• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

GodfatherX said:
taking cudi off my rotation for awhile, just not feeling it

still giving constant play to death is silent, feeling every track. Only complaint is "I wish I was dead". Beat is great, but the 2nd verse is the worst on the album by far

Cudi's album I've found to be a mixed bag. I think his first LP was definitely much stronger. Although I really, really like GHOST! off MOTM2.

PBY

Banned

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pinko Marx said:
Hip-Hop GAF! Songs that you know are completely shitty but you love anyway?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsHP94bvXs
Not a shitty song!

But yeah:
Some Jeezy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsmqrk7Wgsk&ob=av3e

Some Weezy (CDQ version is hot with the gun click)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE_2Qmdnurc

^ Also contains retarded youtube comment of the day:
jazyer28
3 months ago
I like it when rappers add a little rock to their songs. It shows that they listen to other types of music.

Some Em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaHCCr0hS3o

Some KC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qrU3z9Clcs

And everything Khaled has put out on Victory as a single.

effzee

I know I am really late but that new Lupe song is FIRE!

I saw him this past weekend at Georgetown and heard it for the first time. I love the sample and his flow/lyrics are on point as always.

BTW show was fuck awesome.

exarkun

This new Cudi CD is garbage. Holy shit, Im all for drugs until your songs sound lazy as fuck and like SHIT. His first CD was pretty good, but this is embarrassing. I know you like weed Cud, but so does Curren$y and he does it way better than you.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
exarkun said:
This new Cudi CD is garbage. Holy shit, Im all for drugs until your songs sound lazy as fuck and like SHIT. His first CD was pretty good, but this is embarrassing. I know you like weed Cud, but so does Curren$y and he does it way better than you.
u mad bro?

exarkun

shadowcomplex said:
u mad bro?

A little. I like Cudi alot but that MTV interview he gave that someone posted in the other thread about Kanye and stuff really got it through to me that he was just lazy. "Being so lazy worked in my favor since I realized I could write less and say more." Who says that? As someone who likes writing rhymes, I'm never happy with my shit and if he's writing stuff in one take or whatever then good for him but it just came across as sloppy on the disc. I dunno, some of the later stuff makes for better mood setting but thats after like 5 songs of him mumbling.

Just a bad sophomore outing.

PBY

Banned
exarkun said:
A little. I like Cudi alot but that MTV interview he gave that someone posted in the other thread about Kanye and stuff really got it through to me that he was just lazy. "Being so lazy worked in my favor since I realized I could write less and say more." Who says that? As someone who likes writing rhymes, I'm never happy with my shit and if he's writing stuff in one take or whatever then good for him but it just came across as sloppy on the disc. I dunno, some of the later stuff makes for better mood setting but thats after like 5 songs of him mumbling.

I actually like the album, but I agree with you- he doesn't really spit bars on the album, its alot of hooks and shit. I wish he had another verse on marijuana and revofev

apana

Oh my god that MC Hammer diss at Jay-Z.:lol The fat Jay-Z and the boxing. :lol :lol :lol
Also the devil chasing him...:lol .

see5harp

Wow this cudi album is lazy as fuck. Takes one of my favorite St. vincent songs and mumbles nonsense over it. Production is top notch but geez this is poor. Its sad because I really respect that he is genuinely trying to do something different and obviously is trying to do something adventurous. It's just all half cooked. Like he came up with cool melody or hook and tried to form an entire album of rough drafts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
exarkun said:

yea to be brutally honest cudi has disappointed me on several levels, i still think his mix-tape is better than both albums. /sad

exarkun said:

Don't you HATE that shit? God damn it...

And, I get what you're saying. He does come across as lazy sometimes. I wish he'd go for a more lyrical approach, but as much as I love Cudi, he needs to get his head out of his ass.

Next week is going to be bananas. New J. Cole mixtape and new Cudi album oh shittt...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
Don't you HATE that shit? God damn it...

And, I get what you're saying. He does come across as lazy sometimes. I wish he'd go for a more lyrical approach, but as much as I love Cudi, he needs to get his head out of his ass.

Next week is going to be bananas. New J. Cole mixtape and new Cudi album oh shittt...

I want to hear Cole spit over some other classic beats. The flow on his Knock On Wood freestyle is GODLIKE.

I am so excited for this mixtape, seriously.

Double D

shadowcomplex said:
yea to be brutally honest cudi has disappointed me on several levels, i still think his mix-tape is better than both albums. /sad

Which one? I haven't listened to Cudderisback

Bowser

Vik_Vaughn said:

Cudderisback is a song, not a mixtape. I'm pretty sure he's talking about A KiD Named CuDi (and I agree, definitely his best work, with MOTM not TOO far behind).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
K.Jack said:
Wow I hate Eminem now. His style is so many levels below where he was a decade ago.
Yeah, there's quite a different between MMLP and Recovery. His flow used to be a lot better. In Recovery he raps almost the same way in every song.

Alright Hip-Hop GAF. I've never done this before, but I've just tried my hand at putting together a list of what i consider to be the essential Hip-Hop albums according to me. This list should be COMPLETELY representative of my taste in Hip-Hop. As in, if you listen to all of these, you should get a fairly get grip on what my taste in Hip-Hop and what I feel is the best in it. I've never actually put a list together, but I figured I'd try it. The hard part is trying to condense it down into 25-10 albums, so I'm gunna try 20. So here goes, in no particular order.

Artist Name - Album Name

1) Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
2) Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner
3) MF DOOM - Doomsday
4) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu
5) Mobb Deep - The Infamous
6) Kanye West - The College Dropout
7) Slum Village - Fan-tas-tic Vol. 2
8) Little Brother - The Listening
9) Jay-Z - The Black Album
10) Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (kinda cheating here, but give me a break)
11) Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
12) Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
13) Somobe - The Great Communication
14) Raekwon (and Ghostface) - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
15) Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
16) Tyler the Creator - Bastard
17) Kev Brown - I Do What I Do
18) Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
19) Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagynecologist
20) Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

So yeah, I feel pretty good about this list. It covers pretty much the entire range. I feel like its missing a few, but most should get the point.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Pinko Marx said:
Alright Hip-Hop GAF. I've never done this before, but I've just tried my hand at putting together a list of what i consider to be the essential Hip-Hop albums according to me. This list should be COMPLETELY representative of my taste in Hip-Hop. As in, if you listen to all of these, you should get a fairly get grip on what my taste in Hip-Hop and what I feel is the best in it. I've never actually put a list together, but I figured I'd try it. The hard part is trying to condense it down into 25-10 albums, so I'm gunna try 20. So here goes, in no particular order.

Artist Name - Album Name

So yeah, I feel pretty good about this list. It covers pretty much the entire range. I feel like its missing a few, but most should get the point.

nice list:D

Vik_Vaughn said:
sorry about that:lol yes it's " a kid named cudi"

MMaRsu

Dayummmmmmm new j.Cole mixtape next week? FUCKING YES.

There is NO song from him I dislike so far. I'm serious.. and I know loads of rappers who at least have a few bad songs from 1 or 2 albums. Now he has only brought out mixtapes so far and both of them are sick as hell.

And I never heard that Knock on Wood freestyle, damn sick.

Must see him live sometime.. whenever he comes to The Netherlands

Recon

Banned
Pinko Marx said:

Artist Name - Album Name

3) MF DOOM - Doomsday
10) Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (kinda cheating here, but give me a break)

I think that list is fantastic, save for the outkast album, i would of chosen an earlier album, but thats just me.

HiResDes

1. Nas - Illmatic
2. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
3. Ghostface Killah - Ironman
4. Cannibal Ox - Cold Veins
5. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
6. Blu - Below The Heavens
7. Common - Resurrection
8. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
9. Outkast - Atliens
10. De La Soul - Stakes Is High
11. A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation
12. Abstract Rude - P.A.I.N.T.
13. Black Star - Black Star
14. CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
15. The Illz - The Pursuit LP
16. Add-2 - Tale of Two's City Vol. 4 (3 is so fucking close)
17. Joe Budden - Mood Muzik 4
18. Quest - How Thoughtful
19. Kool G Rap - 4,5,6
20. Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing
21. Shabazz Palaces - Of Light
22. Young Jeezy - The Recession
23. UGK - Super Tight
24. Kanye West - Late Registration
25. Melo-X - Mustafa The Godking: Rise of the Merch

spindashing said:
Great list, but I am shocked and appalled at the lack of Nas.

Yeah I was thinking of a Nas album, but there are only like 2 Nas albums (Illmatic and Hip-Hop is Dead) I like the ENTIRE WAY THROUGH. I have a bunch songs that i like from his scattered throughout his disco. Jay-Z knows how to put a better album together, IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Keep posting these lists people, I need some new shit to check out. Just recently got a hold of Food & Liquor cause spindashing put me on blast for that, so I'm gonna start with that :lol

PBY

Banned
Pinko Marx said:

Artist Name - Album Name

3) MF DOOM - Doomsday

Never listened to the bolded... gotta check them out, great list btw

damn, just saw that illmatics not on there; can't agree with that

Bowser

enzo_gt said:
Keep posting these lists people, I need some new shit to check out. Just recently got a hold of Food & Liquor cause spindashing put me on blast for that, so I'm gonna start with that :lol

You never listened to F&L?

:|

Pinko Marx said:
Yeah I was thinking of a Nas album, but there are only like 2 Nas albums (Illmatic and Hip-Hop is Dead) I like the ENTIRE WAY THROUGH. I have a bunch songs that i like from his scattered throughout his disco. Jay-Z knows how to put a better album together, IMO.

Ironically, those are the two albums I can stomach fully from Nas too. I find it amazing that I could still listen to Illmatic for years and years and it won't get old...

And yes, Enzo -- please get on that Food and Liquor. :lol

Another album that I would put on both of your lists, because it's one of my favorites:

binary_star.jpg

Shit is so ... chill. Lyrical sex. Too bad they didn't do more...

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnD_CXnXEB8

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bowser said:
You never listened to F&L?

:|
I've listened to much of it, but never in its entirety. Pretty much YouTubed half of the songs back in the day. Hell, if I mentioned any of the other classics I haven't listened to, GAF would rip me apart :lol

And yeah Hip Hop is Dead is a pretty great record. Kept that in rotation for a while.

HiResDes said:
1. Nas - Illmatic
2. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
3. Ghostface Killah - Ironman
4. Cannibal Ox - Cold Veins
5. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
6. Blu - Below The Heavens
7. Common - Resurrection
8. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
9. Outkast - Atliens
10. De La Soul - Stakes Is High
11. A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation
12. Abstract Rude - P.A.I.N.T.
13. Black Star - Black Star
14. CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
15. The Illz - The Pursuit LP
16. Add-2 - Tale of Two's City Vol. 4 (3 is so fucking close)
17. Joe Budden - Mood Muzik 4
18. Quest - How Thoughtful
19. Kool G Rap - 4,5,6
20. Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing
21. Shabazz Palaces - Of Light
22. Young Jeezy - The Recession
23. UGK - Super Tight
24. Kanye West - Late Registration
25. Melo-X - Mustafa The Godking: Rise of the Merch
i see wut u did thar.

HiResDes

For some reason I've always liked Hell On Earth slightly more than The Infamous...Oh and I wasn't fucking around about Late Registration, as of now it's my favorite Kanye album though this upcoming one looks to be rather brilliant.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My list, in no particular order...man I am missing a ton. Oh well.

Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
Big Punisher - Capital Punishment
2pac - Me Against the World
2pac - All Eyez On Me
EPMD - Strictly Business
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Wyclef Jean -The Carnival
AZ - Doe or Die
De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Common Sense - Resurrection
Ice T - Power
The Roots- Do You Want More?!!!??!
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
OutKast - ATLiens
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Cannibal Ox – The Cold Vein
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell
Gang Starr – Moment of Truth
Killah Priest – Heavy Mental (1998)
Deltron 3030
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
UGK - Ridin' Dirty
Dr Octagon (kool keith) - Dr Octagonecologyst
Reflection Eternal - Train of Thought
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien : Both sides of the brain
Nas - Illmatic
Slum Village - Fantastic vol..2
Brand Nubian - One For All
Redman - Whut? Thee Album
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Dr. Dre - 2001
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Busta Rhymes- When Disaster Strikes
Black Moon- Enta Da Stage
Scarface - Untouchable
Scarface - The Diary
Xzibit - 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
Geto Boys - Resurrection

Prez

Why isn't Jurassic 5's Quality Control in any of these lists? (seriously, I need to know why) It's my number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom