• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lil homie made a million on his girl tour
We back to back and down to whack a nigga unborn
Miami niggas got them changing all the gun laws
So run Forest got some shooters and they dying too
I got more money than that pussy that you’re signed to

So I guess that RossxDrake mix tape isn't gonna happen any time soon.

#fukkery2016 awaits

FZZ

Banned
Second half is what holds it back from being great for me, so I can't really agree with this. First half seems more cohesive and it's got the more hard hitting tracks.

I can see that. But I guess I just have a different taste because I think most people preferred the first half to the second.

For the first half the only tracks that are memorable to me are Lift Me Up, Norf Norf, Lemme Know, Seniorita, and Summertime.

Compared to the second half where 3230, Surf, Might Be Wrong, Street Punks, C.N.B, and Like It Is all just stick with me. And specifically it's the production used that resonates with me so well. The staccato intro on Surf coming straight off the reverb from the ending of 3230 gets me every time. And when they stop it only to make it louder it just creates this unsettled mood in the track, and the pauses Vince takes in the beginning that just hammer the plucks of each string in more and more just create this vibe that for some reason reminds me of the movie Nightcrawler. It also transfers really well into Might Be Wrong.

Idk the second half just gets me in a mood most records haven't even attempted let alone done this well.

Still though the fact that 11 tracks out of 17 (excluding interludes) stuck with me impresses the hell out of me.

HiResDes

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon is probably my favorite right now...Unless you can get Elmer T. Lee's for a decent price. I live right outside of the Bourbon mecca so I'm quite fortunate in that regard.

Edit: I'm buzzed and feeling like sharing tunes, anybody tryna to dub?

https://soundcloud.com/blackchicken99/schama-noel-back-to-the-topic-freestyle
rVtN8WL.png

ARK322

Neo Member
Summertime 06 is holding up better than TPAB for me.

Kendrick has higher highs on his record and both are masterful at telling a story and evoking mood and atmosphere, but I think Summertime 06 functions better as an album.

More specifically the second half of the record which I feel does everything perfectly.

On the grounds of production alone, I really don't mess with Summertime 06. There's certainly a consistent aesthetic with most of the beats feeling stripped back and sort of woozy, but it just gets boring after a while. Might Be Wrong is flames though. Between that track, Westside Highway, LA, and How Much A Dollar Cost, he's the low-key feature killer of the year.

On the grounds of production alone, I really don't mess with Summertime 06. There's certainly a consistent aesthetic with most of the beats feeling stripped back and sort of woozy, but it just gets boring after a while. Might Be Wrong is flames though. Between that track, Westside Highway, LA, and How Much A Dollar Cost, he's the low-key feature killer of the year.
You're talking about Fauntelroy, right? because Staples is only on one of those songs.

Love his bit on 'How Much a Dollar Cost?'

injurai

Banned
Summertime 06 is holding up better than TPAB for me.

Kendrick has higher highs on his record and both are masterful at telling a story and evoking mood and atmosphere, but I think Summertime 06 functions better as an album.

More specifically the second half of the record which I feel does everything perfectly.

I totally feel you on this '06 was just a really well refined album amidst a sea of very predictable trap. The only other things I liked as much were mostly low key releases and mix-tapes.

ARK322

Neo Member
You're talking about Fauntelroy, right? because Staples is only on one of those songs.

Love his bit on 'How Much a Dollar Cost?'

Yeah my bad I'm talking about James Fauntleroy. The effect/overdub/whatever-the-fuck he does with his vocal tracks are so good. And immediately identifiable for me at this point -- he does the really brief vocal melody at the beginning of Mortal Man, for instance. I really want to hear a full project from dude.

Consequence Of Sound's top 50 of 2015
Kendr
ick
Lamar
–
To Pimp
a
Butte
rfly
2. Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
3. Grimes – Art Angels
4. Oneohtrix Point Never – Garden of Delete
5. Tame Impala – Currents
6. Jamie xx – In Colour
7. D’Angelo & The Vanguard – Black Messiah
8. Sleater-Kinney – No Cities To Love
9. Titus Andronicus – The Most Lamentable Tragedy
10. Vince Staples – Summertime ’06

Need to give Titus Andronicus another listen but man that is a long album, I loved the Monitor though. Definitely enjoyed Carrie and Lowell,Currents, and In Colour. GOnna give Oneohtrix, and Sleater-Kinney a listen, never heard of them.

Esch

Banned
Yeah my bad I'm talking about James Fauntleroy. The effect/overdub/whatever-the-fuck he does with his vocal tracks are so good. And immediately identifiable for me at this point -- he does the really brief vocal melody at the beginning of Mortal Man, for instance. I really want to hear a full project from dude.
Listen to cocaine 80s? That's basically his gig

Not that I give much of a fuck about Complex', Rolling Stone's etc. AOTY lists but TPAB getting top spots is well deserved. It's the one album of 2015 I come back regularly to (in fact, I'm listening to it right now) which is impressive for a record released in March.

Nibel

It's cool they give it the top spot, but seeing the rest of their lists and what albums make it in the top ten (Big Sean a top 10 album? Really Complex?) it's more or less meaningless.

Exodust

Banned
Oh yeah, a new Tame Impala came out this year. Should check it out.

Any website's music list doesn't matter, let alone Pitchfork's or god forbid Rolling Stone's.

But all this list talk made me realize I haven't listened to much this year, hiphop or otherwise. Going to go through your lists when you post them.

It's cool they give it the top spot, but seeing the rest of their lists and what albums make it in the top ten (Big Sean a top 10 album? Really Complex?) it's more or less meaningless.

Exposure is exposure. It's not like I go to these sites to find new music but some people do and if someone sees TPAB at #1 and decides to give it a fair shake that's a good thing.

#positivity2015

HiResDes

esh i want you to know ive been looking for buffalo trace forever down here, shit doesn't exist...still at it though

this i can get behind...my dude went out like a G
Check for the Blantons dude it's the truth. Widow Jane 7 year also great, but a little expensive.

injurai

Banned
It's funny how some of you think Cudi is still trying to be the same musician he started as. Either follow him or let him go. Dude is clearly following a different path.

Courage

It's funny how some of you think Cudi is still trying to be the same musician he started as. Either follow him or let him go. Dude is clearly following a different path.

No one said anything about that. I just find it fascinating he's making significantly worse music than what he was making before.

Esch

Banned

no matter what he plays, it all feels like linkin park homage at the core

2tBWIRa.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think most of us are way past the whole "why isn't Cudi rapping anymore??" phase. The guy who brought us songs like Day N Night is gone. That's fine. The only reason why we're still following him at all on this different path of his is because the music is so bad that you can't help but listen out of morbid curiosity.

Anyways, that new Fifty Grand is beautiful.

Ninja Dom

Guys, Des recommended Stoned & Dethroned by Nacho Picasso. It's good. Very good! Give it a listen.

Also...that Jadakiss album...it's okay too and that...that's just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom