• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
Well if you want to get technical you could actually attribute it to Lil' Wayne as well...
The right answer.

Wayne popularized it around Go DJ -> Fireman and it jumped off pretty hard.

My chain Toucan Sam...

Quick Draw McGraw, I went to art school

and so on

JEKKI

Zonar said:
Hip-Hop GAF.
Rah%2BDigga%2B-%2BDirty%2BHarriet%2B-%2BFront.jpg

True or False: Dirty Harriet was the best female rap album ever.
False!

kollage.jpg

HiResDes

Kanye seriously needs to sign Add-2.

Even in a staring contest you couldn’t see me. Cleanin’ up the mess you can call me shamwow. I sound like Shyne then you sound like Shyne now. Wowwww

Edit: Spare None, best mixtape track of the year?
Edit 2: Best Mixtape of the year? True or False?
Edit 3: The next few posts better be about Add-2 :lol
Edit 4: I should have lied and labeled it Lupe Fiasco, everyone would be going nuts. :lol

Imm0rt4l

LOZLINK said:
False

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5bk8SiADEpY/SnAtfmwBXzI/AAAAAAAADHU/40JS0ZqGvE4/s400/miseducation+of+lauryn+hill.jpg[IMG]
In before "it's not hip hop"[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is going to make that argument.

IrishNinja

love Lauryn, love that album, adore the unplugged one, hate my dumbass friend who always argues "she didn't write any of that shit! it was all common & ghost writers she didnt credit" etc etc.

since we're dropping classic Missy, what about some MC Lyte?

IrishNinja said:
love Lauryn, love that album, adore the unplugged one, hate my dumbass friend who always argues "she didn't write any of that shit! it was all common & ghost writers she didnt credit" etc etc.

since we're dropping classic Missy, what about some MC Lyte?

It's true though lol, a bunch of people wrote that album for her and she tried ripping them off when it came to royalties. Kinda wonder if that's part of the reason she hasn't done much of anything since that album.

IrishNinja

PhoenixDark said:
It's true though lol, a bunch of people wrote that album for her and she tried ripping them off when it came to royalties. Kinda wonder if that's part of the reason she hasn't done much of anything since that album.

yeah, i read some of it on wiki, shit was disheartening. still, i dont know if there's any accusations on her unplugged set, and again, i loved that.
she could rap/sing circles around the other fugees (and i dig wyclef), as well as most talent these days...you're right but i hate hearing that shit.:lol

*edit: link the G.O.O.D. freestyle when its online!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just found the 2010 Hip Hop awards on BET and saw the part were G.O.O.D. music did a freestyle (Kanye, Common, etc), it was awesome.

Same here, I just saw it a few minutes ago. I swear, Pusha T's going to release a godly solo album one day.

Tokubetsu

OrangeGrayBlue said:
1) Kno - They Told Me
2) Atmosphere - The Best Day
3) The Roots - Dear God 2.0
4) Dessa - Mineshaft 2
5) Kno - I Wish I Was Dead

edit- honorable mention:
Macklemore - Otherside remix

The beat and sample on "I Wish I Was Dead" is just perfect. Then you get Tonedeff's perfect fucking verse and the song just blasts you away.

"I simply revisit the day that misery came/ and I wait for the light at the end of the tunnel until it hits me/ And it was a train"

PBY

Banned
HiResDes said:
Is that different from the actual album? If not, I'm just gonna wait until the November release.
I've heard rumors that the actual release is gonna have the samples removed... so you may wanna grab this version

Also, its kinda weird how there's zero Kanye talk in this thread...

Ashhong

peterb0y said:
I've heard rumors that the actual release is gonna have the samples removed... so you may wanna grab this version

Also, its kinda weird how there's zero Kanye talk in this thread...

Most of it goes straight to the dedicated Kanye thread

IrishNinja said:
yeah, i read some of it on wiki, shit was disheartening. still, i dont know if there's any accusations on her unplugged set, and again, i loved that.
she could rap/sing circles around the other fugees (and i dig wyclef), as well as most talent these days...you're right but i hate hearing that shit.:lol

*edit: link the G.O.O.D. freestyle when its online!

Dunno about the unplugged set. It has some awesome stuff on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phzw1VcM0l8

She's an amazing talent, it's such a damn shame she has been completely engulfed by a cult.

The two became inseparable, and Hill began starting many of her sentences with the words, "Brother Anthony says . . . " Shortly after recording Unplugged, Hill told MTV Online, "I met someone who has an understanding of the Bible like no one else I ever met in my life. I just sat at [his] feet and ingested pure Scripture for about a year." But Hill's friends found Brother Anthony bizarre. "His whole demeanor was real possessive, aggressive and crooked to me," a friend says. "You know how people are slick? He's a quick talker."

No one was certain what church he was from or what religion he belonged to. "I don't think he had a religion," a friend says. "I think he was more like, 'My interpretation of the Bible is the only interpretation of the Bible. I'm the only one on earth that knows the truth.' "

"Brother Anthony was definitely on some other shit," Pras says. "I had a tape of [his teachings]. That shit is ill. Fucked me up. I can't really explain it. It was some weird shit, man. It was some real cult shit. When I heard the tape, I couldn't believe that this dude was really serious. He was sayin', 'Give up all your money.' I don't know if that meant 'Give it to me' or whatever, but on the tape he said, 'Money doesn't mean anything.' "

Many believe Brother Anthony drove a wedge between Hill and the rest of the world. "It was like she was being brainwashed by this man," a friend says, "believing everything he was saying and tellin' her what to do." Another friend says, "I think he's just looking at a cash cow."
http://www.toure.com/CONTENT/ARTICLES/laurenhill.htm
:(

I remember a few years ago she was recording with Kanye West.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Been watching the up in smoke tour concert DVD recently after many years. Man that was such an epic concert. When Dre rolls out in his impala, the crowd going fucking insane, he busts into let me ride...damn...just chills. The entire concert is amazing. I recommend that anybody who hasn't seen it go watch it right now. It's very much worth it.

HiResDes

In non Add-2 related news, the Wiz song is fucking bonkers especially in the car:

Wiz Khalifa - In My Car (Tha Puff Bus) Ft. Juicy J

Edit: Oh and Mood Muzik 4 is indeed amazing - Although I think I might like the album version better as the samples are a little much especially on 1000 faces...They are downright annoying.

October is absurd:

1. Joe Buddon - Mood Music 4
2. Add-2 -Tale of Two's City Vol. 4
3. Skyzoo & Illmind - Live From The Tape Deck
4. Kno - Death is Silent
5. Co$$ - Relevations

JEKKI

Reks is still awesome!! dood killed it last nite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOH4aEF8TE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_Ez9qv80M

story time; the venue last nite doest serve alcohol. So Statik Selektah and Termanology went out and brought back a bunch of booze, and they were going around handing out cups and pouring drinks for everybody for free! and they kept on getting on the mic like yo we got booze in the front of the stage! come and get some!!

and man... Term is maad short! lol

RPS37

20100904-KENDRICKOD.jpg

Mediafire link

This came out some time around last month. Came back to re-listen to it again today.
I dig it a bit. If only just for the first track.
It's also been on iTunes for a little while if you really like it.

MMaRsu

220px-Timbaland%26MagooIndecentProposal.jpg

What do you guys think of this album? It's certainly one of my favorite hiphop albums.. at that time I was really starting to get into hiphop and rocked this album for quite some time on my old cd player..

Has some great tracks on it for sure :).

The M.O.B

Ugh, so much music coming out, I have like 15 mixtapes sitting here waiting to be listened to.

I'm still repeating Death is Silent and starting on this Mood Muzik 4 now.

I always laugh at the people saying "There is no more good music these days" or "I just listened to the radio for the past hour, and I can tell you that HIPHOP is DEADZ, what? the best hip-hop is not all over the radio? aww shucks".

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
mooooose said:
Lil B has like five songs sampling that same Imogen Heap song.

And yes, they are all really awesome.

That beat is too good for him, IMO. I could just listen to the instrumental all day.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
MMaRsu said:
220px-Timbaland%26MagooIndecentProposal.jpg

What do you guys think of this album? It's certainly one of my favorite hiphop albums.. at that time I was really starting to get into hiphop and rocked this album for quite some time on my old cd player..

Has some great tracks on it for sure :).

Magoo is like somebody cloned Q-Tip, but removed the clone from it's clone bath too early and as a result ended up with a pale imitation of the original.
In other words he is so bad he makes Gucci Mane look like a brilliant lyricist.
But the production is fantastic.

if this whole rap thing doesn't work out, Nicki Minaj would probably have a lucrative career in voice acting. She could do every character in a show!

PBY

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Just watched it. Mac Lethal's 3rd verse is the kind of stuff that would make me quit rapping if it was directed at me :lol
yeah... his quadruple time line also was great:lol

RPS37 said:
You didn't write a verse for my favorite one? (Not At the End) Why not?
Part of me felt guilty for jacking the whole album so I figured I would leave at least one untouched :lol

Actually, it's probably my least favorite beat on the album. It's not bad or anything, but it just doesn't grab me as much I guess. I may revisit it later though. 2 week vacation coming up soon, so lots more time for writing and gaming!

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
In non Add-2 related news, the Wiz song is fucking bonkers especially in the car:

Wiz Khalifa - In My Car (Tha Puff Bus) Ft. Juicy J

Edit: Oh and Mood Muzik 4 is indeed amazing - Although I think I might like the album version better as the samples are a little much especially on 1000 faces...They are downright annoying.

October is absurd:

1. Joe Buddon - Mood Music 4
2. Add-2 -Tale of Two's City Vol. 4
3. Skyzoo & Illmind - Live From The Tape Deck
4. Kno - Death is Silent
5. Co$$ - Relevations

The album version? Is this the album version?

Ashhong said:
When did Big Sean start this? I thought Kanye has been doing it since before Graduation.

I imagine it was Kanye, although personally I wish so many other rappers would stop using it. It feels like a painfully forced device most of the time.

While I’m bitching, I’d be happy if most rappers would stop using the “Geddit?! See what I did thar?” line to point out a nice metaphor/simile. I know Jigga started doing that when he complained people weren’t getting his lyrics and a fair few other rappers did it at times as well, but christ, it seems like every other rapper is now breaking their lines to try and make out no one actually listens to lyrics. If you’re rapping hard about drugs, tricks and guns, it seems kinda strange you’re insecure about whether your fans are going to get your triple entendre. We don’t need Cliff Notes; that’s what repeated listening is for…

cbrotherson said:
I imagine it was Kanye, although personally I wish so many other rappers would stop using it. It feels like a painfully forced device most of the time.

While I’m bitching, I’d be happy if most rappers would stop using the “Geddit?! See what I did thar?” line to point out a nice metaphor/simile. I know Jigga started doing that when he complained people weren’t getting his lyrics and a fair few other rappers did it at times as well, but christ, it seems like every other rapper is now breaking their lines to try and make out no one actually listens to lyrics. If you’re rapping hard about drugs, tricks and guns, it seems kinda strange you’re insecure about whether your fans are going to get your triple entendre. We don’t need Cliff Notes; that’s what repeated listening is for…

They just tryna help you see...vision.

GET IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom