• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

JEKKI said:
Worst Fears Confirmed
Triangulation Station
Minstrel Show
Monkey Barz
SONOGRAM
Die Rugged Man Die
No Said Date
Game Theory
Break Glass
A Piece of Strange

BAM! 10 albums better than Be!

Be is still a great album tho...

Die Rugged Man Die is a compilation isn't it? Does that count? There are a LOT of albums I'd put over Be though to be honest. Common has never really done it for me.

dvdjamm said:
Mood Musik 4 : A Turn 4 The Worst - Joe Budden

http://usershare.net/vu76j3w9yosh

JoeBudden13.jpg

This is really, really, really, really, really good. Mood Muzik 4 and Death Is Silent are definitely going to be fighting for my #1 spot this year. October's been a GREAT month.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ashhong said:
Thought I would share here too

Kanye West - Dont Look Down ft. Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Big Sean

If he updates this with a better mix it will be awesome.

http://kwesthosting.s3.amazonaws.co...n (feat. Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco & Big Sean).mp3
Don't like it much.

My reasons:

- Dammit Mos Def, just SPIT. Beat dropped, and I thought, "oh Mos is gonna kill this....." Then he came in singing. "Fuck."

- Starting to realize that I can't stand the way Lupe enunciates the last word of each bar. Has it always been this way?

- Kanye adding effects over his voice was getting old to me, yesterday.

- Big Sean is a bum. He's a Drake clone, full stop.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
ShinobiFist said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpq1oKOd9nE

This is too fucking awesome, BARAKA FLOCKA FLAME, N****!

:lol This is actually pretty damn funny. "Michelle Obama" is hilarious.

Also, Common's BE is a great album, but it's about 3 tracks short of being a classic. Sometimes brevity works (illmatic) but in this case, BE really felt like it needed to be a tad bit longer.

Nabs

that new ye song is meh. don't know what lupe is doing. so kanye is just going to filter the hell out of his voice on every song now?

apana

Man I used to be so into hip hop, but really fell out of love with it for the past year or two. I think the last two albums I bought were BP3 and Relapse, absolute trash and a waste of money btw. What was the consensus on the Nas and Damian Marley album, what about Recovery? I may start up again with Big Boi's latest album, I've heard a few incredible songs from that one on you tube. Anybody want to give me their top five songs of 2010?

Recon

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
I dare anyone that thinks Gucci can't rap to listen to this here song and tell me he doesn't go in. Seriously.

Also, that Lil B song goes in, fuck da hataz.

Both songs are horrible, at least that Lil B song had an excellent instrumental going for it. And yes, i gave that gucci song a listen, besides sounding like crap, he doesnt say anything of value.

Recon

Banned
apana said:
Man I used to be so into hip hop, but really fell out of love with it for the past year or two. I think the last two albums I bought were BP3 and Relapse, absolute trash and a waste of money btw. What was the consensus on the Nas and Damian Marley album, what about Recovery? I may start up again with Big Boi's latest album, I've heard a few incredible songs from that one on you tube. Anybody want to give me their top five songs of 2010?

Mine would be

1.All of the Lights(and this is before the final version, so it could change)-Kanye West
2. Dear God 2.0-The Roots
3. So Appalled-Kanye Ft.Jayz,Pusha T,etc.
4.Rhythm of the Rain-Kno
5.Black and Yellow-Wiz Khalifa

Honorable mention would be "This Plane" by Wiz Khalifa, but i think that was 2009...still bang it all the damn time.

Thats what im currently always playing, but, that is subject to change at any point lol.

Edit:sorry about the double post!

K.Jack said:
Don't like it much.

My reasons:

- Dammit Mos Def, just SPIT. Beat dropped, and I thought, "oh Mos is gonna kill this....." Then he came in singing. "Fuck."

- Starting to realize that I can't stand the way Lupe enunciates the last word of each bar. Has it always been this way?

- Kanye adding effects over his voice was getting old to me, yesterday.

- Big Sean is a bum. He's a Drake clone, full stop.

I'm not big fan and I agree with most of what you said except that Drake is actually a Big Sean clone. Big Sean started to whole " I'm so cold...ice" bullshit.

ReconYoda said:
Both songs are horrible, at least that Lil B song had an excellent instrumental going for it. And yes, i gave that gucci song a listen, besides sounding like crap, he doesnt say anything of value.

You don't listen to Gucci if you're wanting a deep message or something. Hes strictly gangsta and brag raps, and theres nothing wrong with that, as long as he raps well enough. Theres different times, places, moods, and most importantly markets for different types of Hip-Hop. I just don't see why people can't like the underground and the mainstream shit.

Recon

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
You don't listen to Gucci if you're wanting a deep message or something. Hes strictly gangsta and brag raps, and theres nothing wrong with that, as long as he raps well enough. Theres different times, places, moods, and most importantly markets for different types of Hip-Hop. I just don't see why people can't like the underground and the mainstream shit.

I have no problem with Gangsta rap or brag rapping, i just dont see him bringing anything new or even good to the table. Hes not even clever. His whole crew is pathetic(OJ,Wacka...ughhh). Oh well, good for you if you like that kinda thing tho, but that constant "Burr" shit gets on my damn nerves.

see5harp

apana said:

Skip nas skip em buy the big boi. My fav songs are not rap but my fav rap albums are big boi and the roots.

Recon

Banned
see5harp said:
Skip nas skip em buy the big boi. My fav songs are not rap but my fav rap albums are big boi and the roots.

I agree kinda, i still think the nas+damien album is worth a listen to, but the new Big Boi and New The Roots albums were fucking amazing.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:

Too bad its him streaming some live concert or something? I don't know. It's more Jay Electronica horse shit. I don't even want Act II anymore. This is disgusting. At least Blu has the decency to leak shitty unmixed tracks but keep his fucking mouth shit this entire time.

Tokubetsu said:
Too bad its him streaming some live concert or something? I don't know. It's more Jay Electronica horse shit. I don't even want Act II anymore. This is disgusting. At least Blu has the decency to leak shitty unmixed tracks but keep his fucking mouth shit this entire time.

Yes. Its...Its depressing to say the least. At this point it possibility can't live up to all the hype for the time it took to release Act II. /sigh

DominoKid

ReconYoda said:
I have no problem with Gangsta rap or brag rapping, i just dont see him bringing anything new or even good to the table. Hes not even clever. His whole crew is pathetic(OJ,Wacka...ughhh). Oh well, good for you if you like that kinda thing tho, but that constant "Burr" shit gets on my damn nerves.

Man flockaveli is the hardest album out.

Sometimes you need to put all the other shit aside and go hard.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
apana said:

well according to my itunes. My most listened to songs this year are a bunch of my own garbage. But after that its

5. Fashawn - When she calls
4. Various big boi songs (mostly all tied for amount of listens)
3. Brother Ali - tightrope
2. The Illz - Come in
1. Atmosphere - the best day (love this song so fucking much)

honorable mention (all right behind the top 5)

J.Lately - Matter Much / Real Woman
K-os - beauty is a loaded gun / zambony remix
Kali - ease your pain
Kid Cudi - mojo so dope / revofev / mr.rager
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The End / otherside
Mosdub - History town
Royce the 5'9 - I hate your pants
Skuf'L - Flawless / stop sign
Wreckonize - fighting fish
Jon Hope -Still breathin'
Game - you are the blood (one of the sickest tracks game has done in a long time)
cobe obeah - young bachelor
Bishop Lamont feat. Talib Kweli - get em girl
Asher Roth - Ash and Dem
Atmosphere - the number none

JEKKI

Tokubetsu said:
Die Rugged Man Die is a compilation isn't it? Does that count? There are a LOT of albums I'd put over Be though to be honest. Common has never really done it for me.
nahhh... Die Rugged Man Die is his actual album, and an absolutely fantastic one.

Legendary Classics vol. 1 was an official compilation released late last year of his, which actually didnt offer much anything new if you've ever checked out all the bootlegged mp3 compilations ppl had always put out over the internet

Ashhong

Knux-Future said:
I'm not big fan and I agree with most of what you said except that Drake is actually a Big Sean clone. Big Sean started to whole " I'm so cold...ice" bullshit.

When did Big Sean start this? I thought Kanye has been doing it since before Graduation.

HiResDes

Just going off of Common's stellar discography, I think you could easily make the argument that he's one of the top ten greatest rappers of all time.

Zonar

Dreams-Visions said:
Hip-Hop GAF.

True or False: Be (Common) was one of the top 10 hip-hop albums last decade.

True.

Hip-Hop GAF.
Rah%2BDigga%2B-%2BDirty%2BHarriet%2B-%2BFront.jpg

True or False: Dirty Harriet was the best female rap album ever.

HiResDes said:
Just going off of Common's stellar discography, I think you could easily make the argument that he's one of the top ten greatest rappers of all time.

I'm hesitant to give him that title, but he deserves to be in the conversation at the very least.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^LOL
HiResDes said:

Hungry

Ends any debate on whether Common is Top 10. Furious, genius bars.

(do I need an IMO here?)

Threi

notag
HiResDes said:
I put him over nas.

yeah i did just state that, suck it.

Dirty Harriet was always seriously underrated to me. I remember buying that way back when, but it never really caught on I guess. That Harriet Thugman beat is still my shit. On a somewhat related note, this was one of my favorite albums when it came out as well:

61166.jpg

apana said:

1) Kno - They Told Me
2) Atmosphere - The Best Day
3) The Roots - Dear God 2.0
4) Dessa - Mineshaft 2
5) Kno - I Wish I Was Dead

edit- honorable mention:
Macklemore - Otherside remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom