• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
These links were endorsed by the project's A&R and co-writer, so I have to assume that's okay. If you like what you hear you can order the physical CD exclusively at FatBeats or digitally on iTunes. It will 'officially' be released on November 16th.

Trust me, this is worth a listen. This album is easily the sleeper that can crack everyones top 10 or top 5 albums of the year. If you're curious, here's the first single that was released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZfoX9nB0Q

Fuck it. Just saw all the bootleggers that posted it, so figured I'd share with y'all.

My dad passed away last night suddenly - which means I've lost both of my parents before I hit 34 - so the album is right now the last thing on my mind. I do hope y'all enjoy it tho, we worked hard on it.

Thanks to those of you who have been supporting us. I'll probably come back and read all the comments at some point, but for at least the next few days, I'll be with my family.

Peace y'all.

PS - you can still order the physical cd at FatBeats.com

johnregansorryimlate.jpg

Artist : John Regan
Title : Sorry Im Late

Genre : Hip-Hop
Label : Culture VI Records/Fat Beats
Catnr : n/a
Type : Album
Ripped : Nov-05-2010
Released : Oct-22-2010 ▄▄
Source : CDDA ▄▄▄███▀▀
Quality : VBRkbps ▄▄██▀▀ ░
Size : 78,6 MB ▄▄█████▀ ░░░
URL : ughh.com

http://rapidshare.com/files/428962263/JRSIL.rar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9mnspw

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RM767Q9E
2kck.jpg

K.Jack said:
^Actually not an instrumental.
I was wondering why he responded to a actual Instrumental Album with that link*SMH* Oh, and thx for sharing, goldenrope. Crazy that his dad passed away when his album is about to drop.

HiResDes said:
I told ya'll that Skyzoo was fucking tight....He's on some aggressive shit, and the beats bang hard.

Since when you post garbage? LOL! You always post that fire, son. Just like that, Lee Bannon x Chuuwee album. Album is tight as fuck. People need to rock that. So much good music this year.

reKon

Banned
K.Jack said:
^Actually not an instrumental.

Ok so it wasn't. And you and I know what an instrumental is, but that shouldn't be the focus. The point is that it's a crazy instrumental.. (and you could easily find the instrumental on youtube anyways)

Tokubetsu

ShinobiFist said:
Since when you post garbage? LOL! You always post that fire, son. Just like that, Lee Bannon x Chuuwee album. Album is tight as fuck. People need to rock that. So much good music this year.

Yea, I was thinking about doing some sort of "Your albums of the year" list next month just to help anyone who wanders into the thread but it'll be hard list to make unless we end up with 10+ albums :lol :lol

reKon said:
Ok so it wasn't. And you and I know what an instrumental is, but that shouldn't be the focus. The point is that it's a crazy instrumental.. (and you could easily find the instrumental on youtube anyways)
I posted a "instrumental album" You posted something that wasn't relevant at all. Yes, the beat for that ATOP track is tight, and I love that album. But you can't compared an instrumental album with a full album. Is like me comparing ONRA's Chinoseries(Instrumental Album) with the New Skyzoo's album, and saying, "Onra's album is better" Not a fair thing to do because they're both different concept's as a whole. And instrumental albums are not structure(or ready) To be spit on yet(Depends on the MC)and when you hear a track on a full album, is totally different from the original beat at times. And as a producer who deal's with MC's, I know this. Just my two cents. BTW, Hollow point's has a better beat in the AOTP album :p

Hootie said:
Just discovered Binary Star and One Be Lo. Great underground stuff.
Yes! Binary Star's one of my favorite group/artists of all time, even if they did not do a lot of material together. I need to try their solo stuff, though.

Solaros

I've been listening to this mixtape from L.E.P/Bogus Boys called Gangsta Rap. I saw that Dom Kennedy downloaded it from his twitter, and it's a pretty good album. Here's a snippet from "Going in for the Kill"

Going in for the kill like I've been convicted
It's a necessary ill to kill the competition
Be it heavenly father I pray for forgiveness
Hope you understand but I can't spare witness
not at all
addicted to the thrill and I can't afford to withdraw
I'm high above the law
Sitting on my high horse
Kill an MC inside, need to check forensics
leavin evidence so they know that I did it
still does it
how weird that the glove fits
guilty as charged, ain't no other way to judge it
I loves it to see you mother fuckin faces
every time I hit the club, nothing but cold cases
bottles every where
baby girl be for real, I'ma beat that pussy up
I'm going in for the kill

Check it out if you like, it's some good stuff besides the annoying DJ.

JEKKI

spindashing said:
Yes! Binary Star's one of my favorite group/artists of all time, even if they did not do a lot of material together. I need to try their solo stuff, though.
if you havent listened to One Be Lo solo material, you're missing out on SONOGRAM, which is easily one of the five best records released since 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukNXy80w2jU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffQIUXMZ2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8Ml4cxZt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehqiwgx-bsk

omg I could seriously just post the whole fukkyn album...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
JEKKI said:
saw some legends tonite.

Onyx and Pete Rock & CL Smooth.

both groups ripped it!!

Im glad coz I have never seen either act before, and as a dood who's been listening to rap for a long time both of these groups have played a significant part in my hiphop history.

bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuaqKGH2Yw
oh wow this is some good shit.

also who keeps disliking every vid on youtube honestly every vid i see has at least 2 dislikes.

Hootie

JEKKI said:
saw some legends tonite.

Onyx and Pete Rock & CL Smooth.

both groups ripped it!!

Im glad coz I have never seen either act before, and as a dood who's been listening to rap for a long time both of these groups have played a significant part in my hiphop history.

bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuaqKGH2Yw

Waitwaitwaitwait...you saw Pete Rock & CL Smooth in concert? Are they touring or something?

Recon

Banned
I saw some best of 2010 lists earlier, can anyone make me a list of the best mixtapes/free albums of this year? I havnt really kept up with the mixtape scene as much as i should have.

hubes

ReconYoda said:
I saw some best of 2010 lists earlier, can anyone make me a list of the best mixtapes/free albums of this year? I havnt really kept up with the mixtape scene as much as i should have.
some of my favorites off the top of my head..

The Illz - Pursuit LP (december 2009 but whatever, it's awesome)
Wiz Khalifa - Kush & OJ
Mac Miller - K.I.D.S
Laws - 5:01 Overtime
Moe Green - Rocky Maivia: Non Title Match
XV - Vizzy Zone
Asher Roth - Seared Foie Gras w/ Quince & Cranberry
Dee-1 - I Hope They Hear Me
Cyhi Da Prynce - Royal Flush
Pill - 1140: The Overdose
Lee Bannon x Chuuwee - HNR

probably forgot some, but all of those got a lot of playtime from me. i'm sure someone else will come by and make a huge list.

kamspy

Big K.R.I.T. Wuz Here just keeps growing on me. Levels better than almost all the retail shit that's come out this year. Dude just channels that 1992-99 8 Ball and MJG / UGK like crazy. Love to hear it. He can get lyrical too. Viktorious has one of the dopest opening verses I've heard in a long time. Just amazing. Country Shit is pure butter in the truck. Glass House makes me think it's 1997 and Suave House is still putting out bangers. Couple other tracks I don't know the names of are really instant classics too. Golden age The Source era, this is a 4 1/2 Mic album. In 2010 it's a free mixtape. Crazy.

Just a god damn wonderful release. When can I give this guy money?

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:
Big K.R.I.T. Wuz Here just keeps growing on me. Levels better than almost all the retail shit that's come out this year. Dude just channels that 1992-99 8 Ball and MJG / UGK like crazy. Love to hear it. He can get lyrical too. Viktorious has one of the dopest opening verses I've heard in a long time. Just amazing. Country Shit is pure butter in the truck. Glass House makes me think it's 1997 and Suave House is still putting out bangers. Couple other tracks I don't know the names of are really instant classics too. Golden age The Source era, this is a 4 1/2 Mic album. In 2010 it's a free mixtape. Crazy.

Just a god damn wonderful release. When can I give this guy money?

Like almost eveything, rap is a bit of a revolving door. I feel like a lot of the shit I loved this year would have been right at home in the 90s. It's like I'm 10 again and my sister is buying my explicit cassette tapes :lol

HiResDes

The Illz album doesn't really count, but he did drop a pretty damn good album/tape this year (though obviously not as good).

JEKKI

Hootie said:
Waitwaitwaitwait...you saw Pete Rock & CL Smooth in concert? Are they touring or something?
I dont kno... they did 2 shows last nite in LA,

first at the One Nation Hip Hop Summit, which is like a panel and showcase for spreading the culture of hiphop,

the other at Boombox @ Grand Star Jazz, which is one of the hiphop nites at a club in chinatown.

both are relatively cheap to get into, like $10, so I dont think it's a tour... plus their set is short only like 5~6 songs.

btw if any of u guys are in LA, definitely check out Grand Star Jazz Club if u wanna go to a hiphop party. Lots of bboys & bgirls up in there 1st and 3rd saturdays of the month.

Tokubetsu

JEKKI said:
I dont kno... they did 2 shows last nite in LA,

first at the One Nation Hip Hop Summit, which is like a panel and showcase for spreading the culture of hiphop,

the other at Boombox @ Grand Star Jazz, which is one of the hiphop nites at a club in chinatown.

both are relatively cheap to get into, like $10, so I dont think it's a tour... plus their set is short only like 5~6 songs.

btw if any of u guys are in LA, definitely check out Grand Star Jazz Club if u wanna go to a hiphop party. Lots of bboys & bgirls up in there 1st and 3rd saturdays of the month.

I gotta get out to the left coast man.

HiResDes

Tracklist Out - HYPE!!!!

20101104-FREEAGENT.jpg

01 Intro
02 Put Some Money On It f. Sheek Louch, Jadakiss & Styles P
03 Killed For Less (Intro)
04 One Shot (Killed For Less) f. Fat Joe
05 Sing Like Bilal
06 Finish What You Start f. Royce Da 5’9”
07 Battle Cry f. Just Blaze
08 Nursery Rhyme
09 Phone (Skit)
10 Call Me (She Said) f. Novel
11 So Hard f. Anna Yvette
12 Oh! f. Iffy (prod. Large Professor)
13 Checkin’ For You (Skit)
14 Checkin’ For You
15 Good Man Is Gone
16 Cocaine
17 Incredible (Bonus)

Also:

Children of the Night - Higher State (Prod. Ski Beatz) - Dope as usual

Sene - Return2Gold - Blu's more productive half

Is this true lol

This is a Don Bleek exclusive. Down South Rapper/Producer Jay Electronica is a signature away from signing with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label. All of the paper work with the lawyers and accountants has already been process. By the time I post this story, Jay Electronica signature should be signed on the contract. A major announcement is expected to be made sometime this week or early next week.

Jay Electronica and Jay-Z already recorded a song together called “Rendezvous At Tiffany’s.” A snippet of the song was sent to my e-mail, but for legal reasons, I cannot post the song just yet. The two are supposed to premiere the song at Tiffany’s & Company in NYC.

I came in this industry respecting the music of Jay-Z and Biggie. I am one of the biggest Jay and Big fans but this dude Jay Electronica is f**king dope. I haven’t felt and artist this much since I started listening to Biggie and Jay back in the late 90′s. I am a fan of his and I think he has a lot of potential. In my opinion, Jay will make a great impact once he drop his debut album.
http://yodonbleekraps.com/2010/11/0...rapperproducer-jay-electronica-to-roc-nation/

The whole "performing at a diamond store" shit sounds so fake. But Jay Elec did do a track with Jay-Z, and he has a relationship with Just Blaze; but then again given the brotherly criticisms Blaze has made of him (not showing up to record, not being serious about releasing music, being a free soul, etc), I dunno if he'd co-sign him for a huge record deal. And why would someone as money driven as Jay-Z sign someone who can't be marketed to the mainstream. He'd probably offer a 360 deal, and I don't see Jay Elec signing that (record label would get a percentage of his tour money)

Jay Electronica doesn't seem to be serious about being a traditional rapper in terms of releasing material, being on a label (mainstream or indie), etc. Just Blaze mentioned that Jay was full blown homeless when he met him. With that in mind, it's not hard to see why he's performing all the time (off the buzz of one song) around the globe making money. He's having a blast, he's in a decent place financially probably, dude is buying Apple products etc lol. But at some point you can't starve your fans like this, just because you're afraid the album won't live up to their expectations.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
new Ghostface Killah, first single of The Apollo Kids
http://www.islanddefjam.com/artist/news_single.aspx?nid=8273&artistID=7302

...eh

That beat is mixtape quality at best. The loop transition is so lazy. Horns during the verse could have been interesting but it doesn't work imo. And the rhymes are pretty boring.

What'd you expect?

PhoenixDark said:
Is this true lol

http://yodonbleekraps.com/2010/11/0...rapperproducer-jay-electronica-to-roc-nation/

The whole "performing at a diamond store" shit sounds so fake. But Jay Elec did do a track with Jay-Z, and he has a relationship with Just Blaze; but then again given the brotherly criticisms Blaze has made of him (not showing up to record, not being serious about releasing music, being a free soul, etc), I dunno if he'd co-sign him for a huge record deal. And why would someone as money driven as Jay-Z sign someone who can't be marketed to the mainstream. He'd probably offer a 360 deal, and I don't see Jay Elec signing that (record label would get a percentage of his tour money)

Jay Electronica doesn't seem to be serious about being a traditional rapper in terms of releasing material, being on a label (mainstream or indie), etc. Just Blaze mentioned that Jay was full blown homeless when he met him. With that in mind, it's not hard to see why he's performing all the time (off the buzz of one song) around the globe making money. He's having a blast, he's in a decent place financially probably, dude is buying Apple products etc lol. But at some point you can't starve your fans like this, just because you're afraid the album won't live up to their expectations.

Fucking Jay Elec. I just want him to release Dear Moleskine. I'd buy that. Then he can go fuck off.

HiResDes

I guess we're doing top ten lists already, even though there is only one more month to go?

Okay I guess here are mine, cut down from a total of over 30 retail hip-hop/rap albums and 60 mixtapes :lol.

Top Ten Retail Albums:

1. Apollo Brown - The Reset
2. Pimp C - The Naked Soul of Sweet Jones
3. Shad - TSOL
4. Skyzoo & Illmind - Live from the Tape Deck
5. Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson
6. Big Boi- Sir Luscious Left Foot
7. Versis - iLLCANDESCENT
8. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
9. Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package
10. The Roots - How I Got Over

Honorable Mention: Hell Razah - Heaven Razah

Top Ten Free-Albums (Much Harder Actually):

1. Add-2 - Tale of Two's City Vol. 4. (Yes I'm biased as fuck) :lol
2. Quest - How Thoughtful
3. Big K.R.I.T - Wuz Here
4. Wrekonize - A Soiree For Subjects
5. Asher Roth - Seared Foie Gras
6. Lee Bannon & Chuwee- HNR
7. The Illz - In Between Video Series
8. Smoke Dza - George Kush Da Button
9. SkuF'L - Welcome to My Block
10. Moe Green - Rocky Maivia

Honorable Mention: Mellowhype - BLACKENEDWHITE

Notes: - Mixtape list could easily be expanded to 20 without a loss in quality really. November is sure to change the looks of my top ten retail albums, as I expect the new Kanye album will definitely crack my top five.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom