• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3k

HiResDes said:
They're called Three 6 Mafia, Jay'z name isn't FreeMazin. :lol...Have you never heard the songs: Old Triple Six, Red Rum, or Triple Six Clubhouse :lol

nah havent heard but it was marketing ploy to stand out... didnt work until their music got some buzz and then it was typical rap

they say it all the time in interviews, god is their way :lol i doubt juicy j, dj paul holding satanic rituals in private... its was just a ploy and now they live with it cause theyve been around for like 17 years or something

HiResDes said:
They're called Three 6 Mafia, Jay'z name isn't FreeMazin. :lol...Have you never heard the songs: Old Triple Six, Red Rum, or Triple Six Clubhouse :lol

Sounds like general gangsta rap bullshit to me.

hubes

Pinko Marx said:
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Lupe should be top 5

Yeah I have no idea why Lupe wouldn't be considered. I'll admit that I don't know much (anything) about Gucci but how the hell is he on there over someone who's first 2 albums are classics and is one of the most lyrical rappers ever?

For anyone interested, the final list they came up with is:

10) Ross
9) Jadakiss
8) Jeezy
7) Drake
6) Luda
5) T.I.
4) 50
3) Kanye
2) Wayne
1) Em

I'll admit, I like Gucci, but that might be because I have no choice but to like Gucci, living in ATL and all. I mean, dude is pretty much pounded into your ears everywhere you go, you have no choice but to like him, or kill yourself.
I like him in the same way I like 50. I'm not gunna sit there and try to defend their music, it is what it is, mindless gangsta radio rap. But they're fucking good at it. And sometimes I don't feel the need to get all introspective and deep with it, sometimes I just wanna listen to music about fucking bitches, cars, and drugs.

hubes

Pinko Marx said:
I'll admit, I like Gucci, but that might be because I have no choice but to like Gucci, living in ATL and all. I mean, dude is pretty much pounded into your ears everywhere you go, you have no choice but to like him, or kill yourself.
I like him in the same way I like 50. I'm not gunna sit there and try to defend their music, it is what it is, mindless gangsta radio rap. But they're fucking good at it. And sometimes I don't feel the need to get all introspective and deep with it, sometimes I just wanna listen to music about fucking bitches, cars, and drugs.
Is there an album or mixtape from Gucci that you recommend I check out? I'm pretty much open to any type of rap so maybe I'll enjoy it.

m3k

hubes said:
Yeah I have no idea why Lupe wouldn't be considered. I'll admit that I don't know much (anything) about Gucci but how the hell is he on there over someone who's first 2 albums are classics and is one of the most lyrical rappers ever?

10) Ross
9) Jadakiss
8) Jeezy
7) Drake
6) Luda
5) T.I.
4) 50
3) Kanye
2) Wayne
1) Em

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

but i suppose i couldnt make a better list, i havent really cared since about many newer artists or ones that blew up since 02 or 03... lupe should get a mention but hes got no weight commercially

and if thats the case i thought game wouldve been a better place than jadakiss (only for exposure)

hubes said:
Is there an album or mixtape from Gucci that you recommend I check out? I'm pretty much open to any type of rap so maybe I'll enjoy it.

The State vs. Radric Davis
Writing on the Wall
Mr. Zone 6
The Burrprint 3-D: The Movie

If I had to go with one, it'd be The State vs. Radric Davis.

HiResDes

hubes said:
Dude just get Mr. Zone 6 or his album The Appeal Georgia's Most Wanted...I look at my Itunes and under Gucci Mane, I have 125 songs :lol...But yeah I will not even comment on the absurdity of that last...Was Jay-Z just excluded, as I'd like to think that he'd be a popular pick. Fuck, no Ghostface, no sell.

I really don't think I could listen to Gucci Mane or Three Six Mafia or something like that. Aside from the content of their songs being the exact opposite of what I consider to be worthwhile lyrics, most mainstream southern rap sounds like shit to me even from a production standpoint. If I'm at a party or something then sure, but I'm not going to devote time listening to Gucci Mane or something when I'm aware of such better rappers.

The M.O.B

If there is one thing I can say about Gucci, is that he has an eye for good beats.

I mean, I like to listen to mindless rap every once in awhile, but the fact that Gucci constantly suffers from a stuffed up nose and never pronounces words normally(seriously wtf, sounds like he never learned English properly), and seems to never have a solid flow makes it kinda hard.

I got a lot of The Game, T.I, some 50, and some other randoms like Lloyd Banks, Ross, Chamillionaire, Jeezy, even some old Ludacris(His last album was Awful). So I do my fair share of rolling down the street with the bass pumped to maxiumum :D . The only thing I have of Gucci is other rappers going over his beats(Lemonade, Bingo). :kanyeshrug.gif

I'll stick with short bus shawty.

HiResDes

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that you had never heard a Gucci Mane song...I mean I hate country and never listen to the radio, but I still know what a couple of Taylor Swift songs sound like. It's just unbelievable to me. Like I don't know how someone escapes it.

Edit: Oh word, you guys are lucky then...

m3k

HiResDes said:
I don't know, I find it hard to believe that you had never heard a Gucci Mane song...I mean I hate country and never listen to the radio, but I still know what a couple of Taylor Swift songs sound like. It's just unbelievable to me. Like I don't know how someone escapes it.

ive been living in australia most of my life... even jay and weezy have a hard time cracking the pop charts and australian hiphop radio is pretty much non existent

edit: stupid wild is aight, and kush is ok... is that bun b and e40? camron and weezy?... gucci getting paid but features making it better than it should be

i switched off the radio for rap when d4l, t pain, akon, crunk, pop rap took over... not much popular stuff that brings me back, but lately it seems theres some good stuff being turned out... this not really though

edit 2: australian radio aint nothing to feel lucky about

shadowcomplex said:
i am. that was trash....no it was worse than trash.

Lemonade is an awesome song.

But while we're on the subject of bullshit music, when I was in middle school and just actually getting into music, I had the Timbaland & Magoo album and would jam out to the FREQUENTLY.
Timbaland+magoo.jpg

Motherfuckin Magoo.

Actually...I take back what I said about this being bullshit music. This shit is still bumping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3DNqEAXel0

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:

But while we're on the subject of bullshit music, when I was in middle school and just actually getting into music, I had the Timbaland & Magoo album and would jam out to the FREQUENTLY.
Timbaland+magoo.jpg

Motherfuckin Magoo.

Actually...I take back what I said about this being bullshit music. This shit is still bumping.

I was about to say. I fucking grew up on the late 90s era Aaliya, Missy, Timbaland & Magoo shit. One in a million comes on and all my friends, including my sister would just stop what they were doing immedieately.

You really couldn't beat Magoo's flow in the day when it came to this shit. RIP Aaliyah. Too fucking young.

m3k

Pinko Marx said:

Timbaland+magoo.jpg

Motherfuckin Magoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MplVbe5ys0I&feature=related
edit: whoops 02 song

i liked timbo back then but only because of aaliyah... one in a million is my shit
dmx came up in 08 so thats what was going on with me around then... with some no limit snoop mystikal and busta... i still liked the rnb then too, so some mary j as well :lol

Dabanton

Gucci is what people who don't listen to rap imagine all rappers are like.

When Gucci first started putting stuff out and the hip hop forums sort of joked that they liked him but then that has turned into a real love of him which is mind boggling as his horrible. simplistic baby rhymes.

Seriously it's basically cooning. And don't get me started on Waka Flocka.:lol

HiResDes

I used to play Warrant all the time back in the day, it's definitely a decent album...With a real cohesive sound that represents the deep south to its fucking tee.

m3k

Dabanton said:
Gucci is what people who don't listen to rap imagine all rappers are like.

When Gucci first started putting stuff out and the hip hop forums sort of joked that they liked him but then that has turned into a real love of him which is mind boggling as his horrible. simplistic baby rhymes.

Seriously it's basically cooning. And don't get me started on Waka Flocka.:lol

i checked out waka flocka today too... not good enough, smh

hes repping bloods hard so i guess thats his angle right?

i read about gucci and laughed at him too like wtf... i like jeezy but after that chain snatchin shootout thing i thought well that makes him less of a joke than most of the industry... but still how did he get popular?

like i look at old ti and i get it, even if i cant into much of his new stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5Ce6za4Co

this still good and you can see it blowing up locally and then nationally... what gucci blow up on?

HiResDes

Yeah I never listen to Gucci when I'm by myself...But when you're at a party and THIS comes on with some big ass subs...HOLY SHIT! I don't know how a person can't get hyped. :lol

hubes said:

10) Ross
9) Jadakiss
8) Jeezy
7) Drake
6) Luda
5) T.I.
4) 50
3) Kanye
2) Wayne
1) Em

It's like they chose every rapper with multiple hit songs and threw them on a list. smh

Would be interesting to put together a list like that. Dunno where I'd start

HiResDes

Last ten years right?

1. Jay-Z
2. Ghostface Killah
3. Nas
4. Kanye
5. Eminem
6. Abstract Rude
7. MF Doom
8. Common
9. Qwel
10. Lil'Wayne

Honorable Mentions: Young Jeezy; Lupe, he didn't make it just because he's been pissing me off :lol

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:
It's like they chose every rapper with multiple hit songs and threw them on a list. smh

Would be interesting to put together a list like that. Dunno where I'd start

Well its BET viewer voted right? That would make sense

DominoKid

HiResDes said:
Last ten years right?

1. Jay-Z
2. Ghostface Killah
3. Nas
4. Kanye
5. Eminem
6. Abstract Rude
7. MF Doom
8. Qwel
9. Lil' Wayne
10. Lupe

nah. it was artists who debut solo album came out since 1999 i think.

hence no Jay, Nas, Ghostface

HiResDes

But I must say even as a far of Jadakiss I think as a whole Styles P's albums have been better overall. And though he has a lot of hater Cam'ron should definitely be on there.

SoulPlaya said:
People honestly think Three 6 Mafia is satanic? Juicy J's father is a preacher, lol.

no I don't believe that, I was just talking about the irony of their groups name and how they praise God at their acceptance speaches. I doubt a satanist would praise God under any circumstance :lol

HiResDes

Revised list to meet the requirements:

1. Kanye
2. Eminem
3. Elzhi
4. Qwel
5. Cam'ron
6. Young Jeezy
7. Big Boi
8. Shad
9. Lupe Fiasco
10 K-Os

Honorable Mention: T.I.

Edit: In my defense I was talking about allusions to satanism, which I believe there are in a couple of their songs...I'm not claiming that they actually are satanists.

Tokubetsu

Net_Wrecker said:
Just because I liked that song and Audio Dope II, it would be great if someone would list Curren$y's top projects. I'm in the mood for a new artist, and I've been hearing about dude for too long now.

You want these 2 albums right here:
2rp9Z.jpg
G41nn.jpg

Pilot Talk & Jet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom