• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Net_Wrecker said:
They just tryna help you see...vision.

GET IT?

Should have seen that coming :lol (Ron Jeremy) :lol

Oh, and forgot to say - saw the DOOM gig couple weeks back at Brixton. We decent enough, did an hour and was actually on time for his set. The sound quality wasnt great (couldnt really hear his lyrics clearly over the bass and boom) but he was lively and fun. Herbalizer had a great performance just before him too.

I think most of us were just happy the real DOOM turned up...

cbrotherson said:
I imagine it was Kanye, although personally I wish so many other rappers would stop using it. It feels like a painfully forced device most of the time.

While I’m bitching, I’d be happy if most rappers would stop using the “Geddit?! See what I did thar?” line to point out a nice metaphor/simile. I know Jigga started doing that when he complained people weren’t getting his lyrics and a fair few other rappers did it at times as well, but christ, it seems like every other rapper is now breaking their lines to try and make out no one actually listens to lyrics. If you’re rapping hard about drugs, tricks and guns, it seems kinda strange you’re insecure about whether your fans are going to get your triple entendre. We don’t need Cliff Notes; that’s what repeated listening is for…

haha, I have the same pet peeve. RIP and all that but, "GET IT! 2...PAC..." annoys the shit out of me :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Saw KRIT, Wiz, and Currenzy in Houston over the weekend. Cool, chilled out show. No Wheaties live was awesome. probably the highlight of the show for me.

KRIT filmed a video in town late last night/this morning.

What is the deal with Mood Muzik? Is the version on all the mixtape sites the actual album or what? I thought they were going retail with it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'll be attending the Eyedea show on the 9th at First Ave. ( I totally missed the news since I was gone on a road trip) He was the dude that got me back into hiphop back in 2000. From Pushing Buttons to Smile and all the shit in between. I didn't ht me til I heard Sean cryin Saturday. It still trips me out.

E&A Day >>>>>

I do not wanna listen to Bottle Dreams anymore..shit was sad before this now it'll be OD sad.

The M.O.B

:lol LIL B threatens to rape Kanye

Lil-B-Kanye-Rape-Twitter-TheMaskedGorilla.com.png

Tokubetsu

The M.O.B said:
^^^^^^^

I respect it, but I just can't agree at all.

Thank me later is horrible, a huge stop down compared to So Far Gone.

The thing that has always bugged me the most about TML, are Drake's lyrics. I can kinda see why Cudi is all emo and the way he is but with Drake, he actually has the audacity to bitch and moan about things like working and bedding multiple women regularly. It just seems...empty, vapid even. I don't get that from Cudi or B.o.B. even. (Not that I care for B.o.Bs album at all...my one music purchase I've regretted in like five years).

Grzi

Himuro said:
My search for quality hip hop continues. Note to rappers: when you have albums that are more than 11-12 tracks you start to tread on the edge of boring me to death. 9-11 songs is the sweet spot. Almost all the best albums have that amount of tracks. This always seems the case with rap and these albums that get boring halfway is sooooo tired.

Listen to Teflon Don.

Threi

notag
Himuro said:
My search for quality hip hop continues. Note to rappers: when you have albums that are more than 11-12 tracks you start to tread on the edge of boring me to death. 9-11 songs is the sweet spot. Almost all the best albums have that amount of tracks. This always seems the case with rap and these albums that get boring halfway is sooooo tired.
Shad K - TSOL
The Roots - How I got over

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Grzi said:
Listen to Teflon Don.

That was a damned good album.

I was thinking about all the great releases this year so far and on top has to be Big Boi. That was good too. But Joe Budden might be about to take the top spot. Gotta give it more time for me to fully digest it, but MM4 is nice.

apparently Wu-Tang Clan (all of them...well not ODB obviously) is gonna be in Dallas on December 10th. $55 a ticket though...

are they actually good live? Not sure if 9 dudes spitting rhymes works as well on a stage as it might on a recorded album :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Back in the summer of 2000, a friend got a bunch of us tickets to see the Wu up in Cleveland.

MADNESS.

Imagine thousands of hardcore Wu fans going fucking wild, all swinging Wu-Tang towels and screaming every lyric to every song. I still get chills, just thinking about the energy.

It was the best show I've attended, by far.

Plus Killarmy opened up for them.

HiResDes

Well still kinda sample heavy, but there's more variety here than maybe 9th's ever shown. Listen to the previews on iTunes or Amazon if they have it and decide there. Honestly, with all of the other great releases this month I might just hold off unless you are a new music junkie like me. Plus I really like Big Remo. If you do get it though, you're gonna want to delete the Rapsody track instantly :lol

see5harp

soul creator said:
apparently Wu-Tang Clan (all of them...well not ODB obviously) is gonna be in Dallas on December 10th. $55 a ticket though...

are they actually good live? Not sure if 9 dudes spitting rhymes works as well on a stage as it might on a recorded album :lol

Don't pay to see them unless they have a band. They are horrible live. It's like a stage full of hype men with mics turned up way too loud.

The M.O.B said:

you're right ... it is radio friendly. Something else about the production irks me but I cannot put my finger on it. I forget the song that the chorus is based on, though. (The "ALRIGHT, ALREADY" part.)

Dunno, how to feel about it, but it is new Lupe. I guess this song was to shut Altantic up or something, since I bet they wanted more radio friendly music from Lupe.

Not digging it, though. I'll give it a few more listens. I'd even go as far as to say I like I'm Beamin over this. Go To Sleep shits on both of them though, and that's on Lupe's album AFTER Lasers. :lol

Edit: MODEST MOUSE! YES. That's it! :lol Damn it, Rockband!

spindashing said:
you're right ... it is radio friendly. Something else about the production irks me but I cannot put my finger on it.
it's poppy. bouncy. light. even though the content isn't. fake electronic "trumpets" and other instruments don't help. kinda kiddy, for lack of better words.

Dreams-Visions said:
it's poppy. bouncy. light. even though the content isn't. fake electronic "trumpets" and other instruments don't help. kinda kiddy, for lack of better words.

That's exactly how I felt. Thank you. Damn, how is he releasing a single when not that many people even heard about it? I wonder if it will actually be played on the radio from time to time...

Damn it HiResDes you were talking about that Add-2 guy before, I'll check him out, now stfu.

HiResDes

spindashing said:
That's exactly how I felt. Thank you. Damn, how is he releasing a single when not that many people even heard about it? I wonder if it will actually be played on the radio from time to time...

Damn it HiResDes you were talking about that Add-2 guy before, I'll check him out, now stfu.
:lol :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
spindashing said:
you're right ... it is radio friendly. Something else about the production irks me but I cannot put my finger on it. I forget the song that the chorus is based on, though. (The "ALRIGHT, ALREADY" part.)
!

Modest Mouse - Float On

Also, 808s didn't have a fraction of the impact that TCD had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom