• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Did anybody here actually hear her album?
peterb0y I know you must've gave it a couple of spins!
How was that shit? Was it hip-hop?

Listened to it only once- about 1/3 (a generous 1/3) hiphop, the rest poppy bullshit. The hip hop parts are ehh, some nice beats (2 from hitboy). The poppy stuff is ehh, mediocre club stuff, whatever, but girls will eat it up.

Overall? Pretty terrible.

Absolute lowlight of the album, Marilyn Monroe. Youtube that song to see how bad it is

That's kind of a myth. Columbia certainly wanted to sell more than Illmatic, but Nas was also 100% on board with the more commercial tone of the album; he's said before that he wanted to sell like The Fugees. And yet the album doesn't have a party anthem.

Nas' opinion on commercial rap has always confused me. With I Am... he took a clear jiggy party avenue, but most people who know him will say he hates that type of shit.

Says who? What I said is from a VH1 documentary on Nas. how is it a "myth"?

lol @ Nikki Minaj being so salty at her album "flopping" that she's considering retiring.
www.2dopeboyz.com/2012/04/21/nicki-minaj-says-no-more-twitter-possibly-leaving-the-game/#more-197706

and lol @ her boyfriend having to do every interview with her like he's her lawyer

Nicki minaj is such a fucking creep. To be honest the main reason I'd want to fuck her is to see how what dumb ass noises she can come up with. I hope a sextape leaks.

But Nicki kind of sold out. Now some other female can easily move into the lane she should of stayed in.

Says who? What I said is from a VH1 documentary on Nas. how is it a "myth"?

The myth is that Nas was "forced" to do something he didn't want to do with IWW. In reality he wanted a big record with the hottest producers in the game (Trackmasters among them, and Dr Dre).

The VH1 doc almost made it sound like Columbia told Nas what to do, but even in that Nas admits he wanted to sell like The Fugees

And of course he followed that up with I Am, which was even more commercial and featured his "fuck you" to the underground folks who accused him of selling out.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Could have done with this yesterday when I still had weed but Drumma Boy does a great impression of Cardo with this song.

Drumma Boy ft 8ball & MJG - Smokin' On That Loud

Also speaking of 4/20 leftovers, Killa Kyleon has got a tape coming out with Mouse On Tha Track on the 24th that i'm looking forward to and this song leaked from it that's quite cool as well...

Killa Kyleon & Mouse - Weed & Drank ft. Savage

Someone probably already made this joke but Chief Keef signing with GOOD? that's that shit I dont like. I'm not even that into him although I don't like is fucking crazy, but I don't think his style would work at GOOD in the slightest.

Kanye's idea of trap style bangers at the moment appears to be to have the beat going and then try and throw something grandiose sounding halfway through over it and call it job done (see HAM) while completely missing the point that those kind of beats are supposed to be immediate and visceral which is basically the opposite of grandiose.

Pusha went over there and is just floundering around trying to fit in while releasing mediocre music. More power to Kanye for trying to put on a young dude from his city I guess but still, fuck you mr west.

kamspy

The World is Yours was a pretty popular song to play at parties when it came out, at least in my area.

I dunno about radio exposure, but it was one of the joints you would always hear at house parties and people would get wild to it.

Nas' downfall started with Steve Stout. He's Nas' real Yoko, no Kelis.

EDIT:

I LOVE the HAM beat. One of my favorite modern hip hop beats. That shit is kill to me. Lex skeleton with Kanye grandiose awesomeness spliced in. I'd like to see him work with Drumma Boy and see what he could twerk one of those into. Also, Tyler.

i see gafhop stuntin in that waka flocka thread, shame on some of yall encouraging something so silly

Personal taste aside Esch, Flockaveli is going to go down in history. Influential as fuck for everything afterward. He didn't invent it, but he brought it to the mainstream and refined it into a pure crystalline powder. It's a landmark album in modern southern crunk. Probably to be remembered in the same vein as the early Master P albums and Lil John.

It's a classic, just not be your personal taste.

Novid

Banned
Nicki minaj is such a fucking creep. To be honest the main reason I'd want to fuck her is to see how what dumb ass noises she can come up with. I hope a sextape leaks.

But Nicki kind of sold out. Now some other female can easily move into the lane she should of stayed in.

nicki-chan sold out? really? dude, you sleeping. Thats not sold out. her fucking carrer is a sham who some son of a bitch with lots of money thinkin she would be a black vocaloid. she have trained talent and thats it. she was hot for less than 5 min but the business got no gatekeeper so she can bullshit her way for one or two songs and they become hits.

Mike G was actually really good live but the only one of his songs I keep in rotation is Forest Green. I found it weird that he wasn't on the new OF album at all really, they were really hyping him up at the show I went to.

Mike G just seems like a pretty laidback/lazy guy. So I'm not too surprised.

Esch

Banned
i just see it as a refinement of something that already existed and nothing more or special although i love me some grove street party.

2eatphc.jpg

so what exactly is this shit

nicki-chan sold out? really? dude, you sleeping. Thats not sold out. her fucking carrer is a sham who some son of a bitch with lots of money thinkin she would be a black vocaloid. she have trained talent and thats it. she was hot for less than 5 min but the business got no gatekeeper so she can bullshit her way for one or two songs and they become hits.

nicki-chan?? Tell me you aren't serious.

Yes she has sold out. She at first was a rapper, then a rapper with pop-singing songs, now she is a pop singer with some rap songs. You don't think that's sold out at all? This chick had her own lane, there were no other female rappers as hot as her, but she went and tried to get into lanes where chicks like Katy Perry has on lock.
2eatphc.jpg

so what exactly is this shit

wtf?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Why? We're having a lot of fun getting crunk. I'll blaze one for your sorrows though.
when are you not blazed.

nicki-chan?? Tell me you aren't serious.

Yes she has sold out. She at first was a rapper, then a rapper with pop-singing songs, now she is a pop singer with some rap songs. You don't think that's sold out at all? This chick had her own lane, there were no other female rappers as hot as her, but she went and tried to get into lanes where chicks like Katy Perry has on lock.
so what, am i suppose to respect someone so fake?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I saw a video where Nicki said she was "frustrated" that people compare her to GaGa. I have never SMH so hard. She has no shame in how hard she's tried to jack GaGa's image, much like every other fenale pop artist. Nicki's career is fucking pathetic.

Tokubetsu

KC1ZJ.png

So it looks like everyone's favorite albums, "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" and "Return of 4eva" are finally getting the release they deserve via Nature-Sounds! Vinyl x CD:

e9HU1.jpg

With his Southern drawl and soulful production, Mississippi MC Big K.R.I.T. has been called the natural successor to Southern hip-hop legends like Outkast, UGK, and Scarface. K.R.I.T. saw his profile skyrocket following the release of his debut mixtape K.R.I.T. Wuz Here in 2010 and the follow-up Return Of 4eva in 2011, both of which drew universal critical acclaim from the likes of XXL, Pitchfork, HipHopDX and more. Now, for the first time ever, K.R.I.T. Wuz Here is available in physical form, fully remastered with CD-quality audio and including the exclusive bonus track "I Heard It All."

iMxgr.jpg

With his Southern drawl and soulful production, Mississippi MC Big K.R.I.T. has been called the natural successor to Southern hip-hop legends like Outkast, UGK, and Scarface. K.R.I.T. saw his profile skyrocket following the release of his debut mixtape K.R.I.T. Wuz Here in 2010 and the follow-up Return Of 4eva in 2011, both of which drew universal critical acclaim from the likes of XXL, Pitchfork, HipHopDX and more. Now, for the first time ever, Return Of 4eva is available in physical form, fully remastered with CD-quality audio and including the exclusive bonus track "Shake Junt."

Pre-Order K.R.I.T. Wuz Here (CD ships May 1st, vinyl June 15th)

Pre-Order Return of 4eva (CD ships May 1st, vinyl June 15th)

You can buy them separetly for 12.99 each, or both CDs for 19.99 (select it from the drop down menu).

Praise Based God!

filler

Banned
Mike G was actually really good live but the only one of his songs I keep in rotation is Forest Green. I found it weird that he wasn't on the new OF album at all really, they were really hyping him up at the show I went to.

I think Taco was on more tracks than Mike G on the new OF tape. He must have done something to piss Tyler off ,he's getting the Josh McRoberts treatment

Slizz

KC1ZJ.png

So it looks like everyone's favorite albums, "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here" and "Return of 4eva" are finally getting the release they deserve via Nature-Sounds! Vinyl x CD:

e9HU1.jpg

iMxgr.jpg

Pre-Order K.R.I.T. Wuz Here (CD ships May 1st, vinyl June 15th)

Pre-Order Return of 4eva (CD ships May 1st, vinyl June 15th)

You can buy them separetly for 12.99 each, or both CDs for 19.99 (select it from the drop down menu).

Praise Based God!

This will be my first vinyl purchase. Return of 4eva for sure, gotta see on K.R.I.T. Wuz Here

Listened to it only once- about 1/3 (a generous 1/3) hiphop, the rest poppy bullshit. The hip hop parts are ehh, some nice beats (2 from hitboy). The poppy stuff is ehh, mediocre club stuff, whatever, but girls will eat it up.

Overall? Pretty terrible.

Absolute lowlight of the album, Marilyn Monroe. Youtube that song to see how bad it is

There are no words for this shit. Holy fuck! I really want her to release it as a single :lol
I jumped around a few tracks. Mostly "ehhh" but some of the beats were pretty cool like HOV Lane, I Am Your Leader and this right here:

Beez in the Trap!!

PBY

Banned
There are no words for this shit. Holy fuck! I really want her to release it as a single :lol
I jumped around a few tracks. Mostly "ehhh" but some of the beats were pretty cool like HOV Lane, I Am Your Leader and this right here:

yeah the hit-boy beats are fine- I am your leader beat is totally wasted on this album though.

First week sales were fine, not crazy though- album will have legs though, too many potential hits

70% second week drop. Her record label has to be wondering what the fuck happened and how to fix it. They spent a shit ton on the album - you can hear it, from the Katy Perry-lite songs to the guest appearances.

I think they miscalculated what she is. She's not Gaga, or a pop star who maintains a healthy fanbase that follows across the country/world. She didn't put in the work Gaga and others have in terms of touring nonstop and truly cultivating a fanbase.

I talk shit about Drake all the time, but he seems to truly "get" it. He's touring nonstop - not a bunch of large stadiums, but smaller more intimate college venues. Minaj seemed to think she could just tour with Lil Wayne here and there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So this Chief Keef guy is bad.

Like, really bad.

But I can't get the chorus of I Don't Like out of my had. It's not even really that good. We'll see what Ye and 'em do with this. Looking forward to the Jadakiss bit the most.

Kaizer

Banned
So this Chief Keef guy is bad.

Like, really bad.

But I can't get the chorus of I Don't Like out of my had. It's not even really that good. We'll see what Ye and 'em do with this. Looking forward to the Jadakiss bit the most.

I tried listening to some of his stuff after seeing the Ye tweet last night, but I just can't get with this. He's not stupidly swagged out enough for me to spaz out to like Based God and his ad-libs do nothing for unlike Flocka.

The best thing to come out of Chief Keef is his producer. I hope the dude branches out real soon cause this guy is a bitch ass Wacka Wacka wannabe.

This is pretty funny

If Chief Keef Is “Hip-Hop’s Next Big Thing,” We’re All In Trouble
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/03/gawker-calls-chief-keef-hip-hops-next-big-thing

I'm no fan of Keef but all that "think of the children" bullshit is just stupid. This is nothing new, and I can't tell whether the author is trolling or being serious when he says young kids seeing this young rapper say violent things is an unprecedented danger basically. He mentions Ice-T talked about killing, but was THIRTY so therefore it wasn't as effective. Is this guy purposely forgetting NWA and a host of other young violent gangster rappers?

This dude is trash and will fade once the next party trap rapper emerges

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
This is pretty funny

If Chief Keef Is “Hip-Hop’s Next Big Thing,” We’re All In Trouble
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/03/gawker-calls-chief-keef-hip-hops-next-big-thing

I'm no fan of Keef but all that "think of the children" bullshit is just stupid. This is nothing new, and I can't tell whether the author is trolling or being serious when he says young kids seeing this young rapper say violent things is an unprecedented danger basically. He mentions Ice-T talked about killing, but was THIRTY so therefore it wasn't as effective. Is this guy purposely forgetting NWA and a host of other young violent gangster rappers?

This dude is trash and will fade once the next party trap rapper emerges
#bang. also smh at this 16 yr old wanna be.

kamspy

For people saying Chief Keef and Wacka are bad, I implore you, if what they do is so easy, grab a Luger instros and make the same type of song.

The energy, choice of words, delivery, shit ain't easy. Cheif Keef got it goin to. I'm LTTP but I'm diggin the tape. He's got the new era crunk rap down.

#bang. also smh at this 16 yr old wanna be.

He did pop shots at 5-0. What do you mean by "wanna be"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom