• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hootie

peterb0y said:
what did you think about MOTM2?

Definitely not as upbeat or catchy as MOTM, but there are some really good songs. In particular I like:

Scott Mescudi vs. The World
Marijuana
Mojo So Dope
Ashin' Kusher
Wild'n Cuz I'm Young
Mr. Rager
The End

Mojo and Ashin' are tied for my favorite

I'm not really feeling the rest too much, but those 7 are all I really need to be pleased. When it comes down to it though, I think MOTM is better. But add in "Do You Get It" and "I Do My Thing" which came out very recently (thought they'd be on MOTM2), he's been shooting up my ranks quickly. And actually, I didnt get a hold of his mixtapes until about a week ago, so I'm going through and listening to those right now. So so so good.

Edit: Just like to point out that this post is assuming I am sober. Any Cudi is awesome to me when I'm blazed.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
peterb0y said:
what did you think about MOTM2?

Different feel from the first. Not as a good but still enjoyable. It's more low key, lacks the lighthearted and fun feel of the first which is a shame. Production isn't nearly as good but it's still interesting.

Scott Mescudi vs. the world is good despite the lame name
Revofev is great but I've heard it endlessly already
Dont play this song is good outside of Mary J Blige's bullshit singing
We aite is a throw away track that makes no sense
Marijuana is generic but decent
Mojo So Dope, see revofev
Ashin' Kutcher is one of my favorite tracks. Just a great simple beat thats dope as fuck.
Erase Me, I've always liked the track outside of the horrible HORRIBLE hook.
Wild cuz im young is boring but also oddly catchy.
The Mood might be my favorite track, I just love the hell out of the beat.
Maniac I had heard before but I still listen to it constantly. Great song.
Mr.Rager, see revofev
These worries, first shitty song, another horrible Mary guest appearance.
The End, love this beat. Gives me old school Organized Noise vibes. GLC and Chip are kind of boring but not enough to ruin this song.
All Along, another meh track. Whiny as fuck.
Ghost, another winner. Great beat, not a fan of Cudi's warbling on this track but the beat makes up for it.
Trapped in my mind, has a MOTM1 vibe, I like it.

Bolded are the best tracks.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
No one liked Black Moon - Enta Da Stage? That is definitely in my top 10.

Anyone ever heard of Ghosty? I dl'd his mixtape/album and at first listen it sounds like something from the mid-90s, in a good way.

Ghosty_Ups_Is_Hiring-front-large.jpg

DL Link

siddx

Oh god, as if Love The Way You Lie wasn't horrible enough, now there is a sequel :/

Bowser

spindashing said:
there you go, Bowser and everyone else. Download or HiResDes will kill your loved ones.

So I just put this mixtape in my iTunes and before I even listen, let me just say: jesus fuck this was the worst fucking tagged mixtape I've ever dealt with in my life. I'm extremely OCD about my iTunes/music collection and I spent 20 minutes properly tagging everything :/

Some of my top albums, no order outside of the first three

Nas - Illmatic
GZA - Liquid Swords
Common - Resurrection
Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Biggie - Ready to Die
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx
Method Man - Tical
KMD - Black Bastards
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Madvillain - Madvillain
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
KRS - Return of the Boom Bap
The Roots - Game Theory
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
J Dilla - Donuts
Blu and Exile - Beneath the Heavens
Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday
Little Brother - The Listening
Rass Kass - Soul on Ice
2pac - All Eyez on Me
Black Star - Black Star
Outkast - Southernplayalistic

Unless J. Cole's tape is insanely good, I don't see anything left this year surpassing Mood Muzik 4, or Death Is Silent for me. These 2 projects have been on repeat back and forth going on 2 weeks now. SOOO good.

PBY

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Unless J. Cole's tape is insanely good, I don't see anything left this year surpassing Mood Muzik 4, or Death Is Silent for me. These 2 projects have been on repeat back and forth going on 2 weeks now. SOOO good.
I liked, but didn't love MM4... what about Big Boi's album?

peterb0y said:
I liked, but didn't love MM4... what about Big Boi's album?

Not feeling Big Boi's album as much as it seems everyone else is, but then again, I'm not the biggest Outkast fan out there so I wasn't expecting to.

JEKKI

I can go on forever listing favorite albums... instead my top 6 in no particular order:

Regulate G Funk Era
Hell on Earth
Labcabincalifornia
E 1999 Eternal
Liquid Swords
93 til Infinity

93 til isnt in my top 5, but I always feel so bad when I leave it off the list so I always gotta do a top 6.

njean777

I dont have 25 but my top 12 would be

1.Raekwon-OB4CL
2.Wu-tang forever
3.Ghostface-Ironman
4.Charles Hamilton-Normalcy
5.Jay-z-Reasonable doubt
6.Wale-Attention Deficit
7.Biggie-Ready to Die
8.Kanye-College Dropout
9.Fashawn-Boy meets world
10.Blu and Exile
11.Lupe Fiasco-Food and Liquor
12.Lupe fiasco-the cool

Not in any specific order except the Wu-tang joints

dskillzhtown said:
No one liked Black Moon - Enta Da Stage? That is definitely in my top 10.

Anyone ever heard of Ghosty? I dl'd his mixtape/album and at first listen it sounds like something from the mid-90s, in a good way.

Ghosty_Ups_Is_Hiring-front-large.jpg

DL Link
Look at my list homie :) Anyway, about to DL this, thanks for the link.

I forgot to post this earlier. Superstar Quamallah-Invisible Man. This album came out last year. Love this album.

BRKCR094CD.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uugrb11_tUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfTwBRjb_PM

I've been rocking this album today, due to that Celph & Buckshot album and that list we put up. I know a few heads here would love this album.

siddx

JEKKI said:
I can go on forever listing favorite albums... instead my top 6 in no particular order:

Regulate G Funk Era
Hell on Earth
Labcabincalifornia
E 1999 Eternal
Liquid Swords
93 til Infinity

93 til isnt in my top 5, but I always feel so bad when I leave it off the list so I always gotta do a top 6.

Holy shit yes. How did I forget Regulate and E 1999 Eternal. I listened to those albums so much I wore the print off the cassette face!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe it's just the alcohol talking, but I was just listening to a playlist I have of Lupe tracks. On there is some of the crap from Enemy of the State and the new stuff he's been doing with Lupe. Then his new single came on. It dawned on me.

Lupe Fiasco is the Randy Moss of rap.

When Lupe feels like rapping, he has the tools to be known as one of the greats. When he half-asses it, he might as well have stayed home. Both whine a lot, and both do some straight out embarrassing things (ATCQ lyrics/buffet freak-out) but there really isn't no denying their talent.

Just sayin'

effzee

WanderingWind said:
Maybe it's just the alcohol talking, but I was just listening to a playlist I have of Lupe tracks. On there is some of the crap from Enemy of the State and the new stuff he's been doing with Lupe. Then his new single came on. It dawned on me.

Lupe Fiasco is the Randy Moss of rap.

When Lupe feels like rapping, he has the tools to be known as one of the greats. When he half-asses it, he might as well have stayed home. Both whine a lot, and both do some straight out embarrassing things (ATCQ lyrics/buffet freak-out) but there really isn't no denying their talent.

Just sayin'

Randy Moss is a team cancer. Lupe only hurts himself. Even when Lupe half asses his verses they are levels above most if not all other rappers.

I love the cocky attitude he has now. At the concert he claimed 2-3 times how when Lasers drops next yr it will be the best album out. Not the best rap album. BUT THE BEST ALBUM OUT FOR THE YEAR.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
effzee said:
Randy Moss is a team cancer. Lupe only hurts himself. Even when Lupe half asses his verses they are levels above most if not all other rappers.

I love the cocky attitude he has now. At the concert he claimed 2-3 times how when Lasers drops next yr it will be the best album out. Not the best rap album. BUT THE BEST ALBUM OUT FOR THE YEAR.

See, but Randy Moss' teamates always love him. It's the coaching staff that want to choke the shit out of him.

...and did Lu actually say that shit? :lol

HiResDes

Bowser said:
So I just put this mixtape in my iTunes and before I even listen, let me just say: jesus fuck this was the worst fucking tagged mixtape I've ever dealt with in my life. I'm extremely OCD about my iTunes/music collection and I spent 20 minutes properly tagging everything :/
Mine was perfect dude *shrugs*

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
effzee said:
Even when Lupe half asses his verses they are levels above most if not all other rappers.
No. Dude is not that good. :lol

I will make a list, of dudes out now, who are above him.

kaskade said:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/h-f-m-2-hunger-for-more-2/id400625715

itunes has a preview for HFM2. I'm not a huge hip hop fan but I really like what I've been hearing so far. I wonder how long until we have a leak.

sounds really good "On The Double" Sounds like the "Single Ladies" for men :lol

Preview Of All The Songs On The iTunes Deluxe Version Of HFM2 (It's Missing The Two FYE Tracks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYR6oJ7qikE&feature=player_embedded

there is also 4 leaked songs floating around out there......Nicki, Ye, & Banks Album will probably leak next week, they've already been turned into the label to be pressed up.

Also Judging from iTunes Nicki will slaughter Banks and Kanye in Sales

Ashhong

ThePrivateCookie said:

I thought this at one point too, but I don't think so anymore. Besides I see 2 versions of Kanye's album on iTunes list, and only one of Nicki's. Ye's album art is too awesome to buy digital copies of anyway.

ThePrivateCookie said:

Do you talk about anything other than sales? No wonder you're a G-Unit stan

Kanye will easily outsell Minaj. Banks isn't in the conversation, his album will bomb - like the rest of 50's camp.

PhoenixDark said:
Do you talk about anything other than sales? No wonder you're a G-Unit stan

Kanye will easily outsell Minaj. Banks isn't in the conversation, his album will bomb - like the rest of 50's camp.

stan :lol , i'm not going to acknowledge you anymore. if you don't see the significance in sales your a moron. I'm not basing the albums quality on sales, but it is an important factor you think we're gonna get another good friday type promotion if kanye flops? (he won't, just saying).

Also yeah just ignore the facts (itunes) and say kanye is gonna outsell nicki is laughable :lol shes gonna put up some good numbers. (i don't like her music.) Kanye might or might not outsell her but for you to sit here and blindly say he will is retarded.

Also i like how you say i'm all about sales and then you say banks is gonna flop, like is some sort of jab at me. :lol

You seem to have, some weird feelings of resentment towards the "G-Unit/Shady" camp which is cool an opinion is an opinion, but if you don't like a song why hate? just ignore it. take the stick outta your ass and clam the fuck down.

Also stalker when was the last time i brought up sales? i'll wait. :D

I delicate this intro to you *Muah*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokQIN2i3f0

Tokubetsu

MickD said:
Has anyone heard Ganggrene?

Tokubetsu said:

And I posted this pages ago:
New Gangrene track (Alchemist + Oh No):
YouTube Me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-nb74NGXo&hd=1

They have a special four track EP coming on the 2nd thats gonna be vinyl only and then the album Drops on Nov. 22nd:
http://deconrecords.com/store/music/...o-sawblade-ep/
(Already pre-ordered mine).

Along with drops throughout the year whenever new info dropped. Super excited

Ashhong

9th Prince-One Man Army-2010
QTIby.jpg

Shitty album cover, you know what that means.....FIYAHHHH!!!! The production is typical late 90's Wu. More in the Sunz Of Manz realm, dark and grimy ass fuck. Concrete Jungle is fucking insane. That beat and flow...Can't stop rocking my head to this. And the track, "What U Wanna Do" I feel like going to war against 3.000 kids, high ass fuck, bare-fisted, all out. Track is so grimy and hype, on some M.O.P shit. To bad Don Pachino, changed his flow, not liking at all. "Ladies and Gentlemen" Is fucking Wu all the way. Those horns are on blast, fo'real mang. "Be careful what you wish 4" Amazing baseline, amazing breakdown and the string sample....Yeah son. Track is tight. "Prince Of Empire State" is so fucking smooth, shit...I love it. A lot of the production and content repeats(Horn and key heavy)But is done right. Fun album.

Wiseman-Children Of A Lesser God-2010
9xpap.jpg

Straight pimp shit, and I mean the sampling and production. Shit is smooth. "Faith Doctrine" is a good example of this. "Lucy" is a track that Ghost would usually kill. Again, some pimp shit. "Get U Shot" very old school, Wu. Like Ironman ERA RZA. Love it. "Hurt Lockers" Is the track right there. Fucking shit is nuts! That beat is that sound I dig, too bad the hook is garbage :( "The illness 2".....Is that Sunz Of Manz shit right there, Killah Priest would murder this track, that sample is awesome. "Corn Liquor thoughts" is what you imagine the track to be...SICK. Again, the album style repeats itself like the 9th prince album, but fun. 19 tracks of Wu Style beats...I'm not complaining :)

SkyzooXILLMind-Live From The Tape Deck-2010
R6LNy.jpg

*ShinobiFist kicks himself in the face like his Avatar, then jumps out the Window*...Oh man...This album is soooooooooo fucking good, like your girl deep throating you good...Damn, so good. Top 5 album of the year for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom