• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol nyc lol.

And most of them dudes are old NY cats well out of their prime.

The new school of NY definitely has some bright spots like Action Bronson but overall it's the same tired battlerap sound. Someone on SOHH made a great point about a lot of NY rap sounding like the rap equivalent of rock cover bands. Same sound but way worse, and only gets praised because it reminds people of that old sound. Don't get me wrong, I definitely like guys like Maffew Ragazino, Roc Marciano, Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Bronson and a couple others but overall the scene feels like a really bad attempt to remake classic shit. I like that ASAP Rocky is from NY but doesn't sound anything like that stuff

Don't get me wrong, I hope one day a truly great rapper emerges from NY and dominates the game Drake style but has balls

Detroit and Cali run shit now

cdyhybrid

The beat during Kanye's verse on Mercy is sick as fuck. 2 Chainz had the best verse though, the rest ranged from disappointing to god awful.

DominoKid

Honestly the continued existence of red cafes career amuses the hell out of me. He was a nobody on madden 04 and he's basically a nobody now. He must be a damn good ghostwriter cause why else does diddy keep him around

iavi

MupMR.jpg

http://thestampede.bandcamp.com/album/freek-of-the-week -- Free

This tape is actually dated by a few good months, but I haven't seen in tossed in here, and the beats on this thing go too hard not to catch a mention. Dude can spit too, but keeps things pretty ignant. "Legend of Stampede," the ending on that track is some shit. That synergy.

Recon

Banned
Dunno, I haven't seen Scarface.

I will now leave this thread before I am burned alive.

Scarface is a decent little flick. It is hugely overrated, mainly in the hip hop culture. I like the film, but during the 2000's every rapper was going on and on about it, i assume this also happened in the 90's.

Esch

Banned
Dunno, I haven't seen Scarface.

I will now leave this thread before I am burned alive.

Its just another flick about the meteoric rise and fall of a top dog in the game; the only real reason to watch it is for the references. Pacino is awesome, but not much else stood out to me! Godfather and Goodfellas are easily superior

i also prefer Blow

cdyhybrid

Its just another flick about the meteoric rise and fall of a top dog in the game; the only real reason to watch it is for the references. Pacino is awesome, but not much else stood out to me! Godfather and Goodfellas are easily superior

i also prefer Blow

I've seen parts of it randomly here and there so I basically get all the references in songs and stuff, but I've never really sat down and watched the whole thing in one sitting. I'm very picky about watching movies because I'd usually rather be playing a video game if it's between that and watching a movie by myself. Lots coming out this year that I will see regardless of whether anyone else wants to watch them.

Also, I'd rather spend my money on beer.

Recon

Banned

i also prefer Blow
Blow is a fantastic film, Johnny Depp's performance in Blow>>>>>>Pacino's in Scarface.

Scarface definitely has many great scenes, but overall it's an exceptionally cheesy film. In terms of De Palma's gangster stuff, Carlito's Way is much better.

And if you want to watch a truly classic film, go watch Once Upon A Time In America. I want to hear a good producer sample that godly soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5Xczethmw

French Montana – Shot Caller (NYC Remix) f. Jadakiss, Styles P, Red Cafe, Fat Joe & Uncle Murda
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2012/04/06...dakiss-styles-p-red-cafe-fat-joe-uncle-murda/

Bad Boy records, following dat 2000 blueprint of remixing the same song 3-4 times until it's completely un-listenable. Not to say the original was good, I just like the beat. And dat ass in the music video...

I agree about the beat. I like the remix beat with ross, charlie rock and diddy. Remind of back in the day artists would freestyle off that beat on Rap City

Fuck all y'all who hate on Scarface. It's iconic.

I like Carlito's Way too but I think Scarface is better. It's melodramatic as hell but it's just so well shot and the soundtrack is god-tier. It knows it's a product of the 80s and it's not ashamed of it.

Never cared too much for Once Upon a Time in America. It's aiight. Great score from Morricone though.

cdyhybrid

Scarface definitely has many great scenes, but overall it's an exceptionally cheesy film. In terms of De Palma's gangster stuff, Carlito's Way is much better.

And if you want to watch a truly classic film, go watch Once Upon A Time In America. I want to hear a good producer sample that godly soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5Xczethmw

I can't even comprehend someone sampling this. It seems too...serene. I'd think it'd have to be some real soulful shit.

PBY

Banned
Just got back from this club where Questlove was DJing- shit was amazing, dude is a beast on the 1s and 2s; he blended DANCE into On to the Next One perfectly, so nice. Kinda what I imagine going to a Blackace set would be like.

What's hip hop gaf's opinions on I Am?
It's not straight garbage like almost every song from Nastradamus (with Come Get Me being the only good song on that whole album) but it's definitely got it's fair share of bad production and shitty pop stuff.
still, NY State of Mind pt 2 is a five star banger, Small World is classic Nas, Favor for a Favor is amazing, Life is What You Make It is sick and Nas is Like is classic. It's not a "good"album, but I have more songs from this album in my rotation than I do from It Was Written, and that shit's acclaimed. (though not by me, lol)

Nothing about Depp in Blow sticks out in my mind, apart from him having some good scenes with Penelope. I guess his role isnt as loud as Pacino's in Scarface, but it seemed pretty forgettable to me. Blow is a fucking overrated film too, totally underwhelmed when I saw it.
Scarface is too, but at least you get Pacino, some great cinematography and that chainsaw sequence.

hubes

Any love for donnie brasco with depp and pacinco? Saw it for the first time a couple months ago and really liked it.

Jay Sosa

Carlito's Way better than Scarface?..Only on GAF.

That's part of what makes it so awesome. It's set in the 80s, it has to be over the top and cheesy. The scene when Pfeiffer comes down in the elevator or he steps in his mamas house and the love theme kicks in..so great.

Or when he realizes what he just did after shooting Manolo. God what a great movie.

'You wanna fuck me Tony?'

Anyway came in here to say that the HYFR video is hilarious.

EDIT: Hey, it gets even better:

Scarface is a decent little flick. It is hugely overrated, mainly in the hip hop culture. I like the film, but during the 2000's every rapper was going on and on about it, i assume this also happened in the 90's.

1329414634_dog_slap.gif

;)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Scarface is enjoyable for the cheese and absurdity. It's not a good movie, it's just an entertaining one. Which sums up so many rappers, it's no wonder it's a popular movie among them.

Well that and the movie exemplifies most rapper's deluded sense of "badassery". Every little shitty rapper out their thinks they are going to be the big bad boss of all things when most of them don't realize they are just the hookers that those bosses are paying to fuck in the ass.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Animal print is so unflattering. Type of shit strippers with 3 kids and bullet wounds wear or hookers on the bottom of the food chain. Can't deny that ass though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Oh boy. Itunes library got corrupted. :/ Is there an easy fix for this? Google is failing me atm and I'd rather not have to do a fresh install/import... :|

edit: Fuck it. Needed new playlists anyways....

Recon

Banned
Blow was cool, but this...No way! Pacino in Godfather and Scarface can't be beaten. I love Depp, but no.

Depp's performance had heart(especially his moments with his father), unlike Pacino who was just playing a caricature. I like Scarface, but it is extremely overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom