreting the song too superficially.
Honestly I like the song; it's the TV and movie sample, which use homophobic terminology, that I just can't condone.

Lyrics are his usual genius though.

Even the rats know it's tacky
"You ever seen me slicking like that bitch
Just smack me!"

:lol

Kimosabae said:
Why?

*shrugs*

Born Like This was heavily anticipated at the time. DOOM had been pretty much MIA since Danger Doom (which gained him more commercial success but wasn't that great according to many fans). A few tracks had come out, like Angelz which was assumed to be a Swift and Changable track. Ballskin came out, and I thought it was pretty meh. Then Cellz came out and I was blown away, and really started hyping the album.

But when it came out it really felt half assed. The intro's fake cartoon dialogue is painful; I'd imagine DOOM couldn't afford to clear the sample, but then again there is some Super Friends dialogue on the album too. Production wise it's pretty stale, outside of that Madlib beat and some other stuff (Gazillion Ear, Cellz, Batty Boys). It's like a collection of old, tired tracks. The drums on Angelz were ruined, Lightworks is atrocious (attn rappers, not every Dilla beat can be rapped over), and there's some rather lazy production throughout.

Still it has some good songs, but overall it felt thrown together. DOOM says the album took a couple years to make but it doesn't sound like that at fucking all.

RPS37

spindashing said:
I love Lupe but...zing. :lol :lol

Is Charles still in a mental institute or whatever? Dude freestyled for 9 mins in a wheelchair last time I saw him. He had black nail polish with pink tips? Wtf. :lol

I really didn't even believe you at all when I read this. But then I googled shit....

Ashhong

RPS37 said:
I really didn't even believe you at all when I read this. But then I googled shit....

I dont believe you two....

*googles

oh shit :lol "in the mental hospital for a broken heart" :lol

Imm0rt4l

HiResDes said:
I don't like that about Lupe either, but it doesn't change the fact that I think Charles Hamilton is corny. I do like it when a rapper puts out a lot of material, but this isn't always good, it kinda dilutes the rappers material. Perhaps you could change my mind on him though, but as of right now I think the guy is corny as fuck. I think Lupe can be corny at times too though, and he's one of my favorite rappers(just saw that heirplanes video).

Constantly releasing music kinda makes it disposable imo. I'd rather have an artist release amazing stuff every other year than someone release a bunch of average to good shit every month.

blu :(

HiResDes

Imm0rt4l said:
I don't like that about Lupe either, but it doesn't change the fact that I think Charles Hamilton is corny. I do like it when a rapper puts out a lot of material, but this isn't always good, it kinda dilutes the rappers material. Perhaps you could change my mind on him though, but as of right now I think the guy is corny as fuck. I think Lupe can be corny at times too though, and he's one of my favorite rappers(just saw that heirplanes video).
I made a best of from that two week period where he released 6 mixtapes :lol...Called the Megatape (if you don't like any of these, then you simply will not like Charles Hamilton)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
PhoenixDark said:
Constantly releasing music kinda makes it disposable imo. I'd rather have an artist release amazing stuff every other year than someone release a bunch of average to good shit every month.

blu :(

That is why I am wondering what the long-term effect of all these mixtapes will be. We are getting a constant flow of new, free music. How is a retail release going to stand out?

HiResDes

It has kinda slowed down a bit since summer, which I appreciate. I mean they still come out a near weekly basis, but there have been a few dry weeks even for me every once in a while.

dskillzhtown said:
That is why I am wondering what the long-term effect of all these mixtapes will be. We are getting a constant flow of new, free music. How is a retail release going to stand out?

Lil Wayne argued since he released so much free shit, people would buy his actual albums. I dunno if that's why people bought Carter III but lots of rappers seem to be following that blueprint.

Sucks that the mainstream is so cannibalistic urban music can't grow. If you don't release an album every year someone takes your spot. Whereas in other genres someone might take a couple years to craft an album.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
PhoenixDark said:
Lil Wayne argued since he released so much free shit, people would buy his actual albums. I dunno if that's why people bought Carter III but lots of rappers seem to be following that blueprint.

Sucks that the mainstream is so cannibalistic urban music can't grow. If you don't release an album every year someone takes your spot. Whereas in other genres someone might take a couple years to craft an album.

There are plenty of rappers who don't drop albums every year.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:

I think part of the reason why Lil Wayne was so successful is simply because he was one of the first to do the whole flood thing and still push a major release out. He took the top spot because no one else was doing anything. It fucked up the game though and as you said, urban music is being consumed way too quickly before moving onto the next thing. All of my friends who do listen to a lot of mainstream rap aren't even listening to the Drake album anymore and as big as it was, it was only four months ago. Same goes for Rick Ross' latest too.

Side note: One of my most anticipated albums this year gets album art! Dropping sometime next month:
hrm5q.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaZpu0_4WQ&hd=1

Koroshi said:
Just because you rap about something doesn't mean it's true. For example, look at 50 Cent. He raps about drugs, alcohol and murder - and he doesn't actually do any of them. He's a very health-conscious person. A majority of rap is a falsified account of someone's past life as a "gangster". Another great example would be Rick Ross. Not only was he not a drug kingpin in Miami, he was a correctional officer.

Well thats true too. The main group that came to mind was when Three 6 Mafia went up to accept their Oscar and they said they thank God the most. I was thinking Dudes....Your group's name is thar mark of the beast, come on now:lol

HiResDes

That 27 minute freestyle he did a couple of months back was sick as fuck, but his nails have been painted that way for a while.

effzee

So BET sucks and all but they have this show tonight at 8pm about the top 10 rappers since 99.

Saw the list of rappers to be "discussed" by their expert panel and it includes Drake :(

I was expecting something cool (dont know why) but how can any list be legit when someone who just broke through a year ago is already being discussed in the top 10 list of the past 10 yrs?

Anyway might be interesting to see who they crown #1. My guess is Jay Z.

hubes

effzee said:
So BET sucks and all but they have this show tonight at 8pm about the top 10 rappers since 99.

Saw the list of rappers to be "discussed" by their expert panel and it includes Drake :(

I was expecting something cool (dont know why) but how can any list be legit when someone who just broke through a year ago is already being discussed in the top 10 list of the past 10 yrs?

I'm pretty sure I saw that the top 10 list only has rappers that released their first album after 1999 so Jay wouldn't be included if that's the case.

Yeah just did a search.. "The list chosen by BET's viewers includes 50 Cent, Drake, Eminem, Eve, Fabolous, Game, Gucci Mane, Jadakiss, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Nelly, Rick Ross, T.I. and Young Jeezy."

But yeah drake will probably end up being #5 or something which is unfortunate.

Ashhong

hubes said:
I'm pretty sure I saw that the top 10 list only has rappers that released their first album after 1999 so Jay wouldn't be included if that's the case.

Yeah just did a search.. "The list chosen by BET's viewers includes 50 Cent, Drake, Eminem, Eve, Fabolous, Game, Gucci Mane, Jadakiss, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Nelly, Rick Ross, T.I. and Young Jeezy."

You are a liar. That cannot possibly be the list. Gucci Mane :lol

hubes said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Lupe should be top 5

DominoKid

effzee said:

i love cheesy rank lists like this

kamspy

Just watched the G.O.O.D. cypher.

Ye should pimp GLC more. His shit was the best on that G.O.O.D. mixtape. I had Big Sean confused with another guy. When I heard his shit on the G.O.O.D. tape I thought it was Drake the first couple times I skipped it.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
What is this, I dont even

How much negative press and stupidity can Charles Hamilton exhibit before he just goes away?
What are you talking about? The rap battle shenanigans happened a long ass time ago, and honestly everyone that is a fan of Charles Hamilton knows he's borderline insane...So I don't think it's really that bad. There are very few rappers as creative and lyrically astute as Hamilton, despite his low moments, of which he definitely has plenty.

m3k

perfectchaos007 said:
Well thats true too. The main group that came to mind was when Three 6 Mafia went up to accept their Oscar and they said they thank God the most. I was thinking Dudes....Your group's name is thar mark of the beast, come on now:lol

back in the day when i used to buy the source and it was good they had an article on three 6 mafia... like 98 or something, they seemed cool

anyway they explained they did that for shock value in the religous south... but yeah the irony :lol

I remember back in HS during their "I Gotta Stay Fly" days there was a rumor going around that there were subliminal messages to Satanism in their songs.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
I remember back in HS during their "I Gotta Stay Fly" days there was a rumor going around that there were subliminal messages to Satanism in their songs.
They aren't subliminal, they're pretty much explicit dude.

What did you guys think of Bieber's so-called freestyle on Vado's Speaking in Tongues...Can't believe Vado said he sounded like Biggy and wants to put his verse on his remix...Dude is definitely all about the paper.

HiResDes said:

What did you guys think of Bieber's so-called freestyle on Vado's Speaking in Tongues...Can't believe Vado said he sounded like Biggy and wants to put his verse on his remix...Dude is definitely all about the paper.

I've never heard much satanism in Three 6's songs, just a lot of Gangsta Rap shit.

And that freestyle is okay...I mean, its a freestyle. Seems like dude is just fucking around. Who really cares?

DominoKid

HiResDes said:

Bieber ripped a few bars off some unknown rapper. but i wasnt mad at it. he didnt sound that bad really.

m3k

HiResDes said:

umm nah... i just googled that shit and it sound like some jayz illuminati tin hat shit

beiber though...

smh... could they choose someone with less credibility

HiResDes

They're called Three 6 Mafia, Jay'z name isn't FreeMazin. :lol...Have you never heard the songs: Old Triple Six, Red Rum, or Triple Six Clubhouse :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom