• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

My best of 2010

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
Wiz Khalifa - Kush & Orange Juice
Drake - Thank Me Later
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
Big KRIT - KRIT Wuz Here
Miami Beat Wave - Slight Modification
Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon II
Tyler The Creator - Bastard
Mellowhype - BlackenedWhite
Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
Big Sean - Finally Famous V3
Das Racist - Sit Down, Man
Childish Gambino - Culdesac

MBDTF and Pilot Talk 2 are really the only albums left that i can see breaking into my list

Tokubetsu

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli
Kno - Death Is Silent
Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson...
Freddie Gibbs - Str8 Killa EP
Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
The Roots - How I Got Over
Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
Diabolic - Liar & A Thief
Black Milk - Album of The Year
Apollo Brown - Reset

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Gutter Water and Pilot Talk 2 still pending :lol. All these albums I've basically played the shit out of. Should probably put Vinnie Paz's solo on there, been spinning that a lot lately.

Tokubetsu

rossonero said:
Just heard A Million In The Morning by Jay Electronica. Does he have anything else worth checking out?

I'm gonna save you the heartache and just tell you not to look up anything else by him until he releases an album.

Top Ten-2010

1. Strong Arm Steady. In search for Stoney Jackson
2. Apollo Brown. The Reset
3. Wiseman. Children Of A Lesser God
4. Debaser. Peerless
5. Skyzoo & ILLMIND. Live From The Tape Deck
6. Curren$y-Piolt Talk
7. Eternia & Moss. At Last
8. CNN. War Report 2
9. 9th Prince-. One Man Army
10. Hell Razah. Heaven Razah

Top Ten Tracks-2010

1. LIL B. Pretty Boy
2. Lil B. Pretty Bitch
3. Lil B. BASED GOD
4. Skyzoo & ILLMIND. Krylon
5. Skyzoo & ILLMIND . Speaker Box
6. Fat Joe. Valley Of Death
7. AOTP. Hollow Points
8. LIl B. Hoes On My Dick
9. CNN. Bodega Stories
10. Lil B. I Cook

I'll make a REAL Top-Ten next month. (Notice no Kno and Roots)Kno, Roots and SAS are my top 3 on my real list. But need to hear Curren$y and Kanye's album to make the final list.

Kno - Death is Silent
Currency - Pilot Talk
Big Boi - The Son of Chico Dusty
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Strong Army Steady - In Search of Stony Jackson
Black Milk - Album of the Year
The Left - Gas Mask
Nas & Damien Marley - Distant Relatives
Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package

Pilot Talk will no doubt wind up on the list, and Kanye's album (might troll it regardless). Still haven't listened to Shad's album, and some others

feels like I'm missing a lot of albums for some reason. Joe Budden's album could go on the list I guess.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Kno - Death is Silent
Currency - Pilot Talk
Big Boi - The Son of Chico Dusty
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Strong Army Steady - In Search of Stony Jackson
Black Milk - Album of the Year
The Left - Gas Mask
Nas & Damien Marley - Distant Relatives
Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package

Pilot Talk will no doubt wind up on the list, and Kanye's album (might troll it regardless). Still haven't listened to Shad's album, and some others

feels like I'm missing a lot of albums for some reason. Joe Budden's album could go on the list I guess.

My problem with the Budden album (and most of his shit anyway) is the tracks are always a minute too long and it doesn't help that its just him complaining for the whole thing. I don't mind emo shit (I legitimately like Cudi, Atmosphere etc.) but his shit just wears on me a minute into most of his tracks.

HiResDes

Yes you nailed it really...Also I don't like the choruses on some of the tracks, but that's just me being nit-picky. Overall though, I don't there are very many albums that sound like it this year, which helped its case in my book.

Tokubetsu said:
My problem with the Budden album (and most of his shit anyway) is the tracks are always a minute too long and it doesn't help that its just him complaining for the whole thing. I don't mind emo shit (I legitimately like Cudi, Atmosphere etc.) but his shit just wears on me a minute into most of his tracks.

It has some great tracks but the production is pretty weak and many songs feel the same lyrically. Lots of complaining. Although it doesn't match the "she was a stripper on weekends to take care of her 5 year old son btw she's 19 and her dad raped her" Atmosphere stuff. jeez

kamspy

Big KRIT - Wuz Here
Pimp C - Naked Soul of Sweet James
My GOOD Friday CD
Rick Ross - Teflon Don (where the hell did this come from?!?)
Diabolic - Liar & A Thief
Freddie Gibbs - Str8 Killa No Filla (stfu Statik tags)
Wacka Flocka - Flockaveli (haven't heard this much bang in a couple years)
Big Boi - Leftfoot (burnt fast, didn't have much staying power in my CD player)
Drake - Thank Me Later (Really played out fast but I'd be lying if I said I didn't bump the shit out of it)
Jeezy - Trap or Die 2

Notable Turds

Bun B - Trill O.G. -lame as shit. Sounds like Diddy was the executive producer. 5 mics lol.
Eminem - Recovery -stop while you're ahead Em.
Joe Budden - it's like he's personifying the Mad Rapper skits on the old Biggie CDs. Take a pill man.

HiResDes

I think the production is fantastic on Mood Muzik Vol. 4 actually, and I found it less cheesy lyrically than Atmosphere's album.

I haven't heard 10 (rap) albums from this year that I personally found worth mentioning, so here's a top 5 + 1!

1) John Regan - Sorry I'm Late
2) Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
3) Joe Budden - Mood Muzik 4
4) Eminem - Recovery
5) The Roots - How I Got Over

honorable mention: KNO - Death Is Silent.

kamspy said:
Fake apology for double post!

yo Rap-GAF. Any suggestions for stuff I can listen to in the car with my kids?

album-lost-and-found.jpg

Its not corny pop-rap either. There are a lot of legitimately good tracks on this album, no cursing (save for once, and its bleeped out, lulz), no suggestive themes, just good clean Hip-Hopz.

MMaRsu

Pinko Marx said:
album-lost-and-found.jpg

Its not corny pop-rap either. There are a lot of legitimately good tracks on this album, no cursing (save for once, and its bleeped out, lulz), no suggestive themes, just good clean Hip-Hopz.

I'd go for Willennium or Greatest hits..

Oozer3993

Pinko Marx said:
album-lost-and-found.jpg

I was gonna say the same thing. Good album. Title track is great.

kamspy

Pinko Marx said:

I actually have most of his stuff in the truck along with some Beastie Boys just for this purpose.

Good thinking though. That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

HiResDes said:
I think the production is fantastic on Mood Muzik Vol. 4 actually, and I found it less cheesy lyrically than Atmosphere's album.

I have never liked the production on a Joe Budden album. Mood Muzik Vol. 3, Vol. 4 and whatever his last album was especially. They all have that weird, rock/80s sound to them.

And sometimes I also can't take his incessant complaining. I don't know how he's getting with these video chicks. He must use his music as an outlet and is actually cheerful and upbeat in person.

Also, I am not really feeling too many albums from this year.

So far, maybe Teflon Don, Pilot Talk and How I Got Over.

I still need to give Wiz Khalifa (sp), Waka Flocka, Freddie Gibs and Big Kritt a listen.

HiResDes

Those that can't name 10 albums haven't listened to enough shit...That's ridiculous.

Edit: Also revised my list, listened to the Versis album again and felt it should definitely be in my top ten.

Tokubetsu

All of my favorite Big Sean tracks are the ones with Mike Posner on them. Though I do love his lemonade and rollin freestyles.

HiResDes said:
Those that can't name 10 albums haven't listened to enough shit...That's ridiculous.

Edit: Also revised my list, listened to the Versis album again and felt it should definitely be in my top ten.

I've listened to a bunch of other albums, just not any I find particularly good. (Thank Me Later, Teflon Don, Pilot Talk, Sir Luscious Left Foot, Revolutions Per Minute, Stimulus Package, etc. etc.)

I'm just picky.

HiResDes

dope4goldrope said:
I've listened to a bunch of other albums, just not any I find particularly good. (Thank Me Later, Teflon Don, Pilot Talk, Sir Luscious Left Foot, Revolutions Per Minute, Stimulus Package, etc. etc.)

I'm just picky.
Check out the albums in my top five, besides the Pimp C album, it's definitely an acquired taste that I have for him that made it so high.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
spindashing said:
Hey, my GAF-HOP bretheren.

I want to get into Big Sean. What should I start things out with?

Start by punching yourself in the ear until you go deaf. Thats the only way you will enjoy Big Sean.

siddx

also, top ten

Skuf'L - Welcome to my block
Royce da 5'9 - Bar exam 3
Big Boi - Sir lucious left foot
J.Lately - el mananero
Mike Dreams - Just waking up
Miami Beat Wave - Slight modification
Atmosphere - To all my friends
Illz - the pursuit
Wrekonize - A Soiree For Subjects
Asher Roth - Seared Foie Gras

There are a few I haven't had enough time to listen to yet that may knock some of these off the list. Like that Add-2 mixtape.

siddx said:
Start by punching yourself in the ear until you go deaf. Thats the only way you will enjoy Big Sean.

Well, I only got curious after hearing him do an okay job in some of the G.O.O.D. Friday tracks.

Slizz

spindashing said:
Well, I only got curious after hearing him do an okay job in some of the G.O.O.D. Friday tracks.
Start with UKNOWBIGSEAN with Mick Boogie I think not sure though. Then Finally Famous, then Finally Famous 3

siddx

spindashing said:

lol I'm just being mouthy. I mean I still think he sucks dog dick but if you wanna hear him, by all means go ahead. I just wish someone would tattoo "how you say it is more important than what you say" on his hand. Guy has one of the most obnoxiously boring deliveries in hip hop that makes any lyrical talent he may have completely irrelevant to me.

siddx said:
lol I'm just being mouthy. I mean I still think he sucks dog dick but if you wanna hear him, by all means go ahead. I just wish someone would tattoo "how you say it is more important than what you say" on his hand. Guy has one of the most obnoxiously boring deliveries in hip hop that makes any lyrical talent he may have completely irrelevant to me.

At least he's not the worst rapper on that roster anymore. That honor goes to Cyhi The Prynce.

siddx said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol cot damn.

I think CyHi's worse than he is. I'm liking this UKNOWBIGSEAN tape though. Some tracks aren't jumping at me as real special, but I appreciate it. Thanks again, guys.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol cot damn.

I think CyHi's worse than he is. I'm liking this UKNOWBIGSEAN tape though. Some tracks aren't jumping at me as real special, but I appreciate it. Thanks again, guys.
Despite their decent features on G.O.O.D. Friday tracks, I can't get into Big Sean or CyHi at all. I've given up trying to like them a long time ago.

siddx

dope4goldrope said:
At least he's not the worst rapper on that roster anymore. That honor goes to Cyhi The Prynce.

I pretend Cyhi doesn't exist.

I mean for fucks sake he spells Prince with a motherfucking Y. A fucking Y. A fucking Y. Y. This is not 1992 and purposefully misspelling simple words is no longer "cool and rebellious". It's dumb as fuck and makes you look like an uneducated SPED student.

Baby Milo

Tokubetsu said:
Fucking Jay Elec. I just want him to release Dear Moleskine. I'd buy that. Then he can go fuck off.
Don't blame him touring is where the money is at nowadays. People just release songs to get people to come out to shows.

MMaRsu

spindashing said:

He sucked ass on that latest Good Friday track man. Or maybe it was just the mixing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Fucking Jay Elec. I just want him to release Dear Moleskine. I'd buy that. Then he can go fuck off.
Fuck you, Tokubetsu. I just listened to Dear Moleskine's little snippet again because of you and it has brought fourth all the feelings of anger and desperation at the release of that song again.

:(

enzo_gt said:
Fuck you, Tokubetsu. I just listened to Dear Moleskine's little snippet again because of you and it has brought fourth all the feelings of anger and desperation at the release of that song again.

:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNOXspNGCQ ;)

BTW, Dear Moleskine is also the title of a audio/visual project. It's been finished for at least 1.5 years, nobody really knows the extent of the project. Only confirmed songs are the title Dear Moleskine and Exhibit A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom