• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
19-Pop-Champagne.gif

That's the best gif I've seen in a while. Dude in front is all like, "Oh shi--did I just pop my bottle? I DON'T EVEN CARE I JUST WANT IT ALL OVER MY FACE."

DominoKid

The M.O.B said:
I finally remembered why I had such hate towards Wiz for a long time, this was the first song that I heard of his. Generic club/dance song, he sounded like he was gonna release one popular track and then fade into irrelevance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MIHfZxIdQ&feature=related

i hated that song with vigorous passion when it came out.
then i heard it again randomly after a year of not hearing it and i loved it

go figure.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
say what you want, but it's actually a good club/party song. wiz isnt actually much different these days than that song. he just talks about weed more.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
freddie-is-the-future-510.jpg

Download:http://limelinx.com/files/d46f7bb89ada9491ece77eaea81fb408

Gangsta Rap died and was reborn as Freddie Gibbs! his southern accent took some getting used to for me but this is a dope ass mixtape! :lol

Freddie Gibbs is the future of rap. Don’t believe me? Download Freddie Is The Future, listen from start to finish, and ask yourself, “is Freddie Gibbs the future of rap?” The answer will be obvious. The 16 track, Best of Freddie Gibbs type mixtape was put together by yours truly and has received rave reviews from the Hipset. I had to re-up the link because the first got so many downloads. Freddie Is The Future features Freddie Gibbs songs recorded before the release of Str8 Killa No Filla and Str8 Killa EP, which you should buy on Amazon.

http://www.hiptics.com/2010/09/15/freddie-gibbs-one-of-the-best-rappers-alive/

K.Jack said:
I freaking love this song. I think I posted it like 10 pages ago, and not one person commented.

His lyrics are so... genuine. Like damn, he really captured life on this one.

"Fire in my eyes, mix my soul with the napalm"

He isn't the best rapper, but that line is genius to me.

I don't get it though. That one song is fucking great, but then he has like 50 million other songs that a just plain HORRIBLE. Is he just a giant troll or what?

Pinko Marx said:
I don't get it though. That one song is fucking great, but then he has like 50 million other songs that a just plain HORRIBLE. Is he just a giant troll or what?

No real difference between something like this and thousands of other bands with one decent song and a catalog of 5+ albums that nobody listens to. Everybody gets one.

Recon

Banned
K.Jack said:
I freaking love this song. I think I posted it like 10 pages ago, and not one person commented.

His lyrics are so... genuine. Like damn, he really captured life on this one.

"Fire in my eyes, mix my soul with the napalm"

He isn't the best rapper, but that line is genius to me.

Sounds and looks almost exactly like eli porter.......

m3k

Pinko Marx said:

being lyrical rarely means getting paid

and on the flip side eventually everyone puts something out thats dope... ive been proven wrong hating on so many rappers by some song they eventually release that i think is dope that i have to shut my mouth haha

DominoKid

Pinko Marx said:

Basedgodhunnidthousand!

No but he's actually a pretty good rapper. More people are interested in that hoes on my dick pretty bitch shit he does so he plays that up

Imm0rt4l

GAF-Hop

Any of you guys used to listen, or still listen to Papoose? Maybe 5-6 years ago I was really heavy into his stuff, he put out mixtape after mixtape, and I seriously thought this dude could've been the next Big L. The Nacirema Dream never came out and the shit I hear him drop here and there are all really horrible. I don't know what the fuck happened to that guy, last I heard he got married to Remy Ma before she went to jail. I haven't been following dude at all anymore. Dude dropped fire from "Beast in the East" til "a Threat and a Promise".

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lil B is awful. Even that track was a half assed attempt at saying something meaningful. He sounds borderline retarded, and absolutely no concept of flow.

And what the fuck is he wearing?

Tokubetsu

Imm0rt4l said:
GAF-Hop

Any of you guys used to listen, or still listen to Papoose? Maybe 5-6 years ago I was really heavy into his stuff, he put out mixtape after mixtape, and I seriously thought this dude could've been the next Big L. The Nacirema Dream never came out and the shit I hear him drop here and there are all really horrible. I don't know what the fuck happened to that guy, last I heard he got married to Remy Ma before she went to jail. I haven't been following dude at all anymore. Dude dropped fire from "Beast in the East" til "a Threat and a Promise".

Running joke was his feature on that one Novel/Joell Ortiz track was the best verse he's had in like 7 years :lol
http://vimeo.com/5427946

Love how he still rocks flashy ass jackets. :lol

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Lil B is awful. Even that track was a half assed attempt at saying something meaningful. He sounds borderline retarded, and absolutely no concept of flow.

And what the fuck is he wearing?
yeah, couldn't get through the whole track... beat was nice though

Never liked Papoose. Always struck me as a thesaurus/dictionary abuser. I can imagine him going to the library to come up with new lists of shit to rap about, like the military chain of command or the nervous system.

But at one point he was being billed at the next big NY dude. Now no one cares about NY lol

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
PhoenixDark said:
Never liked Papoose. Always struck me as a thesaurus/dictionary abuser. I can imagine him going to the library to come up with new lists of shit to rap about, like the military chain of command or the nervous system.

But at one point he was being billed at the next big NY dude. Now no one cares about NY lol

Yeah I remember when I kept hearing that he was "the next big thing". Now that I think about it, I think he was the only one spreading that around lol.
Was never impressed by him. Just another new york rapper who tried to say nothing in a clever way, but failed more often than succeeded.

effzee

PhoenixDark said:

I still prefer East Coast rap over all and any but yeah Papoose is sad. His first freestyle I heard I was like wow but then I paid attention to what he was saying and I realized he wasn't saying anything. Just words that rhymed well together. And he can't even do that now.

Imm0rt4l

Tokubetsu said:
Running joke was his feature on that one Novel/Joell Ortiz track was the best verse he's had in like 7 years :lol
http://vimeo.com/5427946

Love how he still rocks flashy ass jackets. :lol
lol, I heard the verse when it dropped. I agree with that running joke, it's the best thing he did in a long fucking time.

Tokubetsu

Dreams-Visions said:
Hip-Hop GAF.

True or False: Be (Common) was one of the top 10 hip-hop albums last decade.

*Waits for the Common haters and the Like Water For Chocolate is his last great album supporters to pour in*

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
tempting, but...

Be is dope

and this is dope too, damn
2w2xylv

Random not about what Kno had to say/is proudest of on the album:
With DIS leaking, many people are asking me what my favorite song is or what my favorite beat was, etc. and I just wanted to share the #1 thing I’m proud of accomplishing with this record:

I feel that, even as a producer first/rapper second and with all the attention that will be paid to the beats, there are no two songs on this record where I “rap the same”.

The content, approach, delivery, flow, tone, etc. of every song is very specific to the content, swing of the beat, mood of the backdrop, placement in the thematic progress of the record, etc.—and I don’t think too many professional rappers can say that about any record in their catalog. Frankly, many of my favorite rappers have 1-2 styles tops.

The double & triple entendres & “whisper” delivery of “La Petite Mort” vs. straight up battle raps on “Graveyard” vs. bouncy “Southernunderground” verse on “When I Was Young” vs. contemplative, plodding, “breakbeat symbiosis” verse on “They Told Me” vs. the weird, off-kilter storytelling on “I Wish I was Dead” vs. strict wordplay & narrator’s tone of “Death Is Silent” etc.

I set out to cover a bunch of bases from a rapping standpoint and I feel like I did it. It’s a subtle thing and many people might just single out the song with the rapping “style” they like best and that will be there favorite verse, and I’m totally cool with that…but I hope over repeated listens people give the lyrics the time and attention they deserve.

I didn’t want to make a typical “producer-rapper” album where the dope beats just hide the fact the producer ain’t saying SHIT.

Straight from the QN5 forums.

Recon

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Hip-Hop GAF.

Was a good album from Common, but best of the Decade? Hmmm, maybe top 20, but i dont think it would crack my top 10.

JEKKI

Dreams-Visions said:
Hip-Hop GAF.

Worst Fears Confirmed
Triangulation Station
Minstrel Show
Monkey Barz
SONOGRAM
Die Rugged Man Die
No Said Date
Game Theory
Break Glass
A Piece of Strange

BAM! 10 albums better than Be!

Be is still a great album tho...

IrishNinja

Dreams-Visions said:
Hip-Hop GAF.

i'ma go with true. i love, love, love the intro track "Be" (though Byron Crawford was on when he said "diggable planets want their bass line back":lol ), Go, The Food, it's your world (so cool at the end was fun too), etc...his best effort in years, great album. it also helps the shit dropped when nothing else (that i knew of) was going on in hip-hop, kinda like when i found Shad's "The Old Prince".

Nabs

I'm not gonna talk bad about Be, but it's probably not in my top 20.

er... i posted the cover for the good friday song, but it was kinda nsfw. guess it's coming soon. don't look down featuring mos def and lupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom