• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Tokubetsu said:
Man, what the fuck is up with all these albums dropping that I want so soon? All the records I'm buying in Nov (some of which I already got on pre-order):
Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: Legend of Mr. Rager
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
Gangrene - Gutter Water

Most of them dropping on the same god damn day. It's like Novemeber doesn't have any other Tuesdays save the 9th and the 23rd and instead of dropping on the 9th, they're all gonna drop on the 23rd. Got the Sawblade EP coming too.

EDIT: More fire for the bullshit rapper hate? Pitchfork gave Flockaveli an 8:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14771-flockaveli/

Also, quote from last page since everyone ignored it =/:

in the album biz, you either get pushed back (which will happen for a few of those due to 0 buzz) or sent out to die.

I'm probably late to the party, but OddFuture is the new shit. I'm just digging into their work, and its all top notch. This shit is amazing.

kamspy

jobber said:
in the album biz, you either get pushed back (which will happen for a few of those due to 0 buzz) or sent out to die.

Cudi has all the buzz he's going to get and
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik 0-60
Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
Gangrene - Gutter Water

won't even approach going gold. They'll be lucky to go wood in the hood. ;) Might as well have them on the same shelf as Kanye on day 1.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I sort of like Yelawolf's corny self, and I didn't even know his debut record was about to drop.

He's not going to do very well, I think.

HiResDes

WanderingWind said:
I sort of like Yelawolf's corny self, and I didn't even know his debut record was about to drop.

He's not going to do very well, I think.
Box Chevy is one of the greatest songs to play in the car ever made.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
HiResDes said:
I could see Curren$y going gold.

Curren$y's best shit was his mixtapes rapping over old beats. That's how I first discovered him after his track over Breakadawn. His current shit is like wtf. Michael Knight duh duhduhhdudhuhduhdhduhdh

Wisemenapproaching.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Dp45HTWgY

n.y.oil.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKUyMNgj_s

sonrealthestroll2009.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL4gTT-F1g

Windchill+-+I+Have+Arrived+.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZuXe9QQQw

Bumping this joints right now.

see5harp

WanderingWind said:
I'm not really up to speed with these things, but does the dude have any buzz at all?

Yela has a shitload of buzz coming off his BET performance as well as a Fader cover story. Maybe not mainstream buzz, but definitely buzz in the "still buys music" community.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ferny73 said:
Just saw Curren$y play here in Orlando. He played a hot show for sure. Has anyone else seen him live?

Saw him last week here with Big KRIT and Smoke DZA. Really good show. I think if they all got money behind them from a label, they could be major. But it actually think they are loving the game right now.

MjFrancis

siddx said:
All I ask is if you are going to rap about bullshit, at least do it well.
Nelly, Wiz Khalifa, Game, E40...they all rap about bullshit. But they do it well. Content wise it's not much different from Gucci Mane. Money, bitches, drugs, guns, parties, repeated over and over and over. But they do it in an interesting or at the very least, aurally pleasing method. For instance E40 has a unique and interesting flow.
E-40 is great, but I was just thinking about this - great in a club or social setting, but that's about it. There's nothing high-brow about it, 40 Water flows real smooth about hustling and bitches and - that's it. One friend called it gangster rap without the gangster part, which doesn't quite fit, but I don't like calling it bullshit music, either. Hyphy will have to do, but since I'm not from the Bay, no one knows what the hell I'm talking about! Just hip-hop I suppose.

Still, 2010's Revenue Retrievin' was pretty good. Both shifts.

ShinobiFist said:
I'll have to watch the video later, but I sampled the album on Amazon and I might just be a convert to this. Not to mention it's only $6.49 for a digital download of the whole album! That's impulse buy territory right there.

dskillzhtown said:
Saw him last week here with Big KRIT and Smoke DZA. Really good show. I think if they all got money behind them from a label, they could be major. But it actually think they are loving the game right now.

Def Jam seems to be confident in Big KRIT, I think he'll get some support. Currency....he seems pretty chill doing his own thing and making the money he's making. Pilot Talk hasn't sold well, but considering it's an independent album 70k isn't bad right?

Meanwhile, new Blu interview. His Warner album is out early next year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2010/10/29/blu-speaks-on-new-album/#more-119957

No news on Blu and Exile, so I guess it's a 2011 release as well.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Def Jam seems to be confident in Big KRIT, I think he'll get some support. Currency....he seems pretty chill doing his own thing and making the money he's making. Pilot Talk hasn't sold well, but considering it's an independent album 70k isn't bad right?

Meanwhile, new Blu interview. His Warner album is out early next year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2010/10/29/blu-speaks-on-new-album/#more-119957

No news on Blu and Exile, so I guess it's a 2011 release as well.

Where'd you get 70k from? But yea, that's not bad. Curren$y is fine doing what he's doing right now. I can see Wiz doing really well in the future (Especially in a post prop 19 California :lol ) and he was smart about building a loyal base before going completely major.

Ephemeris

Ashhong said:
That explains why J had a line about how Hammer lost all his money on a GOOD Friday track :lol
And Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused
I lost thirty mil, so I spent another thirty
'Cause unlike Hammer, thirty million can't hurt me.

Truth hurts, Hammer?

Tokubetsu said:
Where'd you get 70k from? But yea, that's not bad. Curren$y is fine doing what he's doing right now. I can see Wiz doing really well in the future (Especially in a post prop 19 California :lol ) and he was smart about building a loyal base before going completely major.

saw someone throw that number out on SOHH, assumed it was digital+physical because the physical copies didn't do well.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
saw someone throw that number out on SOHH, assumed it was digital+physical because the physical copies didn't do well.

Ah then yea that makes sense. I wish there was a reliable way to track digital sales figures.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
A little birdie let me listen to Man on the moon 2. It's dope as fuck.

Kicko

I'm surprised GAF hasn't given this guy any love.

homeboy-sandman-the-good-sun-450x450.jpg

Perhaps one of the most slept-on, under-rated cats in hip-hop. Anyone looking for something new, fresh, unique -- Sans the vulgarity and constant use of the 'N' word, give this shit a spin. Certified dopeness.

RPS37

Did anyone else see the MTV Made episode with Homeboy Sandman? I did. I tried to look up the kid on it afterward. Couldn't find anything.

Just wanted to say that:

bob-vs-bobby-ray.jpg

is a great mixtape. It's a shame his debut album was a bit ... too poppy.

Edit: WanderingWind is right. Add-2 is the shit. I've been bumping his mixtape for far much longer than I thought I would. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom