• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

dope4goldrope said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNOXspNGCQ ;)

BTW, Dear Moleskine is also the title of a audio/visual project. It's been finished for at least 1.5 years, nobody really knows the extent of the project. Only confirmed songs are the title Dear Moleskine and Exhibit A.

It's sitting in Decon's/Jason Goldwatch's house somewhere most likely. Waiting for Jay Electronica to stop being a fuckhead.

JEKKI

everybody is already listing top albums??

I cant make a top 10, rap music still sucks,

my top 5:

Statik Selektah - 100 Proof
Pack FM - I Fu**in Hate Rappers
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
yU- Before Taxes
Rakaa - Crown of Thorns

lots of honorable mentions and stuff Im still lookin forward to listening to, but if u aint top 5 then sorry try harder...

dope4goldrope said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQNOXspNGCQ ;)

BTW, Dear Moleskine is also the title of a audio/visual project. It's been finished for at least 1.5 years, nobody really knows the extent of the project. Only confirmed songs are the title Dear Moleskine and Exhibit A.

I'd imagine Decon wants that stuff released asap, it's not like they're some uber successful label. Same with Act II, which has been in various forms of "almost done" for like two years. I remember thinking it was definitely coming out around the time Exhibit C started getting a major buzz online and New York radio. Jay capitalized by heading on tour, but nothing else came of it. Very disappointing. Back in August he said the album would be out in September for his birthday lol.

anyway, one of my fav under the radar songs from him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfwRIHF8FU

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bowser said:
Damn I've never had such mixed feelings on a joint in a while. Its alright and the rhymes are mostly on point but, damn something just isn't right with this song. Might be the beat/hook.

And I just finished listening to Food & Liquor for the first time too. Quite impressed, but I still like the Cool better, probably since I heard it first.

RPS37

"Cuz the pressure's on me plus I feel like Bill Murray trapped in Punxsutawney"
(something to that effect) Siiiiiick. Damn Jay Electronica. People are releasing stuff. You should too!

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
Damn I've never had such mixed feelings on a joint in a while. Its alright and the rhymes are mostly on point but, damn something just isn't right with this song. Might be the beat/hook.

And I just finished listening to Food & Liquor for the first time too. Quite impressed, but I still like the Cool better, probably since I heard it first.
The track isn't mixed right, vocals are too high/beat too low, and it sounds a bit sloppy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RPS37 said:
Where's the news on Wiz Khalifa getting arrested??
I fuck with Black & Yellow for the beat but, I honestly think anyone that doesn't smoke weed believes he's incredibly average at doing what he does.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
Weird segue.
I know, but the beat and hook are what carry that song. As soon as I start paying attention to the lyrics I cringe. I just feel his rhymes are always nothing special, or too vanilla.

Eh, guess I'm just not the target audience.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I fuck with Black & Yellow for the beat but, I honestly think anyone that doesn't smoke weed believes he's incredibly average at doing what he does.
No keys... push to start

Love Wiz:lol

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
YouTube links to some standout tracks?

When U Find

Say U Will

B.A.R.
- Not really deep, but couldn't resist

Time Goes By - One of my favorite Wiz tracks ever, not on B.A.R.

Edit: "Anyone listen to MellowHype" Yeah duh, at least read through the last two pages before you post in here...It's common courtesy.

Edit 2: I think I got the mixtapes mixed up, Prince of the City 2 is my favorite Wiz mixtape ever, although B.A.R. is kinda close.

MickD

I'm too lazy to post mine because everyone has already posted the same things but easily my numero uno is Big K.R.I.T. or Freddie Gibbs

my top 10 for 2010:

1) Roots - How I Got Over
2) Sha Stimuli - Overtime: My Soul To Keep
3) Laws - 5:01 Overtime
4) Skyzoo - Live From The Tape Deck
5) KIDA - The Endemic
6) The ILLZ - The In Between Video Series
7) Shad K - TSOL
8) Mickey Factz - I'm Better Than You
9) Naledge - Naledge Is Twentysomething
10) P.SO - Suicide By Jellyfish

look forward to checking out albums/mixtapes from everyone else's top 10's

HiResDes

The Laws tape is just a deluxe-no dj version of an amazing tape that came out last year...Sha Stimuli's album also came out last-year. But at least you didn't list the Pursuit.

Edit: Oh Overtime is new, my fault.

TheVisualizer said:
my top 10 for 2010:

1) Roots - How I Got Over
2) Sha Stimuli - Overtime: My Soul To Keep
3) Laws - 5:01 Overtime
4) Skyzoo - Live From The Tape Deck
5) KIDA - The Endemic
6) The ILLZ - The In Between Video Series
7) Shad K - TSOL
8) Mickey Factz - I'm Better Than You
9) Naledge - Naledge Is Twentysomething
10) P.SO - Suicide By Jellyfish

look forward to checking out albums/mixtapes from everyone else's top 10's

Love your list, man. TSOL was one of those album's I was pimping in GAF-HOP on the old thread. P.SO-Suicide by Jellyfish is one of those albums I haven't checked yet. Same with Naledge. Should check those out this week.

SMH @ me not being able to rank 10 projects this year, let alone split by ALBUM, and MIXTAPE :lol If this isn't the sign of me being super picky, I don't know what is.

From what I can remember these are all I legitimately liked this year that I would go back to in the future.

Kno- Death Is Certain: This album is amazing IMO. One of the best in years.
Joe Budden- Mood Muzik 4
Royce Da 5'9"- The Bar Exam 3 (NO DJ)
Skyzoo- Live From The Tape Deck (I need to give this more listens)
Nas & Damien Marley- Distant Relatives

That's about it. Black Milk's AOTY was a HUGE diappointment after the superb Tronic, Eminem's Recovery has no replay value, Big Boi's album wasn't that impressive to me, Drake's Thank Me Later was very very meh, not a fan of Gucci, Waka Flocka, Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, Ross, Jeezy, Kid Cudi, etc.

The only projects left that I think have the potential to break into my list are J. Cole's Friday Night Lights, and Joell Ortiz's Free Agent honestly.

Ashhong

Just listened to Big Boi's album. Why did nobody in this thread ever talk about this?! Good shit!

I kid, I've just been too lazy to listen. Damn its good though

TheOddOne

Ashhong said:
Just listened to Big Boi's album. Why did nobody in this thread ever talk about this?! Good shit!

I use to respect you Ashhong, ya lazy bum.

MMaRsu

Ashhong said:

Just now? :p. And yeah it's really really good :).

effzee

enzo_gt said:
New J. Cole. Throwaway from Friday Night Lights.
http://nahright.com/news/2010/11/08/j-cole-purple-rain-prod-by-j-cole/

Also, Lloyd Banks ft. Eminem & Akon - Celebrity
http://nahright.com/news/2010/11/08/lloyd-banks-ft-eminem-akon-celebrity-no-tags/

I'm not mad at that Cole beat. I really think Cole was serious when he said we're not ready to hear Friday Night Lights. Shit sounds sooooooo good.

Is that Banks Eminem song real? I thought he was only on a bonus track called Where I'm At?

HiResDes

Net_Wrecker said:
SMH @ me not being able to rank 10 projects this year, let alone split by ALBUM, and MIXTAPE :lol If this isn't the sign of me being super picky, I don't know what is.

From what I can remember these are all I legitimately liked this year that I would go back to in the future.

Kno- Death Is Certain: This album is amazing IMO. One of the best in years.
Joe Budden- Mood Muzik 4
Royce Da 5'9"- The Bar Exam 3 (NO DJ)
Skyzoo- Live From The Tape Deck (I need to give this more listens)
Nas & Damien Marley- Distant Relatives

That's about it. Black Milk's AOTY was a HUGE diappointment after the superb Tronic, Eminem's Recovery has no replay value, Big Boi's album wasn't that impressive to me, Drake's Thank Me Later was very very meh, not a fan of Gucci, Waka Flocka, Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, Ross, Jeezy, Kid Cudi, etc.

The only projects left that I think have the potential to break into my list are J. Cole's Friday Night Lights, and Joell Ortiz's Free Agent honestly.
Check out some of the shit people are listing dude, there's a bunch of non/lesser mainstream stuff that it seems like you've just decided to skip.

@Shinobi - Naledge's tape was just aight, I don't know if I would waste my time.

Edit: Oh and yeah I was fully aware the Ghost song was old, but that mashup just came out yesterday and I thought it was pretty tight.

TheOddOne said:
I'm just gonna put it out there: Live From The Tape Deck has the worst beats ever.

WTF? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.*Opinions ignored from now on* :lol

hubes

RPS37 said:
Where's the news on Wiz Khalifa getting arrested??
Hnv42.jpg

Khalifa, whose real name is Cameron Thomaz, was charged with a felony count of trafficking in marijuana, a felony count of maintaining or storing marijuana and one misdemeanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20022168-504083.html

HiResDes

Okay I couldn't resist I felt this needed to be done, after looking at my list of 60 mixtapes...

Top Ten Mixtapes That Got Skipped Over(Including By Me)

1. K-Os - The Anchorman Mixtape
2. L.E.$ - Beautiful Struggle
3. ArtOfficial - The Payback
4. Jream - Fresh Cutz: The First Impression
5. Melo-X - Mustafa The Godking
6. J. Pinder - Code Red
7. Dee Goodz - ConGRADulations
8. X.O. - 1.1.10
9. Ayomari - The PB+J Solution
10. Johnny Polygon - Rebel Without Applause

Honorable Mention: Theophilus London- I Want you

HiResDes said:
The Laws tape is just a deluxe-no dj version of an amazing tape that came out last year...Sha Stimuli's album also came out last-year. But at least you didn't list the Pursuit.

Edit: Oh Overtime is new, my fault.

the Overtime Stimuli mixtape is from 2010, its all new verses over almost every song from My Soul To Keep, its way better than the retail, don't sleep

and yeah I know Laws is technically from 2009, but it released in this calendar year so fuck it, but if you want to be picky I can replace it with QuESt - How Thoughtful, prob should have made my list anyway...

for the UK Hip Hop heads

Suspect packages just got in Kashmere's new album - Galaktus: Power Cosmic

Kashmere has always been ill so a must buy!!

Oh yeahhhh. Just got my slice of the Cudder.

RXrbu.jpg

Album cover! Deluxe, as you can see.

1D6XI.jpg

Picture booklet! There's titties on the back!

6Nm9n.jpg

My Cuddernese translation book!

xgijr.jpg

The CD.

tumMe.jpg

Extra DVD, which I did not gaze at yet. :D

Still listening. I'm at Don't Play This Song. Will give my impressions when I am done. :lol

SWAG. SWAG. Stayed away from leaks and this is orgasmic so far. I could be biased as a Cudi fan, but I don't give a fuck. :lol The booklet comes in handy for Cuddernese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom