• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Net_Wrecker said:
Doesn't mean he'll tone it down though. Even on the T.I. track dude was going CRAZY, and that track didn't call for that in the slightest.

T.I. was probably like "WTF is going on here?"

Em does body the whole song with his 2nd verse in that TI song though.

Real interesting comments from J Cole
“When The Warm Up dropped, I watched that grow legs and work for me for a year straight. I saw it reaching people every day. With this, what’s really overwhelming—in a good way—is the amount of people. It’s all positive feedback, but the amount of people who hit me on Twitter or sent a text or quote lines on Twitter has been overwhelming. I seen people who I knew from college make comments like, ‘Wow, everybody on my timeline is quoting J. Cole.’ It’s a really cool feeling knowing that I reached a group of people I wasn’t reaching before. Hopefully, more people will see the type of music I’m trying to bring to the people.

“This mixtape was a part of my plan. I told everybody I didn’t want to release an album that was really good that went under the radar. An album that no one was interested in and only my fans got it, so only 50,000 the first week. I’m not all about first-week numbers, but I don’t want to work this hard and then have it go over people’s heads. So the mixtape is the first step to getting on that next level, and getting on more people’s radar. I think it exceeded my expectations of that. That’s step one. The next step is a single and from there it’ll lead to the album. And then the label will be comfortable putting it out. I believe in a body of work, but I do need a smash hit single. If I want to be in the game and do arenas one day, you need to have smash hit singles. But it’s possible to have smash hit singles, still be who you are, and put out classic albums.”
http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/1...ay-verse-jay-electronica-friday-night-lights/

The mixtape has created more buzz than most big singles do. It shut down nearly every popular hip hop blog, and the word of mouth is amazing. Sure you need a big single, I recognize and accept that in 2010. I have more faith in Cole than most artists; I can honestly say I'm not worried about his album being half R&B, half fail singles, one hit record, etc. I hope he finds a couple songs catchy enough to satisfy the suits so we can hear his album.

On a side note, will Roc Nation expect the same from Jay Electronica? He's not the type to even try to make hit records - dude makes straight up hip hop. What are the label's expectations for him? I can't imagine he would have signed if he wasn't guaranteed a large level of freedom.

I dunno, I really like "I Need a Doctor". Great song about Em wanting to bring Dre back into the spotlight. And the line about Dre's son is real powerful.

It's raw honest stuff and brings back the glory days of the SSLP and Chronic 2001.

RJT

TekkenMaster said:
I dunno, I really like "I Need a Doctor". Great song about Em wanting to bring Dre back into the spotlight. And the line about Dre's son is real powerful.

It's raw honest stuff and brings back the glory days of the SSLP and Chronic 2001.
I agree 100%. I understand the argument about Em's voice, but the song is pretty solid.

MMaRsu

Kimosabae said:
Yup.

It really started with 'The Way I Am' and before now, it was an interesting means to switching shit up between tracks and within his verses. He sounded plenty aggressive throughout the Eminem Show without screaming on every track.

Now? Ugh.

Moderation, man. Moderation.

I don't even think he can actually rap in a laid back flow now anymore.

Lasers isn't even on my radar. You'd think after the success of The Cool, his label would give him some benefit of the doubt. I don't feel sorry for Lupe - dude's an asshole - and if he was smart he'd serve out his contract and go indie or join Kanye's label

Ashhong said:
You're crazy. Lupe's flow straight up sucks.
I dunno, even on a second listen I can vibe to it more than I did The Show Goes On.

Maybe it's because of the hook.

Yeah, Lupe on GOOD Music would have been so much better. I expect Lasers to be a disaster no matter how much of a Lupe stan I am...

I just want State Run Radio, Lupe... And Beautiful Lasers....

Do it Lupe.

By the way I just NOW started listening to Mood Muzik 4 and let me just say I feel all terrible inside and want to hate everyone in existence. :lol

Recon

Banned
That new Dre and Em is some deep shit...but this sounds unfinished, like it wasnt mixed properly. I am getting tired of the screaming, but it works on this song.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
Lasers isn't even on my radar. You'd think after the success of The Cool, his label would give him some benefit of the doubt. I don't feel sorry for Lupe - dude's an asshole - and if he was smart he'd serve out his contract and go indie or join Kanye's label
At this point I agree...Make a couple more tracks like SLR and maybe I'll start caring again...But hey I don't have the attention span for this shit, I've been over Detox for about a year now.

Ashhong

spindashing said:
I dunno, even on a second listen I can vibe to it more than I did The Show Goes On.

Maybe it's because of the hook.

Yeah, Lupe on GOOD Music would have been so much better. I expect Lasers to be a disaster no matter how much of a Lupe stan I am...

I just want State Run Radio, Lupe... And Beautiful Lasers....

Do it Lupe.

By the way I just NOW started listening to Mood Muzik 4 and let me just say I feel all terrible inside and want to hate everyone in existence. :lol

I do love the chorus. But I'm not feeling the beat or Lupe on this one. A shame really.

Good luck on SRR and Beautiful Lasers. Even before the label drama he stated that they arent on Lasers.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
PhoenixDark said:
On a side note, will Roc Nation expect the same from Jay Electronica? He's not the type to even try to make hit records - dude makes straight up hip hop. What are the label's expectations for him? I can't imagine he would have signed if he wasn't guaranteed a large level of freedom.
Calling it now.

Dude's album goes on an extended hiatus, he takes a trip to Mecca, maybe Africa or some shit, says he's "disillusioned with the business side of Hip-Hop".

Back in my day, it was about making the Hip-Hop Quotables, Rap City, and getting an interview with Joe Clair. It's all about 106th and Park these days, and Jay Elec is not going to meld with that world, at all, unless he pulls a sick turncoat.

Sad state of affairs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Show Goes On > New Lupe
> I'm Beamin. Okay sorry I'll stop trolling now.
. And I love John Legend. Verses and chorus are disjointed, Lupe could have done so much with the verses if he sounded a bit less depressed.

And that Em and Dre song is fire. I don't know, I can see it coming off sappy and kinda like Em is sucking up to Dre, but I don't see it that way.

But I'm finally starting to see why you guys are angry at screaming Em.

Dre cosigned J. Cole a few weeks ago, and now we know why...
Without disclosing too much, Cole acknowledges that he and Dre have something brewing. “I did some work with Dr. Dre, without going any further than that,” he says.
O1SH9.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
TekkenMaster said:

I agree, I can't wait to here it when it's finished and properly mixed/mastered.

Also go get yelawulf'a album you cocknibblers.

Ashhong

Just found out Lupe is planning a mixtape, "Friend of the People"

no label interference..maybe this is where the old Lasers tracks will go.

Signed,
Cautiously Optimistic

PhoenixDark said:
Real interesting comments from J Cole

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/1...ay-verse-jay-electronica-friday-night-lights/

The mixtape has created more buzz than most big singles do. It shut down nearly every popular hip hop blog, and the word of mouth is amazing. Sure you need a big single, I recognize and accept that in 2010. I have more faith in Cole than most artists; I can honestly say I'm not worried about his album being half R&B, half fail singles, one hit record, etc. I hope he finds a couple songs catchy enough to satisfy the suits so we can hear his album.

On a side note, will Roc Nation expect the same from Jay Electronica? He's not the type to even try to make hit records - dude makes straight up hip hop.
What are the label's expectations for him? I can't imagine he would have signed if he wasn't guaranteed a large level of freedom.
yes, the same expectation for successful records will be laid at his feet. and all artists feet, generally. just the reality in the industry...and life, really. shit's gotta make money or they don't want to hear it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ashhong said:

Signed,
Cautiously Optimistic
Bu-But I thought mixtapes would cheapen his value as an artist?!

Dreams-Visions said:
yes, the same expectation for successful records will be laid at his feet. and all artists feet, generally. just the reality in the industry...and life, really. shit's gotta make money or they don't want to hear it.

Dunno man. Jay Electronica is like 34, overweight, has fucked up teeth, and rambles during interviews. Jay-Z has to realize this guy is different than the typical light skinned heart throb on a record label. And I can't believe Elec would sign a deal knowing he'd have to release club songs or something.

I hope it's a 360 deal where the label gets some of his tour money, he gets creative freedom. Really surprised it's been days since the signing and he hasn't been interviewed :(

PhoenixDark said:
Dunno man. Jay Electronica is like 34, overweight, has fucked up teeth, and rambles during interviews. Jay-Z has to realize this guy is different than the typical light skinned heart throb on a record label. And I can't believe Elec would sign a deal knowing he'd have to release club songs or something.

I hope it's a 360 deal where the label gets some of his tour money, he gets creative freedom. Really surprised it's been days since the signing and he hasn't been interviewed :(
o i c. I wasn't familiar with his background (or looks. lol). still..it's all going to boil down to whether or not he's going to make them money. whatever road can get him to that end will be acceptable. but at labels today, the leash is short. tolerance for failure non-existent.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:

I'm thinking it's something like that as well. He'll just be an "underground" artist with major label backing basically.

Tokubetsu said:
I'm thinking it's something like that as well. He'll just be an "underground" artist with major label backing basically.
but...underground = not much revenue for the label = no label backing beyond the name itself.

which means JayE not getting paid much.

Agreed. They have to make money like any other business. Definitely happy to see him get paid and on a good major, but at the same time part of me would have preferred if he signed with a good indie like Stones Throw.

Good example of Elec being different: these tweets

The Song that has been floating around, Shiny Suit Theory feat. Jay Z & The Dream, is a 3 minute portion of a 7 minute song....
The portion of the song that is available now DOES NOT feat Madame Charlotte Gainsbourg. You still have to wait for that part.

You have a song with freaking Jay-Z, you get signed on his label, and instead of releasing the song to create buzz...you release half of it and tell fans they have to wait for the rest?

K.Jack said:
Bu-But I thought mixtapes would cheapen his value as an artist?!

He clearly said putting out a too much music cheapens your work, not that mixtapes cheapens your work. Its the overexposure that is bad, not mixtapes.

Reading comprehension, do you have it?

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Agreed. They have to make money like any other business. Definitely happy to see him get paid and on a good major, but at the same time part of me would have preferred if he signed with a good indie like Stones Throw.

Good example of Elec being different: these tweets

You have a song with freaking Jay-Z, you get signed on his label, and instead of releasing the song to create buzz...you release half of it and tell fans they have to wait for the rest?

I can see Jay doing Atmosphere numbers, tops.

PhoenixDark said:
You release half of it and tell fans they have to wait for the rest?
DLC has invaded the music industry....Is over. On the reals, how the fuck did Jay Electronica bagged, Badu? Yeah, I'm hating. Badu is the most beautiful women I've ever seen.....

Tokubetsu

ShinobiFist said:
DLC has invaded the music industry....Is over. On the reals, how the fuck did Jay Electronica bagged, Badu? Yeah, I'm hating. Badu is the most beautiful women I've ever seen.....

She liked his energy. You should KNOW how this new age hippie chicks roll already shinobi.

Recon

Banned
Ashhong said:

Signed,
Cautiously Optimistic

I could of sworn this was cancelled 1 year ago.

Edit: Apparently it was cancelled, and it now un-cancelled...ill believe it when i see it. His last mixtape left a lot to be desired, and thats coming from a huge lupe fan.

Tokubetsu

For all the sample minded heads regarded MBDTF
Mike Oldfield – “In High Places” (Dark Fantasy)
The Turtles – “You Showed Me” (Gorgeous)
Cold Grits – “It’s Your Thing” (Power)
King Crimson – “21st Century Schizoid Man” (Power)
Continent No. 6 – “Afromerica” (Power)
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band – “You” (So Appalled)
Smokey Robinson – ‘Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” (Devil In A New Dress)
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – “The Basment” (Runaway)
The Mojo Men – “She’s My Baby” (Hell Of A Life)
Black Sabbath – “Iron Man” (Hell Of A Life)
Aphex Twin – “Avril 14th” (Blame Game)
Bon Iver – “Woods” (Lost In The World)
Manu Dibango – “Soul Makossa” (Lost In The World)
Lyn Collins – “Think” (Lost In The World)
Gil-Scott Heron – “Comment #1″ (Lost In The World)
Backyard Heavies – “Expo ’83″ (Runaway)
Tony Joe White – “Stud-Spider” (Hell Of A Life):

PBY

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
For all the sample minded heads regarded MBDTF
Mike Oldfield – “In High Places” (Dark Fantasy)
The Turtles – “You Showed Me” (Gorgeous)
Cold Grits – “It’s Your Thing” (Power)
King Crimson – “21st Century Schizoid Man” (Power)
Continent No. 6 – “Afromerica” (Power)
Manfred Mann’s Earth Band – “You” (So Appalled)
Smokey Robinson – ‘Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” (Devil In A New Dress)
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – “The Basment” (Runaway)
The Mojo Men – “She’s My Baby” (Hell Of A Life)
Black Sabbath – “Iron Man” (Hell Of A Life)
Aphex Twin – “Avril 14th” (Blame Game)
Bon Iver – “Woods” (Lost In The World)
Manu Dibango – “Soul Makossa” (Lost In The World)
Lyn Collins – “Think” (Lost In The World)
Gil-Scott Heron – “Comment #1″ (Lost In The World)
Backyard Heavies – “Expo ’83″ (Runaway)
Tony Joe White – “Stud-Spider” (Hell Of A Life):
This is awesome, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom