• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2flzswh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7oasO4vA80

Production is kinda one dimensional (lots of trying to sound like Dilla soul loops) but this shit is nice.

edit: I knew I had heard that beat before but couldn't remember where. Looks like it's a Madlib beat

Nabs

i'll have to check it out

anyone listen to the LEP tape that was supposed to drop today? the two beats i heard sounded good

edit: aw fuck, dj drama.

Acid08

Banned
So I've been listening to J Dilla's "Donuts" a lot recently. Gawdamn that is some good shit. I was taken aback at first at how many of those beats I've heard used in songs before.

Tokubetsu

Doesn't Lil Wayne get out of jail this week?

Sebulon3k said:
Dirty Money I'm Coming Home

Fucken Diddy ruined it :lol

Do artists get paid for reference tracks? Hopefully J.Cole saw some cash for this.

Acid08 said:
So I've been listening to J Dilla's "Donuts" a lot recently. Gawdamn that is some good shit. I was taken aback at first at how many of those beats I've heard used in songs before.

Great album. A lot of the beats are/were used for the Adult Swim bumper cards too so you might have heard some of them there.

I can listen to "Time: Donut of The Heart" on repeat for hours. I know because I've done this...multiple times.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
hubes said:
damn MC Hammer is BACK there's no way jay will ever be able to recover from this diss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFtQML2O5B0

I mean....why? MC Hammer/Hammer/KING HAMMER? From dancer, to pop rapper, to wannabe thug rapper, to pastor back to wannabe thug rapper at damn near 50 years old.

Okay, so you believe in stupid shit like selling your soul. So, you make a diss record where you threaten to knock him out and pretend that your ass is a CEO of anything that matters.

Why? Shit is beyond stupid. :lol :lol

Threi

notag
I appreciate Jay trying to make MC Hammer relevant again (because that's all this is really) but still :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hootie

K.Jack said:
And she's doing that Drake/Wayne shit that I hate.

Hang it up... flat screen. I got bars.... sentencing. You at a stand still... mannequin.

I'm beginning to notice and really hate this shit. Needs to stop.

effzee

K.Jack said:
The monotonous strings just get annoying a few minutes into the song. The short section of beat that comes in at :58 doesn't even make sense.

Beat is total shit.

Nicki's verses are so shit! :lol

And she's doing that Drake/Wayne shit that I hate.

Hang it up... flat screen. I got bars.... sentencing. You at a stand still... mannequin.

Oh, and her yelling in the fake English accent at the end. UGH.

Have I ever heard Eminem waste decent bars on a worst song?

Em needs to stop trying to be Slim Shady. That is not Slim Shady. That is some lame attempt that manifested when he made Relapse/forgot what he used to sound like.

That said I liked the rhyming, not the content. The flow was amazing. I liked the beat but the song is weird. It sounds unfinished. There is no polish to it. I was expecting more. I didn't want some alter ego concept song. Oh well.

reKon

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but when is he putting out an actual studio album?

It got pushed back, but most likely Dec 2010 - Jan 2011. The album is pretty much done. It all depends on Roc Nation and their strategy.

he also said that in an interview, he wouldn't be surprised if some people like the mixtape better than the album. I'm guess he's going to be giving away some crazy tracks. Considering the Warm Up was better than most albums and such a gem that I still can listen to today, I don't really mind another mixtape from Cole

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
reKon said:
It got pushed back, but most likely Dec 2010 - Jan 2011. The album is pretty much done. It all depends on Roc Nation and their strategy.

he also said that in an interview, he wouldn't be surprised if some people like the mixtape better than the album. I'm guess he's going to be giving away some crazy tracks. Considering the Warm Up was better than most albums and such a gem that I still can listen to today, I don't really mind another mixtape from Cole

Damn. It'd be nice to see him actually get paid, though. We all like mixtapes, but rappers can't keep making great free music forever. Eventually, they got to pay the bills.

reKon

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Damn. It'd be nice to see him actually get paid, though. We all like mixtapes, but rappers can't keep making great free music forever. Eventually, they got to pay the bills.

yeah, pay the bills through touring (which he's been doing for the past few weeks)

PBY

Banned
Im the only one from my group of friends who likes the new cudi album- I still think REVOFEV is maybe his best track ever, too bad it leaked so early

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
reKon said:
yeah, pay the bills through touring (which he's been doing for the past few weeks)

Indeed, i'll be seeing him perform next week with Ludacris.

A few days late but, Roman's Revenge.

The beat was just shit, the drums were horrible. I could hardly make out the actual verses so I had to concentrate extra hard and what I heard sounded especially bad because I was focusing so much. Nicki's bars are trash, she's trying to be a punchline rapper but her bars are stank. Atrocious similes, she must have been thinking "hmmm I can't actually think of a way to structure this line so it sounds witty. Fuck it I'll just throw the comparison phrase in there. No one will notice." I'm perplexed at her success. Hasn't even dropped an album and she's on tracks with Jay-Z and Eminem. I don't know who to be more disappointed with.

DaMan121

toasty_T said:
A few days late but, Roman's Revenge.

The beat was just shit, the drums were horrible. I could hardly make out the actual verses so I had to concentrate extra hard and what I heard sounded especially bad because I was focusing so much. Nicki's bars are trash, she's trying to be a punchline rapper but her bars are stank. Atrocious similes, she must have been thinking "hmmm I can't actually think of a way to structure this line so it sounds witty. Fuck it I'll just throw the comparison phrase in there. No one will notice." I'm perplexed at her success. Hasn't even dropped an album and she's on tracks with Jay-Z and Eminem. I don't know who to be more disappointed with.

Her second verse is a lot better, and I liked her verse on Monster. Look, it's not the first time a new artist has been pushed into the spotlight without really earning it. Beat was different enough to rank as interesting for me.

taking cudi off my rotation for awhile, just not feeling it

still giving constant play to death is silent, feeling every track. Only complaint is "I wish I was dead". Beat is great, but the 2nd verse is the worst on the album by far

GodfatherX said:
still giving constant play to death is silent, feeling every track. Only complaint is "I wish I was dead". Beat is great, but the 2nd verse is the worst on the album by far

Kno was being intentionally experimental with his flow. IWIWD was definitely the worst but I can see what he was going for.

His best verse was Rhythm of the Rain imo.

As for Nicki Minaj, I don't have a problem with her specifically. She could get better with time given some incentive but why would she's getting the backing she's got? I could go on an industry tirade but it's depressing how many talented dudes are making good hip-hop music without any real recognition let alone being on tracks with fucking Jay-z.

K.Jack said:
Recent song with Lil B. Yeah it's official.

I like him.

He Dropped a Whole Mixtape/Album with Tony Yayo :lol

He's Loosely affiliated with G-Unit, But 50 doesn't claim him yet, since there is still alot of blacklash (hate) for 50. thats why he's distancing himself from his artist like Lloyd Banks. (Notice how he hasn't been on any of his singles?)

my favorite song from that mixtape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=breBgUoVXu0&annotation_id=annotation_285108

Detroit rapper Danny Brown on 'Hawaiian Snow,' potentially signing to G-Unit, and what it means to be a mutant
September 20, 2010 | 9:12 am

Danny Brown can't clearly articulate how or why he started calling himself "The Hybrid." He was clouded at the moment of its creation, smoking on "that ninja turtle," and writing punch lines like Conan O'Brien if he'd come up selling crack.

The nickname just stuck -- a necessary alias to offset his no-nonsense handle. It also assumes a weird logic, even though his Detroit hometown is not known as a hotbed of automotive environmentalism.

Instead, the "hybrid" of his moniker is the biological definition of the word. Brown raps like he's crossbred and full of cold blood. He's a reconciliation of ostensibly antithetical schools. His voice is all nasal-drip and comic exaggeration, the rap equivalent of a Looney Tunes chase, a lunge at impressive velocities with bulging eyes, flying feet, and clouds of choking dirt. Raised on West Coast gangsta rap like Spice 1, E-40 and South Central Cartel, he developed a love for the Wu-Tang Clan and East Coast hardcore in junior high and high school -- influences found in his florescent slang, street tales, and tetanus-clawed Marvel attack.

During the last decade, his musical philosophy was heavily informed by the Def Jux label, particularly Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox and Dizzee Rascal. In particular, Brown may be the closest American analog to the “boy in da corner” Rascal in the way he adroitly skates between high-brow, low-brow and occasionally searing introspection.

Yet Brown's style is inevitably most influenced by the Motown rap of recent vintage. At times, he boasts a rigorously patterned and hyper-lyrical flow reminiscent of Elzhi and his frequent collaborator Black Milk. At others, it's the unhinged and profane comedy of a "Slim Shady EP"-era Eminem (and his onetime Outsidaz crew). Accordingly, he's accumulated co-sign from various places, including those Lake Michigan-adjacent; the Lincoln Heights weekly party the Low End Theory (Samiyam, Gaslamp Killer, and Gonjasufi regularly tout him as a favorite); and Aesop Rock and his producer, Blockhead, the latter of whom have both raved about Brown's debut, "The Hybrid."

Unsurprisingly, his ascent to blog buzz has occurred without the help of a label. More impressive is his ability to do so without even a manager or publicist. That may change thanks to his partnership with G-Unit’s Tony Yayo. Of late, Brown has been in talks to sign to 50 Cent's imprint, and this week he and Yayo released, "Hawaiian Snow," Brown’s first commercially available release.

Because published interviews with Brown have been rare, Pop & Hiss spoke to Brown about his partnership with Yayo, his recording process and what it means to be a mutant.

How did you link up with Tony Yayo in the first place?

When I was recording [mixtapes] "Detroit State of Mind," Volumes 1-3, I was working with a producer who worked for G-Unit and was Yayo’s engineer. When Yayo got a movie role in "S.W.A.T. 2," he was shooting it in Detroit, so he hit me up and said, 'Come link up, chill and smoke.' So I went down there, and he was like, 'My homeboy told me about you.' I showed him the "Re-Up" video, went on my iTunes and played him a couple joints, and he said, 'You need to come up to New York with me.' So he took me on tour with 50 Cent all through July, and we built from there.

Are you going to sign with G-Unit?

I don’t know. Hopefully. We talk a lot about what we want to do with G-Unit, and how 50 is trying to build it by signing new artists and changing the whole brand. At the end of the day, the music [and stuff] that I rap about it isn't far from what G-Unit always does, nor is it very far from Eminem in terms of subject matter and wordplay. It's just a different approach to the same thing.

What's it been like working with 50, and what have you learned?

He's the smartest person I've ever met. I pretty much just watch and listen to whatever he says. You can learn a lot by not talking and just asking questions. I study the music business -- it's a fickle place and it's hard to stay relevant. You have to pay attention to what's going on in the streets and be able to adapt with the times and reinvent yourself. Aesop Rock once said something that's always stuck in my head: When an author writes a book, he doesn't write the same book twice. So I ask myself, what does Danny Brown need to do next? "Detroit State of Mind" introduced me and my city. "The Hybrid" was trying to show my range. Next time, I'm going to write a different book.

One of the more interesting things about your music and, by extension, your tastes is that you're just as big of a fan of Soulja Boy and Lil B as you are of Aesop Rock and Def Jux. That's rare for a lot of rappers that came up in the underground.

I'm all about making entertaining music. There's a lot of whack rappers who are really entertaining, and there's a lot of super-dope lyrical dudes that bore me. At the end of the day, it's a matter of what you want to listen to and when. I just want to be entertained.

What's next for you?

I'm going to put out some more videos, then I think I'm going to drop a tape rapping over all original beats next month.

Over the last two months, you really stepped it up in terms of releasing videos. Unsurprisingly, it led to you receiving a lot more attention. What led to that decision?

That was pretty much Yayo’s idea. There's a lot of faceless rappers, and he made me realize that the videos don't have to be good. It was just a way of people getting to see me rap. As I progress, you'll definitely see the quality of the videos improve.

You call yourself a mutant. Care to elaborate?

I'm the illest mutant ever, but I'm so humble at the same time. I know that I'm good at what I do, but I give props to everyone. I don't have the entitled rapper complex. I'm on the wave of some new stuff. People don't know how to take it. You're going to have to stay tuned and watch; there's going to be a lot of change.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...ing-to-g-unit-and-what-it-means-to-be-a-.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom