• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

So based on recommendation I decided to get 36 Chambers and Southernplaya to start me out.

Great choice going with 36 Chambers. I was in your position a few years back, and 36 Chambers was the album that got me really into hip-hop (I've never heard Southernplaya). Still pretty new to Hip-Hop, but getting there.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm surprised anyone but Ace and me here still download anything from Game anymore TBH.

How you figure that? He is four years removed from selling over 750k in the US...

RED sold poorly and all that.. But he is still a decent name in the industry..

Doctor's A sold 4 mill worldwide..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mercy and Theraflu both have banging beats.
Neither are produced by Ye, which is disappointing to say the least.
2Chainz has the best verse on Mercy, everyone else should be embarrassed.
Theraflu is a solid song, with fun lyrics. Great B- song IMO.
Mercy has terrible lyrics overall, but it gets carried so hard by the fact of it being straight cooking music with dat beat.
I refuse to believe Theraflu is a single off of his next album. Sounds absolutely nothing like a single, and it sounds like that's just some shoddy TMZ/MTO reporting going on there.

Even though neither are produced like Ye, I think the next Ye album may have the least Ye production on it. Sounds like he's really trying to let his new roster of producers eat (Lifted, Hit-Boy, D'Banj, etc.) while he continues to try and show his development as an MC. Once again, disappointing if it pans out that way. Also, for some reason I'm expecting a more bass-heavy change in stylistic direction.

How you figure that? He is four years removed from selling over 750k in the US...

RED sold poorly and all that.. But he is still a decent name in the industry..

Doctor's A sold 4 mill worldwide..
"Here" meaning on GAF, dude gets shit on more than most in GAF-Hop. Consensus here always seemed to me like heavy dislike.

Man both songs are pretty damn forgettable. But I can at least kind of fuck with Mercy's beat.

And Big Sean A$$ > either songs easy.

love the last 2 minutes in Mercy though. It's like 1983 Scarface soundtrack. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Blackace

"Here" meaning on GAF, dude gets shit on more than most in GAF-Hop. Consensus here always seemed to me like heavy dislike.

the west coast heads we do have here just felt burnt after the Documentary.. Basically he is our Nas..

filler

Banned
Anybody heard X-Raided's new album Sacrimentally Disturbed? I'm on track 3 and this shit is dope so far. So much better than the recent tape he dropped and the previous album. West Coast heads need to cop this one.

IrishNinja

hahaha, ace is wrong for that analogy. by the way! this old school mix (mad late on it) is tripping me out, fantastic work man.

and when exactly did we jump to community?

Blackace

hahaha, ace is wrong for that analogy. by the way! this old school mix (mad late on it) is tripping me out, fantastic work man.

and when exactly did we jump to community?

I am only wrong when I am right :p

Thanks, my business partner in Japan is from NY and wanted an old school NYish type of mix.. He actually got mad that I slipped some west coast gems in there lol

Been a min since we been here

Blackace

Anybody heard X-Raided's new album Sacrimentally Disturbed? I'm on track 3 and this shit is dope so far. So much better than the recent tape he dropped and the previous album. West Coast heads need to cop this one.

I still like X and BLH but I can't really mess with them anymore... They remind me of high school and in a bad way.. lol

CRS

I don't see the point in DJ mixtapes anymore. The mixtape genre has evolved into them being quite serious pieces of work that often rival albums in terms of quality. I'm not sure there's room for tapes with the DJ soundblasting every song, rewinding wack lines multiple times etc. Everyone always complains until the no-DJ version drops.

If a DJ wants to do his drops and shit talking on an interlude, or intro, etc I'm cool with that. But that's it.
This may show my age but were DJs the only way to distribute your music on a national scale? I feel like DJs' names had a lot more star power in the 90s, maybe more than the artists themselves. If your tape was hosted by a hot DJ at the time or a legend DJ, people would pay attention to it.

Also, Documentary > Illmatic.

Macca

Wow, so Mercy. I'm one of the biggest Big Sean fans on here, and even I thought he was absolutely terrible. Pusha was decent, Ye and 2 Chaaaaainz were pretty good. Beat was definitely more exciting in the second half.

Recon

Banned
You think Big Seans album is better then WTT, you just have an irrational hate for that album.

Big Sean album had No ID production. Other than that they are same level trash. Please dont act like you know my opinions when you clearly have no fucking idea.

overcast

That Big Sean verse is so bad it makes Gambinos terrible punch lines look like classics.
Goddamn. Gambino shits all over Sean, cmon.

Theraflu and Mercy are both pretty weak. This is coming from a Kanye stan too. Big Sean's verse is all time bad I think.

Grzi

So am I the only one who liked Doctor's Advocate as much as The Documentary?
Sure, the production lineup on The Documentary is crazy, but the beats on Doctor's Advocate are pretty amazing too. Plus, Game's rapping has improved a lot on the second album, so it kind of evens out.
I get the impression that Doctor's Advocate gets a lot of hate here just because Dre isn't on it, but the album is pretty fucking dope.

kamspy

Normally when I download a single track it get's tossed in the catch all Downloads folder. But I actually took the time to make a folder for that new Killer Mike shit. Don't Die is incredible to hear in 2012. Fucking great shit.

Blackace

So am I the only one who liked Doctor's Advocate as much as The Documentary?
Sure, the production lineup on The Documentary is crazy, but the beats on Doctor's Advocate are pretty amazing too. Plus, Game's rapping has improved a lot on the second album, so it kind of evens out.
I get the impression that Doctor's Advocate gets a lot of hate here just because Dre isn't on it, but the album is pretty fucking dope.

Well being called the Doctor's Advocate and Dre not being anywhere near it.. Is good reason to hate because of the huge dick riding he was doing..

Game without help for hooks is painfully average to laughable.. DA had its moments but I skip like half album, and really skip like one song on Documentary..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom