• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
K.Jack said:
That's a nice verse. He's a good rapper. But he's not mindblowing. Good lyricists aren't as rare as the mainstream may lead one to believe.

Even Wayne has written verses on the exact level of that new track.

I will lists war this shit to Armageddon.

lol, click on the links and read man

I don't think you could just label this as just a "nice verse". It pretty much addresses why people put him at the top lyrically.

I'm even saying his songs are that good.

On a bar by bar basis I think he's one of the best, at least one of the most thought provoking on a superficial level.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
reKon said:
lol, click on the links and read man

I don't think you could just label this as just a "nice verse". It pretty much addresses why people put him at the top lyrically.
Read the lyrics? Dude, I have the track blaring in my earbuds right now.

Jay-Z has been writing verses like that for at least a decade. The kid is nice, but not really special.

HiResDes

toasty_T said:
I'm even saying his songs are that good.

On a bar by bar basis I think he's one of the best, at least one of the most thought provoking on a superficial level.

One of the best sure that doesn't out of line, but there are about a dozen better lyricists out there IMO...Even if I can't name a dozen with better first two albums.

reKon

Banned
K.Jack said:
Read the lyrics? Dude, I have the track blaring in my earbuds right now.

Jay-Z has been writing verses like that for at least a decade. The kid is nice, but not really special.

LOL, i'm telling you read the lyrics explained because half these lyrics will fly over your head, especially if you're listening to this for the first time

in other words, you can't just call him "not special"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
reKon said:
LOL, i'm telling you read the lyrics explained because half these lyrics will fly over your head, especially if you're listening to this for the first time
I see.

Lyrically, you and I are in completely different places.

We will never see eye to eye on this young man's talent.

effzee

Dreams-Visions said:
listened to it again.

HOLY SHIT..

Lupe > > > your favorite lyricist.

I don't think I've heard a single throw-away verse or stanza. Seriously. Super Lupe indeed.

Agreed. Lasers is my most anticipated album ever? I think? No it is. To me Lupe is the best lyricist out and I guess thats very subjective but to me no one combines lyrics, flow, message, wit, and clever lines better than him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I'm the only one who liked The Show Goes On & I still think Lupe is slipping. He's still amazing, but slipping.

HiResDes

reKon said:
different places?

what are you looking for lyrically then? I told you to read the damn page for a reason. YES, THIS ONE:
http://rapgenius.com/lyrics/Lupe-fiasco/Failure

LOOK LINE BY LINE. LUPE DEFINES LYRICAL.
Soulja Boy +1, a lot of that shit is so cheesy and so exclusive that it really does make some of the lines inaccessible. They are like inside jokes to himself. Just look at this line and explanation -

It's so serious every time I write my John Hancock like
Could damn near see Detroit ( I see you )

Explanation: Lupe plays with the word serious, pronouncing it “Sears” as in Sears Tower, the tallest building in the country (located in Chicago, but from the top you can almost see Detroit)

or this:

Gangsta lean
Hats on tilt like these Snickers ain't drop out the vending machine

Explanation: These are the type of guys who wear their hat tipped to look cool.Just like you tip the vending machine when it doesn’t drop your Snickers! (notice the Niggas/Snickas wordplay)

and this is downright ridiculous:

So it might be a Rover, right
But every time I drop a 'r'
(Get off the streets)
It's "over" aite

Explanation: Rover — R = Over

...Speaking in metaphors does not equate to depth. You're supposed to use metaphors to create accessibility, not exclude.

Ovid

Hey guys, can someone upload Kid Cudi's first mix tape "A Kid Named Cudi"? For some reason I can't find a working link on Google. Thanks.

RPS37

HiResDes said:
...Speaking in metaphors does not equate to depth. You're supposed to use metaphors to create accessibility, not exclude.

Isn't that why people like to say, "They don't dig me cuz I'm over they head mayne!"?

And isn't crazy metaphors the type of thing that if a song is super sick, you might catch on to after tons of listens and be like, "Oh shit! I get it!"?

Isn't that...cool?

In other news: I'm totally diggin this rapgenius site. Looking at songs doing that.

HiResDes

Metaphors should be intuitive, the best ones shed light using popular commonalities in which others can instantly share. This is why Tupac is so highly regarded.

You know shit like:

Nigga I get mine - by any means on whenever there's a drought
Get your umbrellas out because, that's when I brainstorm

Some of Lupe's shit is super fucking random, like there isn't a theme :lol

It's like listening to a Fred Da Godson freestyle, but not as grimy.

HiResDes

Dude I don't think there is one, he did it on Hot 97. He might reuse some of those lines on his upcoming album anyway, I wouldn't be surprised.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
Dude I don't think there is one, he did it on Hot 97. He might reuse some of those lines on his upcoming album anyway, I wouldn't be surprised.

Kanye's verse is straight from Gorgeous

PBY

Banned
spermatic cord said:
i won't be surprised when friday night lights takes a giant dump on ye's album
Kanye's album is great (I think one of the all time best rap albums, but I might be getting carried away there:lol ), so I don't think that will happen

Ashhong

pistolpete2940 said:
Im a total noob when it comes to this. Is there any way to rip the audio straight from that video then?

If I wasn't going out I would help you here. You can use a program called VirtualDub (free) to open the video (you have to download it first of course) and then convert it to audio. I'm sure theres other programs as well

reKon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Soulja Boy +1, a lot of that shit is so cheesy and so exclusive that it really does make some of the lines inaccessible. They are like inside jokes to himself. Just look at this line and explanation -

It's so serious every time I write my John Hancock like
Could damn near see Detroit ( I see you )

Explanation: Lupe plays with the word serious, pronouncing it “Sears” as in Sears Tower, the tallest building in the country (located in Chicago, but from the top you can almost see Detroit)

or this:

Gangsta lean
Hats on tilt like these Snickers ain't drop out the vending machine

Explanation: These are the type of guys who wear their hat tipped to look cool.Just like you tip the vending machine when it doesn’t drop your Snickers! (notice the Niggas/Snickas wordplay)

and this is downright ridiculous:

So it might be a Rover, right
But every time I drop a 'r'
(Get off the streets)
It's "over" aite

Explanation: Rover — R = Over

I know and that's not what I'm arguing. This was simply a response to someone saying that Lupe isn't special lyrically when he is..

Vinyl Frontiers- Unreleased EP-2010
EvueX.gif

Vinyl Frontiers said:
The european production crew known as Vinyl Frontiers have just launched a new label (iMake Records). To celebrate the launch they have released a free EP full of unreleased collaborations and remixes with various North American artists that have yet to see the light of day. The Unreleased EP will also give a small glimpse into future projects with Canadian producer/MC Muneshine and California MC Trek Life. VF explains more below:

“We've met a lot of artists during European tours and through the internet. Producers usually have to settle for just production credits in a booklet, but we have been blessed in a way that all these artists are willing to let us release this music ourselves. So expect a lot of EP's/albums from Vinyl Frontiers within the next year. The first EP will be made with Canada's Muneshine, followed by Cali's own Treklife.

http://www.whiskeyteeth.com/2010/11/vinyl-frontiers-unreleased-ep.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heje8zHUqvA

Tracklist said:
01 Dj Friss intro
02 Redlight Boogie – Betrayal
03 Maffew Ragazino – Pale Moon Light
04 Muneshine – What Now (feat. Sean Price & Termanology) (Vinyl Frontiers rmx)
05 Treklife – Always Together
06 Reef – You Gotta
07 Oddisee – Such Is Life (Vinyl Frontiers rmx)
08 Kaimbr – Raw Music

Moka Only-2010
T3b9e.jpg

Oh man, need some smoke. This record is smooth as fuck. Shad-TSOL fans(like myself) would love this record as well. Very fucking chill. Oh and that Shad track....FIYYYYAHHHH!

Tracklist said:
01.Airport Dream Theme
02.On A Roll
03.How Do You Feel Today
04.Glazed Feat. Mr Brady
05.Museumcees
06.Morning Arrival
07.Ways
08.Shivers
09.Diggy
10.Let You Know Feat. Psy
11.Sweet Action