• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
enzo_gt said:
I love how "bullshit rap" is frowned upon in this thread half the time, and the other half of the time it is defended with an iron fist. Just a weird duality I see.

I still don't think Gucci's beats are good enough to carry his terrible bullshit raps either. It's painful listening to the verses of Lemonade, same goes for Waka Flocka Flame and Hard In The Paint. Big Tymers did the bullshit raps & good beats thing better long, long ago.

I don't mind bullshit rap. I don't mind bullshit music in general I am one of the few people I know who is happy to listen to generic pop radio.

All I ask is if you are going to rap about bullshit, at least do it well.
Nelly, Wiz Khalifa, Game, E40...they all rap about bullshit. But they do it well. Content wise it's not much different from Gucci Mane. Money, bitches, drugs, guns, parties, repeated over and over and over. But they do it in an interesting or at the very least, aurally pleasing method. For instance E40 has a unique and interesting flow.
Gucci Mane sounds like he is recording his songs sitting on the toilet with a wicked case of constipation. Give all his beats to somebody else and I would be listening.

And Waka Flocka Flame makes Gucci sounds like a brilliant rapper. What a fucking useless shit. I'd rather listen to 3 hours of soulja boy trying to freestyle than listen to a single waka flocka song.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
siddx said:
I don't mind bullshit rap. I don't mind bullshit music in general I am one of the few people I know who is happy to listen to generic pop radio.

Nelly, Wiz Khalifa, Game, E40...they all rap about bullshit. But they do it well. Content wise it's not much different from Gucci Mane. Money, bitches, drugs, guns, parties, repeated over and over and over. But they do it in an interesting or at the very least, aurally pleasing method. For instance E40 has a unique and interesting flow.
Gucci Mane sounds like he is recording his songs sitting on the toilet with a wicked case of constipation. Give all his beats to somebody else and I would be listening.

And Waka Flocka Flame makes Gucci sounds like a brilliant rapper. What a fucking useless shit. I'd rather listen to 3 hours of soulja boy trying to freestyle than listen to a single waka flocka song.
:lol :lol :lol
this pretty much.

apana

HiResDes said:
It is, but that's mainly because of Em's awful singing on the chorus.

Its a good song, I dont know why but I've never really minded Em's singing. I just cant stand the stupid accents. It seems like he got rid of that mostly with Recovery, I'm about halfway through that album.

HiResDes

apana said:
Its a good song, I dont know why but I've never really minded Em's singing. I just cant stand the stupid accents. It seems like he got rid of that mostly with Recovery, I'm about halfway through that album.

He sounds like an alt-country pop star.

New favorite album right here.
BASTARDCOVER.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSjzdTBOWFc

Recon

Banned
siddx said:

I agree with everything in this post. Everyone defending Gucci in this thread is mind boggling. He is the worst rapper i have ever heard who has a record deal. I can barely decipher what hes saying half the time, and the half i can understand, i wish i couldnt.

DominoKid

HiResDes said:
I can't believe no one else liked the Domo Genesis tape Tyler was on...

Domo Genesis is a watered down Wiz basically

Speaking of Wiz, i'm going to see him and Big KRIT on Nov 10. so pumped.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...release-lyrical-law-featuring-k-rino-ras-kass

A onetime remix project evolves into potentially the third Canibus album of 2010, featuring Immortal Technique, Inspectah Deck and 3/4 the HRSMN.

Already in 2010, veteran New York emcee Canibus has released two albums in February's Melatonin Magik and this month's C of Tranquility. According to Rap blog UGWHH, he's far from over too.

The onetime Refugee Camp All-Stars member is said to be at work on Lyrical Law, his latest project on an increasingly expansive discography. The project reportedly began as a remix project for Melantonin Magik, but has evolved into a life of its own. The release has an album sampler posted on YouTube, but no official release date.

If legitimate to the artist, Lyrical Law is slated to feature Wu-Tang Clan's Inspectah Deck, K-Solo, Immortal Technique, Copywrite, Planet Asia, Heltah Skeltah's Rockness Monstah, Thirstin Howl III and 4 HRSMN brethren Killah Priest and Ras Kass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypS28pgbQ7o&feature=player_embedded#!

HiResDes

DominoKid said:
Domo Genesis is a watered down Wiz basically

Speaking of Wiz, i'm going to see him and Big KRIT on Nov 10. so pumped.
What? Wiz isn't even Wiz anymore...He's a watered down Curren$y.

enzo_gt said:
I love how "bullshit rap" is frowned upon in this thread half the time, and the other half of the time it is defended with an iron fist. Just a weird duality I see.

I still don't think Gucci's beats are good enough to carry his terrible bullshit raps either. It's painful listening to the verses of Lemonade, same goes for Waka Flocka Flame and Hard In The Paint. Big Tymers did the bullshit raps & good beats thing better long, long ago.

"Bullshit rap" is completely unacceptable when I'm listening to music by myself, whether in the car or at home. No amount of great production can carry a rapper like Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, or anyone else on their level, especially since half the reason I LISTEN to RAP MUSIC is for the RAPPING part of the genre.

At the same time, I don't crusade around with my "backpacker" underground sword on horseback slaying anyone that listens to them. If it's in someone else's iPod, at a party, in someone else's car, etc. etc., so be it, I don't really care. But I wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 foot pole.

EDIT: I DO have to say that I'm incredibly surprised at the amount of people that defend Gucci on the internet. Dude's completely garbage IMO.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Why are you guys mucking up this fucking thread complaining that someone else likes something you don't? Over and over and over and over again.

We get it. You don't like something other people do. WE GET IT. The past 3 pages are full of this bullshit. You aren't going to "win". You will continue to hate Gucci, etc. and others will continue to love him.

Like I said before, every other rap thread here has died because of the exact same thing. Because people stop sharing new music because they don't want to deal with this kind of backlash. So then you get the exact kinds of music posted over and over again. Just like the radio.

dskillzhtown said:
Why are you guys mucking up this fucking thread complaining that someone else likes something you don't? Over and over and over and over again.

We get it. You don't like something other people do. WE GET IT. The past 3 pages are full of this bullshit. You aren't going to "win". You will continue to hate Gucci, etc. and others will continue to love him.

Like I said before, every other rap thread here has died because of the exact same thing. Because people stop sharing new music because they don't want to deal with this kind of backlash. So then you get the exact kinds of music posted over and over again. Just like the radio.

Uhhh, all I see are 2 discussions, one complaining about Lupe's single that evolved into a Gucci/Lil B/BS rap discussion. Let's not overreact here. This thread has gone the whole month with nothing but praise for multiple releases.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
dskillzhtown said:

Overreact much? This is a thread about hip hop. We aren't going to sit around holding each others dicks and signing cumbayah. Disagreements over hip hop artists are going to arise and there is nothing wrong with that. Having a thread about hip hop that doesn't include discussion about the merits of certain rappers would be near impossible and pointless anyways. If we all have to hold hands and hug everytime somebody shares, we should just wrap it up and go post in some girl age thread. Quite frankly, we have handled our disagreements with more maturity and less hostility than 99% of other gaf threads.

Ashhong

siddx said:
Overreact much? This is a thread about hip hop. We aren't going to sit around holding each others dicks and signing cumbayah. Disagreements over hip hop artists are going to arise and there is nothing wrong with that. Having a thread about hip hop that doesn't include discussion about the merits of certain rappers would be near impossible and pointless anyways. If we all have to hold hands and hug everytime somebody shares, we should just wrap it up and go post in some girl age thread. Quite frankly, we have handled our disagreements with more maturity and less hostility than 99% of other gaf threads.

Yo man, that bullshit rap fuckin sucks! GTFO

Tokubetsu

Man, what the fuck is up with all these albums dropping that I want so soon? All the records I'm buying in Nov (some of which I already got on pre-order):
Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: Legend of Mr. Rager
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
Gangrene - Gutter Water

Most of them dropping on the same god damn day. It's like Novemeber doesn't have any other Tuesdays save the 9th and the 23rd and instead of dropping on the 9th, they're all gonna drop on the 23rd. Got the Sawblade EP coming too.

EDIT: More fire for the bullshit rapper hate? Pitchfork gave Flockaveli an 8:
Which leads to the line that explains the entire record: "When my little brother died, I said, 'Fuck school.'" This one lyric summarizes the attitude of a record utterly unconcerned with authority and anyone else who gets in the way. It points to the unspoken undercurrent in gangsta rap that's usually mischaracterized as undirected underclass rage: Waka's aggression is the survivalist reaction of the powerless, directed toward the threats of the immediate environment. He knows his strengths and he plays to them, exactingly.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14771-flockaveli/

Also, quote from last page since everyone ignored it =/:

Tokubetsu said:
New Gangrene track (Alchemist + Oh No):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-nb74NGXo&hd=1

They have a special four track EP coming on the 2nd thats gonna be vinyl only and then the album Drops on Nov. 22nd:
http://deconrecords.com/store/music/the-alchemist-and-oh-no-sawblade-ep/
(Already pre-ordered mine).

HiResDes

Slizz said:
Yea seriously?
WTF? Why are you replying to yourself? :lol...I didn't even know about it, but it sounds like it would be super tight. I love me some Chip, I really want to hear him weed battle Curren$y more.

Gucci and Flock get 8s, The Roots get 7.5s. I like Pitchfork sometimes but this is pathetic :lol

they're elitist on everything except hip hop, which must be a joke to them.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Gucci and Flock get 8s, The Roots get 7.5s. I like Pitchfork sometimes but this is pathetic :lol

The thing with their rap reviews (and im not trying to start more shit) and something I've noticed with a lot of modern rap reviews is the frown upon any sort of traditionalism and commercial viability. Flockaveli is a cohesive album and is completely uncompromising in terms of commercial appeal. Helps that Waka, like Gucci Mane, has a strong identity of his own.

exarkun

Any new Pusha T or clipse mixtape shit? I need some new verses, anything. I just went back through some older Good Friday stuff and I realized they have been missing from my life since til the casket.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:

I don't understand, why is Pitchfork so highly regarded beyond being another music news website? What kind of reputation do they have?

hubes

Tokubetsu said:
Man, what the fuck is up with all these albums dropping that I want so soon? All the records I'm buying in Nov (some of which I already got on pre-order):
Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: Legend of Mr. Rager
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
Gangrene - Gutter Water

Most of them dropping on the same god damn day. It's like Novemeber doesn't have any other Tuesdays save the 9th and the 23rd and instead of dropping on the 9th, they're all gonna drop on the 23rd. Got the Sawblade EP coming too.
you forgot Lloyd Banks - Hunger for More 2 coming out on the 22nd

Slizz

HiResDes said:
WTF? Why are you replying to yourself? :lol...I didn't even know about it, but it sounds like it would be super tight. I love me some Chip, I really want to hear him weed battle Curren$y more.
Lol my post went ignored.

frommetoyou.jpg

That came out September. I want Gift Raps

KAL2006

Banned
A onetime remix project evolves into potentially the third Canibus album of 2010, featuring Immortal Technique, Inspectah Deck and 3/4 the HRSMN.

Already in 2010, veteran New York emcee Canibus has released two albums in February's Melatonin Magik and this month's C of Tranquility. According to Rap blog UGWHH, he's far from over too.

The onetime Refugee Camp All-Stars member is said to be at work on Lyrical Law, his latest project on an increasingly expansive discography. The project reportedly began as a remix project for Melantonin Magik, but has evolved into a life of its own. The release has an album sampler posted on YouTube, but no official release date.

If legitimate to the artist, Lyrical Law is slated to feature Wu-Tang Clan's Inspectah Deck, K-Solo, Immortal Technique, Copywrite, Planet Asia, Heltah Skeltah's Rockness Monstah, Thirstin Howl III and 4 HRSMN brethren Killah Priest and Ras Kass

I did not know this dude is still rapping

kamspy

I got a DL link for a Big KRIT mixtape here a while back. Finally threw it on a CD one morning before work.

Goddam wow. This guy fucking has the knack. Perfect combination of skill and rapping about real shit. Not too T.I. and not too backpacky. Just the perfect mixture. Really enjoy it. Dunno if he was out last year, but he's easily the best new act I've discovered in 2010.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
I got a DL link for a Big KRIT mixtape here a while back. Finally threw it on a CD one morning before work.

Goddam wow. This guy fucking has the knack. Perfect combination of skill and rapping about real shit. Not too T.I. and not too backpacky. Just the perfect mixture. Really enjoy it. Dunno if he was out last year, but he's easily the best new act I've discovered in 2010.
What you just now listened to Wuz Here? Have you checked out L.E.$'s mixtapes (The Beautiful Struggle and Settle 4 L.E.$.)? What about Smoke DZA?

HiResDes

DominoKid said:
old wiz was boring. new wiz (Say Yeah to present) is the shit.
Naw new Wiz is post Curren$y collabo (How Fly) to present....He definitely swagger jacked Spitta quite a bit. Burn After Rolling was pretty fantastic though.

kamspy

HiResDes said:
What you just now listened to Wuz Here? Have you checked out L.E.$'s mixtapes (The Beautiful Struggle and Settle 4 L.E.$.)? What about Smoke DZA?

I just DL'd Beautiful Struggle. I clicked some Smoke DZA joints on Nah Right. Didn't really grab me but I'll look into him some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom